Thread: What to use after OT-Windchaser SM37 PSB Pholler

What to use after OT-Windchaser SM37 PSB Pholler

I'm playing with a level 95 Nanomage Trader and have been having fun with the Windchaser line of shotguns, but I'm not sure where to go next as the line ends at QL190

I almost always am soloing and have absolutely no interest in PvP, so what I'm after is something for hunting mobs in RK and SL (and aliens when Sector 10 becomes available). Squishiness can be a problem but the trader nano tool set seems capable of addressing this.

I like the Windchasers for being fast (which works well with the Accumulator perk) and massive criticals (nerve-wracking but fun to rely on those for the kills). I've like at least a competence at trade skills later, so I'm after something that's not to IP intensive. However there seems to be no natural follow on weapon with those characteristics.

Any ideas? Perhaps even just stick with the current weapon for many more levels (it is after all a QL190 weapon). Or do I just have to adapt to a different play style?

There is nothing wrong with the chosen weapon, you could always focus on getting more Critical hit chance, maybe go over to a Krutt Assault 219 Waltzing Queen, for fling and even higher criticals, Ithaca Snakemaster ain't bad either and with a crit scope you don't even need to worry about the AS requirement for PvM.

Then there's always Maw of the Abyss from IS, Kyr'ozch Shotgun's, Silverback, or you could try and get your hands on a Massive Bolt Charger once you farm some credits from S10, while the last mentioned is not a Shotgun it's one of your better options, fast fling and burst, paired with nice normal damage and fast attack speed and recharge.

You could also start experimenting with Fine Smith Shatterguns and their dual wield ability. Or you could start having fun with some melee weapon as well, at that level there really is no limit to what a trader should and shouldn't use
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

Thanks, Rurounin. I rather read your reply as there's nothing that is fast, pure shotgun and high critical beyond what I've got. Thus your recommendation is to either improve my use of that (e.g. +crit) or try other approaches to combat.

Out of interest, what would your response be up in the level 200's? There it looks like shotgun regular damage rather than crits is the proper thing to focus on, and Fine Smith Shatterguns + something shading into Greed of the Xan or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalv View Post
    Out of interest, what would your response be up in the level 200's? There it looks like shotgun regular damage rather than crits is the proper thing to focus on, and Fine Smith Shatterguns + something shading into Greed of the Xan or similar.
    On almost all two handed shotguns you will want to focus on critical chance instead of add damage, because that's where they really do shine after all.

As for regular damage, you mentioned the Fine Smith Shattergun, when you start experimenting with dual wield weapons it is often better to aim for more pure damage add instead of critical hit % since you also get weapon specials that doesn't score critical hits (well, only burst in this case).

For a final end-game DD setup the Fine Smith Shattergun + Rapier/Rhat'ata combo would work the best, with a mix of critical chance and +damage, depending on the item. I'm sure there are other combinations as well, but dual wield, even if it's melee or ranged will score you the most damage as a DD trader.

Greed of the Xan is not bad at all, with a high critical hit setup you will do some pretty sweet damage, it also has the advantage of beeing cheap on your IP, while all dual wield setups will eat your IP up fast, I switched to Greed of the Xan myself, it's damage is nice, no complaints there, even if my previous FSS+Rapier setup did more damage, beeing able to use IP on things I want again feels great.

The route I would take from early TL4 to TL7:
    Snakemaster+crit setup -> Silverback MK 6+crit setup -> FSS+Kyr'ozch Machine Pistol with energy damage setup -> FSS+Rapier with energy damage setup -> Greed of the Xan (once you get to 215 for your crit drains).
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

You can make a turnspirit shotgun. It does chemical dmg so it will do a lot dmg vs ely hecks. At lvl 150 you can even put ql 300 if only you can find one or farm a bit vp for silverback that you should have some fun with if only you max concealment.

At lvl 100 my trader used FSS around ql 190 and home defender / bazzit diplomatic. H.D. with a crit scope, crat coffee etc. did a bit more dmg than bazzit. Ql 190 FSS is a bit low but it had lower multiranged requirement so i could put ql 200 H.D / bazzit with almost no IP in MR. Home defender crits for around 3,5k on ely hecks with an average leveling setup.
    Last edited by Ciekafsky; Mar 23rd, 2010 at 09:59:48.
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciekafsky View Post
    You can make a turnspirit shotgun.
    that actually works very well, but it's super boring. using a 207 for s10 on mt 150 and been looking for a 270+ for months now with no luck at all
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Nab, ql 207 is pretty low, you would do much better with 225 - 250 silverback.
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciekafsky View Post
    Nab, ql 207 is pretty low, you would do much better with 225 - 250 silverback.
    I put it on at 118, u know...when it's impossible to get VP.

it's not like i can just go out and buy a 300 + turn spirit, like i said been looking for 270+ ( WTB send tell to sig'd toons! )
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL