Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Completely unsupported AO-On-Linux howto

Speaking of frame rates

Does anyone else have severe frame rate loss while in Clan Agency (haven't checked Omni?) It's so terrible that you literally have to guess where your character will be located a few seconds into the future. Most times, outside of that, the frame rates are decent enough but certainly playable in latest stable of Wine.

System: Debian, Wine latest, and geforce gtx 460 with latest proprietary drivers.

PS, not everyone has sudo installed, and yeah, be careful about running things with root privileges.

Anyone able to get the AO installer to run in Wine when the Windows version is set to Windows 7 or 8? It runs fine when set to XP so its not important, I'm just more curious than anything since AO runs fine in actual Windows 7/8.

I have other games running fine in Wine when set to Windows 7/8, so I know that feature is at least partly working.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffiend View Post
    Does anyone else have severe frame rate loss while in Clan Agency (haven't checked Omni?) It's so terrible that you literally have to guess where your character will be located a few seconds into the future. Most times, outside of that, the frame rates are decent enough but certainly playable in latest stable of Wine.

System: Debian, Wine latest, and geforce gtx 460 with latest proprietary drivers.

PS, not everyone has sudo installed, and yeah, be careful about running things with root privileges.
    Yes. It's super laggy for me inside the Clan Agency as well. Nothing I've tried makes it any better. I've resorted to only walking inside the mission agency so that I don't end up spinning off into a random corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    Anyone able to get the AO installer to run in Wine when the Windows version is set to Windows 7 or 8? It runs fine when set to XP so its not important, I'm just more curious than anything since AO runs fine in actual Windows 7/8.

I have other games running fine in Wine when set to Windows 7/8, so I know that feature is at least partly working.
    The wine emulation setting tells the application what OS it thinks its running on and I think it also points the program which version of the API or DLLs (wine's emulated ones) should be used.

Most likely some newer function in wine is less stable than the older one. I'd be curious if you did the install with wine set to XP, and then switch your WINEPREFIX to Win7 if it makes any difference. I bet AO would still work just fine.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

I installed AO on a fresh WINEPREFIX with WINEARCH=win32, and am having really low framerates - often under 5 FPS when in Old Athen or Borealis with a maximum around 10 FPS in shops. "Wine D3D7 HAL" is not available so I'm running on "Wine D3D7 T&L HAL" instead. Selecting the other driver options didn't make a difference either.

Followed this guide mostly to get everything to work: http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php...id=570#proceed

Versions:

- Wine 1.7.4 without special patches.
    - Linux kernel 3.12.1
    - ATI fglrx drivers: 13.11_beta6

System:

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.33 GHz
    XFX HD6970

Any ideas? Do all Wine AO players have such bad FPS?
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

My framerate is not that bad and my system is far less powerful than your CPU/Gfx card.

(Minor note: ATI drivers have been notorious for not being really good with AO.)

Start with trying AO in windowed mode with a smaller resolution, and many effects turned off and see if it's any better. Even though I just made that suggestion, I have no idea what it means if AO still runs really slowly in the smaller window... if I think of something remotely useful, I'll post back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffiend View Post

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? My framerate is pretty low in certain areas. Other places it's not bad. Places I've noticed:

Borealis (could be better)
    Clan Mission Agency (really bad here)
    Jobe - Even if there are NO other players around

Linux Mint 17, Intel graphics (installed the i915 graphics driver but haven't tested thoroughly all of the listed areas), latest Wine from noobslab Ubuntu/Mint repo.

I'd love to be able to run the game well enough in linux to not have to reboot. I bought my laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 with a Core i3 processor) specifically to run linux.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post
    Linux Mint 17, Intel graphics (installed the i915 graphics driver but haven't tested thoroughly all of the listed areas), latest Wine from noobslab Ubuntu/Mint repo.
    This could be your biggest problem. nVidia seems to be the gold standard for running AO on Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Lliers View Post
    This could be your biggest problem. nVidia seems to be the gold standard for running AO on Linux.
    It could be, I'm not discounting that. I would imagine, though, that I should be able to turn around without the camera stuttering, regardless.

Edit I suppose it also could be the Cinnamon desktop that I'm running in the background too. I'm not sure.
    Last edited by liquidzoo; Sep 19th, 2014 at 15:24:39.

Between myself and another player (zewm), I believe we may have at least put a band-aid on the problem.

The problem is in the newer versions of Wine.

Using PlayOnLinux, we both installed version 1.5.31 (x86) and altered our AO shortcuts to point to that version instead.

Some areas are still sluggish, but not anywhere near as choppy as it was before. Borealis, Jobe, Mission Agencies are all perfectly playable.

Bottom line, if you're having this issue, check your Wine version.

It's a wine issue.
    There is an open bug, maybe you can help and provide debug info, see here: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13685

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgiver View Post
    It's a wine issue.
    There is an open bug, maybe you can help and provide debug info, see here: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13685
    The problem is, wine 1.5.31 is being installed and run through PlayOnLinux, which is very clearly a wrapper (which is also explicitly called out in the bugzilla guide saying you shouldn't submit bugs for any wine running under it). Now, PoL seems to be the SOLUTION rather than the bug, but I can certainly provide debug info for the 1.7.x wine version.

Well, if this is the case, the only true solution is for someone who experiences the problem to download the wine source code and run a regression test. The git bisect between Wine 1.5.31 to 1.7.27 could take someone days to complete, but if the problem is indeed in wine and it indeed was introduced as a regression, then this is the way to fix it.

My experience is nowhere near as severe as any of these reports seem to be (lag near 0 FPS in some areas), so my running the regression would probably not reveal the offending commit, but this is the only reliable way to resolve this bug.

Angry wwwwwww <- lots of wwwwww

So i noticed recently after upgrading to ubuntu 14.04 and wine 1.7.xx that whatever key i press on the keyboard the only signal AO gest is "w". and lots of it.

when trying to type in chat it may go something like this : hi! how is everywwww www w w wwwww wwww
    and thats no matter what key i press, evern delete and esc.

mouse clicks works fine tho, but can't really play w/o keyboard.

any tips greatly apriciated!

Been playing really well on with crossover, but with the new engine I can't start the game anyone else having any luck ?

Quote Originally Posted by olterman View Post
    Been playing really well on with crossover, but with the new engine I can't start the game anyone else having any luck ?
    There's at least one Wine AppDB submission that suggests that it works in windowed mode:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...ersion&iId=514

I haven't quite got round to do testing it myself yet, but hopefully will be able to tonight.

It works, but it's really slow compared to old engine

Using ppa from wine-hq and 1.7 version unpatched (+ nvidia proprietary module)

I didnt succeed any good FPS neither with staging wine (it was awful) or with CSMT builds.
    :: Izolenta :: Kynopoc :: Dreamech :: Dreamchaser :: Batmobile ::

President of Molotoff Cocktail

Playing since 2002/06/26

Had a quick try at it I some how ended up on test still though (i guess that is a known problem .. i will look into it ... think i am just supposed to re download a new installer ) ???

If it helps some one this is what i did

# setup wine-bottle
    env WINEPREFIX=~/anarchy_187_64 winecfg
    (config to emulate desktop ... )
    env WINEPREFIX=~/anarchy_187_64 winetricks d3dx9_36

# download
    wget http://update.anarchy-online.com/downlo ... ne_EP2.exe
    cd download
    env WINEPREFIX=~/anarchy_187_64 wine explorer /desktop=$1,2560x1440 AnarchyOnline_EP2.exe
    # start it ...
    env WINEPREFIX=~/anarchy_187_64 wine explorer /desktop=$1,2560x1440 Anarchy.exe
    ( only tried window mode ... )

I will try borderless and setup some symlinks so i get my prefs once i figured out how to move to live dimension , all in all seams to work fine, and i am running arch linux (using plain xmonad ) and nvidia gfx
    Workboy and my equip

Aggroboy
    and my equip

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    History of great experiences during Anarchy Online timeplay:

2001 - I just saw a player!
    2002 - I was in huge battle!
    2003 - I have Made first twink!
    2004 - I have made first quest in Shadowlands
    2005 - I dinged 220
    2006 - Was that an Alien? Holy Mothership...
    2007 - I own my first ql 300 CSS!
    2008 - We did Beast with just 3 guys!
    2009 - Damn, that Xan weapons LoX... erm Rox!
    2010 - Finnaly first character fully geared with all best stuff.
    2011 - Battlestations are so much zerg wars
    2012 - I have made set of twinks for new level ranges, they rocks!
    2013 - I made few 220 characters to level other characters...
    2014 - I saw a player!

what was fps?
    :: Izolenta :: Kynopoc :: Dreamech :: Dreamchaser :: Batmobile ::

President of Molotoff Cocktail

Playing since 2002/06/26

For information purposes:

System Information:
    Dell Latitude E6520.
    Intel Core i5-2520M CPU @2.50GHz x 2
    8Gb RAM
    500Gb Samsung SSD
    nVidia GF119M [NVS 4200M]

Linux Mint 17.2
    Cinnamon 64-bit v. 2.6.13
    nVidia-346 - nVidia Binary Driver - version 346.72-0ubuntu1

Have Tried:
    Different Rendering Devices
    Windows/Full Screen
    Borderless/Non Borderless

Have Not Tried:
    Older Video Drivers

Description of Problem:
    Game does not launch. Launcher loads, patches, allows changing of settings. Game launches, shows only black screen, hangs until "Not Responding" window appears and allows "Force Close" or "Wait" options.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlyaura View Post
    For information purposes:

Description of Problem:
    Game does not launch. Launcher loads, patches, allows changing of settings. Game launches, shows only black screen, hangs until "Not Responding" window appears and allows "Force Close" or "Wait" options.
    This is my experience as well. I have an iMac, and attempted to run using a Wineskin wrapper.
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast