Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272859 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

I know how it feels when one person seems only to have bad things to say about your work, so first of all everything I havn't suggested improvements for is great, good job.

For the Reanimator's ring though I'm not sure about the lighting; looks like it could do with another point just above and to the left of the camera. Low intensity, but enough to light up the other side of the skulls and show details without destroying the shadowed look you've gone for.
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Squad Commander and resident Shade of When I Grow Up

Is your GUI getting in the way of playing AO?
    Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?
    Are you getting tired of that blue colour scheme?
    Try using my Uncluttered GUI!

Quote Originally Posted by Scabadus View Post
    I know how it feels when one person seems only to have bad things to say about your work, so first of all everything I havn't suggested improvements for is great, good job.

For the Reanimator's ring though I'm not sure about the lighting; looks like it could do with another point just above and to the left of the camera. Low intensity, but enough to light up the other side of the skulls and show details without destroying the shadowed look you've gone for.
    I'm an old fart, closing in on the big 50 in years, I never feel bad when people critique my work, I listen and when possible make the necessary tweaks. LoL, you caught me on the snake eye, I only put one there.. I'll get around to giving the one-eyed snake a second eye. no worries, and yeah I fiddled with the lighting,.. I'll try adding another light source in Bryce, see how that turns out.

Thanks for taking the time to give actual criticism, it can only make things better in the long run.

Cheers!

Edit: here is a sample of the old and new ring with the extra light source. Thanks for the advice Scabadus, it seems much better now.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ing_Teaked.jpg

Cheers v2.0!
    Last edited by Docaholic; Dec 14th, 2009 at 02:42:45. Reason: edited to add updated info
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

Here is what I came up with for the different Arul Saba Gems..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ems_Sample.jpg

From left to right,. Arbiter, Monarch, Emperor, Stellar and Galactic. I think the simple addition of an extra point to the gem as they go up in Quality works well.

Let me know what you think, cheers!

Ooo those gems look nice. It would only need a few tweeks to colour to create the whole set for all the different types, and every type would be easily recognisable. That would be a small miracle to our tradeskilling friends, I'm sure.

It's difficult to tell and you might not have, but do bear in mind that if you use transparency and reflections (it looks a little bit like you have on the gems, but again, I could be wrong) that players using a GUI with anything other than default colours will have some odd looking icons. It's not a big concern seeing as FC don't support third party GUIs (and it's not as if even raytracing will massivly increase rendering times on images this size), but I thought it was just worth mentioning.

You've inspired me to try my hand at creating a few icons myself, it's the first time I'm using imported textures so they are currently... very wrong.. to put it lightly... and they're nowhere near the quality of yours but if I don't suffer a bout of artistic rage and scrap them I'll see about posting them somewhere. I'll have to find a place that won't steal any of your limelight.
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Squad Commander and resident Shade of When I Grow Up

Is your GUI getting in the way of playing AO?
    Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?
    Are you getting tired of that blue colour scheme?
    Try using my Uncluttered GUI!

Quote Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
    Here is what I came up with for the different Arul Saba Gems..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ems_Sample.jpg

From left to right,. Arbiter, Monarch, Emperor, Stellar and Galactic. I think the simple addition of an extra point to the gem as they go up in Quality works well.

Let me know what you think, cheers!
    Those look good. Don't forget that there are technically two different types of Arbiter gems however. I know they technically have different names but still it might be worth making one more with only two or three points just to more easily differentiate the two.

Also, and this might just be me, but it seems like the Emperor gem is facing the opposite direction of all the others and that the lighting on some of them seem to be hitting in different places. They also all seem to be sitting at slightly different angles. Not a huge deal really but I always seem to notice little things like that.
    Malcom Ciafardoni
    Circle-G Inc. - The Past. The Present. Your Future.

I'm not a gimp, I'm a trade skill Trader.

How's this for a 'Snake Ring'?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ng_Sample1.jpg

Cheers!
    I think this would look better if it looped around the finger at least once or have its tail in its mouth (or hooked around its head) to complete the circle.
    Some examples for ideas.

Otherwise, I think you're doing a decent job with your designs.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    There comes a point when comments like that go from innocent competition or jokes to trying to use someone else as a stepping stone into the "lime light".

This isn't meant as an accusation, just a statement.

Keep up the good work Doc.
    I'm sure a lot of people COULD do this, but the difference between them and Doc is that they didn't do it
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Whealer View Post
    Also, and this might just be me, but it seems like the Emperor gem is facing the opposite direction of all the others and that the lighting on some of them seem to be hitting in different places. They also all seem to be sitting at slightly different angles. Not a huge deal really but I always seem to notice little things like that.
    Hi, when I 'light the gems' I use many lights to highlight different facets of the gem. to give them a kind of sparkle if you know what I mean, and because the gems have different facets there are anywhere from 3 to 6 lights depending on the gem.

Cheers!

Added a 2 point Arbiter gem to the pack..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ms_Sample2.jpg

Now to go about making different color versions of these gems..

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by tazalanche View Post
    I think this would look better if it looped around the finger at least once or have its tail in its mouth (or hooked around its head) to complete the circle.
    Some examples for ideas.

Otherwise, I think you're doing a decent job with your designs.
    I like it the way it is. Before I clicked on it I was thinking to myself it was going to look exactly like those rings from that google link, but he took it in an unexpected route and it looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox211 View Post
    if this is all it takes to get hired by FC, get everyone all jazzed up and excited and thinking its the next best thing since sliced bread....im not impressed. it makes me feel FC is extraordinarily lazy or untalented, dont get me wrong, its good work, its just not mindblowing. i could do this in Gimp, it wouldnt be too hard. that being said, if FC is really thinking about using this type of art-work, i would gladly contribute my time and donate art like this. i just presumed FC wouldnt be open to the idea because no one had mentioned it. i could do 3d art and texturing as well. i have several years experience doing it.

i really appreciate the starter of this thread going through the effort and showing FC what the community has to offer. FC can hire me anytime
    Go do it then.
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Here is a color test on the Arul Gems, I think we'll be able to find the right combo.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...olor_Test1.jpg

Cheers!

if this is all it takes to get hired by FC, get everyone all jazzed up and excited and thinking its the next best thing since sliced bread....im not impressed. it makes me feel FC is extraordinarily lazy or untalented, dont get me wrong, its good work, its just not mindblowing. i could do this in Gimp, it wouldnt be too hard. that being said, if FC is really thinking about using this type of art-work, i would gladly contribute my time and donate art like this. i just presumed FC wouldnt be open to the idea because no one had mentioned it. i could do 3d art and texturing as well. i have several years experience doing it.

i really appreciate the starter of this thread going through the effort and showing FC what the community has to offer. FC can hire me anytime
    As a business-owner, I know I wouldnt touch you with a furnace-tong after a post like that...

Anywas, awesome work doc. Best thread I've seen on the forums in a very, very long time.

Doing a test for the 'cracked' versions of the gems. I made a 'cracked' texture/mask and applied it to the specular and transparency layers. I think it'll work. what do you think? is it too subtle? or did I pin the tail on this donkey?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...rul_Sample.jpg

Cheers!

Doing a test for the 'cracked' versions of the gems. I made a 'cracked' texture/mask and applied it to the specular and transparency layers. I think it'll work. what do you think? is it too subtle? or did I pin the tail on this donkey?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...rul_Sample.jpg

Cheers!
    I'd say too many cracks in some cases, and the cracks only seem to be on the surface, not through the gem, but they still looks good.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Some of them look great, others (due to the lighting maybe?) seem too similar to the original. I don't think the cracked texture stands out enough for those of us with old eyes.

specifically, the 5 point and 6 point ones I can tell the difference easily. The rest of them I had to squint.

Cheers! Great job on all this work. WTG Docaholic!
    Last edited by Xtrememeta; Dec 14th, 2009 at 15:51:45.

Xtrememeta - -- lvl 175 MP
    Xtremefixer -. -- lvl 121 Fixer
    Xtremefists -- -- lvl 100 MA
    XtremeNT ---. -- lvl 3 NT

Party (RP) Alts
    Doyan -------. -- lvl 82 MA
    Donigan -----. -- lvl 25 Engi
    Skiper -------. -- lvl 61 Fixer

Here is a color test on the Arul Gems, I think we'll be able to find the right combo.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...olor_Test1.jpg

Cheers!
    Here are the colors I like best for the different Arul Saba Gems but meh its all personal preference at this point.

Melee - Bruised Brawler - Third Row, Third Gem
    Energy - Burning Plasma - First Row, Second Gem
    Chemical - Corroded Glory - Third Row, Fifth Gem
    Max Health - Eternal Juggernaut - Third Row, Seventh Gem
    Cold - Frozen Tundra - Second Row, Seventh Gem
    Max Nano - Infinate Moebius - Second Row, Sixth Gem
    Projectile - Jagged Landscape - Third Row, First Gem
    Radiation - Rainbow-Hued Sky - Third Row, Sixth Gem
    Fire - Searing Desert - Second Row, Third Gem
    Poison - Silent Killer - Sencond Row, Second Gem

As far as the cracked gems go, I have to agree with Ebondevil in that there are a few to many cracks in some of them gems. I always personally pictured them with one big crack across the length of the gem.

Along these lines though is there really any reason to make new textures for the cracked gems seeing as they are not used in the game for anything currently? Other then the fact that I'm assuming its not to time consuming to do them since you already have the original gems.

Otherwise they look great and I'd love to see a them in a few different colors.
    Malcom Ciafardoni
    Circle-G Inc. - The Past. The Present. Your Future.

I'm not a gimp, I'm a trade skill Trader.

actually you will see that work exactly like this is what gets people hired alot of the time. its not just what he can do but the fact that he did it for absolutely nothing and he did a good job.

its not the skills i mean its not like graphic designers are the rarest thing in the world, its the fact that he took the initiative and you didn't, so sucks to be you you are obviously jealous.

hell for example portal was a 3rd party mod until valve hired the team working on it because it was so good.

These graphics are amazing work.

I believe this is one of the greatest suggestion threads of all forum history.

I also think this should be placed as a sticky for everyone to see at the top of the page.

bump again !
    hope FC will care about what's happening in here.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272859 ... LastLast