Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to Balance Ranged vs Melee

Quote Originally Posted by EIS View Post
    Try hit me with full-auto from 20m distance in real life...wondering how many bullets you will land.
    Try AS me while running (or just stop for 1second and AS) in real life.

Then we can talk what is retarted.

PS: i have 220 soldier and many times posted something about soldiers....so do not try insult me with "QQ"
    Lets clear it up a bit.

I said you cannot hit 27bullet FA from 20M. You will miss with many bullets. Your reaction was i will be dead if assalt rifle will hit me. I said i will have armor. You said i cannot have it legally. I said you cannot have ass.rifle legally.

Thank for your opinions.
    here i have 2 of your posts. in the first post, you make no mention of 27 bullets. in the second post, you say "I said you cannot hit 27bullet FA from 20M!"

either you are a really bad liar trying to skew things in some bizarre way to make yourself look better, or you have the attention span and memory of a goldfish, i havent decided yet.

you are not clearing anything up. what you *are* doing is digging your hole deeper.

and i have many more opinions, just waiting to be shared with you! all you need to do is herp-a-derp some more
    ~Techmagos -220/30/70 Engi
    ~Aasimi -220/21/xx Agent
    ~Nyrlathotek9 -174/14/xx Sold

rk1>rk2™

WHOA WHOA WHOA, slow down Techmagos

Quote Originally Posted by Techmagos View Post
    you have the attention span and memory of a goldfish
    That goldfish thing is a common misconception and the memory of a goldfish is just fine! you can even train them to go through little mazes.

Appologise!

Please stop spreading flames!
    Shadwstalker - In before agents are cool again! http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=171841
    Imsoparanoid - gimpeh http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=128791
    Shadwenf - gimpeh http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=133295

Quote Originally Posted by Parranoid1 View Post
    WHOA WHOA WHOA, slow down Techmagos

That goldfish thing is a common misconception and the memory of a goldfish is just fine! you can even train them to go through little mazes.

Appologise!

Please stop spreading flames!
    crap im sorry. to all the unoffensive and peaceful goldfish with memories aplenty, i truly apologize!
    ~Aasimi -220/21/xx Agent

rk1>rk2™

crap im sorry. to all the unoffensive and peaceful goldfish with memories aplenty, i truly apologize!
    Thanky you, ill go tell mr. bubbles that you apologized
    Shadwstalker - In before agents are cool again! http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=171841

here i have 2 of your posts. in the first post, you make no mention of 27 bullets. in the second post, you say "I said you cannot hit 27bullet FA from 20M!"
    Oh yeah...sry. I forgot i have to explain you everything. So usually players(in this game) with FA has about 2200 (better one can get to 2400 i think) in FA skill. Which means they can land 27 bullets (5+2200/100) or the better one can hit with 29 bullets. So we can talk about fixers,soldiers...they have 50 bullets clip based weapons so can fire up that bunch of bullets.

So i'm trying to compare full-auto in anarchy online with full-auto in real world. Lets ignore my post about 27 bullets (i was too specific about AO and in real life weps has different clips ..even SMG).

Lets assume all weps in real life and AO has 20bullet clips and we are trying firing full-auto. In real-life you will not hit target from 20m with many bullets. And it should be also in AO in my opinion.
    -o--oOo--o--
    Yama*007
    -o--oOo--o--

Quote Originally Posted by EIS
    Lets assume all weps in real life and AO has 20bullet clips and we are trying firing full-auto. In real-life you will not hit target from 20m with many bullets. And it should be also in AO in my opinion.
    In real life one bullet can kill you. Should this also be in AO?

Quote Originally Posted by drops View Post
    In real life one bullet can kill you. Should this also be in AO?
    Well...if target is running without any kind of armor.....it is upto consideration.
    -o--oOo--o--
    Yama*007
    -o--oOo--o--

Well...if target is running without any kind of armor.....it is upto consideration.
    In real life you can get killed by 1 bullet even if your decked out in armor.

AS can has 1 hit kill please?

Yeah i admit that. In very specific situation.

Usually in 80% you need more bullets to kill armored person. Same like 80% you will miss a lot with FA on long range.

EDIT: about AS. In real life you are not able to AS perfectly (1 kill shot on armored target) without any preparation. For that you need time (few seconds to aim perfectly etc) and during that time you are open for interrupt (any hit on you will interrupt you in aiming AS).
    Last edited by EIS; May 24th, 2010 at 12:06:00.
    -o--oOo--o--
    Yama*007
    -o--oOo--o--

Usually in 80% you need more bullets to kill armored person. Same like 80% you will miss a lot with FA on long range.
    sounds good, give all people with aimed shot a 1 in 5 chance at an instakill, in fact, not just AS people, we are talking bullets so anyone with a gun should have a 20% chance to 1 hit kill anyone. Soldiers shoot lots of bullets so 50 x tries at 1 out of 5. This is good!

See where bringing real world stuff into a game takes the conversation?
    Last edited by Parranoid1; May 24th, 2010 at 12:05:53.

Oh yeah...sry. I forgot i have to explain you everything.
    yeah, because i consider you to be a good source of facts

Lets ignore my post....
    now this is the first good idea you have had yet! really, why stop with just the one? im pretty sure i can ignore them all without any problems.
    ~Aasimi -220/21/xx Agent

rk1>rk2™

EDIT: about AS. In real life you are not able to AS perfectly (1 kill shot on armored target) without any preparation. For that you need time (few seconds to aim perfectly etc) and during that time you are open for interrupt (any hit on you will interrupt you in aiming AS).
    In RL, I can kill armored melee with AS, from 1 km distance, with AP round.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    qft

and a bit more seriously, wtb the abitlity to shoot while moving on ranged toons in ao, with a reduction of AR while in movement ofc

and more on the subject: meele profs already have something to compensate over the lack of range, its called higher dmg and defense
    The most obvious MB on Rubi-Ka
    Insane666 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Soldier Insanity669 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage Doc Insanity699 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage MP
    Insanity696 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Bureaucrat Insane669 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Fixer Insanity666 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage NT

Insane699 ( 164/22 ) Solitus Trader Insane969 ( 150/20 ) S10 Trox Smurf

Omni-Tek
    Hells Hero for a decade, now a Punk
    spreading insanity all over rk, since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    And i'm saying something else ? I said you cannot do that without preparation. I want see you aiming target at 1km in lets say 3seconds and still when somebody is hitting you (shot or melee hit) it will not interrupt you in aiming.
    -o--oOo--o--
    Yama*007
    -o--oOo--o--

And i'm saying something else ? I said you cannot do that without preparation. I want see you aiming target at 1km in lets say 3seconds and still when somebody is hitting you (shot or melee hit) it will not interrupt you in aiming.
    That's what I'm saying. Mechanics are not right in this game, I should be able to take out you melee guys from 1 km away. When I get that opportunity, then we can talk about interruption and stuff.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

The idea has potential. It does need adjustments though. How about this:

For melees:

As things currently stand, for AR and crit.

For ranged:

0-5m range: 200% effective AR on regulars, specials and perks, 50% critical increase. Should be easy to hit someone who's that close, right?

5-10m range: As things currently stand.

11m+ range: 2% drop in AR and 0,5% drop in crit per meter. This is affected by range increase, so with 100% range it starts at 22m and tails off at 50% the rate. Range is uncapped, of course.

This should be reasonable since melees can hit while moving, typically have bigger damage weapons, don't need to reload and have special items like Flurry.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    Care to try to argue this?
    Real world comparisons have no place here. If you're going to use that line of logic, full autos should do more than 30% of a targets HP and absolutely shred people in melee range. Also, the comparison fails because bullets in modern warfare are very often not aimed at individuals, regardless of whether or not they are moving. Most bullets are shot in the general direction of where people are taking cover, in an effort to keep them in one place and inhibit they're ability to fire at you.

In AO, both ranged and melee classes do a beserk charge until in weapons range, there is no cover, and crowd control is achieved by roots, snares and fears instead of threat of violence.

If we keep up this conversation, the only person who will be "trying" to argue is you.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Very good idea, but with a bit less AR decrease and so on it'd even better I think.
    Angevil, proud 220 MA from Rimor.
    Flourishing anew. About twelve GUI/Perk/Armor setups done so far, hopefully that one will outlast the criticism of my perfectionism!

Ars Magna. Histories became artifacts, images of poor effect, memories filled with acts and neglect
    As a vulture of cultures I indeed feed my seeds with much greed, soaked in pleasure I succeed

Quote Originally Posted by Parranoid1 View Post
    In real life you can get killed by 1 bullet even if your decked out in armor.

AS can has 1 hit kill please?
    My sword can easily kill you in one hit. Can I haz 1 hit kills please?

More to the point, FA and AS are way OP'd. nerf em.

Berinda: "Real world comparisons have no place here. If you're going to use that line of logic, full autos should do more than 30% of a targets HP and absolutely shred people in melee range. Also, the comparison fails because bullets in modern warfare are very often not aimed at individuals, regardless of whether or not they are moving. Most bullets are shot in the general direction of where people are taking cover, in an effort to keep them in one place and inhibit they're ability to fire at you.

In AO, both ranged and melee classes do a beserk charge until in weapons range, there is no cover, and crowd control is achieved by roots, snares and fears instead of threat of violence.

If we keep up this conversation, the only person who will be "trying" to argue is you."

We have as good armour, if not better than your weapons. There are bulletproof vests out there NOW. In 10 years time there will be nanotube-titanium kevlar reinforced weaves with stopping power far greater than what there is now.

MY armour gives me 30 to EVERY weapon and special skill. I'm 100% sure it's vastly more advanced than your "box of bullets"

I agree that a well landed FA could be damaging to someone's health. But, with good armour, it may not do as much damage as you'd like. And, if the person is moving quickly, the closer he is, the faster you have to move your gun to keep up with the moving target, the faster you move your gun the more inaccurate the following shot. In otherwords, your FA could easily become an outdated special if you want to keep arguing.

Now, here is a different proposition:

MOVING TARGET VS STATIC TARGET:

ALL moving targets recieve +10% to evades to avoid ANY attack, melee or ranged.
    ALL static targets recieve -10% to all evades in the chance to hit.
    All attacks made while moving (in the case of melee) recieve -10% to attack rating.

Combine The efects of range and moving targets, and we will be a LOT closer to solving the ranged vs melee problem.
    Last edited by McKnuckleSamwich; May 25th, 2010 at 00:29:21.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    ALL moving targets recieve +10% to evades to avoid ANY attack, melee or ranged.
    ALL static targets recieve -10% to all evades in the chance to hit.
    All attacks made while moving (in the case of melee) recieve -10% to attack rating.

Combine The efects of range and moving targets, and we will be a LOT closer to solving the ranged vs melee problem.
    Thereby making lowbie shield MPs nearly immortal.

Try again.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast