Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - November 13th, 2009 - Friday teh 13th 110100101!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post

Because they shut AO down in 2008 ...
    You mean just like yesterday? Aren't the AoC servers shut down once in a while too? AoC is still mentioned!

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Does this mean that I am having that psychotic episode they warned me about every day now?

Not good...not good...
    <nelsonmode>"Ha Ha!"</nelsonmode>
    Last edited by SoldiTwo; Nov 18th, 2009 at 20:32:07.

Nice pics but didn't you say, after the last batch of pics, that you wouldn't post any more unless they had the proper atmospherics in place?

People are gonna get purple in the face every day yelling for new pics/vids - just ignore that and put stuff out when there are some nice, eye-popping improvements to see. We know textures really aren't getting touched but what's been posted so far seems to me to have maybe 1/2 the announced improvements in action. Nice water. shadows, and bump-mapping by itself is hardly an improvement. New grass/trees, proper atmosperics/sky, anti-aliasing, full lighting would make the current scenes an order or two of magnitude better.

love the pics really coming along, water looking great can understand why you put it in every pics and to all the people who say just wait for everything to be ready, screw that. The idea of FWM is to create a tie between the people behind the game and the people in the game, updates small and large are always good, i for one like being kept in the loop, great job keep it up!

Are we going to be able to swim under water??? If so, I might just have to max out my swimming skill and look for some shells.
    Last edited by Saregon1; Nov 19th, 2009 at 16:41:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Saregon1 View Post
    Are we going to be able to swim under water??? I so, I might just have to max out my swimming skill and look for some shells.
    And maybe add swim proficiency to swimsuits!

↑↑↓↓ ← → ← → B A

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii edit View Post
    Rome 1.jpg (845.4 KB, 251 views)
    Rome 2.jpg (779.2 KB, 237 views)
    Rome 3.jpg (606.3 KB, 233 views)
    Tir 1.jpg (649.1 KB, 254 views)
    Tir 2.jpg (532.9 KB, 234 views)
    Tir 3.jpg (574.5 KB, 236 views)
    Damn, where's anything Neutral? This is official discrimination against us... Only thing worse you could've done is to sneak in a screenie of the new 201+ side forms. Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by thecheeseman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidana View Post
    This is so out of context regarding my quote that I don't even know how to respond...
    because i win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidana View Post
    Damn, where's anything Neutral? This is official discrimination against us... Only thing worse you could've done is to sneak in a screenie of the new 201+ side forms. Damn!

I think you can find them in Pande?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Exactly what, other than shadows, water, grass, and generally better effects were you expecting?
    Well, I think it all looks like a huge improvement... Except for the trees in Rome. They still look like celery sticks.
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Amosco View Post
    Well, I think it all looks like a huge improvement... Except for the trees in Rome. They still look like celery sticks.
    Well yes, it's a huge improvement. But I knew what I was expecting, these others weren't and appear disappointed
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    ... However, as it stands, Mongo Rage has the tendency to be an "I splat stuff" button - Once Mongo Rage is over, most things standing around the Atrox are pretty much dead.
    So MR is like becoming a suicide bomber?

In that case, nerf suicide bombers!
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

Meatybtz hits Means and team for 100000 points of nitpicks.

Launching Nit pick attack.

First lets get the positives out of the way. You did GREAT on the shadow fixes! GJ guys.

A couple of things are tripping you up and I want to say them outloud because I think others are thinking it.

Bumps: Your just going to have to redo some of the textures.
    FEX: TIR COBBLE STONES.. the OE texture looks like fitted stones while the bump mapped version looks like... erm.. crap.

Whats worse is direct application of the older textures as Bump Maps or Normal Maps (even I have done this when recycling the textures to use in some Lightwave work of mine that was AO themed) results in very sub-par looks. I had to often rework entire textures to get something useable. I know this is an early version but I think the point should be made now.

FQGR: Full Quality Ground Radius and LODing
    Ok your still hobbled with the frame rate improvement HACK that was introduced.. well back soon after I first started playing. Your bumps look silly using this form of LOD control and when its nerfed to the 20 or so meters that is currently (and is in your screen shots) it just ruins the experience. FQGR should be able to be set by players (to allow those of us with newer machines to appreciate the qualities of the new engine) out as far as we like.. rather something like 100-120M of no LODing should be an allowable option for textures.. let alone allowing the same for Geometry as that was another of the Frame Rate Improvement Hacks that made things decrease at a much sharper rate. I can see all these "legacy fixes" haunting the screenshots and TBH they really ruin the look and feel.

Will some people need such heavy performance help... sure. Allow the rest of us to run it at 100-200M with no LODing of Textures of AOs simplistic Geometry while running at max AA etc. Also really dont forget to take more than a raw conversion for the bump-mapping.

You are on the right track but just dump the old hacks and go for a fresh all out approach for the new engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by tharss View Post
    so mr is like becoming a suicide bomber?

In that case, nerf suicide bombers!
    lol!
    Ofab - Doctor [e]
    Clipfury - Soldier
    R22866281602 - Bureaucrat
    Icey2 - Soldier [deleted]
    First to receive an infraction worth 1337 points.

Bump this thread for Black Atroxes!

looks amazing! can't wait. I wana know when though.
    220/30/70 OMNI SOLDIER - Tyler "Tyfow" Fowler SMG/PDKP -First!
    220/22/64 OMNI BUREAUCRAT - Iliek "Vaporeon" Mudkipz

I hope you guys spend as much effort working on the trees as you did water
    May the Bugle be with you.

MrBugle
    MrBoogle

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    Launching Nit pick attack.

First lets get the positives out of the way. You did GREAT on the shadow fixes! GJ guys.

A couple of things are tripping you up and I want to say them outloud because I think others are thinking it.

Bumps: Your just going to have to redo some of the textures.
    FEX: TIR COBBLE STONES.. the OE texture looks like fitted stones while the bump mapped version looks like... erm.. crap.

Whats worse is direct application of the older textures as Bump Maps or Normal Maps (even I have done this when recycling the textures to use in some Lightwave work of mine that was AO themed) results in very sub-par looks. I had to often rework entire textures to get something useable. I know this is an early version but I think the point should be made now.

FQGR: Full Quality Ground Radius and LODing
    Ok your still hobbled with the frame rate improvement HACK that was introduced.. well back soon after I first started playing. Your bumps look silly using this form of LOD control and when its nerfed to the 20 or so meters that is currently (and is in your screen shots) it just ruins the experience. FQGR should be able to be set by players (to allow those of us with newer machines to appreciate the qualities of the new engine) out as far as we like.. rather something like 100-120M of no LODing should be an allowable option for textures.. let alone allowing the same for Geometry as that was another of the Frame Rate Improvement Hacks that made things decrease at a much sharper rate. I can see all these "legacy fixes" haunting the screenshots and TBH they really ruin the look and feel.

Will some people need such heavy performance help... sure. Allow the rest of us to run it at 100-200M with no LODing of Textures of AOs simplistic Geometry while running at max AA etc. Also really dont forget to take more than a raw conversion for the bump-mapping.

You are on the right track but just dump the old hacks and go for a fresh all out approach for the new engine.
    I know you think you're trying to be helpful, but you do realize they aren't going to take your advice, right? I mean, ever. No offense or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Wurble View Post
    I know you think you're trying to be helpful, but you do realize they aren't going to take your advice, right? I mean, ever. No offense or anything.
    LOL

Sky is Blue, Water is Wet. More news at 11, you heard it first here folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

I actually like the old screenshoots from 2008 better.. but I guess it will look better with time..

Also, I am most curious on how Shadowland will look like, specially in the start areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Endy87 View Post
    I actually like the old screenshoots from 2008 better.. but I guess it will look better with time..

Also, I am most curious on how Shadowland will look like, specially in the start areas.
    Now that you mention it, I don't remember any of the screens or vids from the Ogre engine showing SL either.

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    LOL

Sky is Blue, Water is Wet. More news at 11, you heard it first here folks.
    makes me wonder, about all the people who, during the construction/painting of the Sistine Chapel went on about "you're doing it wrong, its going to look horrible".

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Now that you mention it, I don't remember any of the screens or vids from the Ogre engine showing SL either.
    I remember having seen some, but haven't bookmarked the post...

I'm pretty sure it was in a post from either Sil, Means or some other FC employee here on the forums.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast