Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - June 25th, 2010 - Happy Birthday..Holy sh*t we're NINE!

Funcom employee Friday with Means - June 25th, 2010 - Happy Birthday..Holy sh*t we're NINE!

It is hard to believe it has been nine years. A number of you have been with us from the very beginning and I am sure have the same flux of memories to mull over that I do at this time every year. Just yesterday a bunch of us were standing outside the office discussing our favourite AO memory and before we knew it we had been standing around chatting about it for almost an hour. It was of course funny to note a lot of our favourite memories were bugs...very memorable ones.

Speaking for myself it isn't easy for me to describe how I feel about it as it is actually difficult to really remember my life before coming to Funcom and working on AO. I have been here and working on AO for six years. Working on AO isn't a "job" that you leave behind at every day...generally when we aren't at our desks we are obsessing about how we can do things better or differently to really push the limits of what our favourite game is capable of. I'm sure a lot of you PLAY AO in the very same way. My two kids were born while I was on the AO team. With my wife working my first son Ethan practically grew up in the office. I was lucky to have a *very* understanding boss (thanks Craig!) and he would be here playing around my desk or sleeping in his buggy for at least 4 hours every day. He crawled for the first time here right beside my desk and was cheered on (and filmed) by the whole team. Aythem and Bachante (we miss you!) used to have regular play sessions with him almost every day...and this didn't really feel odd at all. The reason is that after moving to Norway the AO team has been my family for the last 6 years. People have come and gone but the group has stayed the same at its heart.

While people have come and gone over the years their dedication has been the absolute key to the game's survival and evolution over the years. I can't think of a single person who worked with us on AO who didn't live and breathe it during their time with us. This is really still the case today...possibly even more so. With the smaller team size than the original production this team really needs to be miraculous to be able to deliver the breadth of content and creative energy that the players deserve. As the game director I am a lot more visible than the other members of the team and I want to assure you that in no way am I wholy responsible for all the good stuff we have seen over the last couple years. Anything BAD can of course be blamed on me but the people that deserve the praise for their superhuman efforts are (in no physical proximity to me in the office):

Patrik Persson - Lead Coder (Macrosun)
    Brad L. McAtee - Senior Designer (Kintaii)
    Sjur Helland - Render Engine and Tools + Vice President of Patching (Parsed)
    OJ Kielland - Art/Modelling/World Building (Flaptoot)
    Tony Westerlund - Art/Modelling/World Building (Mstrbstrd)
    Helene Grøstad - Designer (Genele)
    Fia Tjernberg - Senior Designer (Lindelu)
    Michael Jensen - Designer/Coder (Metaing)
    Sergey Nenakhov - Senior render coder
    Iriche - Who the hell let him in here? (apparently visiting today)

Without the significant efforts of these people I don't think we would be here today...or not nearly in as good shape as we are. Funcom also deserves my thanks for all the support they have given this project over the years and CONTINUE to give us today....it would have been the easiest thing in the world to downsize/downplay development over the years but they have continually supported us in our efforts and dreams.

I hear it again and again that the reason that AO is "Still Alive" is our community and I have to agree. I can't thank you all enough for your support over the years...I can only promise you that we all respect the game and will continue to do our absolute best to continue making it better in the hopes of us all seeing another nine years together. We will get it done...we know how much it all means to you as it means that much to us.

What is your favourite memory?

See you all at the party tomorrow. Thank you all again!
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Yay me!! My first first!!

I would be hard pressed to give a favorite memory. I have so many fond memories from this game (I've been here nearly 8 years). From my early days in The Unity of the Rose to becoming a GSP Dancer back before we had an official org (and being so nervous when I auditioned for DJ Lauri). I'll never forget my first night at Reets and dying when I fell through the Glass Dance floor.

I was really blessed with meeting so many good people along the way in Anarchy Online. I can't explain what being a part of this game and this community has meant for me.

Thank you, Funcom! For Everything!!

Now, bring on the party!!!

(oh and dev t-shirts plx!!!!!!)
    Last edited by vallikat; Jun 25th, 2010 at 16:36:51.
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

Funcom employee

Wat!?
    Yey! Funsies!

Congratz Means.

Oh and BTW, I'd like to apologize for my not so friendly words about the items for the new building (and where you get them more importantly). It turned out to be very fun collecting all the pieces with friends. Still took alot of time, but I dont really care anymore what the actual building does. Its just nice to have it standing in my city atm
    Last edited by crude4gone; Jun 25th, 2010 at 16:31:57.

Fifth!
    ''Sugge''
    ''Epedemic''
    and some other Sick.... Terminat0rs

2nd
    buhu seems not
    Rapped 220/30/70 Enforcer game over equip retired
    Rapzilla 220/30/70 Adventurer game over equip mr newb?
    Mayhemia 220/30/70 NT game over equip Fixer's best frand
    Rippli 220/25/70 Soldier new equip BS junkie
    Amazinghorse aka Rippped 170/24/42 Agent equip new OP tl5 tool
    Rappjr work in progress
    Rippped 207/30/70 Agent fastest AI30 Ever?

General of Quetzfags // General of The Asylum

this birthday looks too asian....
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

Happy 9...

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Iriche - Who the hell let him in here?
    I ask myself this ALL THE TIME.
    Last edited by Technogen; Jun 25th, 2010 at 16:40:22.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Seventh!

edit: sup
    Last edited by Sephiroth56; Jun 25th, 2010 at 18:39:17.
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Congrats!
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by MstrBstrd View Post
    Wat!?
    Who!?
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    He crawled for the first time here right beside my desk ...
    That's great but when did he kill his first heckler?

grats to us i guess

Edit fav moment; first trox adv on RK2 to ding 220... in those days when 220 took time...
    Last edited by Niles; Jun 25th, 2010 at 16:48:19.
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

1st page?
    Vespersk 220/70/30 Sol
    Runordie 220/50/23 Enf
    Piskotka 220/50/21 Adv
    Vesperagent 170/40/19 Agent
    Arpi 150/30/9 Adv
    Taishasdoc220/70/25 Doc
    Bebop10 170/full/full Sol 300 ofab on
    Hoboblaster 200/full/XX Crat for S7 in progress

Thanks Means & Co. For the memories and the pies. I wouldn't trade it for the world, our org is 6 years old and full of people who i care about, who watched my own stories and antics of my own kids, and who if anything happened to me or them, they'd kick people in the nuts for, and I'd happily do the same. Gratz on 9 years guys
    Calida Solitus Pistol Adventurer - 220/30/70 RK2 - General & Recruitment Director of -= Power Overwhelming =-
    Means: The leets do my secret evil bidding. Sort of the Oompa-Loompas of Anarchy Online.
    Means: Oh come on...that felt "phoned in". Was that written by some guy in India you pay to troll for you?
    Means: The US office assures me that this person will be beaten soundly, denied rations, and not let of their cage for exercise period this week....and worst of all will be forced to continue working for us for the forseeable future.
    Venachar: Where's the 'Close Thread' button......Wait. There it is.
    Mostadio: Noobs should wander through a forest in the dark going "WTF dood I cannot see! amg I hear rollerrat runz!!"
    Kintaii: A pirate walks into a bar. There's a wheel attached to his crotch. yadda yadda arrr its drivin' me nuts yarr yarr

Woot first page
    TL 7
    RK2 - Maxisolja - 220/24 Trox Soldier | RK2 - Blitztrick - 220/25 Soli Fixer E | RK2 - Krakenz - 220/21 Trox Keep
    RK1 - Shanue - 218/30 Opi MA | RK2 - Redenf5 - 218/22 Trox Enf | RK2 - Jrollin - 214/25 Opi Shade
    TL 5
    RK2 - Memorial - 170/16 Opi Engi | RK2 - Maxisfix - 168/21 Opi Fixer E
    RK1 - Clento - 150/20 Soli Soldier | RK1 - Losodoc - 150/20 Soli Doctor
    RK2 - Loso - 150/20 Opi Advy | RK2 - Tachun - 150/13 Opi MP
    RK1 - Krakenz - 150/15 Trox Advy | RK1 - Loso - 150/13 Trox Advyoo.
    TL5 Fixer Information | GMT -08:00 West Coast Canada | Java AO Chat API | Dnet

Happy 9th birthday! Here's to seeing nine more!
    Wallybertius, 200 Omni Engineer Solitus, male
    de-facto leader of Alt.org.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Long story short: Thingie with the stuff. *nods sagely*

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast