Thread: Hello Agents, old player returning...maybe

Hello Agents, old player returning...maybe

What's up guys/gals, Iconwilliams here. Started at launch back in 01 and played until early 2005.(left for WoW's midnight launch and phased AO out shortly after) Decided to reactivate and realized...it's been over 5 years since I've played this game. DL'ing the client atm and might even log in soon.

What I want to know is, how are Agents now-a-days?

Not long after I left it was all about +off or +def in your clusters(I'll be impressed if anyone actually remembers that...ending up being +off in the end, though I used def and a Cat and found huge success) and people were killing The Beast. I was a Legion member and was extremely active in the agent community. Mattie and Morphex were the Agent professionals at the time. Agentsector.com had pretty much died out, but that was also a fun spot the first 2-3 years of AO for agents.

Been doing some reading and realized something...I don't remember much, lol.

Anyways, hello again and hope to hear some helpful things. Maybe I'll see some of you ingame. I should still be in Azure w/ some badass cape....that helm that you could level up and a pimp ass luxury Yalm. Neophyte or Experienced title...can't remember.

Ty in advance for any useful info. I'll post a few specific questions.

1. What gear is top of the food chain atm? When I left Cats were great, just made Agent only at the time, but the blue rifles were becoming pretty standard...Joy of the Hunt/Race were good too.

2. How are we in pvp? When I left perks were making certain classes amazing. Won't get into it too much, but if you had any healing capabilities to go along dmg...you were a bit ahead of the curve. Agents were kind of built to gank and run. I'm sure we're the same way, but Atrox was the flavor at the time bc of the racials or whatever the equivalent is in this game.

3. How are we in Pve? When I left, you could los(sometimes) and Aimed Shot while in combat, or unstealthed. We using any special type of ammo for dps?

4. What is our role in raids or teams? From launch to....well, whenever...we were elected the pullers, but realistically.....we just pewpew'd. Have we been given any specific team roles? Have any new, class defining, abilities been implemented in over the past 5-6 years? I know...loaded question, clif notes appreciated.
    Last edited by iconwilliams; May 8th, 2010 at 15:09:50.

none of these questions can be answered at this time since they are overhauling everything. odds are: things are gonna be messed up even worse afterwards. but hey, you never know, maybe santa is real. but if he is let's all hope he ain't a ped...uhm. you get my point.

Thats alot of info to fill in for that many years away
    I started in 2005 and have been away fro a few months.

At the moment agents are roughly and with an average top level setup pretty decent in pvm soloing although not so much in the damage as most would like.

In pvp we are roughly in the top 5 in pvp performance depending on player skills and setup.

With the lost Eden exspansion we have better weaps for pvp and pvm and also armour from that exspansion called Ofab is pretty good for a cheap setup and also still some parts are mix matched for the stats so you will need it anyway i would imagine.

If you were an experienced player before which it sounds to be then id advise (guessing your lvl 200 or so) to forget spending creds on armor,get yourself leveled in shadowlands to level 210 using only creds for offence,like the best rifles.The idea being at low level in inferno you will have to be leeching off higher players to gain enough levels to do enough damage whereby you are seen as acceptable with teams as a damage dealer.
    When you eventually get to inferno and have made it to level 210 the whole game will start to open up for you.Like being shot out a gate.
    The tl7 battle station will be running in ICC where you can pvp for victory points and get your rifle: ql300 ofab cobra mk6(needs to be upgraded ) BooYaa! lol

what i would do then is as soon as i got the cobra id be straight onto getting the highest implants(if im poor) or symbiants i can for rifle agility sense and the basic stuff you might still want like nano skills.And head back out and start leveling to 215.At 215 i personally would then carry on to 220 because i know enough now to tank/lead team missions with the minimum of cost and deaths...i like to think anyway.

Some others like to work on their setups at around 215 and catch up with the stuff they neglected.I tend to think if i can run the road to 220 it gives me all the time and IP to get the rest of the stuff faster and easier than if i was 5 levels lower.But i only reccomend that to anyone who has played as a froob to 150+ or played to 150+ before shadowlands.As you can be a bit gimpy for a 215-220 at this stage and it takes a buzzed mind to coordinate things in the team missions so everyone that joined the team you start are happy that it went smoothly.Too many deaths or stopages and people get restless.A good reputation for doing good damage rarely dying or having to be healed all the time when your level 210 will pay ten fold when you wish to carry from 215 -220 getting into teams.People will remember you.Dont know how many times i have advised or been advised in a team while recruiting "oh dont grab him,he doesnt listen to anything you say or dies all the time you will be waiting on him every 5 mins.The exception in AO generally is org teams are alot more forgiving and the atmosphere in missions is very much more jokey and fun,from my experience anyway.

In between all the leveling there are plenty of beast and pandemonium raids or Lost eden areas you can get items symbs AI xp etc.
    And of course the most important fun part, pvp and chatting to other agents

If you are not lvl 200 and maybe sitting somewhere below 150 i would then say just enjoy the game wherever you are its not so bad and a bit of fun exploring shadowlands and doing a few quests to warm you up.
    should you be in a hurry to level when you cant find teams you can kite from about lvl 160-180 in penumbra temples for redeemed or unredeemed.Inside the spirit rooms.You will need to have mimic NT and use auno.org to find all the usefull nanos that will help you kite inside there.
    Thats always my prefered way to lvl my agents regardless of teams.I then carry on to inferno at level 180 ish and kite myself to 200 and hopo across then to inferno missions if i can get a team.This is the hardest level to get going if you dont have a busy org to help you out.

Best of look and after the rebalance patch if your on rk2 i might see you around.
    Last edited by torakx; May 8th, 2010 at 16:00:31.

Thanks for the respones, Xootch and Torakx. I am level 208, w/ 10 alien levels and on RK1. I'm looking forward to getting into game, but the Full Client I dl'd isn't working. Very disappointed atm.

Quote Originally Posted by iconwilliams View Post
    1. What gear is top of the food chain atm? When I left Cats were great, just made Agent only at the time, but the blue rifles were becoming pretty standard...Joy of the Hunt/Race were good too.
    Beast weapon combined with some parts that drop from endgame instances which creates the Angst of Xan is the best weapon at the moment (in general). As for armor, a mix of ofab and combined alien armor.

2. How are we in pvp? When I left perks were making certain classes amazing. Won't get into it too much, but if you had any healing capabilities to go along dmg...you were a bit ahead of the curve. Agents were kind of built to gank and run. I'm sure we're the same way, but Atrox was the flavor at the time bc of the racials or whatever the equivalent is in this game.
    Agents are still pretty good, with more than the option of mimic doc to work with now. There are still a couple of things that mess them up badly like stuns and Remedy Inhibitor but all in all they're not the worst off.

3. How are we in Pve? When I left, you could los(sometimes) and Aimed Shot while in combat, or unstealthed. We using any special type of ammo for dps?
    You can rehide in pve and get ASes off if you get the hang of the skill. There are changes coming soon to have another AS based ability being usable in combat.

4. What is our role in raids or teams? From launch to....well, whenever...we were elected the pullers, but realistically.....we just pewpew'd. Have we been given any specific team roles? Have any new, class defining, abilities been implemented in over the past 5-6 years? I know...loaded question, clif notes appreciated.
    Agents can heal at lower levels if they're properly geared, mainly they're for DPS and sometimes calming if there really isn't a calming prof present. The new thing at endgame: true profession means agents are pretty good at providing missing buffs in a team/raid as they are able to mimic TWO professions (though not at once)

Anyways, hello again and hope to hear some helpful things. Maybe I'll see some of you ingame. I should still be in Azure w/ some badass cape....that helm that you could level up and a pimp ass luxury Yalm. Neophyte or Experienced title...can't remember.

As with each new expansion, the newest set of items to grind becomes the new standard. It's pretty common to see agents run around with either Full Combined Sharpshooters or Combined Commado's, full Xan Alpha symbiants (give or take on some slots such as brain or left arm, depending on your setup or preferance) Albatrum util/huds (a instance in inferno) DB and Masterpiece bracers, 2.5k board (if sided) and so on. Angst of the Xan is the name of our newest rifle. Crit mod still sucks.

I think torax over estimates us when he says we are in the Top 5. With 12 (13?) professions total, i'd say top 7-8. We aren't bad necessarily, but there's alot of OP things in pvp right now, and of course it depends on level range. I'd agree top 5 if you meant overall between levels 1-220, as agents are pretty top tier until post TL5. That's where things go down hill.

PvE is lackluster. Pretty pathetic damage, medium of the road solo'ability, and anything you solo takes ages to kill. The only things that make it fun is filling in for a tank or primary doc in some raids. I remember tanking APF 28 on my agent, that was a blast. Those bugs were there last patch, but it may not be this time around, dunno exactly. They screwed with concealment/percep and sync this patch.

Usually our role is UBT. Sometimes the unofficial backup healer (i always use Alpha and Omega at well timed intervals to keep the team alive when the doc has trouble). Occasionally you get to do something fun, like backup tank.

The agent profession is fun, but we don't really have anything intensely redeeming about ourselves lately. Any PvP ability in Tl7 is totally on the player. Because of the rough spot we are in, everything about us in duels or other performance in PvP is entirely skill (and sometimes luck) dependent. The profession is weak and very easily debuffed to all hell or simply ignored. Aimedshot hurts but nobody dies to just AS anymore.
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

I wouldn't worry about the cobra tbh, kyr3 has a nice AR proc and xan is better in every aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    I think torax over estimates us when he says we are in the Top 5. With 12 (13?) professions total, i'd say top 7-8. We aren't bad necessarily, but there's alot of OP things in pvp right now, and of course it depends on level range. I'd agree top 5 if you meant overall between levels 1-220, as agents are pretty top tier until post TL5. That's where things go down hill.
    Who can reliably kill us at 220? MAs and 1he+1hb enfos. I don't think it makes us the gimpest prof in game. Some others are hard to kill (engies,docs ..) but you can avoid them .

PvE is lackluster. Pretty pathetic damage, medium of the road solo'ability, and anything you solo takes ages to kill. The only things that make it fun is filling in for a tank or primary doc in some raids. I remember tanking APF 28 on my agent, that was a blast. Those bugs were there last patch, but it may not be this time around, dunno exactly. They screwed with concealment/percep and sync this patch.
    You soloed TNH yourself and you think that our soloability is medium of the road?
    Our solo DD sucks of course, but the number of things we can solo is way above average.

The agent profession is fun, but we don't really have anything intensely redeeming about ourselves lately. Any PvP ability in Tl7 is totally on the player. Because of the rough spot we are in, everything about us in duels or other performance in PvP is entirely skill (and sometimes luck) dependent. The profession is weak and very easily debuffed to all hell or simply ignored. Aimedshot hurts but nobody dies to just AS anymore.
    Yeah it's fun, and it's everything that matters.
    Last edited by Szyylin; May 11th, 2010 at 03:44:59.
    Zenevan2 - 220/30/70 agent

Thanks for the respones, Xootch and Torakx. I am level 208, w/ 10 alien levels and on RK1. I'm looking forward to getting into game, but the Full Client I dl'd isn't working. Very disappointed atm.
    wb again - There's more debuffs now that will ruin your day. The rules will probably change by the time you hit 220 and gear up, though.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

not opening own thread on this... but im around for 30 free days for now

so pewpew

Phat-Pheddy is around to watch you guys
    Pheddex 220/30/70 trox agent equip

Pheddy 220/30/70 soli crat equip

Pheddette 164/19/42 opi trader equip

Lavidaloco 150/17/30 opi agent equip

Tinytall 200/25/70 opi advy equip

What's up guys/gals, Iconwilliams here. Started at launch back in 01 and played until early 2005.(left for WoW's midnight launch and phased AO out shortly after) Decided to reactivate and realized...it's been over 5 years since I've played this game. DL'ing the client atm and might even log in soon.

What I want to know is, how are Agents now-a-days?

Not long after I left it was all about +off or +def in your clusters(I'll be impressed if anyone actually remembers that...ending up being +off in the end, though I used def and a Cat and found huge success) and people were killing The Beast. I was a Legion member and was extremely active in the agent community. Mattie and Morphex were the Agent professionals at the time. Agentsector.com had pretty much died out, but that was also a fun spot the first 2-3 years of AO for agents.

Holy cow iconwilliams i remember you!!!

How you been? I just started back up too... You remember me? :]

Anywho... I play Clan now... clan pretty much dominates lol.

Hit me up on one of my toons sometime

Oswarnal
    Stomper2006
    Hornykrat
    I r Epicine.