Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - July 17th, 2009 - Questions?

Do you have any plans to let the still active community help in making AO more attractive again?

For example:
    - there are currently over 11.000 plugins/addons available for WoW due to a good interface.
    - there are probably as many fan/community sites for WoW
    - Other mmorpgs offer site toolkits and art competition, or at least working links to fan sites

Sponsor systems are nice, but would work better if the above would get people involved.

Oh and thx for taking the time and wife faction loss answering all the questions.
    Aspirant of the Means Cult(tm)
    ---------------------------------------
    Bug Busters (Rk2)
    now Froob RK1

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    kxkxkx we come in peace kxkxk
    cfr apf 35
    Heh ... apf 35 gens did that after instance patch... thought a GM hacked the mob for a moment ;p
    -------------------

Kaze (RK1):
    Eltaco238 - 220/30/70 Adventurer -- Mptaco238 - 220/27/70 Meta-Physicist
    Engytaco238 - 220/30/70 Engineer -- Crattaco238 - 220/30/70 Bureaucrat

Leet Snuggle Club (RK1): ~Have you hugged a leet today?~
    Leetums - 200/0/0 Fixer -- Fuzzyleet 200/0/0 Agent - Rangytaco238 200/0/0 Trader

Leet Version plox!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornael View Post
    Rendering engine has nothing to do with character creation...
    Oh, but it does. The current rendering engine apparently composes the character out of body, head and various accessories (backitem, helmet, weapons, floating thingies). Additionally the body has a few separate textures. Customizing any one of those as a whole is easy, but what if you wanted to select eyes, hairstyle and skin color separately? In the current system that would require thousands of different textures, as opposed to the current couple dozen. So the rendering engine has to be improved or changed in order to support more detailed customization at character creation.

And while I'm on the topic of character customization... Give us an affordable hair salon with the new rendering engine! Paying 25mil for plastic surgery just to get my hair changed is outrageous. Also, since character models are (hopefully) changed drastically for the better with the new rendering engine, can we get one free plastic surgery pass for each character?

I have a question...

Why is the storyline being taken in such a ridiculous direction?

Rubi-Ka is Special for a reason, and it should remain that way, or at the very least isolated to locations with Similar Properties to Rubi-Ka.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I have to say, Nice work Means

Im not goin to bash with questions you have pretty much answered all of them i would ask.

but i would like more alien attacks on major omni/clan/neut cities (like the one a week ago in omni enertainment), and maybe look into the melee skills that most have to use but dont do anything?
    parry and riposte?

great work tho m8, keep it up
    Styles9999<220/21/50 MA-Main-
    Proud member of Obsidian Order!
    All accounts closed as of 04-28-10

parry and riposte yes... since it's not working as intended why not remove the req from all weapons? it's just annoyng to have to dump IP into a few buffing weapons in order to equip them
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Hi Means, I hope you're enjoying the Scandinavian summer.

Here's a few things for you to think about on those rainy nights:

1) Will Taurus' loottable ever be updated so he too can feel like a true endgame mob and not suffer the humiliation of being skipped most of the time?

2) AO currently have 1 endgame healer profession and 2 endgame tanking professions (where 1 have trouble with AoE tanking). Is there any plans on making more professions viable as endgame healers and tanks? (one suggestion could be to make them work differently from the current ones, lower actual healing, but adding an absorb or short term AC buff, buffing up the keeper Purify perk to actually allow for taking aggro, high AC tanking opposed to high hp tanking etc.)

3) Some mobs and nanos drain nano points from the target. This affect the targets very differently atm. Some professions get shut totally down, while others laugh and continue unhindered. Is there any plans to have all professions rely more upon an active use of nanos and thus balance how these nano point drains affect players?

4) Similar to the above, but concerning skill drains. Draining just a few points of nano skills from some professions make them loose a large part of their offensive, whereas draining the same amount on others have no effect at all. Is there any plans to balance this?

5) Is there plans to let +nano dmg effects also affect the damage of DoTs?

6) Players have perks to hurt nano dmg and heal efficiency. Is there any plans on adding perks that lower weapon users damage output? (like negative add. dmg effects)

7) Perks with downsides like the trader Sacrifice perk force players think twice before executing a specific perk action and not just press it every time it's up. Is there any plans to make more of this kind of actions?

8) Currently reflects are very powerful and it's almost mandatory to any team, especially tank teams. Is there any plans to rework this and make it less required?

Thank you for your time. It's very appreciated to see you input on the forums regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Myreyliib View Post
    Technically speaking, my two week vacation started 4 hours ago, yet I'm still there (leaving when I post this).

I've made a list of assignments, which would be really nice to get of my desk before I return. Currently it's tallying 17 points.

My question is: Should I

A) only work on the stuff I can do at home.
    B) ignore it.
    C) suffer the humiliation of appearing at work in my vacation.

How do you handle the latter? Is it easier to set a bad example, when you're the boss?
    (Yes, going to work in your vacation is a bad thing)
    He chose C. I met him here at the office yesterday and laughed quietly
    Why play melee when crat pets can do your job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldebeast View Post
    Simple, why the melee hate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...Melee people/pets are needed...

Quote Originally Posted by tacoleet View Post
    Heh ... apf 35 gens did that after instance patch... thought a GM hacked the mob for a moment ;p
    Always been in there.

Quote Originally Posted by ninor View Post
    - there are currently over 11.000 plugins/addons available for WoW due to a good interface.
    Add-ons aren't due to a good interface, it's due to the lack of functionalities and laziness of players. I have no knowledge about wow addons but when I google it... Most downloaded add-ons seem to be:
    1) map packs (we already have that in AO)
    2) quest guides (no reason for FC to support that)
    3) instances guides and drops (idem)
    4) inventory management (not a top priority but FC should do something there)
    5) aggro meters, mobs toolset/drops/stats, dps stats, automatized gameplay, .. hell they even have addons that tell you the incoming boss attacks/debuffs with their cooldown... ---> no thx!
    blah

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    There will always be a "1% faster" leveling path, and as long as it exists players will follow it...even if it is mind numbingly boring. While I can't pretend I haven't done hecklers I did have some fun when I did. We will do what we have been doing the whole time...keep adding alternatives to current leveling process and players will choose their own path rather than us forcing them on it. That being said I think this is more an expression of displeasure of the speed of leveling than a real question. I would also like to mention that any in-game activity that has been done for 1000000's of hours over a period of 6 years can't really be described as a design "failure".
    Hecklers fit into the SL storyline very nicely. I don't think they were a design failure. If people want to grind hecklers, let them. However...

There are three main ways of implementing the grind. One of them is doing it fairly with a self-contained team. The other two, kiting and outside tanking however, are questionable at the very least.

Kiting reserves a disproportionately large are of the playfield for just a few players. It's not uncommon that you can't find any free area with reasonable spawntime in Elysium, because all of those are filled with kiters. There are a few auxiliary areas, but they seem to have spawntimes in the order of hours, and can quickly be depleted if multiple teams head there.

Outside tanking is not as bad a space hog, but since the tank is usually someone's main and doesn't require compensation, it teaches people to expect great rewards with negligible risk and cost. This can easily lead to an attitude where people refuse to participate in killing hecklers without an outside tank. A similar thing has happened with inf mishes - people simply refuse to join a team without a 220 roller.

Both of these questionable ways can also lead to the player leveling more quickly than he can acquire new equipment. This results in players staying in Elysium far longer than they should, further overtaxing the environment.

I have one suggestion that could help alleviate the outside tanking issue: besides calculating how much damage the team has done on the mob, keep track of who has tanked how many hits from the mob. The team will only get full XP if all hits have been tanked by someone in their level range. Otherwise the XP will be multiplied by the ratio of inside-tanked hits to all hits. The level range mechanic is in place to allow sharing XP between teams in a multi-team raidforce, although I'm not sure if it is necessary.

For kiting, I think the best thing would be to improve mod AI a bit. Perhaps make them try to calculate lead in their movement vector so they will end up in a position where they can actually hit the player. Or simply make them do more random decisions. Say, a 10% chance per second to stop for a couple seconds to catch their breath while chasing a player.

gief root graft to hecks
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

This!

For more precision, from memory:

Deactivated:
    - Footsteps for many kind of grounds (tap tap clak)
    - Ricochets on ranged misses (kapow) should the new engine have bullets hitting walls that'll buff it's cool skill
    - Ranged and mellee hits (zap thud squish) customized for target type (light, plated, etc..) and health level

Unused (aka not assigned, fixing em is a big workload)
    - Nanoprograms custom sounds, Arid Rift makes use of the heal sounds, kudo for that.
    - Nanoprograms custom casting
    - Child sound on any recent weapon
    - Music in most indoors area (really)

Also, ejecting cartridges will be back in our lifetime?

Thank you for your time if you answer that.
    I'd also love to see - or hear - these things. Browsing through AOs sound arsenal sure is fun. Music and Sounds there are simply great. I reckon it would be worth the hassle to bring those unused treasures into the game.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed To Whom it May Concern.

With %hit on perks, how are you planning to deal with chained perks? Will one be able to continue on the perk chain even if you miss one part, akin to a the current shade perks, or will a broken chain mean a broken chain?

Or do you envision 100% on current perkables, and a decreasing %hit of perks as evades grow ever higher?
    Proud member of the Wolf Brigade, a supporter of the NDI.

{Edited by Corwynn - Profanity, even badly spelt, is against the forum guidelines}
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    "Hush little baby, don't say a word"
    "Mommy's gonna get you an Ofab Bird."
    "If that Ofab Bird won't swing"
    "Mommy's gonna buy you an Ofab Ring."

Quote Originally Posted by Apothis1 View Post
    Your alpha recycles quick enough for you to recover, and noone with the exception of a shade/soldier is dropping you before then.
    tbh if thats rly ur opinion then ur doing it wrong. Shade, soldier, nt, engi, ma, (ranged)adv all capable of dropping enfo within a minute. Agent, mp, trader, keeper 2 minutes tops, the only profs that need to spend 3+ mins to kill us are docs/fixers/crats. So concidering that enf alpha recharge is roughly 1 and half mins we get 1 or maximum 2 tries vs most of the profs and thats not concidering the time spent looking for the softspot when to alpha. Besides theres a way to easily survive 1he/1hb even toe to toe, u got only urself to blame for not working out what it is.

Questionz:

Means why does improved keeper nanos have such ridiculous high requirements, even higher than some nano casting professions (crat etc) and is this gonna be looked at?

Means BR is by a million miles the best nemesis nano and completely overpowered in todays AO will this be looked into? Either with other nemesis nanos being changed or BR being seriously reduced...?

Means why does % resist nanos not work?

Means why is the sky blue?

Means will notum repulsor be given a serious look at in terms of the perks that go with it to actually be somewhat worthwhile perking for certain professions other than at tl3-4 (with OB's) and at all levels without OB's?

Means will the serious advantage in tl3-4 APT's be looked into as they scale completely wrong than APT's in tl1, 2, 5, 6, 7 where their not completely overpowered alpha tools?

Means pie?

Means when will my price I won 4 years ago for coming up with the name "Rubi-Ka Rumble" for the pvp-tournament be ingame?

Means fix doubles and triples plx?

Means when will parry and riposte be fixed?

Means do you promise that this wont turn into Neutral Online with the incoming (apparently)neck items, and the gaps which where intended will stay to make people favor sides in terms of stats?

Means...

Hmm that was it I guess... Will prolly add more later!!
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, so I apologize if this has already been asked/answered.

1)Will Combined armor ever be dethroned as the end-all/be-all armor without which you are severely disadvantaged(in most cases) in both pve and pvp?

2)If combined armor is ever replaced with something better, will it still be on the same horrible 1/10 drop-rate which everyone in the guild needs 14 of to complete a set?

Honestly, that AI armor grind is what drove most people away from this game and there was a dramatic shift in the attitude of the community when the main focus of the game became farming billions of credits or farming hundreds of AI raids.

3)Will we ever get a scoreboard in the Battlestation that shows kills, deaths, damage done, healing done and control points captured?
    Last edited by Rak; Jul 22nd, 2009 at 14:37:02.
    Youtube
    Twitch

AO
    Rakhabit 220/20 Agent FINALLY
    Halfempty 220/16 Engineer/Evade Negator
    Primatene 168/20 Original Doc Twink

TSW
    Myyah "Read" Hawwa
    Shadow Dominion
    Cerberus

I dont know if its too much to ask but:

Means could you give us a brief overview of what every prof should excel at after the upcomming changes? What functions should they have in your eyes?

greets

Derrien

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    Add-ons aren't due to a good interface, it's due to the lack of functionalities and laziness of players.
    Not laziness so much as a far greater pool of talented people to draw upon, as well as more open system for changing things. Add-ons for Warhammer were absolutely awesome and really quite amazing, and that was with 1/5 the population of WoW.
    I have no knowledge about wow addons but when I google it... Most downloaded add-ons seem to be:
    1) map packs (we already have that in AO)
    2) quest guides (no reason for FC to support that)
    3) instances guides and drops (idem)
    4) inventory management (not a top priority but FC should do something there)
    5) aggro meters, mobs toolset/drops/stats, dps stats, automatized gameplay, .. hell they even have addons that tell you the incoming boss attacks/debuffs with their cooldown... ---> no thx!
    There are other types that are extremely good such as allowing customisation of your GUI in-game, ability to see multiple health bars in whatever shape you like, damage warnings, etc. that just make the game that much more immersive. Frankly, a huge number of them are the sorts of things you see in game suggestions in AO all the time.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread yet, so I apologize if this has already been asked/answered.

1)Will Combined armor ever be dethroned as the end-all/be-all armor without which you are severely disadvantaged(in most cases) in both pve and pvp?

2)If combined armor is ever replaced with something better, will it still be on the same horrible 1/10 drop-rate which everyone in the guild needs 14 of to complete a set?

Honestly, that AI armor grind is what drove most people away from this game and there was a dramatic shift in the attitude of the community when the main focus of the game became farming billions of credits or farming hundreds of AI raids.

3)Will we ever get a scoreboard in the Battlestation that shows kills, deaths, damage done, healing done and control points captured?
    It already has. AI armor is fine. Most professions use Ofab and some db armor in combination. We don't need 'ANOTHER' grind to get our end-game armor. We need more pvp content!

Bump for scoreboard!!!!
    Zirkonium 220 Nanomage Engineer - RK2 - Omni
    Mereditche 170 Opifex Agent - RK2 - Omni
    Misfiled 49 Nanomage Enforcer - RK2 - Omni (First! Mongo Smash!)

Hey Means.

You forgot to lock the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Hey Means.

You forgot to lock the thread.
    Hey.

Nope he has not :P

He wrotet: "Sorry for the delay. Thread back open now!" So guess he will answer more questians

From Kehaan.
    /Kehaan - lvl 220 Crat - Atrox/
    /Kehaax - lvl 150 Fixer - Atrox/
    /Kehtra - lvl 210 Trader - Atrox/
    /Kehelectric - lvl 165 NT - Atrox/
    /Kehxao - lvl 150 Doctor - Solitus!?/
    A proud advisor of Cerberus

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast