Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lold... er... Friday with(out) Means - June 11th, 2010: Hai noobs!

Quote Originally Posted by torakx View Post
    ... I dont complain that pvp balance is too far away, ...
    The balance is already here.
    Traders are a bit rough but even that can be worked against. Fr00bs have tournaments, they are pretty even. Either with OSBs or without. Even on my totally PvM characters, I still have a fair chance against most.

So, some minor touching up there and good to go.

Main focus of AO has always been PvM.
    The PvP is just there as pacifiers for the veterans when they run out of content to do. It fits so neatly too. Most of the time you have to twink like crazy to stand a chance and that takes end game funds with PvM game knowledge.

Now consider other games, you spend just ~30% or less of your levels in a happy PvM sand pen, learn and then you get tossed out to PvP for the rest of the game.

Yeah. No way that the PvPers are a significant portion of the community.
    Some bored vets, some mixed ones, some VP farmers, some that get dragged to Tara or towers out of org / faction loyalty but don't want to do it and then very few PvPers.
    Anarrina is just doing her job. Way nicer in IRC.|| High aptitudes in some things != social skills.
    "Don't debate with a troll. They are impervious and will bring you down to their level; in height range to beat you with their thick little skulls."
    Audible taste of Africa.
    One string.| How to bring a sense of accomplishment back. "Fr00bs play AO; sl00bs work it."
    Why so serious?
    Stick What? You mean there are not enough PvP-ers ... to get the BS running? ... how come ...
    Aeliniyah : Where exactly? ... it requires only 6+6 people to start a round of BS, yet they never run ...

One thing to point out here is that PvP in AO has always been stated to be balanced for group vs group, not solo. Not even the rebalancing will change that as far as I know, it will still be group vs group aimed. In that regard we already do have balance, it's a bit sloppy as some tools like nemesis nanos are over powered but it is here now.

The problem is some just want to do it solo, complain when prof X can kill them and then demand changes so they can do nothing but solo PvP. Apparently that's not going to happen. I seem to remember even after the rebalance announcement Means or the like saying full one vs one PvP balance would be basically impossible. If you look at intended PvP content it's all meant to be group vs group, BSs even force it to be group vs group and try to keep the numbers inside at least semi-even.

AO started out as a PVP game. But carebears whined a lot and the pvp was removed in less than 6 months. Then some of us figured this was what would happen to every MMO ever and just stayed around wondering why people still bothered trying out new games when all of them would be ruined by people crying.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    AO started out as a PVP game. But carebears whined a lot and the pvp was removed in less than 6 months. Then some of us figured this was what would happen to every MMO ever and just stayed around wondering why people still bothered trying out new games when all of them would be ruined by people crying.
    cool story bro.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

hmm - first time I see so much activity on forums from FC team. Somone gave them monthly payment, so they do their job?
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Good comment masta.I am looking for a bit more anarchy myself in this game.I do enjoy bor city pvp where people are more sociable and you can just relax play around with al factions and sometimes take part in social wars lol
    I realise some rather we took it to a bs or tower site but thats more structured areas and i enjoy the city scenery.
    Would much prefer a whole city with no guards and 0% gas.Unfortunatly the pvpers are mostly gone atm so its not viable and there would need to be a bit more of an insentive to fill out that city too or the pvpers will be hanging out at bor or wherever with flags where people can see they are looking for pvp.
    The pvp system and mechanics i believe would need to be adjusted or changed to more steer people in the right direction.
    The BS's are great for that,but with a timer on each round and nothing to do but stand and stare or duel as you wait for the next round its off putting.Hopefully that will be fixed with these new waiting areas.Imo the waiting area may turn out more fun than the actual BS

With genele answering all these questions can she answer this one?

When are we going to see some video of the new engine? we were told about it like 15 weeks ago...
    220/30/70 OMNI SOLDIER - Tyler "Tyfow" Fowler SMG/PDKP -First!
    220/22/64 OMNI BUREAUCRAT - Iliek "Vaporeon" Mudkipz

A PvM game where PvP is a feature?

Right - it is what some of your want AO to become. But that will be its death.

Come on, open your eyes, the player base has been getting thinner since about the year it came out. What do you think keeps people playing? The incredible feature of being able to go out and to auto-attack a random creep? Or is it the one of spending countless hours in identical missions or Heckler farming team session?

Nah, I believe players definitely keep playing a ten years old game in order to enjoy sitting on a cliff admiring the view while they are leveled up by another player happily kitting away...

People playing PvM tend to enjoy rewarding gameplays, nice graphics, faster leveling etc etc. None of which AO can offer today. I'm not saying to play AO for pvm only is completely pointless, it is a matter of tastes I guess.

On the other hand, Counter Strike is like 12 years old, people are still playing it... PvP by nature can renew itself, offers infinite experiences, is always challenging, and you don't even need to create new areas/monsters/quests to keep people playing.

You're pointing the lack of pvpers in the game today, when this only proves our point. Funcom has largely ignored the pvp community, (balance, supports, etc.), which has slowly pushed even the most hardcore players to go look somewhere else.

Only I think it can only lead AO's self destruction, because years after years, the pvm content can only feel older, outdated and frustrating. What some here have been trying to say can be summarized in one sentence, "player vs players content ages a lot slower than player vs [crappyAI] does". If you don't want to see it or to hear it, too bad, your life.
    Last edited by Dolfindwe; Jun 13th, 2010 at 22:00:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolfindwe View Post
    Come on, open your eyes, the player base has been getting thinner since about the year it came out. What do you think keeps people playing? The incredible feature of being able to go out and to auto-attack a random creep? Or is it the one of spending countless hours in identical missions or Heckler farming team session?

Nah, I believe players definitely keep playing a ten years old game in order to enjoy sitting on a cliff admiring the view while they are leveled up by another player happily kitting away...

People playing PvM tend to enjoy rewarding gameplays, nice graphics, faster leveling etc etc. None of which AO can offer today. I'm not saying to play AO for pvm only is completely pointless, it is a matter of tastes I guess.
    As someone who primarily does PVM I have to agree, although I do think FC is finally getting their act together in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Are you counting beta? Because I didn't play then. I started 2 months after official release and it was not a PvP focused game then, it was PvM as it has always been.
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_One View Post
    Are you counting beta? Because I didn't play then. I started 2 months after official release and it was not a PvP focused game then, it was PvM as it has always been.
    why would a pvm game have so many pvp and FFA pvp zones?

when i first started playing in 2002, pre-NW even.. there were entire 0% gas zones. many many areas in "neutral" zones were 25% gas (in nld even! not just mmd)

NW caused pvp to be limited to just a niche area, and things went further downhill from there.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    why would a pvm game have so many pvp and FFA pvp zones?

when i first started playing in 2002, pre-NW even.. there were entire 0% gas zones. many many areas in "neutral" zones were 25% gas (in nld even! not just mmd)

NW caused pvp to be limited to just a niche area, and things went further downhill from there.
    I was responding to Mastablasta's post were he stated AO started as a PvP game, by my definition it is not a statement I can agree with.
    There has always been more PvM content then PvP even when there were the 0% and 25% gas zones. That is why I call it a PvM game as apposed to calling it a PvP game.
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

I started a month or so after release and never do I remember starting out and doing PVP stuff, I honestly don't remember doing anything besides PVM.

Alot of ppl who want to limit AO to PVP are really in the wrong type of game if that's all you consider doing, it's very tiring reading the continuous whines about it on forums.
    Kamikaze "Kaitoujeanne" - 220/30/70 - Doctor
    .¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.•`
    Ice "Shivaz" Crystal - Meta-Physicist
    .¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.¸.•´☆ ¤º☆`.¸.•

this PVM vs PVP debate is going nowhere, no matter how many times each debater played AO. the fact is if we want AO to be alive after 10 years of presence, with attracted new players & happy veterans inside, it has to provide variety of PVM activities at every level (for froob as much as sloobs), and a balanced and challenging PVP system for every profession ... and a crossing that battlestation is doing fine at providing, imo.

and i think, i hope, Mean's team got that in mind and working in this direction : they added a lot of playfields & levelling activities for a wide range of level, froobs and sloobs included. now, out of new engine, they're going to revamp startup so newbies are catched in, and i hope they'll provide decent rebalancement correcting lotta mistakes still around (lowbie traders, triple/double nts, pvp godmode advys, instakiller enfos, redesign nemesis, etc ...).
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

... countless hours in identical missions or Heckler farming team session?
    sitting on a cliff ... while they are leveled up by ... kitting away...
    ^--- Hmm ... yes. That is all there is to do.

People playing PvM tend to ...

• Enjoy twinking for a dungeon.
    • Getting into mixed up teams, 3 agents, trader, doc and NT (kill or be killed team.)
    • Chatting with people.
    • Helping others to go out and do something or get an items.
    • (Sl00b raiding sucks as a foregone conclusion) Fr00b raiding with having to keep a 6K critting, agg stealing MA alive.
    • Pulling adds away and rooting them as part of a plan.
    • Feeling part of a whole.
    • Seeing a team work.

Bleh. Going to bed.
    I was responding to a PvPer. Been expecting a "Go QQ" in this thread for awhile.
    Anarrina is just doing her job. Way nicer in IRC.|| High aptitudes in some things != social skills.
    "Don't debate with a troll. They are impervious and will bring you down to their level; in height range to beat you with their thick little skulls."
    Audible taste of Africa.
    One string.| How to bring a sense of accomplishment back. "Fr00bs play AO; sl00bs work it."
    Why so serious?
    Stick What? You mean there are not enough PvP-ers ... to get the BS running? ... how come ...
    Aeliniyah : Where exactly? ... it requires only 6+6 people to start a round of BS, yet they never run ...

If AO is a pvp game, why isn't every playfield open pvp then?

Why do you have to get flagged if you want to go kill someone?

I mean, it's Anarchy Online right?

If the Anarchy meant pvp, then it would be that, pvp anarchy everywhere with the possibility of getting ganked at each corner...right?

Hmm, nope, gotta go to certain areas to pvp, or ask someone, or get flagged and hope you can egg someone into attacking you.

Wow your right! It IS a pvp game!
    Atlantean
    ------------------
    Postmuerta - 210/10 Solitus Soldier

Kamaytayan - 220/17 Solitus Fixer

AO is neither a PvM game or a PvP game. It's Anarchy Online.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    This.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    what anarchy?

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    One thing to point out here is that PvP in AO has always been stated to be balanced for group vs group, not solo. Not even the rebalancing will change that as far as I know, it will still be group vs group aimed. In that regard we already do have balance, it's a bit sloppy as some tools like nemesis nanos are over powered but it is here now.

The problem is some just want to do it solo, complain when prof X can kill them and then demand changes so they can do nothing but solo PvP. Apparently that's not going to happen. I seem to remember even after the rebalance announcement Means or the like saying full one vs one PvP balance would be basically impossible. If you look at intended PvP content it's all meant to be group vs group, BSs even force it to be group vs group and try to keep the numbers inside at least semi-even.
    This is very important and seems to be largely ignored in these type arguments. I really hope FunCom keeps proffesion based gameplay a priority in all aspects.
    ----------------------------------
    The Dark Order Of Chaos

Monchil - MA
    Maxxon - Bureaucrat
    Gunnymonch – Soldier
    ----------------------------------

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast