Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - Oct. 30th, 2009: Ramble v2.0

Funcom employee Friday with(out) Means - Oct. 30th, 2009: Ramble v2.0

FIRST POST!!!

... wait, it doesn't quite work like that, does it? ><

Aaanyhoo - Hey guys! Means has been a bit absent this week due to what appears to be signs of The Aporkalypse (good old swine flu) running through his household, so once again I've been asked to step up to the plate and chat with you all about the latest goings-on up here in Oslo.

On a personal front it's been a busy past few weeks with attempting to get our Halloween content out and about, but everything seems to have gone really well and we all hope you're enjoying the new holiday loot. Last weekend was an especially exciting time as we got to have our annual Halloween party in-game AND launch the new nightclub, The Grind. I wanna thank everyone from all three dims who showed up, hung out, and partied with us - It was a real blast for us up at the office to get the chance to hang out with you guys and I'm hoping we'll have the opportunity to do so again in the near future. I wanna give some special thanks to our ARK-CR department, the Customer Service team down in North Carolina, and the wonderful folks from both Gridstream Productions and Radio SdF - A party like this can only happen when you've got a good group of people working together to pull it off, and everyone involved did a great job. Hopefully you guys had fun too - With any luck it won't be the last time we get the chance to do something like this. =)

Halloween isn't quite over yet, though, and there are a few surprises left in store for everyone out there. Looks like Uncle Pumpkinhead and his mysterious master The Harvester are still up to their old tricks, and maybe even with some new minions to terrorize Rubi-Ka... keep your eyes peeled for stories, news articles, and special in-game appearances for your chance to bring a little payback to the Halloween horrors - You might even find a nice little reward for helping out. So join the hunt and head out for the fight - The Harvester is waiting, after all...

In other news, we've been talking about this behind-the-scenes for quite a while, but it's now time to take the lid off on the all-new, all-improved Professionals Program. I won't go into too much detail in this post, as you can find all the relevant information in this thread, but I encourage everyone to take a look, read what's going on, and get involved. Notices of the new Professionals Program will also be hitting the launcher and hopefully even in-game, so make sure to tell your friends to keep their eyes peeled and check out the posts - This is something we wanna get everyone in on, so spread the word, pitch in, nominate and get ready to vote. Should be exciting stuff. =)

I'm not gonna go for a huge, long wall-of-text this week (I know, I know, I'm breaking tradition here), but that's because we've got more important things to focus on. We've been pouring over the feedback from the initial perk change documents and making adjustments all over the place - As time goes on, we're starting to get more and more willing to make larger, sweeping changes to the perks, and we hope you guys will be happy with the places we're going. There are a few things to note, though, which we hope might make some of the changes a little less confusing to everyone:

• Many perk lines currently have 10 levels available to them, but lack a perk special at level 9/10. For several of these lines, we will be adding in an additional perk special if the line is trained to level 10.
    • Adventurers in particular will see large adjustments to their morph nano lines, attempting to seperate the lines and give them unique functionality which makes them more appealing within certain situations. This will also be reflected through their perk lines as our nano-change documentation becomes more finalized.
    • Parry and Riposte are returning as part of the overall balance change situation. Final designs on how these special actions will work have yet to be nailed down, but there is a large chance that these actions will have different benefits for different professions, similar to Dimach.
    • Grenades are an interesting topic, in that they are obviously a weapon line which has not received much support over the years. It is our hope to revitalize the weapon line - While weapons of this type will be available to all professions if they so choose, the revamp of the weaponry will feature its largest focus on Engineers. Much like other neglected areas we are looking to alter, this will be a very radical, "ground up" revamp.
    • Nanotechnicians will see radical changes to their nuke lines, particularly focused on nanos introduced with/post-Shadowlands. Currently their perk lines have seen very few changes in the available documentation - This will change based on the final decisions made for the profession's nano-based toolset.
    • Many debuff timers in the existing perk documentation have been reduced. This level of reduction is meant to reflect their functionality in Player vs. Player combat. In many cases, the perks will have dual functionality, wherein the time exist is different depending on whether it is used on an NPC or another player. It should be noted, however, that for debuffs with very long time exists, these will most likely be reduced in duration across the board.
    • For Bureaucrats, we will be merging the "Directorship" and "Insurance Agent" perk lines into a single, ten-point line. Replacing this will be an additional eight-point line named "Autocracy", designed to focus on nano-based damage. There is a chance that we will look at other professions and offer new perk line options to them, either as new additions or due to the removal/replacement/merger of other perk lines.
    • Martial Artists will see the largest amount of changes taking place within their nano lines and Martial Arts attacks. They will also, most likely, be one of the professions to see the largest benefit from the incoming Parry & Riposte additions.
    • Many changes are focused around the idea that total investment in a perk line will aid in specializing a character in one direction or another - A focus on pets vs. weaponry, or offense vs. defense.
    • Ranges for melee perk specials will be increased across the board - With perhaps only a few very special exceptions, ALL perks should have a minimum range of 5 meters as their distance.
    • Shades will see a large portion of changes taking place in the rebalancing of their itemization. In line with our desire to see Shades as a faster-paced class, Hecatomb has had its duration returned to 1 second, keeping in line with the rest of the perk specials
    • For perk lines where the thematic elements have been altered, there will be eventual renaming of the perk lines and actions.
    • Perk specials that have different effects while in Shadowlands (as opposed to on Rubi-Ka) will have this difference removed. The perk action will then be altered to one static value that works the same regardless of location.

I think it's really important to let you guys know that nothing here is finalized or written in stone. We're trying to keep ourselves from being locked into only making minor changes, or just slightly tweaking what's already there - Where there are major changes that need to be made, we're trying to keep ourselves open to the idea of actually making said changes. In addition, we will devotedly change and alter these perklines based on feedback - This includes alterations after the perk changes have hit live. None of us here want to lock ourselves into a situation where we feel that we can't/shouldn't be open to the idea of making additional changes down the road (which is, to an extent, what placed us in this situation in the first place). So nothing here is final, everything is malleable, and nothing - nothing - is considered untouchable. We wanna do this and do it right - Hopefully, with the help of everyone else out there, we can make some great improvements to our gameplay and systems while maintaining the exact same feeling for all the Professions.

So what's next? Well, today you're getting your hands on the altered Profession-specific perk documents *and* your first look at the Group Perk documents. The AI Breed Perk documentation will be coming along Soon™ and there's plenty more information to come after that - We've still got Research, Nanos, Weaponry, Items... no rest for the weary or the wicked.

Anyhoo, I figure the documentation will keep you guys busy for the next little bit, so I won't keep you here any longer. Genele and I will be popping into the thread through-out the weekend to check in and maybe even answer a few questions/concerns here or there (and I get the feeling Means will show up sooner or later too ), so you guys have fun pouring over the docs and we'll chat with you later. Peace! =D

NEW INFO! Forgot to mention: We've got the first iteration of our brand new mail system heading out to Testlive today, and we would love to see you guys break it in two. No, seriously - Head out, use it, abuse it, do what you guys do best; the more we can get the new system tested before shipping it off to live, the better. Enjoy!
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

wheee!

a Friday with Swine woulda been rather entertaining tho!
    Last edited by shadowgod; Oct 30th, 2009 at 17:27:44. Reason: !?

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

1:St! .. or not, beaten by 1 sec
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

somewhere
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

you imitated a necro in another thread and closed it yourself? ^^

edit:
    # Nanotechnicians will see radical changes to their nuke lines, particularly focused on nanos introduced with/post-Shadowlands. Currently their perk lines have seen very few changes in the available documentation - This will change based on the final decisions made for the profession's nano-based toolset.
    I'm afraid
    Last edited by Nanostratege; Oct 30th, 2009 at 17:29:56.
    Shhhsss. Careful. Behind all the colours, there are ears, ears who listen.

5th!
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Somethingth!

Kintaii thanks for the information

First question I have is, when does the Halloween content end...this information will help greatly in planning my pub hours over the weekend

The perk documentation makes interesting reading, but need to read it more and think about it before I can comment more.

One thing that does come to mind which is unchanged from current perks, is why does Pistol Mastery (and Shotgun) have +60 damage but Edged Mastery and others don't? You've already looked to balance the difference in the amount of weapon skill added, so could that be balanced too?

I've noticed various items where there seems to be more add damage or crit for pistol than melee, like the +1% crit in Dreadloch Aiming Apparatus, but none on Stab Guidance, is there a good reason for that?

Anyway's, I've got some Pumpkins to carve
    Last edited by -Plexor-; Oct 30th, 2009 at 17:59:53.
    Plexor 220/23 Adventurer
    The Red Brotherhood

Account Created
    2001-06-29 19:30:30

6th its like being the 5th to loose!

Dammit: well I guess I can be 7th then
    Last edited by Slacklin; Oct 30th, 2009 at 17:24:18. Reason: First Page FTW
    Well they messed with the wrong skull this time, Ha ha!!!
    ~ Murray the talking skull

Slacklin ~ 220 Fixer

"I'm not gonna go for a huge, long wall-of-text this week"

Riiight
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Nerf nerfed easy shot and quick/double shot def checks But changes are always exciting, right?

(But waiting to see how it turns out).

I do hope you make interesting perk actions for currently worthless perk lines like Motorist. I want to perk it, seriously, but vehicle air/ground/water only don't cut it
    Last edited by eroz_c; Oct 30th, 2009 at 17:32:04.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Personally I love the concept of profession perk lines shaping the focus of a character rather than exclusively providing more general boosts. I can't wait to see how it is implemented.

How long are you going to blatently ignore the agent profession?

Yes we did recive some addtional fp nanos a while ago, aimed to be a PvP asset if I am correct, but they did turn out to be a major joke.

Yes agent may or may not get 2 types of AS..

What about the situation for current agent static defence, with an impending heal nerf incomming, the majority of agents will loose their main defence, a defence that's already been thrown in the gutter more than 4 times.

What do you intend to do with agents, I'm sick of reading about NTs and their new improvments (sorry but you guys must have impregnated a dev) I see you obviously pulled your head out of the black hole regarding MAs, what about -agents- ?

Viz
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    I'm not gonna go for a huge, long wall-of-text this week
    lol

Adventurers in particular will see large adjustments to their morph nano lines
    mwahaha, my 30 bags if Kin of Tarasque nanos will skyrocket in value!

We can haz Roleplaying Professionals?

TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

[*]Grenades are an interesting topic, in that they are obviously a weapon line which has not received much support over the years. It is our hope to revitalize the weapon line - While weapons of this type will be available to all professions if they so choose, the revamp of the weaponry will feature its largest focus on Engineers. Much like other neglected areas we are looking to alter, this will be a very radical, "ground up" revamp.
    If my engineer is ever forced (or heavily incentivized, it's the same) to go grenade, I quit.
    Astarra "Esthaer" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Nanomage Engineer 220/30/70
    Maryam "Mirienne" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Solitus Engineer 220/15/60
    Member of Infinity

Mavritanic:"start this topic is your selfowning"

So uh no keeper love...

Can we have forum troll professionals?

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast