Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - July 17th, 2009 - Questions?

Theres probably a thousand questions one could ask.

• Pets: Back before ShadowLands came out and the max level was 200, the pets available to pet classes was fairly spaced out between levels. While some twinking was possible, you could generally get a new pet every so often. With the introduction of ShadowLands level locked pets where introduced. While that was all fine and dandy for higher levels, it still leaves a large hole for pet classes between levels 100ish to 200 where they are pretty much stuck with the same pet, thus, same primary weapon for some 200 levels (which incidentally are some of the longest levels ingame). I know there has been mention of pets getting new crats, but some have viewed that as being aimed at endgame play. Are there any plans to revamp pets for all 3 classes so that there actually might be some new pets to strive for as you level up? Bottom line is that the pets that scaled for level 1-200 alongside with the difficulty of RK mobs certainly does not scale with level 1-200 post SL, and not really in terms of SL/AI mobs either.
    • Pet customization? Feasible with the new engine? Even considered to be something that would be nice to do at some point?
    • The same logic actually applies to many nano lines as well. Take for example a doctor. He will pretty much be using the same heal since level 100ish until level 175 when their next level locked heal becomes available. Again, the heal scaled nicely pre SL, but post SL it really doesn't scale all that well from level 100-175. Are there any plans to look into these gaps to make leveling up more fun? As in having some goals to archieve instead of it boiling down to "get to level 200 asap so we can actually gain access to something new and be usefull"?
    • Looking at some of the nano requirements for certain nanos for certain classes, it is almost as if Funcom forgot how much IP said classes need to spend to be able to cast their nanos. I'll use fixers as an example. We have ALL dark blue nanoskills. As an Atrox fixer i am slightly disadvantaged in the nanoskills department, and i accept that. However, with QL300 city buffs, having ConC 7 trained (Have you seen the AXP level curve after someone nerfed it into oblibion shortly after AI release?) im sitting at 1624 MM skill which is maxed for my level (1153 base skill). I don't have the best endgame equipment, thats fair enough, but my SWS XI requires 1895 MM to cast. So that means i need to get an MP (well thats required for most all of our engame nanos anyways) for Comp Mochies. I need to equip my NCUHI which gives 60 (which btw, was supposed to assist fixers because Funcom messed up requirements when designing nanos for the fixer class, but never scaled up after the release of SL), i need to equip my QL 300 comm relay for another 30, then i need to equip the shiny new research device. And thats just a single dark blue skill and a single nano. We have to raise 5 dark blue nanoskills, and given that they are dark blue, we cant raise them far enough. It almost seems like you guys sometime forgot the fact that the skills are dark blue when setting requirements. Are there any plans to reevaluate the requirements for certain nanos for several professions, or are there at the very least any plans to help fixers with this as they are the ones suffering most heavily?

I was thinking of some more, but seeing as i ended up throwing a wall of text up... i'll just go sulk in a corner now
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

Quote Originally Posted by Eseb View Post
    Also, do you plan on introducing a way for AI30 people to have ATE3 without having to reperk? Almost everyone that grinded AI30 did it so they can train 3 full perk lines, we don't want to waste our hard-earned perks on ATE.
    THIS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Update:

Angry wife..expect significant delays.

Sorry.
    Wife prof is OP......fix plox
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

poor means (and poor cookie too) : vacation but too many questions + angry wife.

so just ONE Q : what about the 3 NW field state maps down for almost a month now ?
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

This may have been asked...

Means: When you played AO, what was your favourite proffession/what was your main?
    Or are you not allowed to awnser this =(.
    <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>
    "Coll1000" Zephyr 215/22 Fixer
    "Tiellae" 180/6 Martial Artist
    "Exachix" Zephyr 132/?? Doctor
    And many many alts.
    of Pantheon.

Fixers

Hi Means,

My question relates to my Fixer. I would like to know whether the addition of the new SMG's is the end of the help that we are getting, or merely the start?

The background to my question

When I started out as a froob, I thought that I would like to be an engy. I fairly quickly discovered that I didn't actually like being an engy. I tried an agent, liked it, played a few more, but decided agents were cool. Then I tried the Fixer lifestyle, was hooked, got a paid account and started my current main.

Levels 1-160 were great, 161 to 190 OK, then 190+ has been a chore ever since. To me it seems that everything is harder for a Fixer. After nearly 3 years, I am 220/70/24ish. I have decent gear (no AI armour, Envy/KMP5, QL240 symbs) but still find soloing to make money or teaming to get new phats difficult.

So I made a Doc. 6 months later, I am 220/60/24ish, she has full beta symbs in, basically endgame gear (some bits still to get) and find teams as soon as she hits LFT. In fact, she has been in teams that discussed getting my Fixer from LFT then decided to wait for a better class to come along. Maybe I need to work on my rep a bit or something?

My Doc solos easier, finds teams easier, gets phats easier. Almost at the stage where she will be my main. Then you announce the Fixer updates and I started actively working on him again.

The changes to date

We have two new guns. Sweet!

But why are they based on a Beast weapon that didn't drop for years? Almost every other class has at least their beast weapon (plus all the others for social) in the bank, but not Fixers. And now we need two of them. OK, Beast is instanced and it only took me 3 runs to get one (thanks RKTim who had first pick and gave it to me to get the envy as he pretty much had everything he needs) but is there any other class who has to put as much work into getting their endgame weapons? (OK, HEOT comes to mind, or at least used to, but I hope you know where I am coming from).

More DD is always going to be welcome. I am not interested in PvP so was rapt that it will be useful in PvM, but I don't know that it is going to fill the gap and make my Fixer as wanted in teams as my Doc.

If you are done with upgrading Fixers, I think my Fixer is going into retirement, only to be improved by the YESDROP items my Doc can get. I don't really want that because I like being a Fixer. But the frustrations of playing a Fixer don't make up for the enjoyment I get from it.

Can you please cheer me up with a sneak peek of what we have to look forward to?

Khalem
    I can only agree with your arguments (apart from the last nano skill one, I will get back to that)

AO basic is a great great universe, scaled very nicely, monsters accordingly so.
    As you point out.

But time is a factor, as you mention Khalem, we now have had a lot of expansions and extra contents, meaning that it isn't at lvl 200 you use the QL 200 nanos, but at lvl 100.
    That is also the problem agents have, as they can only FP/Mimic RK nanoes, meaning no new stuff past 160ish. (twinks at 100).

But it also relates to your last issue:
    The notion that everyone should be able to do everything..

What is the point of choosing Nanomage, with low health, if the Atrox can do all the nano casting?
    I think there should be a diference between the breeds, if you scale everything by Atrox, Nanomages just will have no advantages.

Nanomages again lack the agility of opifex and that way have a hard time with symbiants..

I am all for choices, instead of everyone having all.
    Which is where I think the perk system plays nicely, as you have a limited amount of points, whereas buffs and item additions have enabled almost everyone to get everything on, till the point where only lvl locks stop twinking.

That is why we run out of nanoes/pets and into dry dessert; we simply equip things earlier.

When was the last time you had an armor not higher QL than your lvl?
    The same goes with nanoes and implants.

As I see it Opifex, solitus and especially atrox should expect work hard to be able to use nanoes, and have some they right out can not use, compared to nanomages.

On the other hand shouldn't nanomages expect to have access to all symbiants and armors, because of there lacking strength and agility.

High-elf magic vs. Brute-force Dwarfs
    Nanomage technology vs. Brute-force Atrox

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky

PS new question:

•When is the RP timeline going to get updated?

•Has the political / RP part of AO ended?
    •Can we have a competition with player suggested proposals for RP/timeline events?
    (secret submissions of cause so no one knows)

•Is the Screenshot competition prize a RL "Still Alive" T-shirt?
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

↑↑↓↓ ← → ← → B A
    Do you think more about consequences before you implement changes ingame than you did when you made your "replying to questions" offer?

(Generic somewhat funny question possibly related to AO)?
    Angryguy is to lazy to make a real sig.

Will there be catgirls on my spaces-club? -.^
    (wont take "no" or "maybe" as a answer no mater how long any delay to implement this might be.. Soli and Opi females please, with catears and tails.. A answer is required)

Edit:
    On a more serious note, Means faimly is important and do take this time of and spend it with your wife, your working to much as it is already, let someone else do FWM like Macrosun or Genele or someone, i bet Genele would be more then happy to write a Friday with Genele next weak on the new PF, explaining what amount of work that goes in to learning how to make one, maybe a screenshot or 2, maybe afew hints on upcoming heal and special tweaks etc... Heck give me access to post threads here and il make a note on all that for her xD

Ps. I really need to start hanging out on testlive again xD
    Last edited by Rktim; Jul 18th, 2009 at 00:53:03.
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Update:

Angry wife..expect significant delays.

Sorry.
    From http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...hlight=ao+wife:

Quote Originally Posted by damon7 View Post
    urgent...

spam calm nano "distract with sparkly jewerly" nano so that you can log off soon.

run nano program "summon flowers and chocolate", summon baby sitter (if you have alts) and then run "romantic dinner" or "honey do list" (which ever gets you off the hook faster)

Be warned however, that excessive playing of ao may cause your nano "bed time for bonzo" to fail multiple times without spamming the above nanos to excess.

Quote Originally Posted by Angryguy View Post
    (Generic somewhat funny question possibly related to AO)?
    THIS aims for second next to "i accidentally a whole ams"
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    Sjef often posts very angry shade related threads where all the details just dont quite add up.

Id like some clarification on some rumors that have been passed around like truth lately.

First - AS nerf, everybody is talking about it.. any official statement in that regard?
    Second - Heals nerf, not as widespread as previous rumor but still a common topic ingame
    Third - Rebalancing... what is ur focus here? Are you trying to make all profs viable vs eachother or rock scissors paper type rollercoaster? Or is individual pvp still no concern of urs and your efforts are spent on balancing profession effectiveness in mass pvp?

Hey Means I got a couple for you

1. Have the developer team given thought of returning the VP gift to BS? It was great for PvM people, in the fashion that they could get VP even if we lost the round, hence they stick around and keep the BS alive.
    Also consider this: give 1 token per person killed.

2. How do you envision the AS "nerf" and how do you see agents in that equation?

Vizier
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    Hey Means I got a couple for you

1. Have the developer team given thought of returning the VP gift to BS? It was great for PvM people, in the fashion that they could get VP even if we lost the round, hence they stick around and keep the BS alive.
    Also consider this: give 1 token per person killed.

2. How do you envision the AS "nerf" and how do you see agents in that equation?

Vizier
    I know you think it would be neet and stuff but seeing how you already can buy tokens for VP i don't think that idea is truly needed (dont want to make it TO easy, need to factor in the other ways of getting tokens also even if getting it only from kills cant be considered easy), getting VP for solo/team kills on the BS would be cool tho ^^
    Messiah has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    Q: Where's my free goo? I was promised free goo!
    Q: Is purple a fruit?
    No.

But it is a flavor of koolaid!

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    I know you think it would be neet and stuff but seeing how you already can buy tokens for VP i don't think that idea is truly needed (dont want to make it TO easy, need to factor in the other ways of getting tokens also even if getting it only from kills cant be considered easy), getting VP for solo/team kills on the BS would be cool tho ^^
    There was no real big issue with VP gifts, the PvP crowd left them alone leaving them to the PvM crowd. If people don't like or want to PvP, they don't like or want to PvP.
    Then again a VP reward per kill or team kill would again put the PvM crowd at the losing end, a skillfull PvP'er or PvP team will utterly destroy targets. Leaving PvM in the dust.

Secondly there is big talk from FC regarding shortning down the -grind- in AO, I mean 220/30/70 Alpha symbs, the Pande gear to get tehm on, the LoX gear to get them on, the quests aka Sheol and Arid Rift and so forth, 2500 tokens, the farm for alien/ofab/db endgame armor.

Do you seriously belive that 1 token per kill would crumble that grind? If we are to lessen the grind, we need to lessen the grind not talk about like we already have it easy enough.

Vizier
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

There was no real big issue with VP gifts, the PvP crowd left them alone leaving them to the PvM crowd. If people don't like or want to PvP, they don't like or want to PvP.
    Then again a VP reward per kill or team kill would again put the PvM crowd at the losing end, a skillfull PvP'er or PvP team will utterly destroy targets. Leaving PvM in the dust.

Secondly there is big talk from FC regarding shortning down the -grind- in AO, I mean 220/30/70 Alpha symbs, the Pande gear to get tehm on, the LoX gear to get them on, the quests aka Sheol and Arid Rift and so forth, 2500 tokens, the farm for alien/ofab/db endgame armor.

Do you seriously belive that 1 token per kill would crumble that grind? If we are to lessen the grind, we need to lessen the grind not talk about like we already have it easy enough.

Vizier
    At the moment..
    1k VP = 10 tokens
    100VP = 1Token

On a average you seemed to get about 100 VP/kill on the BS when the birthday-gifts where there, hence you would already there be getting about 1 token for every kill only that you could opt to use the extra VP for armor if you want to..

If they where to implement both your suggestions you would potentially get 2 tokens/kill + 2-5 for a loss and 10 for a win (at TL 7), giving you about 20 Tokens/run as a solo soldier.. If you are in a team tho you would probably get more seeing how the chanses still are quite high that the people you are teaming with are endgame equipped, and it would be WAY faster, leaving you at 500 team kills for 1k Tokens + the extra once (maybe another 200-500 for actual VP reward)

Now this in itself might seem fair enough and not that horribly fast but if you add that you can also get Tokens for Vet points, completing RK missions, token guns, LE missions, dreads, token missions etc you almost make it to easy imo, only the extra VP you get from kills should be enough -.^
    Last edited by Rktim; Jul 18th, 2009 at 01:39:44.
    Messiah has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    Now this in itself might seem fair enough and not that horribly fast but if you add that you can also get Tokens for Vet points, completing RK missions, token guns, LE missions, dreads, token missions etc you almost make it to easy imo, only the extra VP you get from kills should be enough -.^
    Yes "should" is the key word here but it's not, 2500 tokens is part of a grind.

If you want more people to open their minds to PvP as a positive, and potentially fun part of the game, you don't want to punish people and enforce negative aspects of PvP and BS.

It's all about finding and removing unnecessary aspects of the game, and remove or improve them, not hold on to them as hard as you can because that's what AO has been doing for years... hello perk reset 2005 *wave*

Yes "should" is the key word here but it's not, 2500 tokens is part of a grind.

If you want more people to open their minds to PvP as a positive, and potentially fun part of the game, you don't want to punish people and enforce negative aspects of PvP and BS.

It's all about finding and removing unnecessary aspects of the game, and remove or improve them, not hold on to them as hard as you can because that's what AO has been doing for years... hello perk reset 2005 *wave*
    Im not holding on as hard as i can, i just don't want to competently remove the chain, imo, im all for adding the VP on kills fulltime simply because it would help with tokens, just think that 1 token in total/kill would be better then 2 tokens/kill, even 1 token is still a big improvement so why are you accusing me of wanting to keep things as they are? =X
    Messiah has spoken.

QUESTION: Are there any plans for a sound revamp for AO after the new engine is out, alot of the sounds in this game are lacking to say the least.
    ->X<- Proud Advisor of Genesis->X<-
    220/23 Soldier Xscape ->X<- Xscapee Agent 220/22
    Xxdevisxx Engineer 216/15

AO satisfaction level :[████] Content :[]: Discontent

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast