Thread: Being considerate to others

Being considerate to others

As I begin to type this, for some reason I get the ominous feeling that this is going to be troll bait, but still...

This morning as I was perusing forums over my morning coffee, I realized that there are quite a few posts along the flavor of, "FC, this is broken, please fix this." where in fact the thing that's broken are the players.

It takes no time at all to be a [insert your favorite explicative here], but takes just a moment to be considerate to others. Apparently that moment is too much or being a [insert your favorite explicative here again] is much more fun.

Here are some examples:

Enigma Dogs daily mission: This mission is an exercise in learning /pet free for non-crats. You can have up to two enigma dogs for your ball-nuking pleasure (just like crat short charms!), but when you're done, please either grid/warp out, do a /pet free to release them back into the wild for the next player to use, or even set them off to attack and get killed by a swap warg! If you do a /pet free, they will (as with all freed charm pets) immediately aggro you. You can just run/fly/meep away or you can kill them. When enigma dogs die, will respawn virtually instantly in the same area. Training them to the bar teleporters in AI city to the North seems what many people do after completing this mission. For everyone who can't find an enigma dog, I recommend you go to the AI city north of the mission location, stand in front of the teleporters and press <TAB> repeatedly. You will invariably find an enigma dog there (I've found as many as 4 inside the Neuters R' Us teleporter). Charm one. Heck charm two for the sake of bringing them back to the mission area.

Eavesdropping daily mission: To the crat or crats who is/are leaving *TWO* slayerdroids in the little space where Ed Burton lives. You are a jerk. The only reason for doing this is to annoy other people. If you're not going to stand around and gloat and watch other people suffer, you're not even being funny, you are just mean-spirited. And yes, my TL5 toons are gimp.

Thanks.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

"ingame " store makes on "broke"...easy to get stuff for soical and practical use "beacon warps " tokens"...but in RL it does give you more time to work..cause you need a the RL credit..or else go "broke' ^_=
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Good thoughts, but a lost cause imo. A$$hats will be a$$hats and trolls will be trolls. Advies that morph into lizards and stand over grid points, people that set up APTs on top of cap points so they can't be clicked, trainers, KSers, etc. etc. It's no worse than the discourtesy you deal with everyday in real life.

Props for trying to make the world better, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lliers View Post
    If you do a /pet free, they will (as with all freed charm pets) immediately aggro you. You can just run/fly/meep away or you can kill them.
    To be fair...

When they aggro you, they also follow you. And they seem to have quite the aggro range. When I do it on my advy, I do /pet terminate and then parrot and fly north towards the player cities, assuming I'll be leaving it behind in the woods. Sometimes, however, the enigma dog is still attacking me when I get to the android dyna and I have a little dilema about whether I should turn back and kill it and put it into respawn timer (which I assume is 10mins), or keep going and hope that it hasn't followed too far or it resets.

Probably the best solution is to kill the dog when you're done, but since that's actually quite counter-intuative (and imagine if someone you didn't see, who was waiting, saw you do it), it's not really fair to say that it's inconsiderate if you don't.

I imagine a lot of people go through the same thing. With that mission I do feel like the issue is more likely to be the number/location of charmable dogs.

It'd be interesting to know exactly how many there are in the playfield at once and where they spawn. It seems to me that you've made a little too much assumption here. So personally I don't blame the players for this particular problem just yet.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

On the other hand...

/rant

Players are ****heads. I hate you all!

Seriously.

The other day I was looking for a team on a leveling char and didn't find one on LFT of course. So I headed off to a popular levelling spot. I ran up and down looking for people and no-one was there so I started soloing instead.

After a bit of time a whole team came along with not one but two OSTs and started killing stuff. "Eh," I thought, "there's enough mobs for us all" and carried on, careful not to attack any mobs that they pulled (since they started following me around for some reason).

Then of course they started attacking the mobs I pulled... but I was pleased to see that I was outdamaging their entire team. But they continued at it constantly, telling me in no uncertain terms that I should GTFO.

"**** that," I thought, "I'm not going to let them bully me out of here."

In the end one of their OSTs started one-shotting every mob that I attacked, essentially killing his own team's mobs, the fool. But I still had no intention of leaving. I just kept on going and /petitioned instead.

"Your petition has been classified as Lost Items," it said.

So I change the classification to Harassment and wait... An hour later it's still going on and I wonder why no-one has talked to me.

"/petition status" I said.

"Your petition was never entered into the queue," it said.

"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" I said.

/rant off

I'm sure everyone has similar stories, ofc.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Hokutonoken View Post
    "ingame " store makes on "broke"...easy to get stuff for soical and practical use "beacon warps " tokens"...but in RL it does give you more time to work..cause you need a the RL credit..or else go "broke' ^_=
    why is it that every time i see you post it's on the topic of the item store?

Most people are nice and considerate. But there will always be some who are not. With internet anonimity it gets worst. And there is rarelly any use in trying to talk sense into their heads or reason with them. Some people are like that, without the threat of some form of punishment (even if it is only social reproach) they will do the worst, most inconsiderate things to anoy and cause arm to others. Just because they can.

MMOs need to take this into consideration. When designing a game a developer needs to consider what is the worst possible thing that a player can do. Because sooner or later there will be someone doing it. I think all developers need to take this into consideration.

In my opinion gameplay that allows some players to cause trouble to other players is broken gameplay and needs to be fixed. While being to much carbear takes out the fun of the game it is also true that allowing toons of high level into areas where they have nothing to gain from is a possible cause of problems.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lliers View Post
    Enigma Dogs daily mission: This mission is an exercise in learning /pet free for non-crats. You can have up to two enigma dogs for your ball-nuking pleasure (just like crat short charms!), but when you're done, please either grid/warp out, do a /pet free to release them back into the wild for the next player to use, or even set them off to attack and get killed by a swap warg! If you do a /pet free, they will (as with all freed charm pets) immediately aggro you. You can just run/fly/meep away or you can kill them. When enigma dogs die, will respawn virtually instantly in the same area. Training them to the bar teleporters in AI city to the North seems what many people do after completing this mission. For everyone who can't find an enigma dog, I recommend you go to the AI city north of the mission location, stand in front of the teleporters and press <TAB> repeatedly. You will invariably find an enigma dog there (I've found as many as 4 inside the Neuters R' Us teleporter). Charm one. Heck charm two for the sake of bringing them back to the mission area.
    I updated the guides on AO Universe (Enigma Dogs and Eavesdropping) with your suggestions and gave you credit. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Last edited by alfora; May 27th, 2011 at 10:40:37.
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by alfora View Post
    I updated the guides on AO Universe (Enigma Dogs and Eavesdropping) with your suggestions and gave you credit. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Wow, thanks. For Enigma Dogs mission you could mention for people that have trouble finding an enigma dog, that they should actually blindly target in front of the whompahs (by pressing TAB) because mostly the Enigma Dogs are *INSIDE* the whompa (behind closed doors) and you can't actually *SEE* any enigma dogs there. (Good thing, at least they're targettable through the closed whompah door.)
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

I just /pet wait the enigma dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    I just use one of my warp item or a grid nano. But your method should be bumped
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    I put that method into the AOU guide too. Thanks.
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

As of dogs, and mobs in general, I think FC should reset them after a while when not in fight etc, not make us make any work-arounds.
    Mireiawen Rose, 215/30/70 neut fixer, setup RK2
    Mireiwen Rose, 220/27/62 neut MA trader/tradeskiller, setup RK2
    Miraiwen Rose, 220/30/70 neut SMG soldier, setup RK2
    Miraeawen Rose, 220/27/70 neut MP, setup RK2
    Mireiaieawen Rose, 220/30/69 neut tank, RK2
    +bunch of others in Rose family...

President of Neutral Warriors | Neutnet mod | Mireiawen.net

Got superior pewpew or nerfbat? But it looks ugly, or you are just plain bored with everyone going around with same? Bump for Weapon Remodeling and get your unique looks!