Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: this would explain much

For now, it seems that this thread is on its way toward purely historical status, but who knows...

For now, it seems this meme is on its way to a purely historical status, but who knows...
    Squad Commander of Paragon

Kaelde ~ little gimpy engi of doom
    Ecrisi ~ Even squishier than Kae, if that was at all possible

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    I have really gotta start incorporating "Haterade" into my vocabulary more often.
    *falls out of chair laughing*

me too

for now, it seems that "for now, it seems that <insert here> is on its way toward purely historical status, but who knows..." is on its way toward purely historical status, but who knows...
    Scene :: Meta-Physicist :: 220/30/70
    Scenetoo :: Trader :: 204/28/52
    Scentinal :: Enforcer :: 165/22/33
    Scenato :: Keeper :: 136/16/25

AO Universe - by players, for players :: former general of Omni-Pol

Quote Originally Posted by Rurounin View Post
    Check post #43, confirmation if it's the real Means or not? :P

Lovely short reply if it is ^^
    I hope it is – It looks like it from his other posts.

Whatever the case. It's about time a GD goes over there to dish out a good slappin'
    God awfull site. Bored to tears of the doomsayers who write this garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpaul View Post
    The movie and the "screenshots" with the new engine smells like "keep-paying-costumers-happy-propaganda"
    Which movie? There have been a few.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpaul View Post
    I doubt the new engine is really in progress. The movie and the "screenshots" with the new engine smells like "keep-paying-costumers-happy-propaganda"
    Of course it is. It's to show they're actually working on it.
    What else is new?
    Last edited by Demoder; Mar 7th, 2010 at 15:56:33.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Wink

If the new engine is in fact under development, it would be nice to know how far FC has come with it. As it is right now there is allot of guessing.
    This game does not have the playerbase it once had, so I would like that FC take better care of the players that are left and paying for 1-2-3 accounts. I love the game, but I would love to be more included, right now there it utter silence from FC.

How far are the engine from being tested on testserver, a rough estimate is better than just silence. Same goes with the rebalancing, I would like a rough estimate on when it will be released or tested on testserver.

Aren't there bits of info almost every week in FWM? 2010 in live servers was said in one of them.

Estimates like "summer 2007" have made them a bit wary I think.
    Berim, Lacian, Greyd, Misterburns, Techro and Hockenberry

Quote Originally Posted by Classof73 View Post
    a rough estimate is better than just silence.
    Estimations are bad:

1) Something could (and usually does) go really bad and it adds considerable delay making the estimated deadline shoot past.

2) Someone decides that estimation means "it will be released this day plus or minus a week" and will complain when they're wrong.

3) Someone doesn't like the estimated time and thinks it's way to long and complains that it should be done quicker.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Classof73 View Post
    If the new engine is in fact under development, it would be nice to know how far FC has come with it. As it is right now there is allot of guessing.
    This game does not have the playerbase it once had, so I would like that FC take better care of the players that are left and paying for 1-2-3 accounts. I love the game, but I would love to be more included, right now there it utter silence from FC.

How far are the engine from being tested on testserver, a rough estimate is better than just silence. Same goes with the rebalancing, I would like a rough estimate on when it will be released or tested on testserver.
    Uhm. You should start hanging out more in Community Corner.

Thumbs up People who have no idea what goes into creating games shouldn't complain

I have read through several message threads and all I see is everyone bashing the developers for not getting the new stuff out when they "said" they would. If you have never programmed a large scale game working with a huge team of developers, coders, animators, and debuggers,etc., then you have no idea what it takes to create something of this magnitude, let alone just CHANGING what is already out there. There are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of lines of code to go through just to change to the new engine, then there is all the new content they want to get in there too.

I have worked in QC for a small company, and even they had some trouble getting some of the things out on time, and that included working long hours into the night, neglecting family in the process (it's a good thing part of my family worked at the same company, and the other part of my family is teenagers and had their own adgenda ) But still there are very long days(and nights) that it takes just to get out small websites, let alone huge games. Lots of stress, and these people have families and lives outside of work too. It is expected that there will be some delays when unexpected LIFE things happen, they don't stop their lives just to work 24/7 so you can all lose your lives in a video game, that half of you don't even want to pay for, or complain all the time about.Cut them some slack people, I for one think that they have done an outstanding job so far, they are the only game (MMO) that I have ever stayed with as long as I have, and I believe they are the longest current running MMO out there, I'd say thats a testament to their efforts.

Keep up the great work FC! And I'll be there WHENEVER the new engine is up and running.

They're not the longest running MMO. Everquest has been running longer. I think Ultima Online is still around. Meridian 59 even had a remake.

People aren't complaining that they didn't get it done when they said they would, at least not that I've seen. People are complaining that the new engine is turning into Duke Nukem Forever. We get a couple screenshots or a video every once in a while, and other than that, basically nothing since they stated their intention of adapting AO for a new engine (which was in 2007, if I remember correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by Kallya View Post
    There are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of lines of code to go through just to change to the new engine, then there is all the new content they want to get in there too.
    I'd say millions. My small projects are a few thousand lines, and they do nothing compared to AO.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Essessceeaych View Post
    People are complaining that the new engine is turning into Duke Nukem Forever.
    No, it's not. The engine project hasn't been running for some 13 years, for starters, just a few years. And they haven't had millions upon millions of dollars to pour into the engine upgrade. That, and they are actually showing almost constant progress now, unlike with DNF. Every other week we get screenshots, and small updates on how things are coming along.

Just because it's taking a while longer than anticipated isn't making it Duke Nukem Forever. More like Half-Life 2.
    GO WITH MANY BLELBINEMS

GUESS WHO (IT STARTS WITH "SWORD" AND ENDS WITH "BREAKER")

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Swardbearker View Post
    No, it's not. The engine project hasn't been running for some 13 years, for starters, just a few years. And they haven't had millions upon millions of dollars to pour into the engine upgrade. That, and they are actually showing almost constant progress now, unlike with DNF. Every other week we get screenshots, and small updates on how things are coming along.

Just because it's taking a while longer than anticipated isn't making it Duke Nukem Forever. More like Half-Life 2.
    Read what I said again...I said "people are complaining that." I didn't say it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Essessceeaych View Post
    Read what I said again...I said "people are complaining that." I didn't say it was.
    I read what you said, and I said that people are wrong, which they are. The engine's nowhere near being a DNF, and anyone who claims it is, is exaggerating beyond belief.
    GO WITH MANY BLELBINEMS

GUESS WHO (IT STARTS WITH "SWORD" AND ENDS WITH "BREAKER")

LOL

ay, ay, ay

It seems strange to me how little faith people seem to have, or how little knowledge of game dev they have.

Does anyone remember AO just a few years ago? There was a lot of talk about an imminent shutdown of AO, yet it's still around.

I took a couple year break, and come back and am honestly a bit shocked how much further things have gone. I think there's hope for a few more years of AO, especially with the new engine release coming soon.

Could we please stop speculating on corporate affairs and just play the god damn game people?

If I hear one more whine about how bad the population is, how uncaring the developers are, etc...I will have to kick something, very hard. You do remember how old this game is, right?

/rant
    **Proud Squad Commander of Nightmares End**

Aeirilys - 220 Doc RK2
    Spiritofsnow - 150 Sol RK2
    Oniaikido - 98 Leveling Up MA RK2

[ Rebel for Life ]~[ Clan 'til Death ]

Quote Originally Posted by AryannaCK View Post
    Does anyone remember AO just a few years ago? There was a lot of talk about an imminent shutdown of AO, yet it's still around.
    They've been saying that since July 2001

Guardian Venachar
    Public Forums Moderator - Deputy Team Lead | Professionals Liaison
    Forums Team | Community Relations Department | Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12