Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 21st, 2010 - Instability in Greece caused by Macrosun!

Funcom employee Friday with Means - May 21st, 2010 - Instability in Greece caused by Macrosun!

As the title says Macrosun is on vacation in Greece this week. Everyone in the office is jealous. Work has continued on the engine and we are getting closer to getting a stand-alone client to work with. This involves exporting/converting every single playfield in AO...each one takes about 1-2 hours...a recipe for FUN FUN FUN! If the coder running the exports doesn't go crazy (each one has to be run individually...and it likes to "freeze" rather than crash.) we might be lucky enough to see a first version next week-ish.

Thanks to everyone who has spent time with me in-game speaking about the daily missions. While they are more or less "complete" we don't think of them as perfect and we have some changes based on good feedback that will be coming in the next update. Changes like "multi-step" missions will offer part of the reward at every step and will go beyond the reward offered by "easier" missions to better compensate players for "longer" missions. Players who are unable to complete difficult "final" missions will still have received significant rewards. Making it possible for anyone in any variety of gear to complete the mission would likely remove any possible challenge...so a partial reward seemed like the best route here.

PvP missions and AXP missions are also in progress and we hope to get them out soon. We are also discussing "elite" type missions for a larger level range. Work also began this week designing the "long awaited" open PvP areas that will offer a "wait free" alternative to the Battlestations. I'm not sure when this will be complete...but again we are trying to keep this as simple as possible.

HEADS: I might be mistaken but I think this is the first time we have posted images of the new heads using the "previewer" for the new engine. These three will look pretty much exactly as they do in-game as they do in this image....so again I couldn't be happier with the amazing work that is being done by the artists in the Beijing office.

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

first

Interesting, kinda like the heads, i think the atrox one has too many wrinkles and face fat..like the nanomage one alot however.
    Last edited by Lasliana; May 21st, 2010 at 14:57:03.

almost

very good news about daily missions "steps".

NM head is nice.
    Opi face has a weird uper lip...
    Trox lips are .... huge ...
    Last edited by Gridpain; May 21st, 2010 at 14:58:55.
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

3rd
    Any news on the APFs for other level ranges? I'd love to be able to make some creds for myself on my main, rather than relying on an alt of a profession that I don't enjoy all that much.
    Last edited by shelms8; May 21st, 2010 at 15:29:16.

zomg 4th! nurf shelms!

Cool...

Dang, that is the head one of my toons is currently using on the old engine! Neat. Nice preview.
    Last edited by Igri00; May 21st, 2010 at 14:59:41.

7th
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

8th
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Pretty damn first if you ask me.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

first,,errrmmm ...

-.-

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    These three will look pretty much exactly as they do in-game as they do in this image....
    As they do in-game, or as they do in the image?
    It's one or the other. (or a rephrasing of the sentence)

Narf!
    Be warned; my mind lurks within:
    After watching Pinky and the Brain, I have come up with a masterful plan to take over the world!

I shall study the way in which simpletons converse, picking up their lingo and slang. Diligently learning about their sports, celebrities and other mental opiates!
    For, they do not like being reminded of how inferior they are, becoming defensive and hostile. Discarding deep thoughts and common sense as "un-cool."
    Then! Once disguised as a conformist, shrouded in my pedestrian language, accepted as "one of them" I shall make suggestions and steer them toward their inevitable lemming end.
    Sure, there are some drawbacks; I could sink into the comforting world of acceptance, day dreaming and "going with the flow" Effectively losing myself in their ways.

However, the possibilities ... oh such temptation ...

Just something that I was pondering and writing, probably at the same time that you wrote this post, Means.
    I might have a villian in my book say something similar.

-------------------------------

Besides putting in a tally with a simple one column array to check the difference between the most frequently and infrequently assigned missions and upon reaching too high a difference; then giving them the lowest ....

I would say I have no issues with the missions as yet and feel that they are great in giving people more scope on the activities they can do within the game.

However, once again. I would like to re-iterate that I feel XP is too high in some areas and that old and "accepted" expl methods, used on the AI and mechanics of the game might need to be looked into.

I feel that it is most important that shortcuts be removed so that when the new engine is released, there will be veterans in the low to mid levels, able to team with and help new people. Not "Woooooooosh" power levelling through it all and leaving them void.

Either that or make it possible for newbies to just start at 150, with a starter kit for their profession, go through some Heckler and inf mission training to get to 220 and "start" the game.

*(The importance in removing these solo and power levelling methods is simple:

It will "encourage" people to help others to equip and know their tool set.
    Why?
    Since, they will then be able to team more effectively, making the levelling faster for them once again.)

-----------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by nikkydkhick View Post
    AO as THE JOURNEY has been co-opted with AO as THE DESTINATION.
    /caustic sarcasm on
    The game only begins at 80!

... erm ... I mean 220!
    /castic sarcasm off
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkydkhick View Post
    More resources poured into developing PVP content??? Game population is in free fall so lets give them more of what nobody wants???

I guess the designers prefer to design areas that will be never used, and therefore receive very little criticism.

Graphics??? One of the best selling games for years (Grand Theft Auto San Andreas) had graphics way below the detail of current AO, yet game play and world design are light years beyond AO. Not to mention RDR starting up soon, no that's not going to be competition, naw.

The principles at AO simply refuse to fix the major things that are broken in the game, like the extremely dated nubi island experience, like vanishing mission entrances, bugged quests, too few unique quests or activities, lack of decent auction system, the lastly, the dead horse in the room.

The dead horse being that most new players come in expecting and wanting a game where leveling up is THE JOURNEY and these players quit after they have played long enough to realize that the game is fashioned to suit a dwindling set of paying end-gamers.

AO as THE JOURNEY has been co-opted with AO as THE DESTINATION.

I love AO, I love exploring all that it has to offer. I actually like a little bit of everything (hunting mobs in the wild, missions, quests, dungeons) (PVP not so much), but every day that goes by with THE DESTINATION mantra driving game development there are fewer and fewer players.

The daily missions were a small step in the right direction, I think it is going to take a great deal more to stem the player base collapse.

The latest batch of heads need to be sent back, they look just plain awful to me. What I would like to see improved are the sitting posture of most toons, talk about looking bizarre and grotesque. Yea, I know, no body wants to be assigned to work on butts. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by AryannaCK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JenShay View Post
    /\
    .|
    .|
    .|

Totally ignored why? Since, the devs must run around wiping everyone's noses. Too much sitting back and expecting others to organise, engineer or level for them going on around here.
    Amen to ya. I'll admit that there are plenty of "system" problems; profession balancing, new BS maps/more group PvP options, new leveling methods, etc.. But, at some point, people have to actually start doing stuff. Why pay for a game that you a) don't want to play, or b)would prefer to run around the forums and cry about every little problem. This makes no sense to me.

I have real problems with things like OST and what not, and mostly philosophical. For the most part, I choose not to use it because I'm fundamentally against the idea of it. In other words, I am actively doing something, rather than just whining about the problem. Sure, I've made cases here about my thoughts on the matter, but I'd rather do something now to help out.

I think people forget that game developers in general (good ones, anyway) watch what people do in their game. They try to adapt the system to meet your needs, otherwise they will eventually bankrupt. Simple as that. So, if you are wanting something here, start actively doing something about the problem, and if FC is any good at all, they will recognize the phenomenon and do something about it.

If you make a big enough "thing" about it, and they still do nothing, then what are you spending your money on?
    Last edited by JenShay; May 27th, 2010 at 08:31:51.
    Anarrina is just doing her job. Way nicer in IRC.|| High aptitudes in some things != social skills.
    "Don't debate with a troll. They are impervious and will bring you down to their level; in height range to beat you with their thick little skulls."
    Audible taste of Africa.
    One string.| How to bring a sense of accomplishment back. "Fr00bs play AO; sl00bs work it."
    Why so serious?
    Stick What? You mean there are not enough PvP-ers ... to get the BS running? ... how come ...
    Aeliniyah : Where exactly? ... it requires only 6+6 people to start a round of BS, yet they never run ...

first page
    Woot
    Shade lover (trox all the way :P)

you still here?
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

Awesome new heads. First Trox I've seen that looks like a different species and not just a fat human. Please keep the huge lips, it gives him character

Same for the Opi girl. I'm glad she's a little bit weird and not just a gray-skinned Solitus. The Nanomage is ugly, but he's supposed to be ugly and I like him.

I like it.
    Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
    And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
    Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
    I shake it off, I shake it off

First page?

Really liked the nanomage face. Btw, please make the faces able to "grin"

/sadface
    /happyface
    /angryface
    /dropjaws

^^
    Last edited by mozaix; May 21st, 2010 at 15:32:05.
    Detachment: Mayhem (OTC)

Coolx ( 220/30 ) Opifex Agent
    Evildaemon ( 220/30 ) Opifex Meta-physicist
    Criminal ( 220/30 ) Atrox Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by Lasliana View Post
    first

Interesting, kinda like the heads, i think the atrox one has too many wrinkles and face fat..like the nanomage one alot however.
    You mean the head that's supposed to be from a trox? Imho it doesn't look "trox" enough.

edit:
    besides that I like them!

Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast