Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - July 17th, 2009 - Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    No. Not while I am in charge at any rate.

That being said a character part-way (say level 200) might be something I would consider for vets who already have a 220 main.

This is called "waffling"? 220 just feels offensive...200 a little less.
    Means about this I think a good base would be 3 new items in the Vet shop.

The player level must be 5 and under to use these items, the items will only set levels and perks and not do anything else.

Level 100 Vet Token, 20 Vet Points, This item will set your player level to 100.
    Level 150 Vet Token, 25 Vet Points, This item will set your player level to 150.
    Level 200 Vet Token, 30 Vet Points, This item will set your player level to 200.

That is a good amount of vet points for the item and it will cause you to skill all of the lower level content, but at the trade off of getting to a higher level faster. Also because of the use of the leveling chr's Vet Points this will limit what other items they can access.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post

The player level must be 5 and under to use these items, the items will only set levels and perks and not do anything else.

Level 100 Vet Token, 20 Vet Points, This item will set your player level to 100.
    Level 150 Vet Token, 25 Vet Points, This item will set your player level to 150.
    Level 200 Vet Token, 30 Vet Points, This item will set your player level to 200.

That is a good amount of vet points for the item and it will cause you to skill all of the lower level content, but at the trade off of getting to a higher level faster. Also because of the use of the leveling chr's Vet Points this will limit what other items they can access.
    Only problem with this is how Vet Points are given, this means you would never have to level a character 1-200 again on that account as every new character would have all Vet points from start.

I think i would rather see it employed as 1-2 extra slots that open when you get your first/second 'natural' 220 alt
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    You are not describing difficulty but game design failures. I'm quite happy that Elder Halls doesn't need 12 players to achieve, it would never run.
    So requiring 5 people is equally difficult to requiring 10 or 12 people?

If elder halls would never run with 12 then that's a problem with the risk vs reward of elder halls. Beast raids, at least on rk1, are constantly running with 12 or more players. Finding 12 players is not the problem, making them want to go is.

If wow difficulty consist of forcing you to restart a raid because you missed something for 2-3s I'm glad I'm not playing it.
    Asking you to pay attention for a 5-10 minute fight is too difficult for you? Why do you care about aggro meters or boss warnings if this is the case? 2-3s should be more than enough time for anyone who a) has a pulse and b) is paying attention.

Thing you are missing is, of all the stuff I/you listed, none of of them are really needed. There are a lot more stuff that I would like to see changed before this. Sure some stuff could be nice to have but are they really needed? I don't think so.
    How necessary is a new engine? the engine renders things just fine. Sometimes you need to improve things to current standards in order to attract people to your game. They're upgrading the engine from the 2001 model, the UI is still stuck in the 2003 edition.
    Last edited by Raynefists; Jul 22nd, 2009 at 21:26:59.
    teh fool :: Raynefists :: playing since beta 3 (sort of)

I like, but I don't... As I was saying to you earlier in IRC, tech: sounds to me like this would kill for new players since then noone (or at least significantly fewer people) is starting from scratch anymore. from my perception it seems that most rk2 people play either level 150-174 or 215-220 ranged toons so if you 'drop them off' around those ranges (ie 150 and 200) noobs are going to be screwed because there is absolutely noone to level with. I make a big deal out of helping people on noob island, subway and in totw to break them into the basics every time I roll a new toon.. but if I can go straight to 150/200 hell yeah Im gonna do that..

In other words: with all this debate about AO not being noob-friendly enough... this would be the ultimate noobkiller as far as I am concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    This ranks high among the most useless advice given on a forum so far.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=558123 Started a new thread on the idea to work it out some instead of flooding this thread with it and having it get lost.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Actually, the vet points required seem low.
    30 for Level 200
    10 for RK Recall Beacon
    10 for SL Recall Beacon
    7 for Yalm
    57 Total.

Hmm I would still have enough vet points for 350 or 400 tokens. skip the yalm and I am sure I have enough for 400 tokens. I have to ask would this level 200 toon have any AI levels? completed research? SL faction? I would think for 30 Vet points no to all those. You sure could build a fast S10 twink with a 1k board out of the box with some peoples vet points if you forgo recall beacons and yalm.

Now if say 65 Vet Points bought you a level 200 toon with max AI levels and maxed research for level 200 and right click item that would set your faction to the minimum needed to be a proper level 200 toon I might be interested.

Still using vet points for this is a good idea. Actually a good use of the vet points.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Any changes upcoming to tl 7 sites 250+, with all the empty space on RK i dont think its unreasonable to add a few sites (even double the number existing now). It is really no fun to have one tl 7 war once every 2 months and omni keeping them so easily cuz we get 70+ to defend. With the addition of more tl 7 sites, you will see more wars and less people.

And/or would it be out of the question to ask for the same types of towers that are custom built for 250+ sites being able to be custom built for lower lvl sites (title level locked ofc).

Will you be giving out more full IPR's for all these "changes" you will be making in the near future?

Thanks Means!

Best friday with means ever, please do one of these at least every 3-6 months.
    ->X<- Proud Advisor of Genesis->X<-
    220/23 Soldier Xscape ->X<- Xscapee Agent 220/22
    Xxdevisxx Engineer 216/15

AO satisfaction level :[████] Content :[]: Discontent

Quote Originally Posted by Jinday View Post
    I like, but I don't... As I was saying to you earlier in IRC, tech: sounds to me like this would kill for new players since then noone (or at least significantly fewer people) is starting from scratch anymore. from my perception it seems that most rk2 people play either level 150-174 or 215-220 ranged toons so if you 'drop them off' around those ranges (ie 150 and 200) noobs are going to be screwed because there is absolutely noone to level with. I make a big deal out of helping people on noob island, subway and in totw to break them into the basics every time I roll a new toon.. but if I can go straight to 150/200 hell yeah Im gonna do that..

In other words: with all this debate about AO not being noob-friendly enough... this would be the ultimate noobkiller as far as I am concerned.
    How many people actually have this many vet points?

I sure don't, and have been active for a few years.
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

Quote Originally Posted by Raynefists View Post
    How necessary is a new engine? the engine renders things just fine. Sometimes you need to improve things to current standards in order to attract people to your game. They're upgrading the engine from the 2001 model, the UI is still stuck in the 2003 edition.
    it doesnt render things "just fine". it renders thing "barely enough". it also cant handle more than 1 person in an area without starting to stutter. and throwing modern computers at it doesnt even do anything, and can even make things worse.

the new engine is critical if ao is to survive, let alone attract and actually handle large populations.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

One thing comes to mind regarding 220 neuts switching to omni/clan... are there going to be new ways of earning tokens except bs/pvp mish and token guns farming in the future? would seem like a good time to expand the choices for getting tokens i'de think, another thing for Means todo list
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Quote Originally Posted by nanoforcer View Post
    One thing comes to mind regarding 220 neuts switching to omni/clan... are there going to be new ways of earning tokens except bs/pvp mish,le mish, apf drops, vet points, dread quests, boss drops and token guns farming in the future? would seem like a good time to expand the choices for getting tokens i'de think, another thing for Means todo list
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Meanyred View Post
    1. is there any chance in near future to get another server sweep of level 1-5 toons that have not been logged in a certain ammount of time?
    This ^
    Coming Soon!

Thumbs up Well....

About the whole specials haveing timers and being starter attacks only...

Ever take into consideration how long some pvp battles or duels can take??

Only thing i can say is see ya, you should certinly go through with nerfing the attacks that are guarenteed to land. So maby some of the experienced players will say, wow this is so cool im gona quit. kinda like im doing after the thought of haveing 1 special at the begining of a battle..

Well if you follow through with this nice patch i can gaurentee you wont see me around anymore..

Oh and another idea.. Lets try not to lose the whole gameing comunity b4 u bring this new engine out you've been talking about for 2 years.

Thanx for the 5 years of fun times. Hope there is more to come..

More Dungeons would be great. We are working on one now conceptually for the next unannounced booster.
    My favourite dungeon is still the foremans/biomare one. Why?
    1. Worn passes you upgrade to be able to run around further inside without being attacked by most mobs in the dungeon.
    2. Transporters used to go to the next section which will not work if you've got agg so no training to the transporter.
    3. Exit buttons here and there which send you just inside the front door.
    4. Decent quests with nice XP, some tokens and an item reward to give some added purpose to being there.

Would be nice if they added the exit idea to some existing stuff. Like an IS like portal you can use that pops up and stays up after you finish off a team mission boss. Maybe make it only show up if you killed everything else off in there before killing the boss. Also one for other dungeons that stays up for about 5-10 minutes after taking the boss down.

It would cut down on the seemingly pointless time spent navigating through an empty large mission area like a rat in a maze. Then anything that would cut down on training in open dungeons would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanyred View Post
    1. is there any chance in near future to get another server sweep of level 1-5 toons that have not been logged in a certain ammount of time? I know it isnt a very important issue but it is stressing to sit at the char create page one hour before finding a name because most of the interesting choises are stuck on lvl 1 toons made several years ago.
    For froob accounts only I would say. If a paid account has gone inactive, it should retain its data. Other than that, YES PLEASE! Too many people have made toons on froob accounts for name 'placeholders', which is crap. Also, I don't even think lvl 1-5 covers it. There are a crapload of names that are anywhere from lvl 10-50 or so, which have not leveled in years, and I doubt they are paid or twinks. Someone probably tried AO and then quit, not caring to close the account.

FC has access to every account holder's e-mail address, so why not have an automated e-mail sent to any froobs who have had no account activity for 3 months, and if they do not respond by 6 months, delete the account! Also stick with the original idea and any lvl 1-5 froob (or maybe 1-10) who has not been logged on in that same time frame, will receive the same notifications and also subject to removal.

This isn't priority or anything. Work on it after the engine/next booster or whatever, but it is important in the long run I think.
    Last edited by Alchemica; Jul 23rd, 2009 at 07:43:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemica View Post
    For froob accounts only I would say. If a paid account has gone inactive, it should retain its data.
    In their account FAQ they say chars on inactive accounts are subject to possible deletion if inactive for over three months. They do supposedly do this now and then and apparently did it this last Feb. I think it was. Fr00b accounts though since they don't go inactive due to not being pay accounts don't get hit by those wipes I guess. They did do one years back now that did affect all types of accounts though and gave notice in the log-in window and forums I think.

3. I'm not sure I agree on this one...it might be great to have done a great deal of preparation and be largely immune to the tools of others...but it can't be much fun for the person fighting you who finds all his tools useless because of something you did 6 months ago. Some things simply need to land...you can't prepare your way out of them completely Given the chance I would love to rework the perk system so it becomes "decreased" rather than "On or Off"...unperkable/unhittable is god-mode and boring for everyone else but the over-geared person. Seeing your toolset actually function in a diminished way has to be more fun than to see everything you do resisted all the time.
    On that note, anything in the works for NTs to use vs mechs/turrets?

As for the character clearing, if you delete characters that have not been played within the past 4-5 years that are level 25 or lower with less then a certain amount of items on them.

This should be a fairly safe delete, the worst possible case is you delete someones bank account that wasn't very full and they happen to come back to the game. Should be a pretty substantial clear even so.
    TL 7
    RK2 - Maxisolja - 220/24 Trox Soldier | RK2 - Blitztrick - 220/25 Soli Fixer E | RK2 - Krakenz - 220/21 Trox Keep
    RK1 - Shanue - 218/30 Opi MA | RK2 - Redenf5 - 218/22 Trox Enf | RK2 - Jrollin - 214/25 Opi Shade
    TL 5
    RK2 - Memorial - 170/16 Opi Engi | RK2 - Maxisfix - 168/21 Opi Fixer E
    RK1 - Clento - 150/20 Soli Soldier | RK1 - Losodoc - 150/20 Soli Doctor
    RK2 - Loso - 150/20 Opi Advy | RK2 - Tachun - 150/13 Opi MP
    RK1 - Krakenz - 150/15 Trox Advy | RK1 - Loso - 150/13 Trox Advyoo.
    TL5 Fixer Information | GMT -08:00 West Coast Canada | Java AO Chat API | Dnet

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    On that note, anything in the works for NTs to use vs mechs/turrets?
    To be used on players on foot:

Nano Crystal (Magnetic Compulsion)

Target seethes with nanobots and has an irresistable compulsion to find the nearest large hunk of metal to explode on.
    Said hunk of metal is then rendered inoperative.

BS only.
    'Inoperative' could mean destroyed... or maybe in the case of turrets they could just spin round and round helplessly for a few minutes.
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast