Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Completely unsupported AO-On-Linux howto

Quote Originally Posted by Lliers View Post
    For all those that update to the latest version of wine each time the dev team puts out a new release: I recommend staying with 1.3.33 and not updating to 1.3.34. There was a commit between 1.3.33 and 1.3.34 that causes AO to crash every or every other time I zone.
    A patch *after* 1.3.35 seems to fix the crash on zone problem on Mac OS X. It should be included in the next developmental version 1.3.36 or immediately if you download from the source code repository.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

Just updated my ubuntu to 12.04 and after that my AO stop working. AO used to start normally when i typed ./ao.sh on terminal, but now it just says:

"Usage:
    renice [-n] <priority> [-p] <pid> [<pid> ...]
    renice [-n] <priority> -g <pgrp> [<pgrp> ...]
    renice [-n] <priority> -u <user> [<user> ...]

Selectors:
    -g, --pgrp <id> interpret as process group ID
    -h, --help print help
    -n, --priority <num> set the nice increment value
    -p, --pid <id> force to be interpreted as process ID
    -u, --user <name|id> interpret as username or user ID
    -v, --version print version

For more information see renice(1). "

Anyone else having this kind of problem? I'm not best on the comps, so help would be appreciated !
    Huonosihti - 220/30/70 agent E
    Huonotuuri - 219/17/40 shade
    Huonocharmi - 150/18/30 crat
    Huonopsyyke 149/14/13 MP
    Nanohitter - 168/22/42 NT E
    Hyrysysy - 174/11/20 fixer
    Kinkeri 70/7/14 soldier

What is in your ao.sh script?

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-ao
    cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program\ Files/Funcom/Anarchy\ Online
    wine Client.exe
    That's all that was in Macrosun's original post. If you're not attempting to nice or renice wine in that script then my next question would be what is your actual wine executable?

For instance when I issue the command:

Code:
    which wine
    I get an answer something like:

Code:
    /opt/local/bin/wine
    and when I do a:

Code:
    file /opt/local/bin/wine
    I get:

Code:
    /opt/local/bin/wine: ELF 32-bit LSB Executable, i386 (blah blah blah ...)
    However, if you get something like:

Code:
    /opt/local/bin/wine: Bash shell script text executable
    Then I suggest that you look at the script and see if the script attempts to nice or renice your process. Otherwise, the error message is really strange.

My ao.sh script is:

" #!/bin/bash

# renice fix
    echo renice needs sudo access.
    sudo echo sudo unlocked
    # end renice fix

wine Client.exe &> /dev/null && sudo renice -10 $! "

That used to work just fine before updating my ubuntu. With Macro's original script I get this error:

"err:service:RPC_Init RpcServerUseProtseq failed with error 1703
    err:wineboot:start_services_process Unexpected termination of services.exe - exit code 1703
    wine: Call from 0x7bc49f20 to unimplemented function msvcrt.dll._set_printf_count_output, aborting
    err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception."
    Huonopsyyke 149/14/13 MP
    Kinkeri 70/7/14 soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Huonosihti View Post
    My ao.sh script is:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# renice fix
    echo renice needs sudo access.
    sudo echo sudo unlocked
    # end renice fix

wine Client.exe &> /dev/null && sudo renice -10 $!
    The part in red is the problem. You could try changing the renice command to the following:

Code:
    && sudo renice -n -10 -p $!
    But more to the point, why did you or someone decide that it was necessary to increase the priority of the wine process? Are a bunch of other applications running at the same time as wine and you're trying to force Linux to give wine a higher priority? If so you can just quit those apps prior to playing AO. If you remove the renice stuff (everything I highlighted in red above), then you're back to Macrosun's original ao.sh script ...

Quote Originally Posted by Huonosihti View Post
    That used to work just fine before updating my ubuntu. With Macro's original script I get this error:

"err:service:RPC_Init RpcServerUseProtseq failed with error 1703
    err:wineboot:start_services_process Unexpected termination of services.exe - exit code 1703
    wine: Call from 0x7bc49f20 to unimplemented function msvcrt.dll._set_printf_count_output, aborting
    err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception."
    ... which would result in your other problem. This problem was a regression in version 1.3.27 of wine. It should have already been fixed. Do "wine --version" at the command line and see what it says. If it's anything in the 1.3 version, then you should install 1.4 with the raw3.patch (makes the mouse work) or version 1.5.3 (still with the raw3.patch -- 1.5.4 has another regression that causes rendering artifacts).

If you already have a version of wine newer than 1.3.27, then you can try creating a fresh WINEPREFIX, move the Anarchy Online folder into the new WINEPREFIX, change ao.sh to point to your new WINEPREFIX and try running ao.sh again.

If the whole "install wine with a patch" thing is a problem for you, I wrote a guide that I think is the most straightforward path to getting wine working:

http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php...&mid=8&pid=570

Got my AO working again

Thanks Lliers for fast responding and helping !

I tried to change the end of the script to "&& sudo renice -n -10 -p $!" but it didn't do anything. I'm also using latest wine. However, I somehow managed to get different error, which said that there is something wrong with my "msvcp80.dll". I googled it up and found pretty handy fix for that problem: "Try renaming the file 86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4 053_none_deadbeef.manifest. (Just append something to the name so it's easy to revert.)" and it worked! Now my AO runs as it used to run and there is no problems at all

edit: Few text lines at the login menu doesn't show correctly. But all the texts in game work.

edit2: And I can't remember why I decided to use that specific ao.sh script, which increases the wine's priority. But it has and still works fine, so I'm gonna keep it
    Last edited by Huonosihti; May 19th, 2012 at 21:59:43.
    Huonopsyyke 149/14/13 MP
    Kinkeri 70/7/14 soldier

FYI to all Linux/Mac users. As of version 1.5.13, Wine no longer needs any patches to run AO. In-game store and mouse look and steer both work without need for any special patching.

I will be cross posting this to the other two threads.

FYI to all Linux/Mac users. As of version 1.5.13, Wine no longer needs any patches to run AO. In-game store and mouse look and steer both work without need for any special patching.

I will be cross posting this to the other two threads.
    For 64-bit as well?

There is no Wine-64 that supports AO, since AO is a 32-bit application. On Linux-64 (or Mac OS X for that matter), if you build/install Wine-64, you must also install Wine-32 in order to run 32-Bit applications, but if the general question is, "Will AO run on Wine on 64-Bit Linux right out of the box without patching?" The answer is "Yes, for Wine version 1.5.13."

No promises what regression might be introduced in the next version. =)

Good to know, thanks.

But more to the point, why did you or someone decide that it was necessary to increase the priority of the wine process?
    I was asking that myself ....

It must be related to Ubuntu, as you cannot login as root there ... you can, im sure, but its not the normal behavior how Ubuntu was meant to work, they go with sudo all time.

Never saw these problems on Fedora.
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

`sudo su -`if you want to be the root user.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Did anyone get over this bug?
    Borealis is unplayable on my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    `sudo su -`if you want to be the root user.
    Never ever run Wine as root.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgiver View Post
    Did anyone get over this bug?
    Borealis is unplayable on my machine.
    Could you please post your machine specs?

Please include which graphics card, and if possible which graphics driver you are using.

Nvidia GF 660Ti, driver version 310.14

I read about newer Nvidia cards performing worse in Wine, but a slideshow in Borealis is definitely not what I expect.

And I did not install any extra packages, just plain Wine and the vcrun2005 runtime.
    Same problem in Crossover, just a little bit better.

What is your GFX card, Lliers?

I have some old nVidia GeForce, something around the 9000 generation. Bore is still the playfield that is hardest on me too, but still playable.

What version of Wine are you using. Something newer that 1.5.20? Versions prior 1.5.20 identify the 660 as something like 8300.

I tried intalling on Windows 7 on an i5 with integrated GPU, and it was very slow, but I ran the same installation in Ubuntu with xorg-edgers video drivers and stock "wine Anarchy.exe" and got 3x the frame rate. I can't vouch for NVIDIA or ATI performance, but anyone with an Intel GPU who is experiencing performance issues should try this.

To anyone who is having Linux performance issues, I recommend trying the most recent graphics drivers. They have improved a lot since the introduction of Steam.
    President of Angels of the Night
    Join us!

What version of Wine are you using. Something newer that 1.5.20? Versions prior 1.5.20 identify the 660 as something like 8300.
    Hey Lliers, I tried every version from 1.4, no difference.
    Another GFX card, like a GTX 275 does work much better though.
    Do you know a way to make wine believer there is another GFX card in use? Or may it be possible to disable with registry keys to disable the features of the newer cards?

Here is a list of all useful wine registry keys.

http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

There are quite a few that affect graphics rendering, but I've never messed with them.

The latest nVidia Linux drivers are 319.12 Beta. The notes say that there's new support for the GTX 650TI. I don't know if that means it also supports features of the 660 or enough of the features of the 660 to get you the performance you need. You might want to give it a shot.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast