Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - Oct. 30th, 2009: Ramble v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    **snip** Because what you showed us today using the AoC Engine **snip**
    Link?
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

SO.. when are you guys going to come out and state the truth that the "Still Alive" video wasnt rendered in a prototype of the new Game Engine?

Because what you showed us today using the AoC Engine is aweful compaired with what you had quite sometime, and 2 engines, ago.

You know.. Star Flares on the water. Actual Water Poly Deformation. Grass. An actual SKY. Shadows that looked correct. Normal Maps that Looked correct and not overblown like the current versions. Specular highlighting. A working Lighting system that wasnt on "fullbright".

Just wondering...
    that video was released before they changed to the AoC engine... just put the bits and pieces on a timeline and you'll see.
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingrage View Post
    My first thoughts on the SL professional perklines is "Er, dunno if this is what we asked for".

I like the idea of Channel Rage having a perk action at endgame, if the taunt works then it'll even be useful and MP can enjoy not being hit like the other pet profs, maybe. Although our healpet still hasn't got a hope in hell of healing Rihwen's 55k anytime in any real sort of combat before it drops dead.

Trance...I'm not so sure about. The DoT included in perk 5 stinks, flat out, and having that as a req to run Migraine is iffy. Only buffing PM/MC/nanodamage means this is mostly for the Nukes, but as Klod said, where are we gonna get the perks to use it? CR and SS are pretty much 'must haves' and Starfall, now with faster execution, is usually our main source of perk damage, which leaves the 10 last perks for stuff like Theoretical Research 3, Genius 2, and whatever else floats the MPs boat.

On top of that, there'd been requests for some sort of perk-based defense and there's zip of that here, not even in the buffs. Hope our nano revamp looks mighty damn good.

EDIT: More thoughts, the 1hb perks look good, I like getting both Ranger and Blunt mastery full access to MPs, and the split perk action for Bring the Pain looks really sweet and useful, actually. AOE Detaunt with self damage buff that's nice and big...I can't argue with it.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes from here, but I think Trance needs a fair lot of polishing.
    Indeed, 30 perks are basically set with every MP, Channel Rage, Soothing Spirits and Starfall. Most do Theoretical Research 3 for the root, and then 7 perks into something else, like a weapon line, nano doc, etc. Nowadays it's Pistol Mastery 10 often enough I guess, but for PvP, that ship has sailed again with the readjusted def checks.

So either Trance has to be improved big time to make it worthwhile to replace one of the "proven" lines, and/or it has to be changed to 7 perks, to be able to be trained together with TR3. Even then, it has to be able to compete with PM or NanoDoc, and so far, I don't see why it should win.

Edit: another unrelated thing: There's a typo (I hope ) in Lightstalker (Advy line), it should check Pistol skill, not 1he.
    Last edited by Camar; Oct 31st, 2009 at 10:47:39.

Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    that video was released before they changed to the AoC engine... just put the bits and pieces on a timeline and you'll see.
    Yep I feel like inclining towards to option that it wasn't in-game footage, but more of render job...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by tazalanche View Post
    Link?
    I think he's drunk. Nothing released for awhile, far as I can tell.

But don't quote me on that.
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

Problems with "patch not found" error while trying to get on Testlive?
    See Technogen's "Halp, I can't patch to test!" Fix

86th
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Solstiare View Post
    and player voted week long forum bans (bye klod)
    Wha?

Quote Originally Posted by Klod9002 View Post
    Wha?
    No kidding. I instantly thought "What happened now..." and went researching through all the various moderator stuff trying to figure out what trouble you had gotten yourself into, and was quite mystified when I didn't find anything...
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    No kidding. I instantly thought "What happened now..." and went researching through all the various moderator stuff trying to figure out what trouble you had gotten yourself into, and was quite mystified when I didn't find anything...
    Proposition != Statement of Truth
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

Problems with "patch not found" error while trying to get on Testlive?
    See Technogen's "Halp, I can't patch to test!" Fix

Quote Originally Posted by BugsCoT View Post
    Proposition != Statement of Truth
    It was a statement lacking enough context I was sure something had been deleted when I missed it.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

<3 the changes planned for Lifeblood and draw blood!

Quote Originally Posted by tazalanche View Post
    Link?
    today being relative. sorry, yes I was quite drunk.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=561710 It was in reference to these. The Vid was done in AOs first attempt upgraded engine. Then we migrated to the Ogre, then we ditched ogre and migrated to the AoC one.

The point of the drunk thread was to dredge up some angry and well to basicly say.. ok.. you've had a while now. Why does this:http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=561710 not even compare in the same ball park to:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKTbPz_1Ztc which came out a long time before.

Which leads to the final conclusion that: It was never "ingame" footage.. except. The counter to that is Means did post a screeny of him in OA at the grid on RK1 that looked just like the video. This demands.. why are we farther back today than we were over a year ago? And will this vaporware ever come?

I can bitch and whine about vaporware if I feel like it.

Everything has been focused on PVP Changes which in AO is the smallest portion of the game. The most effort into the smallest part. Doesnt make much sense. If this was an OPEN PVP game where PVP was an integral part of the game I could understand that. As it is only the smallest minority of the playerbase, all be it the loudest, PVP with any level of seriousness. In addition with how it stands the "cost of entry" to pvp is too high for newer players, even with the changes they are showing the entry costs for PVP will still be as high. In other games I can pvp within less than a month of game time and low cost of entry. I may not WIN everytime but I can be either supportive in a meaningful way to my betters or at the very least midly competitive in the "lightweight" pvp fights.

I suggested MERGING and Unifying the PVP/PVM Game Mechanics. FC is now dividing them even further apart into what will probably be a fully distinct system. Again this makes the PVP entry even HARDER for newer players. I just dont get this development focus. Primary should be: Newbie Experience Changes, Daily Quest Series, Game Engine, Game Art Upgrades, THEN Ballancing PVP by making it easier for Cost of Entry so that more people will. Nothing wrong with PVP, in fact its great, but we need to make it attractive to new players. As it stands the extremes of PVP setups at low level ensure that a new player wont be competitive. The fact that STILL 90% of the Profs are usless in most PVM endgame encounters. Same goes for PVP where a significant portion of Profs are underpowered.. yet FC is adjusting Advies? Again? and NTs? They seem pretty well set.. nerf them maybe but they really dont need MORE while you give nothing to: Agents, Keepers, Crats, MPs

Going even further AoC has gotten almost technological EVERY Wish that was first posted here and asked for here for AO. We ask for it.. AoC gets it. How does that make any sense?
    Last edited by meatybtz; Oct 31st, 2009 at 21:58:46.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

today being relative. sorry, yes I was quite drunk.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=561710 It was in reference to these. The Vid was done in AOs first attempt upgraded engine. Then we migrated to the Ogre, then we ditched ogre and migrated to the AoC one.

The point of the drunk thread was to dredge up some angry and well to basicly say.. ok.. you've had a while now. Why does this:http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=561710 not even compare in the same ball park to:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKTbPz_1Ztc which came out a long time before.

Which leads to the final conclusion that: It was never "ingame" footage.. except. The counter to that is Means did post a screeny of him in OA at the grid on RK1 that looked just like the video. This demands.. why are we farther back today than we were over a year ago? And will this vaporware ever come?

I can bitch and whine about vaporware if I feel like it.
    i dont see how you can compare either of them. one is a video, and the other is pictures. video is usually going to look better for something like this.

not to mention, the sky in the video is fake, and its been said so by FC. its pretty much just a painting, like they did with the sky in Jobe.

what they had in Ogre was practically "done" in a general sense. however, they were hitting big problems when it came to effects, such as nanos.

towhich of course, they realize what they shoulda known years earlier, it would of been easier to just upgrade to the newer dreamworld engine (what aoc uses, compared to the old dreamworld engine ao uses). course, their original excuse with that was too much was changed for the newer engine they couldnt just back-port it to ao. well, sometimes what you see on the surface, isnt always true when you delve deeper.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

... Normal Maps that Looked correct and not overblown like the current versions. ...
    THANK GOD, someone else sees it... So I was not just having some optical illusion or brain tumor after all.

Nice informative wall of text, read trough the whole thing for once

...just one thing. Are you happy with the state of soli keepers today? everything fine?
    Andvord, 220 Adv (retired)
    Knekt, 220/30/70 Keep (retired)
    Haavarst, 220/23 Crat
    Delifix 217 Fix
    Delivio 215 Shade
    Dilek 174 Doc
    Delisol 165 Sol
    Clown 126 Trader TL4 twink project
    Hannibal 22 Enf

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    i dont see how you can compare either of them. one is a video, and the other is pictures. video is usually going to look better for something like this.

not to mention, the sky in the video is fake, and its been said so by FC. its pretty much just a painting, like they did with the sky in Jobe.

what they had in Ogre was practically "done" in a general sense. however, they were hitting big problems when it came to effects, such as nanos.

towhich of course, they realize what they shoulda known years earlier, it would of been easier to just upgrade to the newer dreamworld engine (what aoc uses, compared to the old dreamworld engine ao uses). course, their original excuse with that was too much was changed for the newer engine they couldnt just back-port it to ao. well, sometimes what you see on the surface, isnt always true when you delve deeper.
    3 years man.. 3years... that is all. well not quite.. If the sky was fake.. how much else was?
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

3 years man.. 3years... that is all. well not quite.. If the sky was fake.. how much else was?
    well, since you can clearly do this faster, maybe you should volunteer your time.

- Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Teh sky is a lie.
    Dear developers,

Rock is OP, paper is fine.

-Yours faithfully, Scissors

Quote Originally Posted by Coffay View Post
    Teh sky is a lie.
    it did look fly.

- Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast