Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 114243444546474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1329

Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

Exactly, Doc. I've read over this whole thread, seen a lot more positive than negative comments, then they go ingame and BAM! "Whut? Dey changin' mah grafix! Nuh-uh! No you di'n't!" Especially when the new icons are soooo much nicer looking than the old ones. Appropriate? I'm not one to know, I don't have an IGoC, nor will I be likely to get one, but the new icon looks much better than the overused crystal sphere it used to be.

Ooh, just thought of something. Maybe a custom icon for the Engineer pistol, you know, the solar-powered tradeskill one? All that work goes into building it and it still looks like a standard River handgun :P
    Wallybertius, 200 Omni Engineer Solitus, male
    de-facto leader of Alt.org.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Long story short: Thingie with the stuff. *nods sagely*

Yeah I can understand your confusion doc, majority of the population don't check or post on the forums. I haven't heard one good thing about the gocs, or the totw pads from ingame. Latest few patches caught me pretty off guard, I had no idea you were intending to redo normal equipment icons and it serves me right for not checking this thread so much. Though, cuz of the many recent commonly used items getting redone, rather than just a few unused rings and random items, I'm gunna try and share more of this threads info to my friends and orgmates and see if I can relay more of their (and my) opinions and concerns about the new icons.

But really, thank you for your work. It means a lot to us that you are putting so much effort into making ao better

I don't really think the shade spirits need any changes other than maybe a tweak in color for the different types. I like the old icons and think they do their job quite well! The shapes of the old icons look pretty much *exactly* like the spirit mobs, which I think is how they should be.

Something like the DB bracer confused me a bit too, the color was.. well, yeah sandy.. makes sense I guess, but the bracer doesn't match the color of the rest of the armor set, I think the overall shape looks good though.

Regarding the shade spirits, I like the idea and the new designs, but I agree the colours are a bit off.

I would recommend muted dim colours, dark red, dark green and the like.

Personally I would group them as follows, with each group having one colour
    Clear Thought, Insight, Knowledge, True Seeing and Understanding which would be 7 spirits all in different slots

The Defence spirits have 5 spirits all in different slots.

The Essence Spirits have 8 spirits all in different slots.

The Offence and Strength spirits grouped (there's only 2 different Offence spirits so they would group well with Strength and there's no overlap) for a total of 11 different slots.

And finally the Weakness spirits in 6 different slots.

That would create 5 different groups, meaning 5 different colours:
    A Dark Red could suit for the Strength/Offence.
    A Dark Sickly Yellow for the Weakness.
    A Dark Blue akin to a lot of the current spirits for the Defence.
    A Dark Purple perhaps for the Essence Spirits.
    and finally a Dark Green for the last group.

It would then mean that no two different types of spirit in the same slot would share the same colour, making identification a lot faster.

Disclaimer: I'm not including the Alpha or Beta Spirits in this feedback as I'm not as familiar with the way they work.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Hi,

Earlier today I helped a guy with a run through SoM, I was happy to see the 'subtle' change I made to the nightmare icons was in-game and boy does it make it easier to collect the 5 different nightmares.. Also, I was making some filigree rings and also noticed that my new personal furnace and the liquid metals are also in game. boy, not everyone thought these icons were the best, and some said the liquid metal leaking out was not right, but that was my 'artist's interpretation' and thought the leak helped ID the icon as liquid metal. All in all, I think it helps to see different color liquids for silver, gold and platinum. where before it was all the same icon.

It's the little changes like this I find make the most difference, and when I redid the viralbots, that was the main goal, they used to all use the same icon, at least now when you find those arithmetic, or strong viralbots, there is a visual difference. Sure they are different from the old ones, but we'll all get used to them and in the long run, it'll be easier for everyone, veterans and noobies alike.

More to come and if you see stuff that can use updates, please let me know.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Docaholic; Jul 1st, 2011 at 01:48:05.
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

Doc, I got to thank you for all the work you've done, one of the things I've always wanted to see was a more diverse set of icon because I felt too many were overused on so many items.

I look forward to more of your work.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

I think a lot of items that have same/similar icons such as stims, bracers, and a few tradeskill type items .. whatever you wanna call that icon for purifying rod, I think a lot of those icons do *not* need to be completely redesigned but some variations in color and maybe a symbol or two to help identify them could make all the difference. Just like what you did with the nightmares, which look great by the way As you said, the little things

A LOT can be done with just a slight color change, a glowy effect, a tidbit more detail added, minor things that can make a huge difference without really upsetting people. Remember that the equipment tab is a dark blue so pale orange will look funny on it, especially next to dark ai armor/ofab. There's a real dark and gritty theme to AOs art so pale or colorful icons are gunna really clash and prolly not be appreciated.

And remember to keep in theme of other items! Just like how you made the beautiful dalja and gilthar rings that match the garden keys <3 looks so good! I already mentioned the db bracer not matching the armor set, but for example, I noticed the "ancient medical bracer" is extremely pink!(the other bracers are also extremely colorful!) other medical items such as the medical research hud are yellow. first aid stims, first aid clusters are also yellow, threatment clusters, hq health lab, and healing nano crystals are blue though so that might just be me overthinking.. would like for the typical, yellow = medical, blue = nano, red = combat, green = defense, theme that LE huds and nano crystals have to fit with more items to avoid confusion.

I think the cannisters of novictum for tier armor could use a little help, I like the cannister icon a lot but there could be some way to tell the different types apart. Changing the color in the blue circle for alien augs to tell the different types apart would be nice too

Can't wait to see what you are working on
    Last edited by Xirayne; Jul 1st, 2011 at 02:55:25.

Doc I think the work you've done, for the most part, has been great. But please do not confuse anything and think that feedback on the forums is representative of the AO community.. it is only representative of the folks that are reading that particular thread.

I can tell you that personally I've not liked a few of the changes but not enough to have posted in the thread until the things that I had to look at in my wear window changed.. and that's where I have exception. The title of the thread itself is in reference to "inventory graphics" and I really couldn't care less about those.. so I never bothered to stay up to date on this thread that is way too many pages long for me to keep up with, to be honest. Again, however, the title of the thread refers to inventory graphics and I'm 100% for making some of those shared icons different.. makes it easier to visually sort things out.

As for the non-inventory graphics (i.e. the things that I wear).. I have found some of those changes to be unnecessary and aesthetically unappealing to my eye. Obviously it isn't game breaking but the last round of changes.. when things in my Wear window started looking different.. is what prompted me to come here and even post a comment about the proposed shade spirits.

Just thought I'd chime in on what you somehow perceive as an inconsistency with feedback. Like everythng else.. you have your small but vocal minority on the forums.. talking to folks in-world often times yields different results.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jul 1st, 2011 at 08:09:00.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Inventory.
    Verb: Make a complete list of.
    Noun: A complete list of items such as property, goods in stock, or the contents of a building.

Inventory is everything you have...

Yesterday I was doing some equipment swapping. Required the use of multiple buff items. After initial confusion over the new look of certain items, I can say that it was now much easier to do these things, as the dustbrigade bracers did not look the same as the various Power of the Mind/Muscle, Albtraum bracers, and whatever else I have lying around that has that exact same icon, as well as the various rings that I used. Much nicer. Doesn't matter whether I like the aesthetics, since the old ones did not have any aesthetics... so, while you may not like the look, then anything is better than nothing as it allows for using your eyes to quickly differentiate items.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Jul 1st, 2011 at 09:24:02.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Masta I agree on your definition of the word inventory however in AO it also has its own meaning. I was attempting to point out that some of us would read the heading and believe it to refer to what is known in AO as our "Inventory" the thing you pull up when you hit the letter "I" on your keyboard and is labeled as "Inventory". (BTW it has been a good year or so since I read the original post... so that's where it was in my mind from memory)

Doc seemed a bit confused and perhaps frustrated by what he perceives as conflicting feedback and my post was an attempt to explain it from another point of view. I'm sure I am not alone in my thinking and it is probably something he didn't consider.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jul 1st, 2011 at 09:36:33.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

I think the aesthetics actually do matter, even on the duplicate items, for example I don't think many people would be happy if ofab rings got their icons switched to your avatar, with different colored hats for the various professions. (No really, please, don't do this, please!)

I also don't think the definition of inventory really has much to do with the expectations of the players. Call me an idiot, but I too did not expect equipment icons to get switched until I saw the new icons in my wear window. I agree totally with Jills post and think it reflects the opinions of much of the ingame community.

Quote Originally Posted by Xirayne View Post
    and think it reflects the opinions of much of the ingame community.
    Everybody thinks their opinion reflects the majority of the ingame community.

Keep up the good work, Doc. Ain't seen nothin' I haven't liked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Masta I agree on your definition of the word inventory however in AO it also has its own meaning. I was attempting to point out that some of us would read the heading and believe it to refer to what is known in AO as our "Inventory" the thing you pull up when you hit the letter "I" on your keyboard and is labeled as "Inventory". (BTW it has been a good year or so since I read the original post... so that's where it was in my mind from memory)

Doc seemed a bit confused and perhaps frustrated by what he perceives as conflicting feedback and my post was an attempt to explain it from another point of view. I'm sure I am not alone in my thinking and it is probably something he didn't consider.
    Yes, but I don't see how you can possibly think that it wouldn't include items you equip? Rings, those you equip. Every bit of equipment sits in your inventory menu when not equipped. That means it too is part of that, so why shouldn't that change, when in fact that's where some of the reused icons are really visible?

As for feedback, then what does it matter, really, outside weeding out obviously poor results or polishing an idea? You can never please everyone, so you shouldn't even try. Just go ahead and do it and unless it's so horrible that it breaks everything, which it doesn't in this case, as I'm sure you'll all agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirayne View Post
    I think the aesthetics actually do matter, even on the duplicate items, for example I don't think many people would be happy if ofab rings got their icons switched to your avatar, with different colored hats for the various professions. (No really, please, don't do this, please!)

I also don't think the definition of inventory really has much to do with the expectations of the players. Call me an idiot, but I too did not expect equipment icons to get switched until I saw the new icons in my wear window. I agree totally with Jills post and think it reflects the opinions of much of the ingame community.
    I still can't possibly imagine how you wouldn't expect those to be changed as well. It's stuff that resides in your inventory and it uses a very small amount of unique icons. You can't please everyone, and I'm sure if you had never seen anything but these new icons, you wouldn't be complaining about them. As for aesthetics, then these new icons all follow a similar aesthetic, so that has improved matters! Good, no?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

FYI: For me 'inventory' items are anything that do not have a corresponding in-game model/mesh. That said, some items you can 'wear' but do not affect the visual appearance of your toon, such as rings, bracers, hud items, util items, deck items.

The dust brigade bracer runs through 10 steps or so as you upgrade it. Seeing the final stage bracer can make it look a bit odd, so here is a sample of the bracers all lined up in progression.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...er_Sample4.png

the idea was to have them visually change as they got upgraded.

Anyways, keep the feedback coming.

Cheers!
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

Docaholic maybe once you finish with new icons you could write us perk and proc descriptions?
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

I think my most important issue with some new in-game icons is that they are not recognizable anymore. My Igoc's don't look like the thing I know as igoc which makes them feel less expensive. If you'd just have kept the color blue (the part that is orange in new version), it would have been a much easier step to make and I think they would look just as good. I don't recall seeing most of the new stuff in this thread, I normally keep an eye on it, but I probably missed a bunch too.
    It's probably too late to change, but I just want to give it out as general advice for other things you make. The basic db bracer and motr for example look a bit too smooth, I think they can use some more texture or something.
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciex View Post
    Docaholic maybe once you finish with new icons you could write us perk and proc descriptions?
    I really should finish my posts on those.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Thank you for the updated icons. I'm glad I will no longer have to wear a monster part on my shoulder.

If nothing else, having them ingame means more people might chime in with ideas and feedback, so hey, all positive.
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
    FYI: For me 'inventory' items are anything that do not have a corresponding in-game model/mesh. That said, some items you can 'wear' but do not affect the visual appearance of your toon, such as rings, bracers, hud items, util items, deck items.

The dust brigade bracer runs through 10 steps or so as you upgrade it. Seeing the final stage bracer can make it look a bit odd, so here is a sample of the bracers all lined up in progression.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...er_Sample4.png

the idea was to have them visually change as they got upgraded.

Anyways, keep the feedback coming.

Cheers!
    And now, if someone would be kind enough to make those as an actual visible armor...
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Please do not touch the classics. Soul fragments, MotR and a few others should stay as they were. Replace the look-alikes, but do not touch them. It's not like you replaced them with animated icons, some say they are uglier than before, I like most of them, but that's not the point. Soul fragments alone are bigger than any of you. Soul fragments icons are AO, while you are just people currently working on AO. They don't belong to you, so next time do some sort of poll, if you haven't understood what I just said and are still thinking about replacing the classics' icons. No, don't do any poll, it's too risky. Just ask me. Ask me now. No, you can't touch them. How can I be more persuasive...

DON'T TOUCH THEM!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the rest.
    Last edited by kesh; Jul 8th, 2011 at 04:00:37. Reason: Reduced the Font size

Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 114243444546474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 LastLast