Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - July 17th, 2009 - Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I would be surprised if AS was changed before the end of September.
    trying to give yourself job security until september at least?

First of all, thanks a ton for answering the questions.. seriously if there's a reward for "best Game Director evar in any game" I'd be baffled if you didn't win it.

Means: What do you think the Agent profession should be? A quick killer, but sort of squishy (so an assassin, like the Shade)? Slow killer, but good/decent survival (so a wannabe doc)?

Means: Can we expect the Complete Healing nano to, during rebalancing, be removed from FPability by Agents? I would love a sneak preview of the Agent rebalancing plans, so we can take it into account when building our setups or spending our IP.

Means: How do you think that the offensive component of Grand Theft Humidity influences PvP for the victim? The thing with this nano is, you are punished for having a high Psychic skill because your NanoDelta goes negative and that makes you lose your nano even faster. Was the original intention to nullify the victim's NanoDelta?

Means: Are you aware of the fact that twinked out Traders are casting the Nanite drains (1k PM/TS req) as low as L52? Are you also aware that there is no way to get close to 1k NanoResist at these levels, without perking Notum Repulsor and pretty much destroying your profession's toolset? If so, would the dev team please consider giving lowbie Traders a serious slap with the nerfbat so that other professions (excluding enforcers and Notum Repulsor perked toons) are viable for pvp too? I do believe it would be a good start to rebalancing lowbie Notum Wars.

Means: You stated in an earlier thread that you do not support building an Anti-Personnel Turret during the Grace time (1 minute), so that none of the attackers have any chance to stop this person from APTing. Is your opinion still the same?

Means: As you also stated in an earlier thread, you said that firing off two of the new Orbital Strikes (that should take 60% hp each) for an instant 120% hp damage is not intended. Is your opinion still the same?

Means: Is there any chance of new pets for TL5 pet professions such as Bureaucrat, Engineer, and (maybe, these already have Biazu) Meta-Physicist? The good old Rubi-Ka pets sort of don't cut it anymore at this level, in PvP. The best would be a pet locked at 150, or 160.. if you really must, 165.

Means: Currently there are several L207 twinks popping up to gank L165 and above twinks at Notum Wars fights. Now, a wide PvP range is a good thing and of course the L165 twinks have an advantage over their L150 counterparts too.. but because of the ShadowLevels, the power of the L207 twinks scales exponentially. Would you please consider taking into account the fact that 1 ShadowLevel is equal to roughly 6 regular levels, for the PvP ranges?

Means: As it stands now in lower level Notum Wars (TL1-4), getting as much outside buffs as you can is essential to winning the fight. However, I can imagine that a L14 toon was never meant to run around with a L195 locked HoT in his NCU. Or similar high-level buffs such as Essence of Behemoth, Mocham's Gift, etc. Are there any plans to take Notum Wars down the selfbuffed or at least pvp-levelrange-buffed road?
    Last edited by Lupusceleri; Jul 22nd, 2009 at 12:07:20.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Question: WTF is up with mercs? See thread Linky

Question: Shades and token boards, your view on it?
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Thanks for answering my previous questions, got another one or two about the new upcoming "rebalancing".

These days a lot of profs have way too much defence, it's impossible to kill some profs like doctors 1 vs 1, and a lot of others profs require a lot of damage, sometimes a powerful alpha including an AS hotswap, to take down. I understand that this is all for the sake of making it easier to survive mass pvp, but it's very unbalanced in 1 vs 1 fights. Is this rebalancing going to just make it more difficult to kill people or do you actually plan on balancing defence in general? Nerfing AS and other things like SnD and the CoNC perks seems like a step in the wrong direction. You need to balance the game, not give in to all the whining and give everyone godmode.

One thing I don't like about the soldier defence is that we have a short time of very high defence followed by a short period of relative helplessness. Do you plan on giving us some alternatives? Something like a shield in between AMS and PNS combined with the IOMHH you wanted to introduce earlier? Ofc using this would block you from being able to use AMS for a while. I'm just tired of having my defence be either on or off, I want some alternatives that are a little "smoother". Something like IOMHH would also give us some sort of defence, though nothing too powerful, to use against NTs and traders where AMS is useless.

How do you plan on changing burst and FA? Someone suggested somewhere else that you make it so that the first few bullets have a sub-100% check to make it more reliable, but the later bullets have a much higher check to make it hard to cap / do too much dmg on high evade profs. Another thing that would be interesting is if you made it so that you couldn't hit with an insane number of bullets like 29, but rather a much lower number, depending on your FA skill and the game would check to see if each round landed rather than having everything miss after one misses. Of course this would also mean you'd have to lower the dmg "nerf" after 10k. Also please keep in mind that if you decide to "nerf" AS, soldiers need to have a reliable burst/FA since we'd no longer be able to rely on an EC3 against fixers, MAs, etc.

Thanks in advance :P
    Last edited by Eseb; Jul 23rd, 2009 at 22:32:47.
    Eseb

Luckyspawn: spartans know all about pvp in BS /macro sparta /s THIS IS... SPARTA!!! \n /afk

Menas:
    1)
    PvP is a more challenging/endless game then PvM farming. Will there ever be a meaningful and consumable rewards for pvp?

2)
    An example of the above idea is in my siggy. Please comment on it.

Edit:
    3) Will there be ever possibility to trade in VP for XP / levels? Maybe even YESDROP items that give XP / levels?

4) When will be froobs able to enter buildings in player cities, use GMS and playershops?
    Last edited by Tutomech; Jul 22nd, 2009 at 07:04:43.

Tutomech 220/29/68 eng [ Eq ] || Tutodoc 150/20/42 doc [ Eq ] || Tutoblitz 60/6/21 fix [ Eq ] || Tutofarm 83/8/28 nt [ Eq ] || Tutoforce 220/2_/__ enf || Tutotaxer 220/__/__ tra

Maxisfix: Arguing on the forums is like the special Olympics, even if you win, you are still a retard.
    Yehuda Bauer: Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander.
    Tutomech: There is no real need in a virtual world, therefore: NEED = GREED.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutomech View Post
    Menas:
    1)
    PvP is a more challenging/endless game then PvM farming. Will there ever be a meaningful and consumable rewards for pvp?

2)
    An example of the above idea is in my siggy. Please comment on it.
    In game already: the people you kill.

Lots of interesting stuff in this thread, just got one:

Question: Can we please have the random lightning strikes you see around Ka actually hit folk? Obviously would include knockback effect \o/
    Damage could scale to level. It should hurt.
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

lmao, nice, so much info.. that was like a years worth of FWM

Apothis1, Marine and Lupus expressed my concerns with the answers we have gotten already.

So far what you have said bodes very ill for agents in the future.

Can agents expect to see compensation in terms of a reliable non-CH defense and perk fixes?
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Means, long time player (I was actually playing before notum wars, look up character Atemile if you're bored, anyway) first time poster, kinda. anyway thanks a ton for all of these answers. I just wanna say that this game could honestly be one of the biggest games ever after the graphic update. I have many RL friends that like the complexity and even style of AO but despise the dated graphics. make them hurry! :P

EDIT: means you mentioned adding new music maybe with new boosters, may I be of service? :P

http://www.myspace.com/eggskinwhite

I even started working on a Bioshock song ages ago, way before the game even came out, top song: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=188029
    Last edited by eggskeezy; Jul 22nd, 2009 at 01:27:14.

heya,
    i just got some general ideas to think about:

- how about some kind of boosts for sl-boosloot? (that stuff wouldnt be overpowered if boosted a little, but its very nice, since its mostly only evade or only some skill buffing stuff)
    (because nowadays in my opinion, endgame equip is all about alienarmor, but it would be much nicer wwith those sl items, with which you have to sacrifice for example attackrating, but get 50% more evades than from combined alienarmor)

- id love to see stims, rings and stuff having more importance in pvp again, maybe some kind of improved version of purifying rods, that can remove gth or something?!

- i loved albtraum in the beginning, rare loot, hard bosses, thats how it should be to achieve one of the best items ingame and especially NOT nodrop

- shades, since they cant do much more than pure dmg, should be top dmg dealer in pvm! not crats, engis, bla
    Last edited by monsterfrag; Jul 22nd, 2009 at 01:06:27.
    Rk1:
    Lothaire
    Rk3:
    Lothaire and lots of other toons

Have you read my suggestion thread?
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...86#post5575686
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

april fool or smthing right?
    Seyoura ~ Jijie ~ Delcatty ~ Shaymin

pls join paradise tx

There are currently 3 coders working full time on the engine integration. There are plans to add up to six more coders to the project to speed up the optimization process in the fall.
    Halp!

Anyway, returning to the topic:

Means, are the balance plans intended to be observed throughout level ranges, or purely focusing on the "end-game"?

This sort of question+answer session is very cool by the way
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by eggskeezy View Post
    Means, long time player (I was actually playing before notum wars, look up character Atemile if you're bored, anyway) first time poster, kinda. anyway thanks a ton for all of these answers. I just wanna say that this game could honestly be one of the biggest games ever after the graphic update. I have many RL friends that like the complexity and even style of AO but despise the dated graphics. make them hurry! :P

EDIT: means you mentioned adding new music maybe with new boosters, may I be of service? :P

http://www.myspace.com/eggskinwhite

I even started working on a Bioshock song ages ago, way before the game even came out, top song: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=188029

I quote myself because I define greatness.

EDIT: oh yeah, made another song for a game too, Quake 3. its about my old clan but whatever, Gravediggerz on that soundclick.
    Last edited by eggskeezy; Jul 22nd, 2009 at 01:29:56.

You didn't even bother reading Vlain's post regarding MAs, that's bull****. My comment may not be any constructive but it's true nonetheless. He opened up with Risan because you never gave us any kind of viable or decent reason for this nerf, you didn't say why it had to be fixed the way you fixed it, now explain, we deserve answers as much as the rest of the professions. ^^

Don't focus on Vlainstrike, he has nothing against you, he's just an active PvP MA speaking for the (whole) MA community, he's writing with special characters, colours and all and he seems to like this job, and he does it pretty fine actually. That's just too easy, you cannot skip a whole post by reading the first line of it. You asked for questions, now we want anwers.

Take care though.
    Angevil, proud 220 MA from Rimor.
    Flourishing anew. About twelve GUI/Perk/Armor setups done so far, hopefully that one will outlast the criticism of my perfectionism!

Ars Magna. Histories became artifacts, images of poor effect, memories filled with acts and neglect
    As a vulture of cultures I indeed feed my seeds with much greed, soaked in pleasure I succeed

Quote Originally Posted by Soliartist View Post
    You didn't even bother reading Vlain's post regarding MAs, that's bull****.
    I think why Means skipped over his post was because he's read it all in the past and saw the typical Vlain entrance of "waaa risan" and decided to skip it having heard it lots.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Would still be nice to give some of the rest of us a wee bit more info on the subject for those that dont fully know the story.
    Ra, ra, ra the bot,
    gently down the lag.
    Happily killing clammers,
    rezzing's such a drag.

Hongkong Phooy 220/27/70
    Codexier 60/6/14
    Whosgotammo 150/13/38

1. Do you check 3rd party fansites/forums to gather additional information, these forums seem to be mostly nothing but 220 PvP concerns which is a rather small fraction of the game.

2. If/When the professionals program gets caught up and going again, would it be possible to get professionals that give input and take feedback on specifically non-tl7 issues with the profession. Due to the complexity of AO, issues between the different level's can be very different.

3. Are Battlestations going to be balanced in some way such as equal invites, mixed faction team vs team, or a mechanism to make it easier for the loosing side.

4. Any chance more complex artificial intelligence will be looked into for mobs in the near/distant future?

5. Are you looking into adding a tl5 version of the xan symbiants (the missing useful stats).

6. When will the new tl5 solo/team instance be available for testing for players.

7. Will sl missions (pen missions specifically) reward with more xp/sk then they currently do.

Received reward: 5521 SK, 12815 credits.
    You recouped 2760 of your previously lost Shadowknowledge - remaining to be recouped: 33381.

Was the reward I received on my 215 enf doing a 202 Hard in pen, mobs being level 240. 95327 Shadowknowledge being the amount I received from the whole mission altogether with a pool the whole time.

8. Will ofab armor/weapons be more easily obtainable/ vp and clump droprate increased? At levels below tl5 it simply is not viable to farm the vp and clumps from LE missions, I tried it with my new character at a low level using effective means and gave up after a few hours (was only trying to make a gun) then easily out leveled what I was trying to do. Access to ofab would benefit new players a lot.

That being said a character part-way (say level 200) might be something I would consider for vets who already have a 220 main.
    9. Would it be possible to implement a system to "reroll" a character to a level below it being at levels 50, 100, 150 and 200?

ex1. you have a level 75 character, use the reroll feature and make a level 50 character of any breed/prof
    ex2. you have a level 205 character and reroll to a level 100 character (skipping the 150 level, useful when making a twink)

I have deleted multiple tl7 characters to free up space to roll another character, such a system would be nice and relatively easy to implement.

As a bonus if you ever do happen to implement a new prof/breed, it will allow people to jump straight into it much faster.
    Last edited by Maxisfix; Jul 23rd, 2009 at 23:52:51.
    TL 7
    RK2 - Maxisolja - 220/24 Trox Soldier | RK2 - Blitztrick - 220/25 Soli Fixer E | RK2 - Krakenz - 220/21 Trox Keep
    RK1 - Shanue - 218/30 Opi MA | RK2 - Redenf5 - 218/22 Trox Enf | RK2 - Jrollin - 214/25 Opi Shade
    TL 5
    RK2 - Memorial - 170/16 Opi Engi | RK2 - Maxisfix - 168/21 Opi Fixer E
    RK1 - Clento - 150/20 Soli Soldier | RK1 - Losodoc - 150/20 Soli Doctor
    RK2 - Loso - 150/20 Opi Advy | RK2 - Tachun - 150/13 Opi MP
    RK1 - Krakenz - 150/15 Trox Advy | RK1 - Loso - 150/13 Trox Advyoo.
    TL5 Fixer Information | GMT -08:00 West Coast Canada | Java AO Chat API | Dnet

A great deal of PVM toolsets completely invalidate the monsters..making them pointless meatbags if debuffed calmed/snared etc for 15 minutes. We try to only make "some" monsters immune.

Note:
    Aliens in AI missions have calm breakers. I wanted calming in AI ships to be more of an "active" task.

Question: How is this working on AI ships? Good, Bad or ugly?
    The problem is the some are where it matters. So I feel the need to counter this with... how do you see the proffessions whose major contributions are those often "usless when we really need it" nanos as core toolset. This for example hits traders the most. Their AC debuffs dont do enough on bosses to be usefull, 99.9% of bosses are drain immune AC immune. So what then is a trader? Why have one about except for being an umbral pole? It sorta insults the players for.. lol why did you choose that profession its useless.
    Lowest Damage in PVM (less than docs)
    Most useless Nano Toolkit
    Laughable Heals

Its not like making a mob UBT resistant nerfs a doc contribution to a team. They have excellent health buffs, heals, team hots, DOTs, and moderate damage, not only that they have the breakable init debuff also said bosses usually are vulnerable to the crats init toolset this providing reasonable play choices.

Its honestly mostly traders/support profs who suffer because I have never seen a mob that is immune to Full Auto, Burst, Fling, or that removes Reflects or hurts DD toons. So in summation, rolla DD toon that way your always usefull. Roll a Support Prof and well just assume your not needed on 50% of end-game content.. wouldnt want you being too powerful... not like those people with 60-70K alphas in PVM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Soliartist View Post
    You didn't even bother reading Vlain's post regarding MAs, that's bull****. My comment may not be any constructive but it's true nonetheless. He opened up with Risan because you never gave us any kind of viable or decent reason for this nerf, you didn't say why it had to be fixed the way you fixed it, now explain, we deserve answers as much as the rest of the professions. ^^

Don't focus on Vlainstrike, he has nothing against you, he's just an active PvP MA speaking for the (whole) MA community, he's writing with special characters, colours and all and he seems to like this job, and he does it pretty fine actually. That's just too easy, you cannot skip a whole post by reading the first line of it. You asked for questions, now we want anwers.

Take care though.
    He's obviously got some sort of personal grudge against me that he refuses to discuss even via pm, and is going to take it out on the rest of the MA community - dunno what his deal is, I've seen him respond patiently to far more venomous posts than mine.

I think my stating in this thread that I still don't expect a response on the Risan nerf is a pretty mild jibe considering the number of times I've attempted to get risan addressed in both of the huge threads on the topic, and by private message, as well as the last time Means addressed questions in this format (and that time they were even voted on). Yet for some reason Means expects me to give him far more respect than he has shown me.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    --------------------------------------------------
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast