Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means: July 23rd, 2010 - Insert Creative Subtitle Here

Hi, Kintaii!

I was reading this FW(o)M when 2-year old wandered over and pointed to your avatar saying, "Look! Nice hat! It should be yellow!" (well, 2 year olds generally talk in exclamative sentences ). Just thought to let ya know someone liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    The male nanomage's mouth looks... false. Fake. Not right. Not sure how to explain it, but it looks *wrong* to me.
    Its the metal rings. They are aligned perfectly vertical, which makes it look unnatural
    The mouth should either be contorted because of the alignment, or the rings should be skewed.
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    ok ... who stole circus clown's pics to design trox heads ? I want names !
    Dito.
    <insert funny comment here>

Quote Originally Posted by kenbutsu View Post
    Hi, Kintaii!

I was reading this FW(o)M when 2-year old wandered over and pointed to your avatar saying, "Look! Nice hat! It should be yellow!" (well, 2 year olds generally talk in exclamative sentences ). Just thought to let ya know someone liked it.
    My five-year old likes it but she does ask if he's trying to be The Shadow Man (Princess & the Frog). So maybe yellow is the way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by kenbutsu View Post
    Hi, Kintaii!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrajayne View Post
    My five-year old likes it but she does ask if he's trying to be The Shadow Man (Princess & the Frog). So maybe yellow is the way to go...
    This is cracking me up. Babies are cool.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Quitter123 View Post
    @taz: I have reached the characters limit for signatures

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters." Fixed
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by ElBoogy View Post
    i was allowed to build a closed sticky thread in the community corner of the german forum with the same function your signature has quitter... try to ask means if you can make one here

I had fun searching all fwm for informations of the most important upcoming changes and show them in one thread, it´s a nice information but i could understand why funcom doesn´t want this hehe.
    Link please!

I have no problem with this as long as the things completed remain on the list. I have no problem with Quitter's signature either...we all want these things done. I assume he will take them down as we complete them. The time it has taken to complete these goals is worthy of satire. The thread and the signature would have been changed/removed if we felt it was inappropriate.

Of course when I started this little weekly exercise other people told me I was crazy to share any of our plans or "hoped for" timelines as it would only generate complaints. I'm happy to take abuse if it means we are all contributing to making sure we are moving in the right direction. Either way it isn't like I could ask anyone to work harder than they already do.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Of course when I started this little weekly exercise other people told me I was crazy to share any of our plans or "hoped for" timelines as it would only generate complaints. I'm happy to take abuse if it means we are all contributing to making sure we are moving in the right direction. Either way it isn't like I could ask anyone to work harder than they already do.
    You're crazy!

But I'm sure most of us love you for it.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

The fact that he's crazy makes him perfectly suited to head this entire group of lunatics; devs, players, arks, and GMs.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

heck no offense to the other directors at all but I can honestly say that Means has done a lot more to make this game loveable again and I really do like that thanks for the work Means and Team(tm)
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

Maybe I'll get flamed for this but I feel the need to express my thoughts on what you've stated here.

Sometimes you post expected timelines/timeframes and they are right on the money. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that happens the majority of the time. Othertimes, you word timelines/timeframes in the exact same way as the ones you met and they don't happen.. sometimes without any update on word as to why.

As a vet of this game, I can tell you that I appreciate your Friday posts and the random responses you provide on the forums from time to time. As a paying customer, however, when the Game Director communicates expectations I believe them (or at least feel I should be able to). The credibility of the expectations you and others on your team set has become a joke with the whole Soon (tm) thing but it really shouldn't be. I can't speak for everyone, but I can say that it isn't the fact that expectations aren't met as much as that usually there isn't any follow-up or explanation and we're left in the dark as to what happened or a revised date. So what could have been labeled as a mere delay turns into a deception or lie.

To be honest, I'd rather not get any deadline than get a false one. I think there are others that feel the same way based on the comments I read around. I know that there are plenty that couldn't care less about whether or not you meet the expectations set as they blindly play this game regardless. In some ways, I also resemble that comment since I'm still a paying customer.

But I'll be honest, and this isn't one of those "the game will fold if I don't play" statements.... I'm not sure how much longer I will continue to pay for this game.. not because of playablity issues but because of the fact that I don't care for being lied to as a customer.

In another thread I commented about my expectations as a business owner.. hoping that my clients, if they have problems, will come to me first before going to a competing product. So I guess this is me doing to Funcom what I'd want done to me... for what its worth.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Maybe I'll get flamed for this but I feel the need to express my thoughts on what you've stated here.

Sometimes you post expected timelines/timeframes and they are right on the money. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that happens the majority of the time. Othertimes, you word timelines/timeframes in the exact same way as the ones you met and they don't happen.. sometimes without any update on word as to why.

As a vet of this game, I can tell you that I appreciate your Friday posts and the random responses you provide on the forums from time to time. As a paying customer, however, when the Game Director communicates expectations I believe them (or at least feel I should be able to). The credibility of the expectations you and others on your team set has become a joke with the whole Soon (tm) thing but it really shouldn't be. I can't speak for everyone, but I can say that it isn't the fact that expectations aren't met as much as that usually there isn't any follow-up or explanation and we're left in the dark as to what happened or a revised date. So what could have been labeled as a mere delay turns into a deception or lie.

To be honest, I'd rather not get any deadline than get a false one. I think there are others that feel the same way based on the comments I read around. I know that there are plenty that couldn't care less about whether or not you meet the expectations set as they blindly play this game regardless. In some ways, I also resemble that comment since I'm still a paying customer.

But I'll be honest, and this isn't one of those "the game will fold if I don't play" statements.... I'm not sure how much longer I will continue to pay for this game.. not because of playablity issues but because of the fact that I don't care for being lied to as a customer.

In another thread I commented about my expectations as a business owner.. hoping that my clients, if they have problems, will come to me first before going to a competing product. So I guess this is me doing to Funcom what I'd want done to me... for what its worth.
    Whoa....a realistic, level-headed person....I'm not sure how long it's been since I've seen another like that. *two thumbs up*

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post

Fully agree'd. While we don't expect -spot on- predictions or deadlines, we expect something in the ballpark. Your promise of 1 week for a engine video, going on the 23rd week now, is way OUT of the ballpark.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

While I do understand traderjill and notcratteys frustration I would just point out that you can't really say its out right lies.

Im sure Means really means the times he says, but as with everything in life things dont always go perfectly, and this results in things taking longer and are generally completely outside of means' control, specially when you factor in the fact that means often isn't directly involved in many processes (i assume, who know's maybe he does a bit of engine coding in bed at night or some moviemaking during lunch)

Granted it would probably be better to just come out and state "yeah things didn't go to plan and things will take longer than expected or have to be put on the back burner entirely until other things are out the way"

but even when he's done that people have taken this as him having lied or done something bad when he gave the first timeframe, its not, its just things not going as smoothly/quickly as first expected, I dare say EVERYONE has had many many such times in their life.

Yes its annoying when stated times don't get managed and frustrating if no reason or new realistic timeframe is given or things keep encountering issues, but at the same time this is all voluntary information given optimistically to try and keep people informed, and it generally shows that work is still being done even if things aren't going as planned.

When it comes down to it, most of whats happening is really bonus, no where on the box I bought 9 years ago nor the subscription page I pay monthly does it say that these things will happen at all let alone state dates for them.

I don't know of any company that has always kept every promise exactly as they've stated, but I know plenty more that have kept less promises than means and funcom has about anarchy online.

Add to the fact that while all these other projects are happening OTHER stuff is still happening and coming out on time is enough to keep me content.

If you just focus on the negatives and take it to the extreme when things happen and deadlines don't get met I can't see how you'd ever be happy in anything... Sure take the negatives into account but missed deadlines and long delayed projects shouldn't make things unenjoyable, specially as their is plenty of joy to be had with the good and average stuff.

Quitting a game because of missed extra's deadlines would, in my eyes, be like divorcing a partner due to them having some bad times in bed even if they never promised to be perfect every time, the bad times don't stop good times being good so why call it off in the hope that the next person will be better when they wont be?

Lie is a strong word. You're dealing with something that's not easy to designate time tables for and in a product where you can't really whine about anything. I'd personally ten times rather have an idea of what's being worked on and the knowledge that new things are coming, and what these new things are about, rather than being kept completely in the dark, with the changes in each patchnote being a complete surprise.
    Call me a fanboy for this, I don't care. I'm a veteran of this game longer than most and I long since stopped having any rabid relationship with anything and anyone here. I just don't care to see rather silly slander like that. If you don't want to pay for the product because you think you're being lied to, perhaps you should reevaluate what you call a lie.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I love that trox head
    "If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please', I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'."

SirNegs - Neutral Keeper
    Negs - Neutral MP
    Lode - Neutral Doctor

Thanks Brad. I appreciate it, and I have reciprocal Jack Daniels here just now. Think I finally managed to setup Facebook (only after 2 years in ARK ) - added you.

To everyone else: Despite the 'us and them' divide between the moderators and the community, you guys are great. Rock on.

All the best,
    Jamie
    Last edited by Venachar; Jul 25th, 2010 at 02:39:39.
    Guardian Venachar
    Public Forums Moderator - Deputy Team Lead | Professionals Liaison
    Forums Team | Community Relations Department | Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Venachar you look weird :/

You need more green
    Last edited by Junttius; Jul 25th, 2010 at 02:47:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenotric View Post
    While I do understand traderjill and notcratteys frustration I would just point out that you can't really say its out right lies.

Im sure Means really means the times he says.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I'd personally ten times rather have an idea of what's being worked on and the knowledge that new things are coming, and what these new things are about, rather than being kept completely in the dark, with the changes in each patchnote being a complete surprise.
    Like I said, I don't and didn't expect everyone to agree with what I have to say. And I knew when I typed what I had to say that people would take the most possible extreme and work from that angle.

Regardless, as a paying customer, my viewpoint is valid as it is how I perceive what happens and how I feel and I am being responsible by telling Funcom my thoughts. What they do with that information (be it ignore it or take it under advisement) is up to them.

For those that disagree and rather have misinformation than no information, fine... that is YOUR choice. I'd rather have valid information, when provided, than invalid information. Every person/player is different and I respect the fact that you feel that way. For me, when someone states that something will happen and it doesn't and there is NO clarification afterwards, the original statement becomes a lie. In absence of explanation, there is nothing else I can classify it as.. and that is my point. I don't want to believe that Means or anyone else has the intent to lie.. but nevertheless, absence of communication on false information leaves it to each individual to come to their own conclusions. In this case, their paying customers. The reality is that Funcom is a company and the bottom line is that the longer they get us to pay for our subscriptions, the more money in their pockets. So there are lots of conclusions one can come to when information/explanation isn't provided. Like many people that post on the forums, I can also jump to the worst possible scenario which is a lie or maybe I can jump to the least negative and go with an incompetent communication process that doesn't allow for follow-up.

Some conclude truth, some conclude misinformation, some say it is a lie some say 'whatever'. I'm not going to comment on this any further as my original post was just my way of letting Funcom know how I feel as a customer.. especially since Means brought up the topic. I don't really care what the other players think about my opinion.. it isn't really relevant.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jul 25th, 2010 at 03:03:26.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Link please!

I have no problem with this as long as the things completed remain on the list. I have no problem with Quitter's signature either...we all want these things done. I assume he will take them down as we complete them. The time it has taken to complete these goals is worthy of satire. The thread and the signature would have been changed/removed if we felt it was inappropriate.

Glad you can take a joke! The last active person in my org is now on break and my account runs out in a month though, so maybe I will be out of your hair for a while!

I appreciate the weekly postings even as I parody them

P.S. Which item am I going to remove from my signature first?
    Last edited by Quitter123; Jul 25th, 2010 at 04:04:12.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast