Thread: IP Reset Points

IP Reset Points

I believe this to be appropiate for this forum, however it may need to be moved - feel free

Balancing all toons takes a lot of time and one thing that can negate all your efforts is the requirement to have to strip down a toon EVERY time you make a single reset. This old mechanic needs to change - maybe in line with the current perk reset vendor i.e. a time penalty rather than taking many days/weeks to get the toon back to a semblance of normality.

I believe in the short/long term it will aid feedback into the area of long term balance as it will allow people to experiment more.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned.

I only have a few left

definitly I need some more of these.

And S42 never runs on RK2

IP skill>equip item>reset skill. OE only effects some things.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    your an idiot

Agreed to some extent. You should have to de-equip some things such as belts, or armor. I could agree with keeping symbiants in place, but if a belt took 1750 cl, or a bracer, you equipped it, then reset Comp Lit for free IP while keeping those items on, thats not right.

Symbiants on the other hand all use Base stats and treatment. Nobodys gonna reset those. Or perhaps take a further step to say that you can't reset treatment/abilities while equipped, but can be done manually the old way.

Some small adjustments have to be made to make sure it cant be exploited, but it is a good idea.
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Symbiants on the other hand all use Base stats and treatment. Nobodys gonna reset those. Or perhaps take a further step to say that you can't reset treatment/abilities while equipped, but can be done manually the old way.
    Bump
    Would make trying new setups reasonable. Help get rid of the whole "cookie cutter" thing.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

I'll just requote these posts considering you've got a second thread on this.

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    Wtf several weeks? You do know that there is the possibility of resetting all perks as many times as you like, as fast as you like? Sure, to do it faster than once every 2 days costs a bit, but how is a free 48h full perk reset end up taking several weeks of toon downtime?
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    A few weeks? Dude, where are you living? Perk reset 48 hours, if you get your toon back to its original capabilities you already have all the items needed... so it'll just be borrowing the items again, getting org mates to give you buffs. Which doesn't take several weeks... a few hours at most.
    2 days is hardly anything. There's too much room for exploiting with making reset points able to be used without stripping.

And anyway, who actually has reset points nowadays? We get so few anyway it isn't worth it.
    Squad Commander of Paragon

Kaelde ~ little gimpy engi of doom
    Ecrisi ~ Even squishier than Kae, if that was at all possible

I asked a question on knowledgebase, not a thread as such, prompting this real thread.

As for the quotes you posted, if you can strip a toon downand rebuild completely for 1 reset point in 2 days I would be impressed, but it's still a waste of time! As for taking days/several weeks I stand by that statement.

I am sure that some extreme twinkers could tell you how many hoops they went through to get those last few points and lets face it they are not the only ones who might benefit from this kind of change.

If you don't have any reset points I rest my case you may have wasted a lot of time and energy using the wrong skills. You want to shoot me down in flames feel free, but you can buy reset points if you didn't already know

The masses being able to change skills without having unnecessary down time is the point. I take it on board about some skills i.e. comp lit shouldnt have this capability. But overall don't you want to be able to play the game rather than eternally resetting?

Why oh why such a change? To avoid re-equipping after shaving a few IP? I think that the superficial innocence of the request is overshadowed by the opportunities that it would bring to

1) semi-sploiting, you reset skills you need in order to equip & twink into your final equipment, resulting in
    2) additional IP available in total to some profession/breed/equip combos

You have your twinking equips, you can get buffs, hopefully you have the contracts you need.. just pop out your stuff, reset the skills and get the stuff back on. It's not rocket science to do any twinking task again at any rate.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Klanbear View Post
    The masses being able to change skills without having unnecessary down time is the point. I take it on board about some skills i.e. comp lit shouldnt have this capability. But overall don't you want to be able to play the game rather than eternally resetting?
    The whole idea is that you make your choice and stick to it, its not "Flavour of the Month Online".

That said, they should let you reset any skill that isnt used on an equipable item without stripping.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

I asked a question on knowledgebase, not a thread as such, prompting this real thread.
    My apologies then. I was merely bringing the quotes here because they were relevant, and I remembered that you had posted something much like this there.
    As for the quotes you posted, if you can strip a toon downand rebuild completely for 1 reset point in 2 days I would be impressed, but it's still a waste of time! As for taking days/several weeks I stand by that statement.
    1 reset point, 1 full perk reset, run around for buffs, put on symbiants and equipment again, that'll take 3ish hours at most if you can't find the buffs firsthand, leave toon high and dry for the next 2 days, 1 full perk reset done. Where's the weeks of work there????

I am sure that some extreme twinkers could tell you how many hoops they went through to get those last few points and lets face it they are not the only ones who might benefit from this kind of change.
    Yes, they had to sink in IP into skills they needed to help with twinking - let's take the Omni Gunships; oh noes, they have vehicle ground in their skills setup! - but once the twinking is done they could do a reset and woohoo they have their IP again. That is semi-exploiting.

If you don't have any reset points I rest my case you may have wasted a lot of time and energy using the wrong skills. You want to shoot me down in flames feel free, but you can buy reset points if you didn't already know
    In case you didn't notice, the meant it was sarcasm. I have a large amount of reset points, having used none of them on most my characters (my enfo has changed weapons once).

I would actually rather have to make small sacrifice to make my toon the very best. I wouldn't want to be given the opportunity to change on a whim (hypocritical I know considering I'm all for free unlimited IPRs!), and would much rather have to actually put some effort into it. The system's fine as it is. Changing it in this way would cause too much of a chance for people to cheat and gain extra skillpoints without having to sacrifice anything but a reset point that they could farm easily.
    Squad Commander of Paragon

Kaelde ~ little gimpy engi of doom
    Ecrisi ~ Even squishier than Kae, if that was at all possible

Ok, for an example which I have had to do: You wish to put on a pair of 160 cushions to get enough i.e. 40 points Str/Sta - a common problem on a nanomage. You need heavy weapons for those cushions, so you do a perk reset , up ai weapon skills. Now to get on a symbiant you now need more treatment. With perk reset you could spend 20M on reset or wait 48 hours or reset back at 2 hours per perk. So for an average Joe it can take much longer than 3 hours and sometimes a lot longer than 2 days.

So rather than being a semi sploiting it becomes a mechanic providing a practical use for IPR's, possibly limited to weapon skills.

I think you also explained why you still, like most of us still have nearly all of our ip reset points. It takes too long for 1 skill change which limits choice, the ability to change and try new things . For those who have used their IPR's usually it has been due to FC changing overall balance especially weapon capabilities, after all they gave full IPR's for a reason...hence why I think thisneeds to be aired as part of balance issues as it affects every class.

If there was a time limit for each IPR - and no ability to pay 20M for extra there would be less of an impact and at least I could spend fruitfully my FC given IPR's
    Last edited by Klanbear; Apr 21st, 2010 at 07:14:01. Reason: Clarifying why this is a balance issue.

IPing a weapon to equip symbs, then IPRing w/o removing the symbs sounds nice in theory but this will lead to semi-sploiting. Just because you made a breed choice doesn't mean FC has to make every top item equipable by you easy. Either find a way to do it w/o IPing uneeded skills or just use lesser items. Not being in full alphas @ 220 won't make you supergimp as the 2nd from top symbs in most lines are fairly close.

I remember when being able to reset all perks at one time was rightly considered an exploit, now it is a controlled mechanic.

Heres to a slightly less complicated, streamlined IP reset system *drinks a glass of wine*

Heres to a slightly less complicated, streamlined IP reset system *drinks a glass of wine*
    The only sensible way to do something like this that spring to mind is a check to see if you have any items equipped that uses the skill you're resetting. That is, if you are resetting CompLit you need to remove belts and NCU while your gun, which doesn't use that skill, can stay.
    That'd cut down on the time to reequip items.
    Add a realtime lockdown on IPR use as well, or something, then there should be few ways to abuse this mechanic. Perhaps, 18:15 hours. ^^

Now about the use of IPRs.
    Many people used their IPRs not because FC made any big changes but because a new sword/hammer/gun came out, hence Castaras' remark about "flavour of the month."

That we have now been given a way to do more resets is both good and bad but at least now we have more opportunities to play around with different setups.
    Which, incidentally, wasn't the original idea behind IPRs but something the community found was a good way to use them.
    Me? Trouble? No trouble..

As Mae West said: "Never resist temptation, you don't know if you'll get another chance."

There should be a ISP vendor, much like the Perk Reset Guy. Buy a full reset for 20mil.
    Geez take it Eeez son.

no no no. this will lead to some insane twinks if you can reset abilities while keeping symbs/imps on lol. IP vendor is fine as long as you have to completely dequip your toon b4 using it.
    Deathmaster1 220/30/70 Dmsengi 220/28/70
    Dmstanker 220/30/70 Dmsdoc 220/25/70
    Anarchic1 126/15/35 Dmsfix 220/30/70
    Imakeyouoe 164/22/42 Imakeyouoe2 85/9/21

BM of Dark Front - We are recruiting. darkfront.org

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic1 View Post
    no no no. this will lead to some insane twinks if you can reset abilities while keeping symbs/imps on lol. IP vendor is fine as long as you have to completely dequip your toon b4 using it.
    That was kinda obvious.
    Geez take it Eeez son.