Thread: [ALL] IRRK: ICC Unveils New Look with New Technology

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

[ALL] IRRK: ICC Unveils New Look with New Technology

ICC Unveils New Look with New Technology
    May 19, 29484 - [Global]

IRRK - In an unannounced move by the ICC early last week, Peacekeeper troops across Rubi-Ka were suddenly given a fresh look and appearance, updating their older armor (originally based on the popular 'Tech Armor' variant) with a new, sleek appearance and design. This update was made without any prior notice or press release, making for quite the surprise for returning visitors to the ICC complex in Andromeda.

Shortly after the uniform change-over was put into place the Oceania ICC facility, located on Earth, issued a brief press release detailing the change in appearance and speaking briefly regarding the technical considerations of the new armor sets.

Two separate pieces of technology make up the combined whole of the new armor set, with bulky plating replaced by a super-thin composite metaplast lattice. The armor features a micro-honeycombed structure of interwoven plating across sensitive areas such as the chest, each individual plate at only 50 µm2 - Half the width of a human hair. Underneath the plating areas are a semi-solid 'sheath' comprised of condensed tungsten disulfide nanotubes, interlaced with reactive Molybdenum weaving to ensure a comfortable, flexible, yet protective covering across the entirety of the body. The helmet features reaction sensors wired throughout the rest of the suit, linked to shear-thickening cushioning systems which reduce inertial pressure in case of a sudden blow; the helmet's visor is made of a translucent metaplast/titanium hybrid interwoven with datawafers for a completely modifiable internal digital display.

In a holo-conference with chief ICC technical designer Helen McCreary, she had the following to say regarding the new look.

"Traditionally, we've always looked for low-cost solutions when it comes to outfitting our various planetary troops - Not to say we cut corners in terms of safety, mind you, but that as an inter-stellar organization we have to keep our bottom line in mind. One of the main joys of our new design is that while there's a bit steeper initial cost in producing the armor set, we save money on repair costs due to the ablative nature of the armor - Rather than having to do massive repair work on individual pieces, the honeycombed structure keeps damage at a small, localized level, letting the armor repair be as simple as infusing it with new metaplast tiles. In terms of Rubi-Ka this becomes even easier, as nanite fabrication units can create new tiles on the fly, repairing the armor even in the heat of battle."

We later spoke with on-planet ICC Commander Gerald Constad, and asked him to share his views of the new armor.

"All in all it's a great change - More comfortable, more protective; hell, even Coursey seems to like it, and that's saying something. The design has been specifically tweaked and altered to ensure safety for ICC troops here on Rubi-Ka, in case of needed movement or potential fire-fights. Though we obviously hope to avoid any such confrontations in the near future, protecting our ground troops in case of a scuffle between our forces and the various leaderships of Rubi-Ka is a top priority for the ICC, particularly given the current political climate and... other ongoing situations. Should we wish to increase our presence on Rubi-Ka at any time, this armor will help to ensure visibility and recognition among the general populace."

When asked to clarify this statement, Peacekeeper Commander Constad declined further commentary.

Though somewhat disorienting at first, Rubi-Kan citizens from all sides have taken to the new look for the Peacekeepers, offering nothing but praise for the new look and design. The enigmatic fashion designer and commentator Miiir gave the new armor set an impromptu "eleven out of ten" rating at a recent late-night Plumbo-sponsored charity event, while weapon-smith Tsunayoshi Smith praised the addition of the shoulder pad, stating that the additional armor plating added both a stylistic touch and enhanced functionality to the suit.

So far attempts to reach Omni-Tek leadership have failed, and no comment from the corporate giant has been made at this time. Though Clan leadership has made no official public response, Alan Jacobi has been quoted as saying that the new armor had "definite aesthetic appeal" and that he would "[potentially] look into the design for inspiration".

ICC officials have stated that dispersal of the new uniforms is slowly spreading across their established bases galaxy-wide, with a finalized deployment date of August 2nd, 29484.

Looks nice, good to see the brave boys (and girls) at ICC getting some decent gear at last.

((Incidentially, loved the armor composition description, maybe story team should be allowed to write the descriptions for some player weapons/armor too))
    Last edited by Neista; May 19th, 2010 at 15:46:28.
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Good to know they have upgraded their gear, so theyre better protected. It does look good.

Yes, the new armor is distinct enough to insure ICC personnel are not ever mistaken for any other forces on the planet and should hopefully reduce incidents of mistaken fire.

(( 'finalized deployment date of August 2nd, 29484'.....hmmm... ))

Quote Originally Posted by Editor: IRRK View Post
    Though we obviously hope to avoid any such confrontations in the near future, protecting our ground troops in case of a scuffle between our forces and the various leaderships of Rubi-Ka is a top priority for the ICC, particularly given the current political climate and... other ongoing situations. Should we wish to increase our presence on Rubi-Ka at any time, this armor will help to ensure visibility and recognition among the general populace.
    Riiiiiiight... Why does my foss* tickle, all of of a sudden?...

(Female Opifex Sixth Sense)

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    ((Incidentially, loved the armor composition description, maybe story team should be allowed to write the descriptions for some player weapons/armor too))
    (( Or let them write the descriptions on most everything else. You gotta love the masterful hard work that went into putting flavor text onto the Nano Targeting Helper:

Description:
    Every nuker's dream. Nano Targeting Helper increases the damage done by nukes.

Huh... apparently it did change at one time; used to be mispelled and had a weird missing space in it. But it's still bland as oatmeal, so not much of a victory there... ))
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Funcom employee

(( I'm glad you guys liked my description of the armour, but please keep OOC chatter in the Fourth Wall forum instead of here. =) ))
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

I'd like to congratulate the ICC for their new armors, and ofab guns too, no less! That'll give the Dust Bunnies a run for their money.

But wow, shocking news ! The ICC is after more visibilité and presence on Rubi Ka. I can only applause with both hands this new turn of events, that's genius.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

New armor, OFAB weapons... it seems for the best that the ICC... shall we say, relieve, the Unicorns of their posts dominating the struggle beyond Rubi-Ka's borders.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

It's about time these boys and girls got some decent equipment. One thing I've seen, spending as long as I have in the private sector, we were always better equipped than any so-called regulatory body's people in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Felkios Stern View Post
    It's about time these boys and girls got some decent equipment. One thing I've seen, spending as long as I have in the private sector, we were always better equipped than any so-called regulatory body's people in the field.
    Hey there, ya old war dog.. hows livin'? Ain't seen you in a spell.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...