Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Account flagged for RP a year and no contact

Funcom employee

Nah, totally cool - That's what this area is for. =) The more new blood we can get in here the better, and asking questions is always a good thing. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

And, to be honest, it's far better to get involved in your server's community if you want to be involved in something.

Your odds are probably better of finding ARK based RP by having solid connections inside of your community and finding out something is going on that way, rather then hoping ARK picks your name off of a list.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Good point I should start frantically adding all the people posting on here to my friendslist :P

Funcom employee

Aye, this is true - The Events Account Flag was really designed to aid us in finding people for more specific things, not every-day roleplaying. If you want to get involved, honestly the best way is just to roll up your sleeves and start digging in. Joining the OTAM/CoT is a great way to connect with others, as well as joining Channel42/NRPB and attending events like the Greencloaks meetings.

With such a small team on our end, its pretty much impossible for the Events department to track down everyone and pull them into an event/roleplaying scenario. It's just a matter of logistics and numbers, really. That said, though, getting out and networking with other roleplayers definitely increases your chances of running into one of the Events characters - Even just checking out the stickied list of storylines is a huge boon, not to mention adding the names of any interesting-sounding LTCs to your in-game buddy list.

So yes - Being proactive is the best way to guarantee that you'll find a place in the roleplaying community of AO and eventually stumble across some of them blue names. Just get out there, start RPing, start writing stories, and let it roll from there. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Friendslist is a good move If you have any other questions feel free to post them up in there forums or you can send me a PM on the forums any time and I'll be happy to help you out as best as I can.

So, aside from flagging your account for events(which mine was, but heard it wasnt working) any way for a nonrper to know when staged events are held? The news posts are in character and I got nfc if they relate to an IG event or just some guy typing fantasy on his computer.
    I enjoyed the only one ive ever attended(keeling giant golems with some Guard captain).
    Note: I dont want to do any RP only stuff, events only.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    your an idiot

Also, there is another splinter group of OOC Chatter that starts in RPchat.

/tell RPChat !join (if on rimor)

Other than that, there are still options on Aarp/Nrpb/Rpnet/etc.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I always considered the account flagging as a green light for the ARKs to manipulate your character and ask you to do something when necessarily. It never guarantee anything afaik, it just 'allows' stuff to happen to you.

It got me kidnapped by some lowly members of Shadow Compendium so far.

I think the biggest factor is involvement, it doesn't have to be time consuming, but just being original when needed (ex: being the only one shooting rockets on a difficult fight again OT juggernaught helped).
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

My account has been flagged since 2007 and I've never been to any ARK event.

Okay, okay, I tell a lie. I've been to meetings, a Halloween event, talked at long length with LTCs and been killed by aliens less than a second after walking through a whompa. The point is that I'm just a very casual (role)player and I sought the casual RP I wanted with friends and occasionally with ARKs.

Boltgun is right, the thing on your account isn't about being flagged for roleplay, it says what ARK/FC can do with your character in some cases and that you're ok with it. If you want to RP, you don't need ARK events and ARKs selecting you from a list. RP is something you do whenever you feel like it, be it while killing hecklers, at towers or just sitting at the table in Newland with some friends.

The whole of AO is an event. Do with it what you will. RP doesn't find you, you find it. And there's lots of info and people around to help you do it. Loads of stuff on this new forum actually.

If you want to RP with ARKs, stick some LTC names in your friends list, go to the monthly meetings, keep up to date with articles. And hey, maybe even you'll be lucky enough to see a random event.

If you want to RP with players, there's lots of players to do it with, communities to get involved with and a whole world to do it in.

Edit: My first Fourth Wall post.
    Last edited by Redesine; Jun 16th, 2010 at 21:53:13.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by MassDebater View Post
    So, aside from flagging your account for events(which mine was, but heard it wasnt working) any way for a nonrper to know when staged events are held?

IRRK is probably the best way to find out about events solely, and not getting invovlved with RP.
    If it says "IRRK Freelance:" in the title then it's done by a player, and not by ARK. most of the thing being reported, however, did happen in game and might have very well been an ARK event. ARKs will also do broadcast messages before during and after big events on the system channel and sometimes the IRRK channel too.

Another option would be the monthly meetings; Council of Truth, OT Board of Directors, and the Newland Council. Granted this would mean wadeing through waist deep In character chatter. However if your Org happens to have a person willing to attend said meetings as a rep and then can then turn around and inform the rest of your Org about events that are planned ahead of time. The meetings are one of the big platforms for advertising official events, and will provide the best chance in getting info about upcoming events, without getting fully involved in RP.

Looks like ARKs are going ot keep this topic uptodate on their stories:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=576609
    You can keep tabs on that, and might find something.

Hope it helps!
    Point Blank

I find that the == is kinda just a visible filter. Even I don't roleplay near all of the time, but when dealing with a == I remember my role... occasionally make jokes, occasionally try to get people to attend meetings... but I don't see it as a "I always want to do in character discussions"

... and for that matter, when people are talking "in character", I find that they try way too hard to use big words and say things they think are quoteworthy. I'm way guilty of this myself many times, seeing a ARK Event char standing around and just making an ass of myself and behaving nothing like I really should. I remember one time on Gridstream I hung up and just felt like a complete douche. I've actually found it easier to roleplay as a Council clerk, since I get to play several roles (character, doctor, diplomat, guild rep, Council rep).

The most fun is the challenging role playing, when your character is very different from your personality or even goals ingame. Sometimes I'm really torn when I'm playing a == char who has strong positions and some lowbie Omni comes asking for a buff, even if they have ==. On one hand, there's the chance to role play, on the other, there's just gamesmanship. In such cases, I advise doing a (( )) comment to qualify being mean or something. I've met poor Omni n00bs in SL that I feel more responsible to help than to roleplay with.

Two things really kinda frustrate me... first, people who constantly say "toon", and second, people who have ridiculous/joke first and last names and try to roleplay. Most of my names are randomly generated... so Razi "Bolieu" I have to have a kind of weak French background. If you're gonna put RP tags on, the character has to exist in your head somewhere.
    Last edited by Razishlyat; Jun 17th, 2010 at 22:10:27.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

A common issue i have come across is people not wanting to join in RP sessions such as the table (for rimorians) unless they see a Greeny Bluey. I find this absurd since the majority of us will probably be part of an ongoing ARK storyline such as myself trying to find these damned smugglers :P

Just as note if anyone reading this is one of those players. You are more likely to come across a ARK LTC by hanging out with us RP "Vets" than on your own . As they will tend to 'pick on' us more than a poor random newbie wandering around a city lost. Plus hanging out with us more will get you involved, which will in turn allow you to particpate in LTC interaction. :P
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooo-kay, before ANYONE starts going off the rails I don't wanna see any Atlantean vs. Rimor stuff in here. ;P Both dims have a sizable selection of RPers to choose from, as well as a good amount of player tools designed to aid in getting players involved. Neither dim is better than the other.

Lemme repeat that:

Neither Dimension Is Better Than The Other.
    This important notice has been brought to you by Happy Fun Ball. Happy Fun Ball would like to remind you that taunting Happy Fun Ball voids all warranties and guarantees. Some restrictions may apply.

Dreadstealth: Just for the record, nothing wrong with your question at all. Just that we have some... very passionate people on these forums. Wanna curtail anything before it starts.
    Pfft whatever Dim I'm on is the best dim for RP at that moment.
    Sorry I couldn't help it haha.
    I don't PvP becasue my rlpeen is big enough so I don't need to make up for it with my epeen.

"Ahhhhh that was a good dinner. Now it's time to hit the playground and watch the little girls."

Quote Originally Posted by Tifanyx View Post
    Fix, when you say flag do you mean the /rp flag in game, or the check box on your account page?

There is a HUGE difference. The in-game "= <name> =" flag is just visual to clue others that you are into RP. The check box on the account page makes you appear on the list that Pheats is talking about.

The best way to get involved in Role Playing stories is to be there at events and insert yourself into forum RP discussions.

Another route is to create your own story and live it out on Rubi-ka and in the forums. I've done that a few times and got lots of people interested and involved..

Both for about 5 years now
    Fixdem 150 / 14 Opi Fixer Unit Commander, Third Faction RK1
    Healdem 182 / 17 Solitus Doc Squad Commander, Third Faction RK1

"Yeah, I know it's for teams... Still wanna see how I do solo. =P"

I'm sorry to say, but the RP aspect of the game is dead compared to even just a few years ago (when it was already dying). Unfortunately the merge won't make a difference to RP whatsoever.

Pretty much all player-driven RP related projects have also died off.

Sad, I used to enjoy going to several places knowing there would be people roleplaying there and I could just walk in and interact with them. Those places are now empty, like the grind.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Ding, Dong, the RPs dead.

All dead, or mostly dead?

All dead

Or to quote Monthy phyton
    'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e
    rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! This is an ex-parrot!!
    Last edited by Gimpeline; Jul 2nd, 2012 at 07:52:42.
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency