Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: remove fears

Haven't played much since fear etc were added to the game, but kinda liked them... even though I was only on the receiving end.

I totally favor such tools instead of the usual statics O or D buffs, or simply more dmg.
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

creating more situations where someone has no chance to defend themselves, or do anything besides go make a sandwich and wait for death, is good thing for you? how can that be fun?
    AO: ▐ Renamed 220/30 adv▐ Giit 200/30 NT game over setup▐ Somethiing 199/21 Confused Sold▐ Sixunder 158/21 tard ▐ Eightup 150/20 flex▐ Giitjiit 57/6 NT▐
    FFXIV: Giit Paradisian - 50 CNJ/White Mage - Hyperion server

As long as I am running (even if not in control), the dmg I take is either survivable, or I should have popped a defense in time.

As far as I'm concerned, the time per round I am not in control is directly linked to the amount of times I get gthed. Couple secs of fears, stuns, etc are negligible. Haven't tried since gth was changed though.

Also need to look at what professions got it (now, if my memory isn't lying to me):
    - enfo: either I have debuffed/popped defenses and will survive the fear, or I didn't and would be dead anyway.
    - mas: surely doesn't make the fight uneven
    - crats: low alpha and dps make a lil fear totally supportable.

Ofc, fears can be a pain when multiple toons are after you, but nearly all ao tools are a pain in such situations. The people we root aren't ecstatic about it either ^^.

Haven't played for a loooooong while, and only did a couple days of bs since the fears arrived, so may be wrong (hope I got the list right haha)... but felt they were totally balanced, at least against my profession. I may be wrong, but wanted to explain my position ^^.
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

it has nothing to do with what the prof that feared you can do to you you miss the point. don't act like it's a 1v1 thing, it's much more destructive when you're feared and others are on you as well.
    AO: ▐ Renamed 220/30 adv▐ Giit 200/30 NT game over setup▐ Somethiing 199/21 Confused Sold▐ Sixunder 158/21 tard ▐ Eightup 150/20 flex▐ Giitjiit 57/6 NT▐

^^ Fears aren't OPed because they are destructive to people when faced with superior numbers. That can be said for every single debuff/hostile nano/perk, etc... you encounter in PVP.

That being said, I think fears are close to stuns for OPed-ness. The only slight advantage stuns have over fears is that melee profs have to chase a feared opponent more. Still I think fears are a cool and interesting feature and I believe that FC will give the right balance to them for duration and cooldown. Most notably, if you think of how fears are used in mass PVP setting, you can quickly convince yourself that they actually become less effective because they are a single target tool.
    Last edited by Obtena; May 25th, 2010 at 21:02:14.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    ^^ Fears aren't OPed because they are destructive to people when faced with superior numbers. That can be said for every single debuff/hostile nano/perk, etc... you encounter in PVP.

That being said, I think fears are close to stuns for OPed-ness. The only slight advantage stuns have over fears is that melee profs have to chase a feared opponent more. ...
    umm no. you are way off, and not even in the right city OO! you can kill a stun with an FM, and have some chance, every other hostile/debuff/etc...you can still use a stim, haul ass away, do something...fears take YOU out of the game completely; you no longer have options, period, just wait and bleed.

Well, a single stun isn't what kills people (unless you got lucky or are killing greens), it's multiple chained ones, so sure, you cancel that one. You either wasted a FS and locked your skill or you are getting ready to get 2-3 more stuns and die.

Fears are most effectively used as 1 vs. 1 tools and I think that's the kind of PVP game FC wants people to avoid, so it makes sense to put 1 vs. 1 encounter deterents in the game to them. SO while you people cry about how OP fears are, the solution is already available to you to mitigate them ... teaming, or at the very least, following a group of people. Being a Rambo will no longer be an option in AO as I see it.
    Last edited by Obtena; May 25th, 2010 at 22:12:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Frubaliscious View Post
    umm no. you are way off, and not even in the right city OO! you can kill a stun with an FM, and have some chance, every other hostile/debuff/etc...you can still use a stim, haul ass away, do something...fears take YOU out of the game completely; you no longer have options, period, just wait and bleed.
    will you stop saying wrong things please ?

fears break on damage, nano and debufff 100%...

fear is a way to defend yourself, not to kill...

the "killing factor" is the snare at the end for MA and Enfo one, and I dont think that something far from spamable btw (another wrong thing you said sooner) that allows melee to catch up is so "OPed"... It's not worse than a root graft
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

no sh*t dumb***, it's the combination of fear+snare that's destructive, do I rly need to say Fear+snare every time? and the funny thing about Fears breaking on dmg...just means you get it all at once, since it doesn't break when they start to perk, but after the perks finish and all your specials have landed. elapsed time, 1 second, and nobody can exactly prepare to defend against that kind of attack, .esp from multiple attackers....dumb***...let's just say the snare is icing on the cake, overkill even. remove the snare and maybe it's a bit more balanced.

and just FYI dumb***, I never said anything about any of them being spammable.

maybe you should go play a little before screwin with me here ><
    Last edited by Frubaliscious; May 25th, 2010 at 23:52:10. Reason: I forgot children play here, edited appropriately :p

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    will you stop saying wrong things please ?

fears break on damage, nano and debufff 100%...

fear is a way to defend yourself, not to kill...

the "killing factor" is the snare at the end for MA and Enfo one, and I dont think that something far from spamable btw (another wrong thing you said sooner) that allows melee to catch up is so "OPed"... It's not worse than a root graft
    I use it on my tl5 enfo main to splat doctors in bs... or in a situation where i needa buy myself a few seconds of healing/escape time.

Unless they changed it, fear isnt breakable even while being hit
    Shadwstalker - In before agents are cool again! http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=171841
    Imsoparanoid - gimpeh http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=128791
    Shadwenf - gimpeh http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=133295

From Auno it should do it at least.
    Chance of break on attack 100
    Chance of break on debuff 100
    Chance of break on nano 100
    Angevil, proud 220 MA from Rimor.
    Flourishing anew. About twelve GUI/Perk/Armor setups done so far, hopefully that one will outlast the criticism of my perfectionism!

Ars Magna. Histories became artifacts, images of poor effect, memories filled with acts and neglect
    As a vulture of cultures I indeed feed my seeds with much greed, soaked in pleasure I succeed

Mmh i can't say i noticed fear breaking on dmg even once ... I really feel like i have been taken down while feared quite a few times by enfos, did anyone tested this in game ?

remove them fc. -,-

Quote Originally Posted by Soliartist View Post
    From Auno it should do it at least.
    Chance of break on attack 100
    Chance of break on debuff 100
    Chance of break on nano 100
    might be for some only, i know that my enfos fear isnt broken on hit.

Post auno link where you got those modifiers
    Shadwstalker - In before agents are cool again! http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=171841

No fear is broken on hit. I pvped enough vs crats, mas, and ends to know that. The snare part might break on hit. But usually when someone uses it on my agent I don't last Long enough to see it. And on enf you can rage out of snare
    Deathmaster1 220/30/70 Dmsengi 220/28/70
    Dmstanker 220/30/70 Dmsdoc 220/25/70
    Anarchic1 126/15/35 Dmsfix 220/30/70
    Imakeyouoe 164/22/42 Imakeyouoe2 85/9/21

BM of Dark Front - We are recruiting. darkfront.org

I can't remember a single instance where it's broken on hit for me, but I thought that was just my bad luck, and attributed it to lag or great timing with a huge amount of dmg coming from my enemies, usually enough to send me to reclaim oO since it clearly shows that it's supposed to. obviously NOT working as intended then.

I'm pretty sure the enfo fear doesn't break on anything.

Good to know the class with 8 damage perks, highest HP/NR/RS, Sneak Attack, absorbs, and minor heals get the longest fear that doesn't break.

Fair and balanced TL7 PVP!
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

I think traders should get them.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    Good to know the class with 8 damage perks, highest HP/NR/RS, Sneak Attack, absorbs, and minor heals get the longest fear that doesn't break.

Fair and balanced TL7 PVP!
    actually crat's fear is 7 seconds long, AOE to 15m, dosnt break and can be used once every 35 secs where as enforces is single, 5 secs, usable once every 3 mins.

but i can understand your hate being a trader

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast