Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - July 17th, 2009 - Questions?

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Zeephonz View Post
    Question: Is a Hoathlan just a skanky Athlan?
    Thanks...I needed that.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Posid- View Post
    ohmygosh poor Means having to read through all those questions

Guess I'll add a question since all the cool kids are doing it as well

Means: Do you have any plans on altering the way hotbars work? The way it is now you can't rebind keys on the hotbars, leaving us having to mouse click half our stuff, hotkeys are faster and more efficient. It shouldn't be too hard adding rebindable hotkeys for Hotbar1, 2, 3, 4 etc. When I was playing both WoW and AoC I had 4 hotbars visible at one time, you can do that in AO as well, key difference being you can't rebind the keys to say shift + 1,2,3,4,5. ctrl + 1,2,3,4,5. Hope you get what I'm trying to say.

I think it would be a huge plus for people that are going to return when the new graphic engine hits, people have gotten used to it so it's going to annoy them when they can't.
    I'll ask Macrosun about it...he might quit again though.

We really need an /emoragequit animation in game at somepoint...more fun than /camp.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Sorry for the delay. Thread back open now!

Hopefull update to the liver servers tomorrow with:

Beta Artillery LOX Symbs not vanishing anymore.
    Shadowbreeds out of the perk window.
    Another thing I can't remember right now.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Yo Means:

Thanks for the answers But something I believe is on a lot of people's minds is more information on the heal nerfs.

Are you halving (or somehow affecting) the amount that heals in PVP? Are you changing the recharge duration? Why I'm asking is that lately, in the flurry of fixing TL7 PVP you seem to have forgotten the effects these kinds of blanket nerfs have on other title levels of PVP - if you need more evidence to this check out my TL2 BS thread in Game Mechanics. Of special importance is the effect on TL5 PVP, a very, very popular title level to PVP in that will see a lot more residual effect to any nerfs placed here than any other title level below 7.

What I think needs to happen is an adjustment to NanoDelta and other methods of getting what amounts to near infinite nano. This, not the amount that BI heals, is what is making TL7 Doctors powerful defensively.

Thanks
    Last edited by Saetos; Jul 21st, 2009 at 22:52:14.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Tnx Means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ornaola - MA - 220/28/70 "teh main" - Equip <3
    Ornael - Soldier - 220/20 "twinky" - Equip
    Kitaniya - Doc - 220/22 "cute doc" - Equip
    Astonon - Enf - 208/17 "enfo" - Equip
    Ornaila - Crat - 217/16 Busty Beauty <3 - reroll
    Ornaenta - NT - 170/12 ''nuky nuky''

THIS IS SPARTA!!

Thanks for answering the questions means.

BTW; suggested way of "fixing" rk weapons without too much fussing around with the actual weapons. -> Weapon upgrade modules: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=557805
    ---

Questions, comments, retaliations?

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    7x Spec Blockers - A little balance work might be needed there...
    Team 7x Spec Blockers!!! Team, Team!!! Not the self ones!

Oh god, I so see this going wrong
    Zirkonium 220 Nanomage Engineer - RK2 - Omni
    Mereditche 170 Opifex Agent - RK2 - Omni
    Misfiled 49 Nanomage Enforcer - RK2 - Omni (First! Mongo Smash!)

i got a question. i found out recently that someone didnt like cheesecake, is the world going to end now?
    Former Assistant Director of Pack of Noobs

Fake Friday with Means, and it worked!

The full alpha of a 1hb + 1he Enforcer is over the top. Nobody is expecting to survive that. This is the problem with this kind of alpha attack...nobody survives it. This isn't pvp this is ganking.

If hope for the Agent profession means surviving that kind of toe-to-toe alpha from an enforcer then you are going to be disappointed.
    I do understand your point, however theres no chance of survival once that first stun lands, enforcers can chain their stuns preventing any defense whatsoever. How is this different from crat stuns?An enforcer can not only groin kick me so i cant run but on top of that thay were given init debuffs..... you've throw AS and init debuff nano's if not perks to almost every proffession and it affects the already low nano-init of agents in mimic by far too much. True proffession was a step in the right direction but it didnt boost us much as 90% of what we can use we can get OSB from others, it just saves us 20 mins if we want to wait out mimic. Not too mention low HP MA's with 3 weapon hotswap and red dusk to inst-kill oppponents.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, proffessions like enforcers,traders,adventurers,MA's and so on have great defense and a devastating offense while some of us have neither. Agent perks don't scale nearly as well as other proffessions and their execution and recycle times are ridiculous. Damage has scaled through the roof, and yet our defense has gained very little. Even in max defensive gear anyone can still get the AR to perk us, while we sit around dependant on aimed shot against proffessions with huge HP, bio cocoon, bio regrowth, 5k dread absorb etc.

Btw it was a 1hb enforcer not 1hb/1he combo who alphaed me.

Will the agent proffession see significant improvements during this "balancing" overhaul?
    Will we have some kind of defense against init debuffs that cripple us?
    Will traders get adjusted so they are no longer PvP gods?

I'm not asking to be a pain, i've been playing agent since beta, and we've fallen further and further behind the other proffessions when it comes to PvP...and as for us being assassins, that's a tough one to swallow considering the 8 proffessions who with minimal effort can not only survive our full damage but kill us with very minimal effort on their part.
    Last edited by Apothis1; Jul 22nd, 2009 at 00:29:20.

The full alpha of a 1hb + 1he Enforcer is over the top. Nobody is expecting to survive that. This is the problem with this kind of alpha attack...nobody survives it. This isn't pvp this is ganking.

If hope for the Agent profession means surviving that kind of toe-to-toe alpha from an enforcer then you are going to be disappointed.
    That's ridiculous. We have no chance to alpha any good enforcer, but it's fine and dandy if not only CAN an enforcer such as that described to alpha us, but that we should expect it?

What plans does FC have in order to bring agent's up to par?

Will we be granted further FP access? (We still can't even use all the RK nanos after 8 years)

Will we see an added FP line, possibly with further bonuses based on what profession we mimic?

Have you considered the possibilities of finally giving agents a static defense that is viable without needing to mimic a profession, such as evades as indicated on Ruse 4?

Are agent's really overpowered with UBT/CH/AS as it currently stands ? (Please answer this one..)
    Last edited by Marinesold; Jul 21st, 2009 at 23:05:01.
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

A great deal of PVM toolsets completely invalidate the monsters..making them pointless meatbags if debuffed calmed/snared etc for 15 minutes. We try to only make "some" monsters immune.

Note:
    Aliens in AI missions have calm breakers. I wanted calming in AI ships to be more of an "active" task.

Question: How is this working on AI ships? Good, Bad or ugly?
    I haven't used calms on ai ships enough to notice.... but in LE missions, the odd exception of a mob that happens to be calmable through a fluke in the space time continuum seems to stay calmed, while the rest of them seem to have a periodic 100% immunity... and by periodic I mean something like 90-100% of the time.

I should've formulated my question more throughly though;
    As you say, the various debuffs move the mobs right through "happy land" into "lame land". (but it is also in 'lame land' when 99% of the mobs in a encounter (LE missions for instance) have a 100% innate resistance to doctor init debuffs and the various calms)

The basis of my question was the assumption that such debuffs would also be adjusted to have a less severe impact on the mobs.... and if that's done, there's no need for 100% innate immunity to the debuffs, and players would be happy to be able to actually use their toolset.

Whew... that was some rant. To sum it up, you can apply the following quoted PvP-related thought to PvM:
    3. I'm not sure I agree on this one...it might be great to have done a great deal of preparation and be largely immune to the tools of others...but it can't be much fun for the person fighting you who finds all his tools useless because of something you did 6 months ago.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Shen stick agent in slayerdroid transferrance, fped into doctor with a slayerdroid and a heal/attack meatball on follow.

*shudder*

Its a good thing the slayerdroid can't be done!

Agents are pretty cool, they're a bit squishy though, and the only alphas they get are generally ineffective against colossal enforcers at high levels.

I really doubt some little guy with a rifle would want to take on an uberhulk with a giant lawn mower blade one vs one...

I'd think he'd rather attack, poison/debuff, run and hide, attack again, etc.

Distractions and delays might help there as well.. perhaps allow agents to spawn mirror image npcs and hide?
    Last edited by Bugzybug; Jul 21st, 2009 at 23:12:55.
    ---

Questions, comments, retaliations?

Thanks, Means
    220/30/70 OMNI SOLDIER - Tyler "Tyfow" Fowler SMG/PDKP -First!
    220/22/64 OMNI BUREAUCRAT - Iliek "Vaporeon" Mudkipz

Ok this question is changed from how it was going to be before your AS explanation (in a good way!)

Are the new pvm AS mechanics designed to finally give ranged advy a good JEPP alternative?

If this 'second attack' is something like backstab for melee advy does this mean the new ranged advy setup will be Burst/Fling/AS/<Snapshot?> (using Peh Weh/Tro Lah i guess)

Will this second attack be profession locked/capped so for example only agents/fixers/advys get it (like backstab) or will it be a case of some prof being better at it than others? (like post 1k AR mechanics)

If the answer to the above is NO, why has JEPP been ignored pretty much since its inception and are you going to offer another viable alternative? (this was original question)
    Last edited by Neista; Jul 21st, 2009 at 23:59:55.
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

With the switch to the Dreamworld engine, will AO see customizable character creation like in AoC?
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

I have a quick one, backstab, could that also get a timer added to it? (so i can see the recharge from the hotbars)
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Hi there, Means!

I've come across people ingame that won't bother with any AI-related business at all, except for gaining a few AI-levels in LE. Is there any way to present and "open up" AI a bit more to some players planned?

Another question I'd like to ask:
    I'd really love to see a new breed and profession. Now I know this can be very timeconsuming indeed, but as of today we have RK-based and SL-based professions. Would it be plausible to to suggest an Alien-profession and breed? If not, how about just a breed? I don't have any specific thoughts about their abilities and such yet, but I reckon they'd have a few perks in "the world of aliens". Would it be possible at all?

Oh, and just for the record: I love aliens.

Another thing: Spaceships, how about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    With the switch to the Dreamworld engine, will AO see customizable character creation like in AoC?
    Rendering engine has nothing to do with character creation...
    Ornaola - MA - 220/28/70 "teh main" - Equip <3
    Ornael - Soldier - 220/20 "twinky" - Equip
    Kitaniya - Doc - 220/22 "cute doc" - Equip
    Astonon - Enf - 208/17 "enfo" - Equip
    Ornaila - Crat - 217/16 Busty Beauty <3 - reroll
    Ornaenta - NT - 170/12 ''nuky nuky''

THIS IS SPARTA!!

I have a few questions regarding the MA profession :

1 - Is it possible to remove the nano cooldown from MA attacks ? Some of those cast a nano as a side effect (which might or might not actually land), and you get a resulting 8s+ lockdown on your nanos. Given the already long recharge on MA heals it really hinders playing. Add to it the delay from the perks ('Wait for previous action to finish') and you really pull your hair off trying to know which from perks, MA attacks or nanos you should launch first in order to avoir maximum delay.

2- Will there be new MA-based weapons ? As most professions got interesting new options with the xan weapons, the choice of weapons for a dual-wielding MA is still minimal. There are a lot of outdated RK weapons in the database, though, which shows it has been a concern to develop it at some point.

2bis - There is no viable bow option at the moment for pvm, except at very low levels. It would be nice to get more effective bows, and maybe a way to swap them on in pvm without having to renounce dual wielding (maybe a multi melee buff would help, just throwing ideas there).

3- Why was Form of Risan changed after its release from the apf patch ? It used to stack with the evade line, now it cancels reduce inertia, depriving MAs of 120 evades, and adding a lot of malus for just a +180 buff. I don't think we sa a major domination of MAs in pvp right after the release of the nano, so what did motivate the change back ? Also, is this the final form of the nano, or could we hope to see it replaced by its original self or a real addition to the evade line ?

4- The MA nanolines are generally outdated, and at TL7 90% of the buffs you cast on yourself is what you have at level 110-120. Would it be possible to get an extension of the nanolines ? Particularly boring is the duration of the nanos (30 to 50mn usually), and extended version at least would be welcome. Among those that would be really worth changing, I can see :
    - velocity, the only MA run speed buff that takes 19ncu for a mere +70 modifier. An improved version would be really cool.
    - brawler, a TL2 brawl buff, and the only one around.
    - the AoE fear line, which doesn't work at all due to the psychic req. Also it doesn't scale on your skill or level, meaning you'll fear the same mobs at 165 than at 220 for the better version. Changing this to a nano resist check like the new pvp line would probably make it useful again.

5- This has nothing to do with the above, but would it be possible to have a file with the friend list saved explicitely, so we can paste it for all our accounts ? A feature to regoup the alts of a person under a common name would also help greatly.

6 -Team play. As many professions can now dish out a lot of damage in pvm, added to their own toolset, there is little reason to get a MA in team, and provided you get your enfo / crat / soldier / doc combo, the role he will play will be reduced to hitting and let others do the work. This is true of many professions indeed, and I think there needs to be a balance between professions in pvm also to make all professions a viable choice in team. I've suggested for this that we make paired professions, which when we have them in team will give a bonus to the whole team. Example : Fixer + Advy, you get a +20% heal efficiency, Trader + Keeper you get a 20% reflect, etc (completely random choices, but you get the idea).
    More specifically for MAs, it would be nice to have a team aura. A crit aura (I know crats have it, but crats have a LOT of things, besides doing awesome damage, and frankly giving them this one is really unfair and never used anyway) and / or an evade aura would be nice for instance. Adding other tools for MAs could also be for example giving the ability to pierce shields or AC for a brief moment by using a special fist nano. During the nano, you can't damage the mob but your team is able to hit with maximum damage.

6- Why not read again Vlain's post ? He has made a lot of interesting suggestions for the MAs on the forums, and is not trying to be rude, just to get some of the issues the MA community shares answered. He's as close as a MA professionnal as we can get right now, since all professionnals have quit the game a long time ago.

7- Thank you for reading all this, and taking the time to answer !
    Last edited by Poufpaf; Jul 22nd, 2009 at 08:51:30.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast