Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Legacy and LTC popularity

I'm thinking standardizing somethings might be a good idea. And now maybe with this new section on the forums, it might be easier. Maybe players can get a little more hands on with the base mechanics of the universe rules.
    Look I'm pretty sure a lot of the issues are from the change of hands over the years.
    But I sometimes look at it this way. If FC was the DM for a table top game, he'd been duct taped to his chair and beaten with a bottle of Dew a long time ago.

Kintaii I've told you before and I'll tell you again, I do not envy your job.
    But nothing but love for ya man, really I mean that.
    I don't PvP becasue my rlpeen is big enough so I don't need to make up for it with my epeen.

"Ahhhhh that was a good dinner. Now it's time to hit the playground and watch the little girls."

Funcom employee

All further derail on the topic goes here: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=575823 -- Let's try and keep this thread on topic as best we can.

Edit: Now with proper URL!
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Yep back on topic please, the answers to these questions will have an effect on things to come, even if you might not realize it.

Wow Kintaii you must have had to dig deep to find that one, hope you had gloves on.

Okay back on topic... Speaking of favorite LTCs. Whatever happened to Icecracker? He was a fun LTC. Lots of good times with him.
    I don't PvP becasue my rlpeen is big enough so I don't need to make up for it with my epeen.

"Ahhhhh that was a good dinner. Now it's time to hit the playground and watch the little girls."

Quote Originally Posted by Lasliana View Post
    Just call them all Long Term storyline Characters and be done with it.
    What she said

Silverwing's Laws #46:
    "The fact that I am Neutral means I'm not on your side." (Saleem ibn-Alefan)

Ok so back on track...
    My experienes with LTCs has been limited recently so keep that in mind.

Clan: Silverstone, even when he so blatently changes hands he's he's been a nice breath of aggressive fresh air.

Omni: Preston. Some of my first interactions with LTCs always had her at the bottom of it. Love to hate her.

My least favorites are the ones that havnt been seen in years.... you know who you are.

As for LTCs due to my normal play times I rarly see any. However I did have fun with a clan mp and trader, and fishman in the cup a month ago.
    Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Pheats View Post
    Who is your favourite Omni-Tek Legacy Character and why?
    These would be the Directors that appear at the OAM such as Ivan Sergeyich, Tarkhan Zora, Max, Rita etc
    I am going to point out one MAJOR legacy that I think could be the worst one to face as a clanner, and despite any lack of interaction between myself and this person... am going to say: Lani Wannja. Reason? For someone who monitors the hell out of the grid and every known major source of media, I'd be hard pressed to find someone else who would know less about communications across RK than this person. Information is power. I daresay, this legacy is probably far more behind the scenes (or could be!) than any other I can think of. People with that much access to information make people like me paranoid to an extreme degree.

Who is your favourite Clan Legacy Leader and why?
    These are the Clan leaders such as Simon Silverstone and Alan Jacobi

I am equally torn by some of the Clan side legacies. I like them, but I dont like them at the same time. All, for mostly different reasons, but the one thing similarly I can say about all of them is that they seem rather two dimensional. I like Alan because he is a go getter, and the guy who makes things happen. Power and influence go hand in hand, and hes not the kinda guy who openly shows it. I like Simon for being a hardass, but part of me also hates his character because he fight against opression, but opresses just as extremely on other people.. Simon is the biggest hypocrite ever. I like the ideals sported by Tristram, and the short while I had interacted with him, he was a great influence upon my main toon in general. However, I didn't get nearly as much "knight in shining armour" from him either.

Essentially, I found that they seemed a bit flat. I mean these are clan HEROES! They need to shake the world up by the balls and have an impact larger than life. I sadly, didn't feel as much inspiration as i could have.

I do like, in a very political sense, Aideen Landau. I read his description as the best face of what arguably could be considered 'a society of a workforce, dedicated to itself'. But every interaction with him that I had been privy to, he was mostly a wet towel of sorts. I see a massive amount of potential with these roles, and other than Jacobi, I don't see that potential being reached. I understand as a roleplayer, that roleplaying a character of your own choosing, and one that isnt... can have varying results. Unless you are into the craft of acting, then assuming the role of any one long term personality, can be a bit of a dampener. After all; simple choice being, could I play an epic character of my own design over one that I am sure I even like? Given this situation, I can see far more people choosing to play one of their own instead. And, on top of ARK being a volunteer service.. you are not actually required to really 'get' into that character other than once or twice a month at best.

Who is your favourite LTC and why?
    These are the average joes that you can find wandering around like Fishman, Turms, Penelope etc.

I am a gargantuan fan of Tinkerbots. She was the darling little sweet thing that was the warm center of RP for a very long time. A close second was Joe Hadrensen, who always seemed to draw the lot of us out to come to newland and have a seat at 'the table' as we say. They were the wondertwins of roleplaying glue that kept the lot of us social.

Who is your least favourite Omni-Tek Legacy and why?
    Honestly I have like zero interaction with any of them. When Zawar logs in, It makes me wanna go on a manhunt with bubba, but other than that.. no dialogue whatsoever.

Who is your least favourite Clan Legacy and why?
    As I mentioned, I like and dislike a large portion of the clan legacies. One in particular I am going to say I like the least is probably going to be a bit controversial, and thats Henry Radiman. A man so passionate as he is presented to drawing such a wildcard society as the Clans, only to totally disappear into nothing... is not a likable LTC. Despite inactivity, this LTC could be the largest draw out of all the clans, but is completely lost and whatever the reason is to keep him out of sight... its NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I see so much potential for greatness here (moreso than any other LTC imaginable) and its a horrible letdown to know that for whatever reason, he just cant come out and play. Total bummer.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Here, lemme take a crack at this one!

Favorite Omni-Tek Legacy Character
    - That would have to be MAX. He's such a cold, calculating character...and yet is somehow polite, and even easy to talk to...but still, he's a very unsettling reminder of what Omni-Tek is all about. The fact that I was able to talk to him, as a person and not as an enemy of some sort, shows a strange dimension to him that I wasn't at all expecting. Plus, it was amazing fun to call him a Grape, and watch the ensuing confusion!

The other one that I'd have to say is one of my favorites, even though she hasn't even been out in the wild for a loooooooooooooooooong time...is Rita Prestin. She's got such a bitchy flair to her, that people listen and do what she says, WHEN she says...or else. Not to mention, she is the figurehead of everything about Omni-Tek that Nulion hates. Every bit of rage or anger that Nulion has against Omni-Tek is more or less directed at her...and yet she's nowhere to be found! She's the missing piece! More Prestin pleeeease?

Favorite Clan Legacy Character
    - This is a toss-up between Jacobi and Silverstone. Both of them are great to talk to and interact with, both have very distinct and fun personalities, and both seem willing to go out and interact with the commoners a little more than the average Legacy does. I just wish I saw a little more of them!

Favorite LTC
    - ...This is a hard one. I've got several favorites, like Fishmen, Hadrensen, Tinkerbots, Cuggles, Zawar, Maugerry....The list goes on and on. See, the way I look at my favorite LTC's is that they have all been able to touch my character's life in one way or another. They all left huge marks on my character's story, which to be frank I have no plans for, and never did to begin with. Things just happen, people interact with Nulion, and stuff happens. Soooo...because of this, I'd have to say one of my favorite characters that I've ever messed around with would be....*drum roll*....

Korbensen.

You can imagine I was extremely happy to see him posting over in Rimor Buzz! It's really hard to put a name to my favorite character, but daaamn if Korbensen didn't really *STRIKE* me as representing something truly malevolent and frightening. Felt like he could snap his fingers and Nuli would be dead, locked up, or worse. I *REALLY* enjoy the toying around Korby did with Nuli back in the day...It alone reinvigorated the game for me, and gave me this paranoid "I just KNOW he's watching me...I just KNOW it..." feeling, every time I saw his name pop up online.

But ya know what? I love every one of the characters I interact with, and I don't get enough of a chance to *THANK YOU* for the fun you've all pumped into the game. I love it!

Least Favorite Omni-Tek Legacy
    - You know, there's a lot of OT LTC's that I've never even *seen*. I really don't even know how to answer this question. The leaders of R&D, Trans, Engineering, Mining, and Omni-Com are...well, I have no idea who they are. I went looking for awhile before writing this, but I can't even find their names. These guys are practically nonexistant, it seems Maaaybe flesh 'em out, give them some more character...but Rita Prestin first, please!

Least Favorite Clan Legacy
    - Hmm...least favorite here would probably be....well, you know, I'll have to agree with Bubbacrush on this one. I hate to say it, but Radiman! *WHERE* is he? I like bald men! Omni-Tek has a bald man, so why can't the Clans have one too? Spread the baldie love around! I met the guy once, and he was an endearing, interesting, fun, and respectable character that just oozed history and importance. Bring him back please...Gaaah, if there's one guy I want back in this game, it's Radiman....and maybe Korbensen, but definitely Radiman!

Anyway, enough from me!
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

I haven't really had much of a chance to talk to and get to know the Omni-Tek legacy characters, as the character I have in such a position isn't too particularly fond of chatting with superiors. However, while the poor guy isn't really a part of much anymore, I always loved Philip Ross for the simple "Look, it's Philip Ross!" being the perfect way to distract anyone.
    As soon as I can get to know the styles and personalities of the current legacy characters I can give a more accurate judgement with this.

Alan Jacobi has to be my favourite here. The smoking of the cigars and the relaxed attitude he seems to have provided a huge inspiration for any business-like characters I've needed to create for little plots in the past. He's also possibly the one that I've heard of and seen the most recently.

Ooh, tough one. I'm torn between General Hekkat, Mayor King and the original incarnation of Joseph Hadrensen. Hekkat and Toog have always been a very prominent part of RP for me due to the Minister position one of my characters holds, and I love their attitudes to dealing with things. They're kind, gentle, but at the same time they know when things step too far and are very quick in dealing with situations, much faster than I've seen in places such as the BoD and CoT. And as for Joe, I think the majority of my characters have all at least bumped into him once. He appears at regular intervals which makes him the easiest character to start chatting to.

Least favourite... well, I can't really go and pinpoint one of them. I think the main thing that puts me off is that the Board doesn't often pick up on any outside events other than that what players provide, and even then it's more of an acknowledgement than a response. If they showed their personalities and traits a little more, it could get more interesting.

Again, it's difficult to point a finger on this. The more they get out the more I'd be able to give a solid opinion. Although, I'm not that much of a fan of Silverstone, he seems to be more mouth than fists, and I haven't really seen him in any other emotion other than either disgruntled or infuriated.

Oh, and to give an additional note, some of the most fun I've had with ARK Events is with the one time only characters that appear with some form of dilemma that needs to be resolved. What makes those so fun is that their fate is unsecure and as the characters aren't permanent it gives the players a feeling that their actions could really have some consequences.
    = Captain "Arthazar" Harcrow (Captain of The Phoenix Fortune)
    = Reporter "Lucetta" Phoenix (IRRK Freelance Reporter)
    = Sir "Sterlings" Furlocke (The Old English Trading Co.)
    = Dr. Malcom "Cormack" Ardman (University of Borealis)
    = "Paulon" McPhasefront, "Georj" Hairyson, "Johnar" Lemon & "Morninn" Starr (The Leetles)
    = "Gridfeed" (Camera Drone)
    = Director "Dartello" Marello (Black-Net)
    = DCI "Validius" Hunt (Department of Investigations)
    = DS John "Streller" (Department of Investigations)

= Major "Jimako" Jones (OTAF)
    = Mack "Teffler" Falloway (Clan hunter/trader)

Its horrible to admit, but I been playing a few yrs, and have YET to meet what I knew to be an LTC. But, theres time.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Mine would have to be Prestin. She is cold and bitter; yet proffesional and sleek, the perfect mix in my opinion. Although i have had few interactions with her, the ones i have; have been interesting! I just love her personality.

From who i have encountered, obviously for me this is limited... i don't have a single Clan toon! *gasp* I would have to say Silverstone, he is the only man that would be able to start a fashion trend of goats on your head!

Penelope through and through. She was involved in a deeper story, but was also available for idle chat; which was very random and could be extremely commical at times. I absoulety loved my interactions with this LTC.

I think Rhees. Rhees could be one of the most active and invovled LTC's out of all them! With events that have took place such as 4Holes and attacks on Clon****, Rhees could be *very* involved. Yet he doesn't seem to be at all, if they were my mines i would have been raging about now.

Aideen Landau, from the impression i get; Landu does absoulety nothing and gathers no interest from me at all.
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

would prefer it to be based on the characters story rather than how good you think the ark RPs
    That reads out odd to me; it's like asking me to rate a chocolate cookie but handing me a peanut butter one (both are good, but heh :P). If the write-up of an LTC is to be a fine stratego but the in-game LTC can't pull it off, there's a contradiction; to an extent, it's almost not the same character...

I can understand that it's hard to embody someone else as an assignment. Some LTCs are very complex and hard to play, and we're all human But it's hard to make totally abstraction of the way an LTC is played.

Enough digression! Onward.

Ross! Complex, not linear, a worthy enemy for Clanners, a good leader for Omni-Tek, a man of vision. I wonder if he would still play chess if he ever gets out of coma. He's more dangerous to Clans than any other. Should he come back.

Meanwhile, Sergeyich. I like his "chief investigator" side, who will back up his men on the field and not just push a pen. He'll roll up his sleeves and get his hands dirty. He's also not all tidied up and perfect.

Okoli, who is probably the most complete character and one that could rally the others (from the write-up...).

Ex-aequo, but for very different reasons:

Jacobi, for the entrepreneur attitude, yet a bit rebel with the rules

Silverstone, for the iconic value of the character. Charisma is mentioned in the background, I hope to see more of that (I did some, in the last couple of months, though), because the "I woke up on the left foot this morning" attitude can significantly cast a shadow over the charisma.

Jaunay (it would have been Portman if she was still on the list of LTCs): she's on fire! passionate, smacktalking, whole, with a corroding sense of humor. She holds true to her principles and her goals. She backs up what she says she'll do.

Zora. He has the typical traits of a villain, true, but... he lacks what it takes to really hate him, he's coming across as small-scale opportunist who got "lucky"... A street thug with a shiny office. My character and myself both share this opinion

Humbold. The write-up mentions he's the son of a trading baron, but he lacks... scale. It's like he's lived in the shadow of his father and later, in the shadow of Montezuma.

I'd first like to take a moment to say a huge thank you to all the events team folks past and present. If it weren't for events I'd never of stuck in there at the start - or come back! Everything about my character is unplanned so they've been entirely shaped by the interactions they've had with players and LTCs -- I've loved every minute of it.

Who is your favorite Omni-Tek Legacy Character and why?

I really love both Max and Zora. Both seem delightfully slimy, but in completely different ways! I personally enjoy that they politely disagree with each other but it still creates this underlying theme of hostility. *goosebumps!*

Who is your favorite Clan Legacy Leader and why?

This one is tough too. I think Jacobi has been my favorite for a number of reasons, firstly because he has a wide range of reactions to things. Overall he's the most human in the way he's presented, however I've also seen varied levels of humanity from Silverstone too. I think that rather depends on who's behind the scene playing him though, since a blind hatred is harder to make convincing.

Who is your favorite LTC and why?

Oh! Hard to pick!! Well for currently active my fave has got to be Fishmen, I get the biggest kick out of a beer drinking leet farmer who's so mysterious! I've just met a few of the others briefly but I'm also very curious to learn more about both Uther and Zawar, Fali's just dyin to know more about those two.

I can't wait for more too - more LTCs!! I'm most interested in Korbensen!

Also wanted to give a big shout-out to Lightswift from years and years ago. One of the best LTC interactions I've had over a long time-frame. Consistent and presented a complete character that changed and grew right along with the player characters. That sort of dynamic development makes for the most interactive experience and I'm happy to see that Fishmen's character is taking the same route.

Great job and keep it coming!
    President - Shattered Dreams- Rimor

WOOOOOT1!!!!!1

Okoli is pulled out of the drawers!

*glee*

My favorite LTC was probably Kochren. He was creepy, he was cocky, he gave me chills. He managed to make my adrenalin pump quite a few times, and that's saying a friggin' lot. I miss D6. Too bad Kochren is not on the LTC list, so it doesn't count for this friendly little survey...

I'd like to go on record and give props to other LTC's that I didn't name in my previous write up, whom deserve some attention:

General Hekkat: Out of all the officiate in the game, this guy really has a pretty epic past, and hes quite and doesn't get bent out of shape about much. The interaction between Bubba and Hekkat has been one of pure respect. So much so, that every time trouble erupts in Newland, Bubba tries not to go against the wishes of the ministry there. Overall, I think they have a good deal in common. Great interaction every time.

Mayor King: I like Mayor King a great deal, because out of all the fringe LTC's he strikes me as the guy whos the most normal. He is not extremist in any way, shares certain traits in common with other LTC's but is moderate to the point where its believable. His backstory makes him out to be a total kingpin, but with a heart of gold. You gotta give props to how he manages to pull it all off, and still look good for the people he needs to look good for. Overall, a proper gentleman with a sense of humor.

Buckehead: Pure nostalgic genius. A great hack from a popular Sci-fi game, and done well to the point where even if you are mad as hell at its wisecracks, you cant help but be laughing behind the screen.

Honorable mention: Turms Falon. A guy I love to dislike. Its tough to describe what makes him so cool as a bad guy. He reminds me a great deal of Karl Ruprecht Kroenen from the first Hellboy movie. He is a delightful masterwork of insanity under a tightly controlled demeanor. The only LTC that has to date, stumped Bubba.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Even though he's no longer in the game, my answer is Phillip Ross. One of the lesser-known things about him is when he supported Newland in finding new guards, he hinted that he had just discovered the relationship between Omni-tek and the Unredeemed--and he did not approve. The shooting (and virus) always appeared (ooc) to be an Unredeemed/Omega plot to remove a rebellious employee.

I don't really know any of them well enough to say.

Toog--for being crazy enough to act on my suggestion that "We should return the chips to omni-tek after testing their safety by implanting them into rollerrats."

A close second goes to Felkios, even though he's only been seen once since Omni took over Borealis. Interesting history--he was a retired mercenary who got into politics, and if you asked he always had a response that left you wondering whether he had fought for Omni-tek or Sol Banking.

There are too many of them I haven't met to decide.

I'm still a bit annoyed that when Midia sent her medusa army to attack Tir, Silverstone did nothing to help defend the city--then his men (Wickham etc) attacked the neutrals who DID defend the city after Midia was captured.

Ooohhh, Kochren....Now that was one cool guy. Long, long time ago Nuli met up with him in the Relax bar...though I can't recall why, exactly. It was soooooo long ago o.o What a character though. Lots and lots of fun to interact with
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

Funcom employee

People remember Kochren. =D This makes the Kintaii pleased.

(Kochren and Nulion met up to discuss the Ross shooting - How D6 was sent out on assignment that day and why they weren't there)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    People remember Kochren. =D This makes the Kintaii pleased.

(Kochren and Nulion met up to discuss the Ross shooting - How D6 was sent out on assignment that day and why they weren't there)
    If only i had known, i could have worked that in. :/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast