Thread: 2010 Meeting with Kintaii & ARK Events Team

2010 Meeting with Kintaii & ARK Events Team

Here is the log of today's great 2010 Meeting with FC Developer and Storyline Dude Kintaii & ARK Events Team. Lots of good stuff, and an excellent discussion! Read On!

[15:00] <Kintaii^> Hello!
    [15:00] <Kintaii^> It is now 19:00 GMT and that means it's meetin' time!
    [15:00] <Kintaii^> First off, let me thank everyone for showing up today - We've got a good turn-out here and it's great to see most of the names I was expecting and quite a few that I haven't seen before. =)
    [15:01] <Kintaii^> This is our first time running one of these meetings via IRC and, for those of you who've done this before it'll work very closely to times past.
    [15:01] <Kintaii^> There are a few changes from how we ran the meetings in-game, though, so please pay attention. =)
    [15:02] <Kintaii^> This meeting will be run under an open channel, with moderation rules. This means that though the channel will be open for conversation, we ask that you do not speak unless you have been given the floor.
    [15:02] <Kintaii^> As a note: I will not hesitate to kickban anyone actin' a fool. You have been officially warned. :P
    [15:02] <Kintaii^> The meeting will run in two parts: First, where we take your questions and comments and answer them to the best of our ability
    [15:03] * ShadowGod changes topic to 'The Great 2010 Events/Player Meeting of Awesomeness Has Started! if you're unable to say anything in the channe, please be patient for when its allowed (mode -m happens)'
    [15:03] <Kintaii^> Then, after this, we will ask questions of you and take your feedback.
    [15:03] * ShadowGod changes topic to 'The Great 2010 Events/Player Meeting of Awesomeness Has Started! if you're unable to say anything in the channel, please be patient for when its allowed (mode -m happens)'
    [15:03] <Kintaii^> (thank you SG)
    [15:04] <Kintaii^> During the first segment: If you have a question for the Events team, please send a private message to Maleachi: You may do this on mIRC by either typing "/query Maleachi your message here" (without the quotes) or by right-clicking his nickname in the IRC nick list and selecting "query"
    [15:04] <Kintaii^> You may also you "/msg Maleachi your message here" with your question.
    [15:04] <Kintaii^> Questions must be submitted to Maleachi.
    [15:05] <Kintaii^> We will take your questions and answer them in the order they are received. When we are responding to your question, you have free reign to speak however you wish and respond.
    [15:05] <Kintaii^> If we are answering someone else's question, and you feel you would like to comment on it, please do the following:
    [15:05] <Kintaii^> !
    [15:05] <Kintaii^> We will note that you have a comment, and allow you to speak.
    [15:05] <Kintaii^> When your question has been answered, we will move on to the next question and ask that you remain silent once again.
    [15:06] <Kintaii^> Again: Please do not speak unless called upon. This ensures that the meeting will flow in an orderly fashion.
    [15:06] <Kintaii^> You may begin submitting your questions to Maleachi now.
    [15:06] <Kintaii^> Now, before we get started, we'll do a quick round of introductions.
    [15:06] * Maleachi hides
    [15:07] <Kintaii^> My name is Brad L. McAtee, AKA Kintaii (dur) and I am a senior content designer on Anarchy Online. I am in charge of many things, but most importantly to this meeting I am the storyline lead for the team, as well as head writer on staff.
    [15:07] <Kintaii^> Pheats?
    [15:09] <Pheats> Erk, ok Im Pheats, Director of ARK events, I lead the team that runs the events and try to keep things running as best as possible
    [15:10] <Maleachi> Okay, seems that it's my turn in the barrel now. Well, I am Maleachi, I'm the Training Coordinator in the Events Team and my main job is to train new Eventeers and ARKlings who want to participate in our events. Other than that I help out where it is needed.
    [15:11] <Rainys> Erk...well my turn..Im Rainys, Guardian in Events, I just help out where it needed for the moment aaand run around having fun with events and so on. and just....Yeah thats about it..
    [15:13] <Zeenab> Greetings there everyone! Yes, as you might have guessed, it comes with the "Z" I am the last in team, Advisor. Lowest in rank in team and I pretty much participate in LTCs/train lower ranks somtimes in RPing/Do an event/etc.... All rounder you would say, yes. That is it.
    [15:13] <Kintaii^> (zee is awesome do not think otherwise)
    [15:13] <Kintaii^> Now, we've already gotten a lot of questions so we'll begin opening the floor here in just a second
    [15:13] <Kintaii^> Before we begin though, based on the questions received I feel I should state this:
    [15:14] <Kintaii^> This is an *EVENTS*/Player meeting, not really a Developer/Player meeting. The only questions we'll be answering today are about the storyline and roleplaying scene of Anarchy Online - Not anything about the rebalancing, the graphics engine, the rebalancing, etc. etc.
    [15:14] <Kintaii^> 'cause I ain't cleared to talk about stuff you guys haven't heard already anyway. ;P
    [15:14] <Kintaii^> ... and hey, I said rebalancing twice, awesome.
    [15:15] <Kintaii^> Change that to 'instances' or something whatever.
    [15:15] <Kintaii^> ANYHOO!
    [15:15] <Kintaii^> Let's get this party started.
    [15:15] * Kintaii^ sets mode: -m
    [15:15] <Kintaii^> Pheats, our first question please.
    [15:15] <Pheats> Just want to point out this isnt the ENTIRE events team, we do have others that couldn't attend today
    [15:15] <Kintaii^> Aye, this isn't all of us. ;P
    [15:16] <MstrBstrd> :>
    [15:16] <Kintaii^> (oh yeah and mstrbstrd is our official gimp)
    [15:17] <MstrBstrd> pfh. just Mstr. of most things.
    [15:17] <Pheats> Ok first question is from Windguaerd: Is there a set amount of events per server that the Events Team prepare ahead of time for each month?
    [15:17] <Pheats> Other than the monthly meetings the short answer is no
    [15:18] <Kintaii^> The Events team has always been pretty free-wheeling when it comes to that sort of thing. Usually we prepare storylines and then dole out events as the storyline requires.
    [15:19] <Kintaii^> So its not like people sit down and say "Ok, we're going to have fifteen total events this month - this is exactly what needs to happen".
    [15:19] <Pheats> because of the voluntary nature of events work its inplausible to set up a schedule for events, instead its down to when we can find time to do things and get people to help
    [15:19] <Kintaii^> More like "This is the overview, here's what we wanna accomplish - Do what you need to get done."
    [15:20] <Masuraki> !
    [15:20] <Kintaii^> Yes, Masuraki?
    [15:20] <Pheats> Go ahead Masuraki
    [15:21] <Masuraki> so that acctuly affects when events are taken place timewise ?
    [15:22] <Masuraki> meaning you cant anounce a few days in advance or so when an event is gona take place
    [15:22] <Pheats> Very much, unfortunately we don't have (that many) people who are up to staying up untill mid morning to run events, its unfortunate but such is the way with timezones
    [15:22] <Windguaerd> !
    [15:22] <Maleachi> Announcing events is a problem in most cases, because in most cases the dealings and stories cannot be announced without breaking character.
    [15:22] <Namiru> !
    [15:22] <enilias> !
    [15:22] <Rhus> !
    [15:23] <Masuraki> -!
    [15:23] <Pheats> Thats not to say we can't set up events before hand, but we generally wont be able to set up a full months worth up at once (as who knows whats going to happen in life in weeks times)
    [15:23] <Maleachi> A bank robber for example will not announce his task. I know that this makes events a hit or miss thing in many cases, but I think doing it otherwise would take away too much from it.
    [15:23] <Saetos> !
    [15:24] <Kintaii^> That said, there *are* certain types of events which don't preclude some form of announcement - This is one of the reasons we've created the forums LTC accounts, and are also looking into other ways of announcing certain types of events.
    [15:24] <Saetos> disregard
    [15:24] <Kintaii^> But in the majority of cases, no - It's hideously character-breaking to announce a lot of the events that we do, and I don't wanna see us break that barrier.
    [15:25] <Kintaii^> Anything else, Masuraki?
    [15:25] <Ariensky> !
    [15:25] <Masuraki> i think i got my answerd questions but i still find there are other ways to anounce events whit out braking charecter, like having rumors spread around or something
    [15:26] <Ciyanid> !
    [15:26] <Denali> !
    [15:26] <Kintaii^> This works for things that are more major storylines, yes, and we've done that sort of thing before.
    [15:26] <Kintaii^> But like Maleachi said, a lot of our events are just one-off "dude's robbing a bank" stuff, and that's much harder to plan/advertise for.
    [15:27] <Pheats> even as rumours, it generally takes more work to spread such a rumour than it would to do the event
    [15:27] <Kintaii^> Yep. ><
    [15:27] <Pheats> I think we'll move onto Windguaerd's comment now
    [15:27] <Windguaerd> Masa, sometimes they CAN do it. For example they used the CoT Meeting to let clanners know about and event, and then it was up to us the players to spread the word about the date and time. Kintaii, there should do that a LOT more often, we can spread the word faster than any single LTC. You don't want to break the barrier, but by avoiding that you also cut us off by not getting the word about an event to all roleplayers. There is a lack of participation, because nobody get's notified about events in time. You can have 2 people show up, or 30. I pick 30.
    [15:28] <Windguaerd> Diamondcut did it in the old days, we spread the word about events he told a few of us.
    [15:28] <Windguaerd> And then, everyone had fun.
    [15:29] <Kintaii^> Yes, but again, that's a larger-scale storyline.
    [15:29] <Windguaerd> End of comment.
    [15:29] <Kintaii^> We've done that for things since then - I know because I've done it myself for events I was involved with. ;P
    [15:29] <Kintaii^> Like I said, it's easy to do it for something that's part of a "big plan". But when it's a simple one-off event (like the aforementioned bank robbery) then it's usually something that's run more 'spur of the moment' and doesn't have any pre-existing storyline in-game to back it up with.
    [15:29] <Pheats> I also have to point out it HAS been tried for smaller stuff, and failed spectacularly as no one seemed to want to give information to others, even when asked specifically to do so
    [15:31] <Kintaii^> Anything else on that comment, Windguaerd?
    [15:31] <Windguaerd> Not regarding this question. Thank you.
    [15:31] <Kintaii^> Cool.
    [15:31] <Pheats> Ok then Namiru, your floor.
    [15:32] <Namiru> I'd just like to note that no forewarning really hamstrings the people that want to be involved in RP Events. Rubi-ka is a big place, even when you exclude the Shadowlands and the Wilderzones. Finding an event (even if you know it's going on at that time) is "needle and a haystack" searching. You factor in that you don't know WHEN it's happening, and most people will (and have) give up trying.
    [15:32] <Kintaii^> ( We're closing comments for this question, just for the record - Don't wanna spend all day on the one topic. )
    [15:33] <Pheats> Well I want to point out we dont expect people to wander the wilderness to hope to find events there, we know the way the population is spread so even if the event IS in the middle of no where, it will be announced in the major cities in some fashion
    [15:33] <Maleachi> We are aware of that and we try to announce events when and where we can. Just one comment about them: The events are not meant to be the be all and end all of RP on the servers, they are meant as a hookup point to get you involved and to give you chances to start your own stories and events.
    [15:34] <Kintaii^> Again, that's one of the reasons why we've started the forum LTC accounts and are looking at other options for announcing events - I mean, I agree with you completely, but there's also a fine line in how far we can actually *go*. Part of the impetus *has* to lie on the player to try and get involved, by doing things like meeting LTCs at the OTAM/CoT and such. There are ways to start getting involved that don't rely on stumbling across
    [15:34] <Kintaii^> n stumbling across a random event somewhere. =)
    [15:34] <Kintaii^> Anything else on that comment, Namiru?
    [15:34] <Namiru> No, that was it.
    [15:35] <Kintaii^> enilias, your comment please?
    [15:35] <enilias> How about the news channel to get people to gather? Omni-Tek might ask for volunteers to assist in a sensitive case they're not ready to divulge details on yet, for example.
    [15:35] <Pheats> I assume you mean the newswire broadcasts/
    [15:35] <enilias> yep
    [15:35] <Rainys> It has been done several times, but i would personaly say its always depending on the event.
    [15:35] <Pheats> We do infact use that as much as we can to announce events (when its working...)
    [15:36] <Kintaii^> We're looking at increasing some of the functionality of the newswire as well. I don't want to say exactly *what* yet as it's all still in the formative stages, but it *is* a good resource to find out about events-related stuff even now.
    [15:36] <Pheats> It has worked quite well but at the same time not everyone always takes notice of them.
    [15:37] <Pheats> having it enabled in your chat with a noticeable text colour may help with it.
    [15:37] <Maleachi> Same goes for the zone wide broadcasts we've done.
    [15:37] <Kintaii^> Anything else on your comment, enilias?
    [15:37] <enilias> no that was all, thank you
    [15:37] <Kintaii^> Rhus, you're up.
    [15:37] <Rhus> Are there any ideal times to be on the lookout for Events then? Like x and y hours GMT type of thing?
    [15:39] <Kintaii^> We're a pretty multi-national group, so not really no. We're all over the place, so we're in a lot of different time zones.
    [15:39] <Rhus> k, thanks
    [15:39] <Kintaii^> Looks like... Ariensky's up next.
    [15:40] <Ariensky> Dear Brad, I understand why you don't want to break the barier on announcing events ahead, but some times you must take the real world into consideration, that most people/players have not seen an event.. Announcing an event on the forum once in a while.. 1 a month? might introduce some new people
    [15:40] <Ariensky> As you mention, speading rumors take more work than the event..
    [15:40] <Ariensky> ..and only people knowing someone that has heard the rumor will get it.
    [15:40] <Ariensky> New players are stranded in AO, if they want to RP.
    [15:40] <Ariensky> one event a month announced on the forum would not hurt I think.
    [15:40] <Ariensky> -Over-
    [15:41] <Kintaii^> Well, that's the thing - There *are* announced events in that sense. There's the OTAM/CoT meetings every month that people know about and can attend. They're great ways of not only meeting LTC/Legacy characters but also a good way to *network* with other RPers. And those we do announce every month.
    Last edited by Windguaerd; Jul 25th, 2010 at 23:45:31.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

[15:41] <Kintaii^> Something *outside* of that...? Maybe not a bad idea, but it'd have to be something we'd have to put a lot of thought into within the team on exactly how to go about it.
    [15:42] <Tucxedo> !
    [15:42] <Brazen> !
    [15:42] <Pheats> (would point out comments are closed until next question, sorry)
    [15:42] <Ariensky> Yes BoD are open, but boreing as hell as your first RP event. Thank you for taking it into consideration, -over and out-
    [15:42] <Maleachi> On a sidenote: There's a character limit in IRC, so if you've tried to send me a whole story in one go it might not have gone through. Try to split it up.
    [15:43] <Kintaii^> Let's see... Ciyanid, go ahead. =)
    [15:45] <Kintaii^> Ciyanid, you still with us? ;P
    [15:46] <Kintaii^> Alright, we'll move along - As a note!! If you have posted a ! for commenting, *please* go ahead and have your comment typed up and ready when we call on you
    [15:46] <Kintaii^> Makes things a lot quicker. XD
    [15:46] <Kintaii^> Denali, you had a comment?
    [15:46] <Agrestus> (psst, trying to get her awake again, she went away on another chat thingy, sorry)
    [15:46] <Denali> What about using the existing in-game IRRK newswire, or something similar to spread word of events? I've seen that done a few times already, and thought it was great
    [15:47] <Kintaii^> (if they come back, they can comment after denali)
    [15:47] <Kintaii^> Well, as we said earlier we've used the IRRK newswire in that capacity before, and we *are* currently looking to expand some of its functionality a bit.
    [15:47] <Pheats> Err wasn't that what enilias just asked?
    [15:47] <Denali> Alright, thanks
    [15:47] <Kintaii^> But yeah, that's more or less what enilias just asked so we've already given a response to that particular question. XD
    [15:48] <Kintaii^> Ciyanid, you got 30 seconds to come back before we head on to the next question. =)
    [15:48] <Denali> Thought i scrolled back up to check it hadn't been answered before hitting send, but meh ><
    [15:48] <Ciyanid> Sorry! O_O
    [15:48] <Kintaii^> XD
    [15:48] <Windguaerd> 30 seconds of mayhem!
    [15:48] <Kintaii^> Welcome back!
    [15:48] <Kintaii^> Your comment, please. =)
    [15:48] * Windguaerd is sad, no mayhem
    [15:49] * Pheats plays the countdown music
    [15:49] <Ciyanid> I actually got answer to my "question" already.
    [15:49] <Kintaii^> *nodnods*
    [15:49] <Ciyanid> So nothing from me, continue^^
    [15:49] <Pheats> Ok then, onto the second question! (after 50 minutes)
    [15:49] <Pheats> From Namiru: When are you planning to continue/resume overall AO storylines, such as the OT Occupation of Borealis and the Clan takeover of 4 Holes?
    [15:50] * Windguaerd looks at Pheats and thinks he may be the next Alex Trebec of AO
    [15:50] <Kintaii^> Ok
    [15:50] <Kintaii^> Lemme take a second here
    [15:50] <Kintaii^> First off, to directly answer your question: We are planning to continue that storyline Soon (tm)
    [15:50] <Kintaii^> Now there's a reason there's a (tm) there
    [15:50] * Rainys nods
    [15:50] <Kintaii^> There's a big old document that the Events guys wrote up under my direction outlining a plan for the next several months of AO
    [15:50] <Kintaii^> It's a good document
    [15:50] <Kintaii^> Hell of a plan
    [15:51] <Kintaii^> It was my job to then take that document and break it down into manageable tasks and create a complete "overview" of how we're going to go about doing what we wanna do
    [15:51] <Kintaii^> I took this document with me on vacation a couple of weeks ago, while Macrosun, Genele, MstrBstrd, Iriche and myself were sailing.
    [15:51] <Kintaii^> I got work done, it was great.
    [15:51] <Kintaii^> Then, on the last day of the trip, I left a window open in my berth.
    [15:51] <Kintaii^> It rained.
    [15:52] <Kintaii^> My laptop was directly underneath said window.
    [15:52] <Kintaii^> ... you can see where this is going.
    [15:52] <lasliana> !
    [15:52] <Windguaerd> !
    [15:52] <Kintaii^> So it's more or less the digital equivilant of "the dog ate my homework" :P
    [15:52] * Iriche guarantees that this happend.
    [15:52] <Windguaerd> remove my !
    [15:52] <lasliana> (remove mine too, you said what i thougt)
    [15:52] <Windguaerd> !
    [15:52] <Kintaii^> We DO have a plan, we *do* have a place we're going. And we're very close to getting there.
    [15:52] <Ariensky> !
    [15:52] <Kintaii^> I just need to find a little time to rewrite the document. :P
    [15:53] <Kintaii^> Initial movement has already begun, however, and the bigger changes should start happening within the next month or two.
    [15:53] <Pheats> Though we have started sneaking tiny bits of it out already, while waiting for kintaii
    [15:53] <Kintaii^> Yep. It's already started - You guys just don't have enough information yet to recognize it. =)
    [15:53] <Kintaii^> Windguaerd, your comment?
    [15:54] <Windguaerd> In this age, not having a backup, specially from a dev, hard to believe, no offense Kintaii. I got backups of important docs on free online space, on a flash drive, another puter with a pw...
    [15:54] <Kintaii^> I'm not That Nerd (tm)
    [15:54] <Kintaii^> Sorry dude
    [15:54] <Kintaii^> 'sides, I was on a boat. :P
    [15:54] <Windguaerd> Damn, i keel you.
    [15:54] * Rainys chuckles
    [15:54] <Windguaerd> But the original document was done in Norway, no?
    [15:54] <Pheats> the keel goes in the water!
    [15:54] <Kintaii^> If I'd been at work, yeah - It would have been on one of the internal drives which gets backed up.
    [15:54] <Kintaii^> Oh, yeah, the original document's still around
    [15:54] <Kintaii^> Just not the *plotting* created from that document
    [15:54] <Pheats> the original document was done in my bedroom actually...
    [15:55] <Kintaii^> So it's not hard for me to redo the work, I just need some time.
    [15:55] <Windguaerd> Ah then the original doc is safe... copy it! FLASH DRIVE! ask a nerd from the dev team pls pls pls!
    [15:55] <Kintaii^> It's on an internal wiki site - It ain't goin' nowhere. X
    [15:55] <Kintaii^> XD
    [15:55] <Maleachi> Hopefully.
    [15:55] <Windguaerd> End of comment. Again, I keel Kintaai.
    [15:55] <Kintaii^> Yes, hopefully. ><
    [15:55] <Kintaii^> Fingers crossed, knocking on wood, etc. etc.
    [15:55] <Pheats> Ok Ariensky your up
    [15:56] <Ariensky> it costs 2.000$ to get it restored at a professional lab, they CAN fix it..
    [15:56] <Ariensky> They can get data out of harddisks from a fire, water is usually nothing.
    [15:56] <Namiru> Okay, becuase us old skool Neutrals have been spitting blood now for YEARS about it. It's really seemed lie you were spinning your wheels and not going anywhere. The neutral communiy has lost some of it's key RPers who got bored while waiting for things to continue. Many were pissed at that storyline in the first place because it disrupted RP events already in place (i.e. The borealis elections on RK1)
    [15:56] <Ariensky> Good to know if you have months of work "lost".
    [15:56] <Ariensky> -Over-
    [15:56] <Pheats> what was lost wasn't months of work, it was just the work kintaii did on his week off.
    [15:57] <Tucxedo> !
    [15:57] <Kintaii^> Yeah, this was my personal laptop, not a company machine
    [15:58] <Kintaii^> It's not, like, months of work - I could probably bang it all out again in a day or two
    [15:58] <Kintaii^> It's just finding that "day or two" to do it. There's a *reason* I did this while I was on vacation. :P
    [15:58] <Kintaii^> Anyhoo, Tucxedo, your comment?
    [15:58] <Tucxedo> can we move on?
    [15:59] <Pheats> well we would have if after that last comment if there hadn't been another comment
    [15:59] <Kintaii^> Pretty much. Way to defeat your own purpose, guy. =D
    [15:59] <Pheats> Ok next question is from Saetos: What can we expect from future PVM events? Can we expect monsters to drop their damage shields, for instance? Charm effects to be more controlled?
    [16:00] <Pheats> My first comment is, what do you mean by charm effects?
    [16:00] <Saetos> By charm effects, the 12-man style of charms. Oftentimes a mob will enable players to attack other players regardless of level or PVP flag (or lack of).
    [16:01] <enilias> !
    [16:01] <Kintaii^> We have actually used that, in our Halloween events last year. But it's something that we keep a really, really tight reign on.
    [16:01] <Pheats> Well the Events characters should no longer do that (unintentionally anyway, we may do it intentionally now and then)
    [16:01] <Pheats> oh wait you meant the confuse effect
    [16:01] <enilias> -!
    [16:01] <Saetos> Yea.
    [16:01] <Kintaii^> (for the record, its referred to internally as 'mind control')
    [16:02] <Saetos> If I know what's going on and I know peopel are being charmed I have no issue with it, I'll stay away. But if I'm getting buffs and just running into a city and bam, I'm being attacked on my level 130 MA by a 190 keeper with a frikkin Blade of Khione, then lose 3-5 mil XP, then yea
    [16:02] <Pheats> well there is a limit to what we can do with that with out current system of using it, we can only control who it gets applied to, not who the character then decides to attack
    [16:02] <Saetos> That's cool.
    [16:03] <Pheats> that said, we rarely use it
    [16:03] <Pheats> I mean VERY rarely
    [16:03] <Pheats> a couple times a year rarely.
    [16:03] * sezmra is now known as sezmraDJ
    [16:03] <Kintaii^> It's one of those things where they more or less need direct approval from me before they can use it. We keep stuff like that on a fairly tight leash, particularly while it's 'new'.
    [16:04] <Pheats> mainly because it is so potentially fun destroying if used incorrectly
    [16:04] <Pheats> As for the rest of the question by PVM I assume you mean the ARK characters not the regular NPC's?
    [16:04] <Saetos> Hmm. I'm not quite sure if that's what we both mean
    [16:05] <Pheats> Generally we have very little control NPC wise, its a case of dropping them in and letting them do what they do
    [16:05] <Saetos> If there's a monster that's designated as the event mob and people are supposed to kill it dead, recently I've seen it have this gigantic reflect/damage shield.
    [16:05] <Saetos> As in if you're not 210-220 and teamed and well-geared, you'll get hurt badly[15:34] <Namiru> No, that was it.
    [15:35] <Kintaii^> enilias, your comment please?
    [15:35] <enilias> How about the news channel to get people to gather? Omni-Tek might ask for volunteers to assist in a sensitive case they're not ready to divulge details on yet, for example.
    [15:35] <Pheats> I assume you mean the newswire broadcasts/
    [15:35] <enilias> yep
    [15:35] <Rainys> It has been done several times, but i would personaly say its always depending on the event.
    [15:35] <Pheats> We do infact use that as much as we can to announce events (when its working...)
    [15:36] <Kintaii^> We're looking at increasing some of the functionality of the newswire as well. I don't want to say exactly *what* yet as it's all still in the formative stages, but it *is* a good resource to find out about events-related stuff even now.
    [15:36] <Pheats> It has worked quite well but at the same time not everyone always takes notice of them.
    [15:37] <Pheats> having it enabled in your chat with a noticeable text colour may help with it.
    [15:37] <Maleachi> Same goes for the zone wide broadcasts we've done.
    [15:37] <Kintaii^> Anything else on your comment, enilias?
    [15:37] <enilias> no that was all, thank you
    [15:37] <Kintaii^> Rhus, you're up.
    [15:37] <Rhus> Are there any ideal times to be on the lookout for Events then? Like x and y hours GMT type of thing?
    [15:39] <Kintaii^> We're a pretty multi-national group, so not really no. We're all over the place, so we're in a lot of different time zones.
    [15:39] <Rhus> k, thanks
    [15:39] <Kintaii^> Looks like... Ariensky's up next.
    [15:40] <Ariensky> Dear Brad, I understand why you don't want to break the barier on announcing events ahead, but some times you must take the real world into consideration, that most people/players have not seen an event.. Announcing an event on the forum once in a while.. 1 a month? might introduce some new people
    [15:40] <Ariensky> As you mention, speading rumors take more work than the event..
    [15:40] <Ariensky> ..and only people knowing someone that has heard the rumor will get it.
    [15:40] <Ariensky> New players are stranded in AO, if they want to RP.
    [15:40] <Ariensky> one event a month announced on the forum would not hurt I think.
    [15:40] <Ariensky> -Over-
    [15:41] <Kintaii^> Well, that's the thing - There *are* announced events in that sense. There's the OTAM/CoT meetings every month that people know about and can attend. They're great ways of not only meeting LTC/Legacy characters but also a good way to *network* with other RPers. And those we do announce every month.
    [16:06] <Pheats> specially if its dropping into the middle of an event where regular npc's have a life expectancy less than a microsecond
    [16:06] <Saetos> Well, I don't mind the reflect shield
    [16:06] <Pheats> As for the actual events characters, well there are lots of things to take into account
    [16:06] <Saetos> What I don't really care for is the damage that comes *from* that that just utterly rips apart anyone that's TL1-TL5
    [16:07] <Pheats> First of all each eventer will tend to run the event their own way, I personally like to start off strong and adjust things as it goes on, I know some have prefered to start weaker and just roll with it.
    [16:08] <Zeenab> Do remember events are made for several people, not one or two or three. Yes, the shield is huge, but it balances with the current audience - at least we try to.
    [16:08] <Saetos> I had a 206 shade that was rather badly equipped (I'll admit) so her total HP score was aroud 7.5k. Every six swings I'd have to stop for about 2 minutes to heal up
    Last edited by Windguaerd; Jul 26th, 2010 at 00:01:45.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

[16:08] <Maleachi> Sadly, that's game mechanics, we try to balance it out so that the STs and NPCs pose a threat to all level ranges, sadly we are limited there and thus yes the low levels tend to get slaughtered, we try our best and usually we go for the high levels first
    [16:09] <Pheats> secondly, yeah in a lot of these events the characters have to fight more people then anything else in the game, hence why they often drastically reduce damage incomming, to even it out a bit (and give lower levels a chance to contribute)
    [16:09] <Saetos> No no, I don't mind the damage reduction against the NPC, I perfectly understand that.
    [16:09] <Saetos> It's being hit for 800 points of damage every time you swing for like... 170
    [16:09] <Pheats> The reflects, when they do have damage will scale with level, if its returning 1k damage to a 220 its unlikely that a level 10 is going to be getting 1k damage returned, simply because they can't do that much to it in the first place
    [16:10] <Saetos> The damage shield's a good idea, but it hits way, way too hard as it is
    [16:10] <Pheats> as the damage returned is directly linked to the damage dealt to the mob
    [16:10] <Saetos> That's all, really
    [16:10] <Zeenab> If we take off the damage shield or reduce it to say... 100 or so. Then it won't be an actual threat. Would you have fun when bunching a sandbag or when you actually face a threat?
    [16:10] <Pheats> so if your only capable of hitting 400 damage hits, your not suddenly going to be getting 1k back
    [16:11] <Saetos> But if a 206 shade with 7.5k HP (and they can't get a lot more) swings for 1300, they're going to be murdered
    [16:11] <Pheats> indeed, and as I said things will be adjusted if we see issues in most cases, though that said its hard enough killing any of you as it is
    [16:12] <Saetos> Heh, I guess it is
    [16:12] <Denali> !
    [16:12] <Saetos> All I'm gonna say after that is look at Ian Warr
    [16:12] <Pheats> when you have 6 level 220 docs in an event its pretty hard to get anyones health down
    [16:12] <Saetos> weak version of a perfect raid boss
    [16:12] <Saetos> I r done
    [16:12] <Pheats> Ok Denali?
    [16:13] <Pheats> We'll move onto the next question after denali's comment
    [16:13] <Denali> Just throwing some ideas out: what about intead of a reflect that hits back for way more than you hit the mob, give the mob the ability to heal up every now and then? that would let people do damage to it but it won't die within 10 seconds, and the fight can drag on until everyone's had a chance to feel like they've done some fighting
    [16:13] <Denali> ./end
    [16:14] <Pheats> I would just point out that the shield will NEVER hit for more than you put in
    [16:14] <Pheats> at best it will do 99% of the damage you put in
    [16:14] <Saetos> !
    [16:15] <Pheats> of course then your damage is subject to reductions after that, but the base damage is used to calculate how much you get back
    [16:15] <Saetos> -! disregard
    [16:15] <Pheats> as for healing, sometimes we do intend to heal but then the mobs take so much damage they die before we get it off, or we have to heal a huge amount that makes it look like everything done untill that point was pointless
    [16:17] <Pheats> but its always an experiment to find out what works during which event, the players arriving can have a huge factor, specially if we planned for defenses to go down depending on certain actions.
    [16:17] * Kintaii^ sets mode: +o Maleachi
    [16:17] <Pheats> Now onto the next question
    [16:17] <Denali> Yeah, i can understand that. Fair enough
    [16:17] <Pheats> Pinkeltje asks: How, if at all, can players or player driven events have an effect on the overall storyline? And if there is an effect, is it bound to the server it took place or will it propagate to the other server(s) as well?
    [16:19] <Kintaii^> It depends on the event, at least on FC's end. I mean, this is one of those things where we *do* sorta have to say "It's our world, you're playing in it". No matter how awesome the player event is, we won't let someone up and, say, kill Silverstone. There are limitations to this sort of thing.
    [16:19] <Saetos> !
    [16:19] <Kintaii^> But there have been cases where something that a player group has done that has snuck into the storyline proper - The cyborg tokenboards are a great example, as that was something that the R.U.R guys were behind back in the day.
    [16:20] <Pinkeltje> !
    [16:20] <Namiru> !
    [16:20] <Kintaii^> I tend to keep track of what you guys are up to as much as I can - This *is* one of the reasons that I want to try and encourage people to 'decentralize' from the game and start using resources like our official forums more often, though, in that it makes us easier to keep track of what *you* guys are up to
    [16:21] <Kintaii^> Otherwise we'd have to have a spy character perma-logged in the org channel of every RPing group out there, and sorry to say but that ain't happening. ;P
    [16:21] <Pheats> Its also why I keep trying to get you all to mail stuff in, its hard to keep track if you dont tell us.
    [16:21] <Kintaii^> The more that we're *aware* of what you're up to, the more we can work around and with it.
    [16:21] <Kintaii^> So yeah, again, part of the impetus is on you guys too - If you want us to be aware of what you're up to, then you need to come to us and tell us.
    [16:22] <Kintaii^> Make sure we stay informed. That's *your* job.
    [16:22] <Kintaii^> Saetos, you're up first.
    [16:22] <Saetos> Well, you can still have something like that, once the RP-flag on accounts gets working again - you could have, for example, Agents and Shades that're willing to be part of an event be able to assassinate certain characters, like drug lords or something. Make it like a PVM (or even PVP) encounter, where they have to kill a central NPC and not get noticed by or dodge his lackeys. Never would have to be Silverstone, that is pretty outlandi
    [16:22] <Kintaii^> You got cut off at "that is pretty outlandi"
    [16:22] <Pinkeltje> disregard my !
    [16:22] <Saetos> there was nothing after outlandish
    [16:23] <Kintaii^> Aye, but at that point that's not really "official storyline".
    [16:23] <Kintaii^> I kinda look at it like this:
    [16:23] <Kintaii^> There are two layers to storyline in AO
    [16:23] <Pheats> Such events have happened before Saetos, its just hard to get them running in a fashion that makes them feel its important (as it generally wont be)
    [16:23] <Kintaii^> There's "Official Storyline (tm)" and then there's "storyline"
    [16:23] <Saetos> Well if it has to be Silverstone to drive the plot forward, it can be
    [16:24] <Kintaii^> "Official Storyline (tm)" is the high-level stuff. It's getting a new CEO for Omni-Tek. It's killing off Silverstone. It's Borealis burning to the ground. That sort of thing
    [16:24] <Saetos> Just saying, player interaction, something to make them feel like "Hey, I did x and y to z side, I pushed the story forward"
    [16:24] <Kintaii^> (for the record, none of those are on the plate they're just examples :P)
    [16:24] <Saetos> right
    [16:24] <Pinkeltje> !
    [16:24] <Saetos> ... Borealis burning to the ground would be earth-shaking ;p
    [16:24] <Kintaii^> Then there's "storyline", which is the day-to-day *life* on Rubi-Ka. Which is what we get from *you* guys.
    [16:24] <Kintaii^> And that?
    [16:24] <Kintaii^> That's harder to control than anything else. :P
    [16:24] <Ariensky> !
    [16:25] <Saetos> Heh, that's perfectly fine But let us in your little club of events for a one-off every now and then, and we'll be a happy bunch. But about that, can we confirm a fix to the RP flag on accoutns?
    [16:25] <Saetos> After that, I'm done
    [16:26] <Kintaii^> I can't confirm it, unfortunately, as our tools guy is hideously overloaded at the moment and it's a very low-priority thing on his task list. :\
    [16:26] <Saetos> Mkay :/
    [16:26] <Kintaii^> I wish I could say that there's a defined time-table on that sort of thing, but he's doing everything he can with all the tasks he has.
    [16:26] <Pheats> Would point out that those that were signed up before it was gone are still on our list
    [16:26] <Kintaii^> Namiru, you're up.
    [16:26] <Saetos> I"d love dearly to get on that list by any means. -!
    [16:27] * Maleachi takes notes "Kill Saetos on sight, he wanted that."
    [16:27] <Kintaii^> Yeah, next time Saetos logs on, someone go gank him 'k?
    [16:27] <Saetos> :<
    [16:27] <Windguaerd> !
    [16:27] * Maleachi grins
    [16:27] <Namiru> I'd like to point out that getting FunCom events staff involved in a player organized RP event has been problematic at best in my own experience.
    [16:28] <Pheats> Funcom has events staff?
    [16:28] <Kintaii^> We got volunteers.
    [16:28] <Kintaii^> FC's "events staff" pretty much consists of "me". ><
    [16:28] <Pheats> problematic how namiru?
    [16:29] <Ciassene> Events "Kintaii" Staff
    [16:29] <Kintaii^> (i am also a designer, a member of community management, a volunteer manager, official ao forums wrangler, a writer, a bug stomper, and means personal whuppin' boy ;P)
    [16:29] <Agrestus> !
    [16:29] <Kintaii^> (i do textures sometimes too)
    [16:30] <Namiru> One time we were trying to stage an event as the Newland City Council some point after LE came out where we were going to do a "bounty" exchange on AI gen drop "junk" items. One of us was trying to get it quasi-"officialized" and put on the IRRK news, and event kept dragging out the process until eventually Berael, who's idea this was, stopped out of sheer frusteration.
    [16:30] <Pheats> (going to be closing comments for this question now, agrestus will be the last for this one)
    [16:31] <Namiru> In general, trying to get FC involved means small RP events like that never happen, or if they do it's so late in the game they aren't plot relavent anymore.
    [16:31] <Pheats> I have to admit, things havn't been clear in the past in how to get things to us, that said we HAVE tried to make it a lot easier for you lot to get it to us
    [16:32] <Pheats> for example in this thread in the 4th wall (which is in the 4th wall info page at the top) http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=576126
    [16:32] <Kintaii^> Aye, part of the initiative with the whole Fourth Wall forum is that we're trying to increase the communication lines between players and ARK Events.
    [16:32] * Namiru nods
    [16:32] <Namiru> I'll look into it. End of comment.
    [16:32] <Pheats> In many MANY cases we've had players complain that we have not helped or got involved when we have had no direct contact from the players setting it up
    [16:33] <Kintaii^> I wanna take a second and digress here before we go on to the next comment
    [16:33] <Pheats> We NEED to be informed if you want us to help, we are not mind readers...
    [16:33] <Kintaii^> Please, please, please, please, *please* - If you haven't yet, head over to the Fourth Wall. Read, post, make new threads; populate the area. Get some life goin' on in there.
    [16:34] <Kintaii^> Again, we *want* to talk to you guys about stuff. But you also need to start being more proactive and coming to *us*. Stuff like the 4thW forum are a good means of doing that.
    [16:34] <Brazen> can froobs post?
    [16:34] <Kintaii^> Start spreading the word, point people to it, start making threads and posting and talking about everything going on in-game. The more activity there the better.
    [16:34] <Kintaii^> Brazen: If you have any further comments, please post "!" and we will get to you in turn.
    [16:35] <Kintaii^> But, to answer your question, no - Froobs may purchase forums accounts for a nominal fee, however.
    [16:36] <Kintaii^> Pinkeltje, I think you're up next?
    [16:37] <Pinkeltje> So, for example, to have one or several neutral and/or clan organisations make an attack on Bor to regain control from OT, this is not something that could be done by the playerbase? It is all orchestrated by you?
    [16:37] <Kintaii^> You're welcome to *make* an attack, but until we're ready to actually do something along those lines (not saying we *will*, for the record) then the attack would be a great way of showing outrage but little more.
    [16:38] <Kintaii^> Unless you can round up enough players to take on the entirety of the OTAF and the Unicorns, whos numbers are somewhere in the 'eleventy bajillions'. ;P
    [16:38] <Saetos> !
    [16:38] <Kintaii^> (comments on this question are closed, sorry)
    [16:38] <Saetos> sorry -!
    [16:39] <Pheats> yeah your free to plan attacks and such, but for the most part ingame things wont change (that would require funcom doing patching and such so...)
    [16:39] <Pinkeltje> (and btw, about the 4th wall... if i hadn't stumbled upon it while browsing the forums, I wouldn't have known about it. I thought the dimension forums had their own rp place)
    [16:39] <Pheats> It will give interesting things to talk about at meetings and in general roleplay but the guards will still respawn
    [16:40] <Pinkeltje> ok, my question is answered
    [16:40] <Kintaii^> Ariensky?
    [16:40] <Ariensky> "My org was hired to guard Ross for his speech"
    [16:40] <Ariensky> An example of something that was remembered and made the player feel he had an impact on the world.
    [16:40] <Ariensky> Not story changing, but it makes people feel they are part of history.
    [16:40] <Ariensky> Ross' speech when he was shot, the following execution..
    [16:40] <Ariensky> We were there, we did not change anything, but we were there, and it was real earth-shaking events.. and they were announced so a lot could attend
    [16:41] <Ariensky> The world felt alive and changing.
    [16:41] <Ariensky> The timeline, in the start was also filled with things that people knew, had attended or at least knew of.
    [16:41] <Ariensky> Now it is mostly a RP explanation of new things coming.
    [16:41] <enilias> !
    [16:41] <Ariensky> (On that note: please give some RP explanation on coming expansions, boosters, instances in advance, so they are coming, not that they are suddently there from one day to the other.
    [16:41] <Ariensky> Reading what you have already typed, I will talk with my org about being hired to protect an events charecter and send a mail
    [16:41] <Kintaii^> (again, comments for this question are closed)
    [16:41] <Ariensky> (On players raiding cities: it indeed has been done, clearing out the guards, taking the city, and the other side rushing in.. a great anf fun event indeed, when done )
    [16:41] <Ariensky> -Over-
    [16:42] <catcrab> !
    [16:42] <Kintaii^> (omg i just said comments are closed)
    [16:42] <Tucxedo> !
    [16:42] <Pheats> Well hopefully we can get things more involved Arien, and more flowing when we get things going again

[16:42] <Kintaii^> For the record: The story arch we're preparing for *is* the new direction for Anarchy Online in the future... and will be tying in heavily to any future expansions/boosters we might be planning.
    [16:43] <Pheats> Windguaerd your up next
    [16:43] <Windguaerd> Froobs can purchase forum accounts? wasn't aware of that one, I thought it was related to having a subscription account, could you elaborate? Regarding the RP account flag, once it's fixed, why not do a reset, then promote it on the official forums, mention it in the launcher and then get an up-to-date list of people interested? End of Comment.
    [16:43] <Maleachi> If you absolutely have to voice your comments after comments have been closed, please send them to me. They will be taken into account in the internal summary of this meeting.
    [16:44] <Kintaii^> You can find more about the froob forum account thing on the forums, so I won't go into to much detail here as it's really outside the scope of this meeting.
    [16:44] * Windguaerd nods
    [16:44] <Kintaii^> As for the RP flag, I don't know about doing a "reset" but I would like to promote it if and when we get it fixed. Being more or less 'the community dude' for AO these days, I have a lot of leeway in that area and will be promoting RPing more heavily in the future.
    [16:45] * Windguaerd applauds
    [16:45] <Windguaerd> About mofo time, pardon the language.
    [16:45] * Windguaerd stays quiet now
    [16:45] <Kintaii^> Agrestus, you're up. =)
    [16:45] <Pheats> though would point out that its an ACCOUNT flag not a character flag, so the list will always be populated by non RP chars so hard for us to single people out for very specific things
    [16:46] <Agrestus> just a quick silly comment on Kintaii's one man FC events.. employ me kintaii! i'll work for free! :P (but yeah, on the talk of storyline suggestions, it's quite difficult to suggest a direction for the main storyline without needing to be revealed a spoiler or joining ARK to learn a little more, but my question was answered pretty much any ideas i'm going to throw in the fourth wall)
    [16:46] <Kintaii^> =D
    [16:46] <Kintaii^> Saetos, you're next.
    [16:46] <Saetos> Oh
    [16:46] <Saetos> um
    [16:47] * Pheats points out that comments were closed before saetos
    [16:47] <Saetos> Oh right... was gonna mention the Unicorn in Borealis has been killed several times, so it's not exactly insurmountable
    [16:47] <Saetos> 'tis all -!
    [16:47] <Kintaii^> So they were! Oh well. ;P
    [16:47] <Kintaii^> And yeah, but there's a crapload more where that one came from. XD
    [16:48] <Kintaii^> And now our next question!
    [16:48] <Pheats> Windguaerd asks: Have you ever considered allowing players to join Events Team without the requirement to do petitions?
    [16:49] * Windguaerd leans forward
    [16:49] * catcrab leans forward
    [16:49] * Saetos leans far forward
    [16:49] <Kintaii^> I don't want to comment much on exactly what the requirements for being an ARK are, but I will say that the petition requirement for the Events team is slightly different from the rest of the ARK volunteer group.
    [16:49] <Kintaii^> Otherwise I can't really give out anything more specific than that. If you wanna discover what I mean... join Events. XD
    [16:49] <catcrab> !
    [16:49] <Kintaii^> Yes, catcrab?
    [16:50] <Windguaerd> I tried to rejoin ARK, was denied.
    [16:50] <Windguaerd> As in "no, we don't want you"
    [16:50] <Kintaii^> Suck.
    [16:50] <catcrab> Hello, i think events's ability should be measured by english skills and creativity, not abiloty to handle peittions
    [16:50] <Windguaerd> Probably because years ago, I had a misunderstanding with someone higher up in the ranks and left a mark on my record.
    [16:50] <catcrab> with focus on ability to create good stories
    [16:50] <catcrab> -done
    [16:50] <Kintaii^> catcrab: These are things we look at when considering new recruits for the department.
    [16:51] <Tucxedo> !
    [16:51] <Kintaii^> I mean, that's what they *do*, so naturally we tend to look at their ability to create stories and such before allowing them into the department.
    [16:51] <Pheats> but you have to go through ark training before you can apply for the events team, its all part of the program.
    [16:52] <Kintaii^> But before being Events you have to be an *ARK*. It's like joining the military in a way - You may end up as a field medic, but you gotta go through basic training first.
    [16:52] <Tucxedo> -!
    [16:52] <Kintaii^> Windguaerd had several smaller questions about the team, so we're gonna barrel through 'em all while we're here.
    [16:52] <Maleachi> The other two questions you had Windguaerd, regarding the length of the training and the number of eventeers: The training can be rather long, but it teaches the trainee everything he or she has to know about it and it depends a lot on the initiative of the trainee, can take a few weeks, can take longer. Regarding the team size: We can always use more.
    [16:53] <Kintaii^> I think shortest possible turn-around on Events training is about three weeks. And that's if all the stars are aligned and such.
    [16:53] <Maleachi> Sadly we have lost a few good people over the last few months and we are not up to strength again yet.
    [16:54] <Kintaii^> Yeah. :\ We could well do with some new, motivated and interested recruits
    [16:54] <Kintaii^> For the official record, current team size is eight.
    [16:54] <Kintaii^> (not including me)
    [16:54] <Kintaii^> That ain't a lotta folks considering everything that we want and try to do.
    [16:55] <Kintaii^> Anyhoo, our next question!
    [16:56] * Kintaii^ pokes Pheats. "Pssst. That's your cue, dude."
    [16:56] <Pheats> Ok we have a few question from people about a similiar line of information so we're going to try and deal with them together if possible, to save on prolonged time about similiar things
    [16:56] <Kintaii^> Oh, there you are. XD
    [16:57] <Pheats> Tuxcedo asks: my question then: when do we get LTC-clanners on RK1 (and I dont mean simon or the crew but specials ltc like , and where (I suggest OA)?
    [16:57] <Pheats> Domaldel asks: Is there a chance that <<some>> (not all) of the LTC arrivals could at times be scheduled beforehand on the forum? So people could plan ahead a bit where they are when they turn up? And I don't mean the important story stuff, just a few randomish being out there and talking with people stuff.
    [16:57] <Rainys> Yeah...we do have clan LTCs on RK1, not many but they are there
    [16:57] <Tucxedo> "specials like tinkerbots etc"
    [16:57] <Tucxedo> !
    [16:58] <Pheats> Go ahead tucx
    [16:58] <Maleachi> On a general note: LTCs try to be out and about when players are online. We do not have set times when they have to be there.
    [16:58] <Tucxedo> Who are they then? and where? I have in all my time seen 1 one time a long time ago
    [16:59] <Ariensky> !
    [16:59] <Tucxedo> all i see are a whole lotta neutrals and omnies
    [16:59] <Pheats> they should be listed on 4th wall
    [16:59] <Rainys> Well at the moment i can just remember the name of one of them, and they walk around alot. and they are listed on the forums as well
    [16:59] <Ariensky> disregard my ! (thanks pheats)
    [17:00] <Pheats> I would point out though that the LTC's logging on depends heavily on the volunteer playing it, generally events cannot control that
    [17:00] <Pheats> Which brings me to domaldels question
    [17:00] <Pheats> SOME LTC's will announce their times on the forum (or we hope they will be soon)
    [17:00] <Tucxedo> yeah well you dont get a whole lot of clans intressted with neutral LTC we cant do anything with them
    [17:00] <Maleachi> And we do not want to control it as it would lead to a decline in the quality of the interaction if people would be forced (sad,but true)
    [17:01] * Windguaerd votes for Kintaii to roll a Nanomage Enfo who RP as a druken retired Janitor from the War Academy in Athen Shire
    [17:01] <Pheats> but not every one will, the LTC's are voluntary they will be played when the volunteers has the time to do so, we do not want to make them have to keep schedules, they have their own work to think about as well
    [17:01] <Pheats> also not all LTC's will be on the forums, so it would be hard for them to do so.
    [17:02] * Rainys nods
    [17:02] <catcrab> !
    [17:02] <Pheats> go ahead catcrab
    [17:02] <catcrab> how do i apply for a ltc? is it part of events?
    [17:02] <Maleachi> Join ARK.
    [17:02] <catcrab> okay thanks
    [17:03] <catcrab> -done
    [17:03] <Pheats> technically players can make LTC's their called RP playcharacters
    [17:03] <catcrab> (blue names get you taken more seriously though)
    [17:03] <Pheats> They come with bonuses in the fact that they have less rigid rules.
    [17:03] <Windguaerd> !
    [17:03] <Pheats> Ok last comment on this, Windguaerd
    [17:04] <Windguaerd> I'd like to say that rolling a temp lvl 10 toon as part of a player-run event, is not hard to do. You can do as much, or more than an LTC if you have the imagination for it, and a few creds for social items.
    [17:04] <Windguaerd> It's up to you as a roleplayer. End of comment.
    [17:05] <Pheats> Ok, onto the next question
    [17:05] <Pheats> Rhus asks: What are the chances of Richard Doyle-Chick Fight bartender getting his own place in OA? Old Athen could use an instance, if somewhat larger, like the Cup to be frequented occasionally by LTC's, if only to make them more commonly visible to the player base. A large social instance may help promote RP awareness and provide a common location for RP NPC's.
    [17:05] <Kintaii^> I'm gonna be honest here and say that the odds of us adding any new social hubs at the moment is pretty slim.
    [17:06] <catcrab> !
    [17:06] <Kintaii^> Our artists (MstrBstrd and Flaptoot) are pretty overloaded at the moment as-is getting ready for the new engine stuff.
    [17:06] <Rhus> Understood, thanks.
    [17:06] <Rainys> There is loads of social places on RUbi-ka that is used, the cup ive noticed is frequently used, neuters, and so on..
    [17:06] <Rainys> Just need to find them
    [17:06] <Kintaii^> So stuff like that is at an extremely low priority for them compared to making the new bodies, overseeing the new heads, recreating stuff, working on the new startup, etc. etc.
    [17:07] <Kintaii^> Not saying you won't ever see new social areas in-game, just probably not for a while. They've got a lot to do.
    [17:07] <Rhus> That's the thing, need to find them....I was thinking of someplace more highly visible
    [17:07] <Kintaii^> catcrab, your comment?
    [17:07] <catcrab> i also agree with kintaii, main problem is motivation to rp. the grind is pretty new, but is deserted.
    [17:07] <catcrab> -done
    [17:07] * Rainys nods
    [17:08] <Rhus> But still, understood.
    [17:08] <Pheats> Ok I think that was pretty much answered, lets move onto the next question
    [17:09] <Windguaerd> ! sorry, quick one
    [17:10] <Pheats> Go on Windguaerd, gonna take me a moment to condense the next question
    [17:10] <Windguaerd> Can you add whomp-ahs to The Cup to add to cities pls Kintaii?
    [17:10] <Windguaerd> Just a thought, there are whompahs to neut and omni places, not clan
    [17:10] <Kintaii^> You know I have *no* clue why the hell those don't exist
    [17:10] <Kintaii^> And no one around here that I've asked knows either
    [17:11] <Kintaii^> That's one of those things that's been on me "should really fix that" list for a while now, but it's just a matter of finding time to squeeze it in. ><
    [17:11] * ShadowGod mumbles about ommer employees at FC doing it
    [17:11] <Windguaerd> Well, less asking and more "lets make one!" would be nice, pls
    [17:11] <Windguaerd> ty
    [17:11] * Windguaerd steps back
    [17:11] <Kintaii^> That said, now that we've actually learned how to make AI City Buildings again with the birthday building, I might be able to shove it through as a quick fix at some point.
    [17:12] * Windguaerd does his happy clanner dance, which may include shooting an omni here
    [17:12] * Rainys blinks
    [17:12] <Pheats> Ok before the next question, I would like to make it clear that some of you have put in questions to maleachi that we wont be bringing up to day, not because we're being mean, but because their more along suggestions or do not fit with the meeting (developer questions in general are not going to be answered)
    [17:13] <Pheats> those that put in suggestion questions may get to talk about them after questions are over (depending on time) but be assured, we have received them and will read through them and take them into consideration
    [17:14] <Pheats> Ok next question is condensed a fair bit Denali asks: Will there be more of a sense to upcoming events that there is a conflict going on?
    [17:14] <Kintaii^> Hahahahaha oh yeah
    [17:14] <Kintaii^> Hooooooooohhhh yeah
    [17:14] <Denali> <3
    [17:14] <Kintaii^> We're gonna blow some **** up. Y'all hold on, 'cause its gonna be a bumpy ride. XD
    [17:15] <Pheats> very much so, but you will have to take into account the sort of conflict has changed a fair bit from the opening cutscene that you mentioned denali
    [17:15] <Denali> Yeah, it was more of an example that stuck out in my mind and represented the sort of thing i meant
    [17:15] <Pheats> hopefully it will be just as epic
    [17:15] <Denali> other good things include the Shadow Compedium plot and Sentinels invading Rome
    [17:15] * catcrab nods
    [17:16] <Denali> Particularly the former because it mixed intrigue with actual action (a fight at the end was a nice touch)
    [17:16] <Denali> we were given little clues, and we had to put the pieces together
    [17:16] <Denali> I really liked that
    [17:16] <Pheats> the shadow compendium isn't finished just yet, its just on hold while we get the main stuff going
    [17:16] <Denali> and hell, thats not even conflict :P But it adds a lot to the whole experience
    [17:16] <Saetos> !
    [17:16] <Denali> !
    [17:16] <Tucxedo> !
    [17:16] <Pheats> GA saetos
    [17:17] <Saetos> One thing I wanted to counter that with was the Dust Brigade - they werebrought up in the storyline as mysterious and ruthless terrorists, throwing threats at every side... with Xan, they're just mobs.
    [17:18] <Kintaii^> It's the end of their arch, though... LoX is more or less the last time you'll probably see the DB be a "major storyline threat" - Their story is, more or less, told.
    [17:18] <Saetos> I read that story before I even dinged TL4, I wanted to see them in the flesh burnin' buildings and crap
    [17:18] <Kintaii^> They had eight years as the badasses - Time to move on. =)

[17:18] <Saetos> Course I was 15 then but
    [17:18] <Pheats> gotta let our new stuff have a turn at being badasses
    [17:18] <Kintaii^> I wanna say something real quick
    [17:18] <Saetos> So do we get a new breed of terrorists to pillage cities and get driven back by brave players?
    [17:19] <Kintaii^> A major focus and theme of what I am about is 'change'. Doing things differently. Shaking stuff up.
    [17:19] <Kintaii^> We've got nine years of AO behind us - Nine years of awesome stuff.
    [17:20] <Kintaii^> But that's nine years... and as we go into our tenth year, with a new graphics engine, a new startup experience, and a new crew leading up production, it's also time that AO's storyline starts changing and evolving as well.
    [17:20] * Windguaerd thinks "8yrs, year one I call it 'hell year' for vets..."
    [17:20] <Kintaii^> There's nothing wrong with what came to pass - AO's storyline has always been one of the most interesting and intriguing parts of the game, at least to me. And we will never get rid of that or diminish it.
    [17:20] <Pheats> And yet you wont let me nuke borealis kintaii
    [17:20] <Kintaii^> But it's time to start moving forward and trying some new stuff.
    [17:21] <Kintaii^> Pheats: Shhh! Quiet you! =P
    [17:21] <Saetos> Pheats, not all of us are opposed to that; we need something like that to shake the mold
    [17:21] <Saetos> -!
    [17:21] <Kintaii^> Denali, did you have another comment?
    [17:21] * Windguaerd smells "reboot" somewhere.... on noes, first Spiderman, now AO? =P
    [17:21] <Kintaii^> (no reboot ;P)
    [17:21] <Denali> Just that i understand things have evolved, and its not just about clan vs OT any more
    [17:22] <Denali> its gotten bigger than that, like "oh crap what was SL say about our history?"
    [17:22] <Denali> and just that i think thats a good thing maybe something could be done with that too
    [17:22] <Kintaii^> I don't see us ever losing the Clan vs. OT aspect of the game's storyline, honestly. Certainly not while I'm around, at least.
    [17:22] <Windguaerd> Pardon for breaking protocol. But it Den, it hasn't been Clan vs Omni for years, except the PvP'ers in the game.
    [17:22] <Denali> yeah, but you're also adding to it. and thats cool
    [17:23] <Gimpeline> !
    [17:23] <Pheats> losing the clan vs ot aspect would spell disaster for food based insults aswell, it will always be core to most things.
    [17:23] <Kintaii^> I wanna do new stuff without erasing the *cores* of our roots, and Clan vs. OT has always been one of the central pins of AO's storyline, even if it's gone back and forth between a 'hot' war and a 'cold' war over the years.
    [17:23] <Denali> Wind - you can't tell me the two sides are happy to hold hands and get long even now though
    [17:23] <Kintaii^> Anyhoo, order. :P
    [17:23] <Kintaii^> Enough of that derail
    [17:23] <Kintaii^> Tucxedo, you had a comment?
    [17:24] <Tucxedo> any chance I now can get into shadow Comp without being send into mission impossible? (btw if you start blwoing things up could you start with omni 1 please?)
    [17:24] <Denali> coming back to Kintaii -- another good example is the link between Home and the shadowlands. i loved what you did with the inside of the temple after you zone out of the beast's lair, and part of me wishes that might be looked at again some day
    [17:24] * Rainys chuckles
    [17:24] <Windguaerd> Den - I hate omnis, yet I team with them on occasion just because they are nice peeps IC and OOC
    [17:24] <Denali> alright, think i'm done
    [17:24] <Denali> ah i meant in character
    [17:24] <Denali> ofc i have friends on all sides :P but my characters might not get long with them
    [17:24] <Denali> if I'm in character
    [17:24] <Pheats> No tucx, iaskel doesnt trust you.
    [17:25] <Tucxedo> bah
    [17:25] <Tucxedo> is that iaskel or you?
    [17:25] <Pheats> Ok Gimpeline I beleive has the last comment for this question
    [17:25] <Tucxedo> and with you I mean ARk
    [17:25] <Gimpeline> Right now the clans are taking orders from Unicorns in the outzones, Both sides uses the same firm for daily missions and so on. To be honest the war between pepsi and cola is worse that the one between the factions in the official story line right now
    [17:25] <Gimpeline> done
    [17:26] <Saetos> sorry but... lol, nice anology
    [17:26] <Windguaerd> I thought that war was won by Coca Cola?
    [17:26] * Windguaerd steps back slowly
    [17:27] <Kintaii^> I did what I could to explain the Daily Missions stuff away. ;P Freelancer's Inc was the best I could come with.
    [17:27] <Masuraki> !
    [17:27] <Kintaii^> ... interestingly enough, what started out as just sort of a handwave thing will actually turn out to be very important in the future.
    [17:27] <Kintaii^> The way that Freelancer's Inc. arrived on Rubi-Ka is *very* important for future plans.
    [17:27] <lasliana> !
    [17:28] <Kintaii^> There's a ton of little tiny stuff out there that's been happening over the last six months which will hopefully make you guys go "Oooooohhhhhh! *Now* it makes sense!"
    [17:28] * Windguaerd pats Kintaii on the back regarding the Daily Missions
    [17:29] <Pheats> Masuraki?
    [17:29] <Masuraki> the war is over they devided the world, Pepsi took arabic contries and most of asia , and cola took europe and they spliting north/south america.
    [17:29] <Masuraki> thats it
    [17:29] <Windguaerd> Unfortunately not all of us has the time anymore to collect the tiny stuff and put it together like the old day, we've become vets with TONS of more things to do (thanks to Means and Devs)
    [17:29] <Pheats> and Lasliana?
    [17:30] <Windguaerd> !
    [17:30] <lasliana> Firstly. on the comment of How Freelancers.Inc came to RK, does this mean were going to see more small non hypercorporations setting up on Rk like Phasefront etc..
    [17:31] <Kintaii^> No comment. =)
    [17:31] <Pheats> no comment is a comment!
    [17:31] <Saetos> tricky basturd
    [17:31] * Saetos senses sneaky intentions
    [17:31] * Agrestus grins
    [17:31] <Pheats> but yeah, no comment
    [17:31] <lasliana> secondly could i digress for a moment and ask how close to the mark was i with the article on the phillip ross shooting, since it deals with events from years ago in the story line? or is that no comment to?
    [17:32] <Kintaii^> ... I dunno, Pheats, should we comment on this?
    [17:32] <Pheats> Huh?
    [17:32] <Kintaii^> I mean we *can* since its been so long and it'd just be us giving out some OOC knowledge at this point
    [17:32] * Pheats goes and looks for the article again
    [17:32] <lasliana> tbh its been bugging me for a while, how close i was to the truth when i wrote it drunk at 3am..
    [17:32] <Pheats> sure then
    [17:32] <Kintaii^> .... but we could always leave 'em in suspense. >
    [17:32] <Pheats> we got plenty of suspense to come
    [17:33] <Pheats> so a little release beforehand might be good
    [17:33] <Kintaii^> I'm gonna say you're around... 50/60% right
    [17:33] <Kintaii^> You've got some of the details wrong, but you're definitely in the right ballpark
    [17:34] <Tucxedo> yes he got shot, yes hes not dead and the rest is wrong
    [17:34] <Kintaii^> If you think Korbensen was in the "Ross Faction", though, you're dead wrong. XD
    [17:34] <lasliana> hmm, expect me to dissect all of your stuff from now on. ive some ideas where stuff is heading anyway (thats all and thanks))
    [17:34] <Saetos> I forgot entirely who or what Korbensen is ... or was :P
    [17:35] <Kintaii^> Liason from Omni-Prime. Arrived with Ross on-world shortly before the Kyr`ozch started attacking.
    [17:35] <Pheats> Ok Windguaerd, last comment (for real this time)
    [17:35] <Saetos> ah.
    [17:35] <Kintaii^> Served as interim leader for OT-RK before Tarkhan Zora took control.
    [17:35] <Windguaerd> Kintaii, any chance at creating an in-game "library" of sorts, don't need to be a new place, but... maybe a terminal where a player can learn about the larger storyline, past and present?
    [17:35] * Saetos listens intently at Windguaerd's comment
    [17:36] <Windguaerd> NOT as part of the new start area, but ingame, where everyone can access it, maybe ICC
    [17:36] <Kintaii^> Windguaerd: This is more or less what I'm wanting to do with the new startup experience, as a replacement to the old Arrival Hall.
    [17:36] <Kintaii^> That said, when I say 'as part of the new startup experience', as I said earlier in the meeting I don't want this sort of area locked away.
    [17:36] <Kintaii^> So anyone can go there. But it'll be featured in the new experience.
    [17:36] <Windguaerd> Then, maybe an area where lets say a 220 can go?
    [17:36] <Windguaerd> Awesome!
    [17:37] <Windguaerd> End of Comment, brb wife aggro
    [17:37] <Sappho> go full-deaf
    [17:37] <Maleachi> On a sidenote before we continue: I've received questions/suggestions from the following people: Catcrab, Windguaerd, Namiru, Saetos, Domaldel, Lasliana, Masuraki, Jerusha, Pinkeltje, Tucxedo, Ofab, Rhus, Ariensky, Enilias, Denali, Brazen.
    [17:38] <Maleachi> If you're not on this list then please send me a short message and split your long questions into some smaller ones or post them in short bursts.
    [17:38] <Namiru> Uh...my question was already answered...sorta.
    [17:39] <Pheats> Would just point out that, due to the meeting dragging on a fair bit we'll be ending shortly, we have a few more questions we want to get out there way here first
    [17:39] <Saetos> Namiru, yea, he's answered thouse
    [17:39] <Saetos> those*
    [17:39] <Maleachi> Yes, I've included questions/comments that were already taken care of there.
    [17:39] <Pheats> After which unanswered or extra questions will be accepted but answers will be posted in the 4th wall in the week
    [17:39] <Namiru> Ah. Missed the "not" Sorry.
    [17:39] <Kintaii^> Yeah, it's 11:30pm here and I gotta go to work in the morning so we kinda need to get things movin'. So we may have to answer some questions in the 4thW after this meeting.
    [17:40] <Namiru> I do have a real quick question, though. Will there be a log of this chat on the forums somewhere?
    [17:40] <Pheats> If your question does not come up in the next 3, make sure you let maleachi know OR send it to events.feedback@gmail.com
    [17:40] <Kintaii^> Even if we don't post it I'm sure someone here will. XD
    [17:41] <Pheats> and of course feel free to post questions in 4th wall (or email us any time) anyway
    [17:41] <Pheats> Ok so last three questions: First is from Brazen: My org is New to rp. We go to NLC once a month but hard to sustain interest w/just that. Suggestions on how we can seed rp would be great
    [17:42] <Tucxedo> join ch42 create a small event with another org and expand that
    [17:43] <Kintaii^> Pretty much... I mean, it's like I said earlier - A lot of the impetus has to lie on you guys. We can't provide all the answers; sometimes you just gotta get out and network.
    [17:43] <Pheats> For this its a bit hard, it comes down to how involved in RP you are in general, attending the meetings are a good way to get started but by themselves they wont supply you with interest
    [17:44] <lasliana> !
    [17:44] <Pheats> Your best bet is to go out, get some of your own events going, get involved with others events, chat with LTC's, send us information about what your doing etc
    [17:44] <Pheats> then you can bring what your doing to the meeting, and the meeting can then grow from that
    [17:44] <Pheats> Lasliana?
    [17:45] <Maleachi> Inform the Mayor, inform the General, report during the meetings are just some of the options
    [17:46] <lasliana> just going from what Brazen asked, firstly would he be willing to share dimension and org name? secondly on RK1 a group of us often hang around outside neuters after NLCC meetings, thirdly if you want to get involved in the story of NLC, maybe think of non labour intensive ways (for fc/afk) for yout o help better the city on a whole.
    [17:46] <lasliana> (end of comment)
    [17:47] <Pheats> would point out brazen is no longer actually here
    [17:47] <lasliana> i checked and wondered if he had changed his name.
    [17:47] <Kintaii^> ><
    [17:47] <lasliana> also checked auno first but couldnt find him..
    [17:47] <Kintaii^> Maybe he'll read the log once its posted. ;P
    [17:47] <Pheats> yeah
    [17:47] <Kintaii^> Should we move on, then?
    [17:47] <lasliana> anyway thats me, going to pub after a meeting is a good idea imo
    [17:48] <Pheats> Ok next question is from ariensky: is the ARK backstory cannon? if not wtf is it?
    [17:48] <Ariensky> http://ark.funcom.com/Public/ARKsite?page_id=58
    [17:49] <Pheats> I'd really have to let Kintaii deal with this one
    [17:49] <Kintaii^> It's... cannon-ish? It's less cannon than more, really, but at the same time I don't claim that it *didn't* happen.
    [17:49] <Kintaii^> In terms of that being the official story of how ARK came to be? Yes.
    [17:49] <Kintaii^> In terms of meeting ARKs in-game and expecting them to RP that story out (or even really be that familiar with it)? Not so much
    [17:49] * Maleachi hands Kintaii a big tarp for all the plotholes
    [17:49] <Kintaii^> Yeah. ><
    [17:49] <Pheats> I mean personally I've always wanted to bring ark into the story a bit more, not core storywise, but their as a presence...
    [17:49] <Kintaii^> My job a lot of times is pouring asphalt into the plot holes. ;P
    [17:50] <Pheats> but a lot of it comes down to established rules of ARK, storyline rules and people grumbling and generally being naysayers
    [17:50] <Kintaii^> Anyhoo, yes - As far as I'm concerned, from an official storyline perspective, that *did* happen and it's how ARK came to be.
    [17:51] <Pheats> But (atleast so far) it wont actually be involved in the goings on of RK
    [17:51] <Ariensky> I always loved the NLF declaring war on ARK for using notum(and refused to attend tours), it also gave a good feeling that even the GMs had a backstory
    [17:51] <Kintaii^> Yep
    [17:52] <Pheats> but I'd be hesitant to ever say it never will, as the future is a crazy thing
    [17:52] <Pheats> Anyway LAST QUESTION!
    [17:52] <Kintaii^> HOOTIE HOO!!
    [17:52] <Pheats> that again kintaii?
    [17:52] <Kintaii^> Indeed.
    [17:52] <Kintaii^> I am crunk up in da club.
    [17:52] <Kintaii^> Werd to yo momma.
    [17:52] <Saetos> Oh god, Kintaii's going supah fly jive
    [17:53] <Saetos> This is getting sooooooo white
    [17:53] <Pheats> Ok this one has come from a few people so I wont specify who: Events rewards, special ones, fancy ones, VP ones, XP ones! Where are they please?
    [17:53] * Kintaii^ looks elsewhere... >.>
    [17:53] <Masuraki> !
    [17:53] <Pheats> Lets hear your comment furst masuraki
    [17:54] <Pheats> err first (its late... I think you can all tell)
    [17:54] <Gimpeline> !
    [17:55] <Pheats> Masuraki?

[17:55] <Masuraki> i always loved Rping, been a rp fanatic since ultima online, i used to even host alot of events offical ones, giving/getting items that dont imbalance the game but has segnificense to the acctual event maby a robe /whit a fancy color or name, is always nice its a reminder. and collectables, this game only missing items that are collectables like rare one of a kind or few of a kind items dosent exist
    [17:55] <Kintaii^> Here's the thing about events items.
    [17:55] <Kintaii^> They require me making them. ><
    [17:56] <Kintaii^> And if you guys want anything *really* cool (new meshes/textures) then I gotta start wranglin' up MstrBstrd to do it
    [17:56] <Kintaii^> (or flaptoot but i live with mstrbstrd so its easier to nag him :P)
    [17:56] <Kintaii^> I *want* to make some Events rewards
    [17:56] <Kintaii^> I really do
    [17:56] <Kintaii^> But (A) I'm a little stuck on what exactly to give you guys, and (B)... time. It comes back to time again. Something I have very little of these days. ><
    [17:56] <Pheats> We do have a lot of stuff regarding rewards on our "todo" lists that will hopefully let us start handing out rewards that may not be new but may still be good, but its really low priority compared to actually getting RP up and out there
    [17:57] <Masuraki> couse this game has to manny common items that are taged uniqe but only uniqe in a sence that you can only have one of them
    [17:57] * Agrestus sold his zigball trading cards for 999m
    [17:57] <Masuraki> but a funny motivation is getting odd rewards, always pumps up the masses
    [17:58] <Kintaii^> Like Pheats said, there's stuff in the backlog which will hopefully let us start giving out some more stuff - Like I've said before, most of what I've been doing this last year has been getting infrastructure changes taken care of to help facilitate some of the new initiatives I want to see
    [17:58] <Kintaii^> Like expanding the rewards system
    [17:58] <catcrab> old school db armor looks cool
    [17:58] <Masuraki> i am still pumped up and waiting for that damn S-H-O-P O-F F-O-R-T-U-N-E
    [17:58] <Kintaii^> It's just time. And with so few people/resources, things can take a lot more time than we like. ><
    [17:58] <catcrab> maybe it can be used as reward
    [17:58] <Denali> !
    [17:58] <Jerusha> !
    [17:58] <Masuraki> no more to add from me, thanks
    [17:59] <Masuraki> that is if you cant shed some light on my shop of fortune
    [17:59] <catcrab> !
    [17:59] <Kintaii^> Can't, sorry. >< I actually looked around for it after I started working here, but no one knew anything and I couldn't find any documentation. :\
    [17:59] <Pheats> We do have stuff we can hand out, and we try to give out stuff where appropriate but it all a bit... ehhh.
    [17:59] <Kintaii^> Gimpeline, go!
    [17:59] <Gimpeline> People that need rewards to do rp isnt the kind of people rp needs. I rather have a small crowd that a bunch of people that are just there for the phats. Amall social rewards are fine, but I dont think handing out things like robust backpacks are a good idea
    [18:00] <Gimpeline> done
    [18:00] <Masuraki> !
    [18:00] <Pheats> Well the problem is Events does not JUST mean RP
    [18:00] <Domaldel> !
    [18:00] <Saetos> T-shirts?
    [18:00] <Kintaii^> Gimpeline: Trust me, I don't think we're gonna go that far. If we give stuff out, I want it to be either social or have temporary benefits. You'll never need to RP to twink your character. :P
    [18:01] <Pheats> its heavily RP but its not just it, not to mention it would be nice to actually reward RPers
    [18:01] <Ciyanid> !
    [18:01] * Pheats grumbles how he'll never get that RBP now
    [18:01] <Kintaii^> Denali, you're up.
    [18:01] <Denali> just a suggestion about the "souvenir" items for RP events; I remember one time when there was an alien raid on Galway Castle on RK2, and I think an item dropped called something like "snowglobe"
    [18:02] <Denali> but the problem was the snowglobe souvenir only dropped off the boss, and there was a bit of an OD party going on so only the raidforce that poured all of their time into just doing DD got them
    [18:02] <Pheats> ((just going to point out Im going to have to leave at the end of ciyanids comment so I daresay that will be the last)
    [18:02] <Denali> I therefore woner if it would be possible to spawn them in everybody's inventories at the end, like how you all get a buff from doing the Xan instance, instead?
    [18:02] <Denali> wonder*
    [18:02] <Sappho> we need a "Nickel Plated Statue of Means" to drop...
    [18:02] <Kintaii^> Yeah, we may have to skip out on the 'questions from us' part for now... we'll work up a substitute for it, though - Keep your eyes peeled on the 4thW for more information there later.
    [18:03] <Kintaii^> Denali: Nope. Then it'd spawn in EVERYONE'S inventories in the playfield.
    [18:03] <Maleachi> At the moment spawning it in everyone's inventory is not possible, we're looking into other means of distributing the rewards.
    [18:03] <Pheats> Unfortunately thats not really possible (at the moment)
    [18:03] <Kintaii^> But yeah, we're looking at other methods of distribution
    [18:03] <Denali> Ah I see, fair enough. and okay
    [18:03] <Denali> thanks, done here
    [18:03] <Kintaii^> Jerusha!
    [18:03] <Pheats> though in those style of events the rewards WILL be going to those that can take down the boss
    [18:03] <Jerusha> Well already said now, but again: I am strongly against heavy phats for events, unless they have a pure social nature. I looked up some items with ME/EE lately for making my AMEP and I really was a bit disappointed as I saw that there are Rings with insane amount of it which are handed out by GM's only for beeing at an event. And as Gimpeline said, RP is for RP, not phatz. Item in question:...
    [18:03] <Pheats> other events will be a bit more fair
    [18:03] <Jerusha> ...http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=163673 , 24ME/EE, thats as much as 1 arithmetic armorpart adds at ql 225
    [18:04] <Kintaii^> Yeah, again, I don't see us handing out much in the way of phatz for events... and to my knowledge those rings have only very VERY rarely been given out (if ever at all)
    [18:04] <Pheats> I dont think events was ever cleared to give them out (as much as we've wanted to at times)
    [18:05] <Domaldel> -!
    [18:05] <Kintaii^> Not to my knowldge at least
    [18:05] <Kintaii^> A GM may have spawned one or two somewhere, but I don't think so.
    [18:05] <Jerusha> Well, I dunno if they where given, I just found them heh. But done from me.
    [18:05] <Kintaii^> So they may have never been given out at all.
    [18:05] <Kintaii^> catcrab!
    [18:05] <catcrab> i think theres a lot of cool mesh and monster only armor that can look really cool on a player, like cyborg armor, or glowing db armor. the old rk db armor from the old froob bosses look pretty cool too. unicorn armor would look badass as social
    [18:05] <catcrab> -done
    [18:05] <Pheats> I know some dislike the idea of phats for events, but at the same time I'd like to reward people for attending with special thing
    [18:06] <Kintaii^> Totally reasonable suggestion really. Again, just means time for me to actually make the items so the Events guys can spawn 'em out.
    [18:06] <Pheats> NPC armour is just that, NPC armour, in many cases its actually part of their mesh
    [18:06] <catcrab> (id pay real money for unicorn armor)
    [18:06] <Kintaii^> But stuff like that is *way* more doable than "OMG make a new hoverbike with three jets and painted bright pink!!"
    [18:06] <Pheats> I dare say the bright pink part would be doable kintaii :P
    [18:06] <Kintaii^> Masuraki!
    [18:06] <Masuraki> ill take my question after the meeting if your staying
    [18:07] <Kintaii^> (i already made a pink damn hoverboard, that's as good as its getting ;P)
    [18:07] <Saetos> same, I've got a couple of game questions I'd like to ask
    [18:07] <Saetos> now that the opportunity has presented itself in a way
    [18:07] <Ariensky> ..and pink unicorns..
    [18:07] <Saetos> after this, I mean
    [18:07] <Kintaii^> I plan on departing pretty much as soon as we're done - Need some grub, then need some rest. ><
    [18:07] <Kintaii^> Sorry guys, it's past midnight here.
    [18:07] <Saetos> they're quick
    [18:07] <Saetos> but i understand
    [18:07] <Pheats> if need be, 4th wall or the email address is always there saetos
    [18:08] <Saetos> not a 4th wall question
    [18:08] <Pheats> then the mail would be best
    [18:08] <Kintaii^> Aye: Please feel free to ask questions either via PM, the email address, or on the 4thW
    [18:08] <Kintaii^> That said Saetos you're a Professional - You've had ways to talk to me for months now. ;P
    [18:08] <Pheats> Ok Ciyanid?
    [18:08] <Ciyanid> I know, this is not all about RP, but talking about prizes and such.. We had a talk with people, i think it was Agres and Lasliana.. Whatabout giving the RP'ers (the ones that show, as in Agrestus) Their whole name ontop of their heads? It would look so cool, and draw more attention (Read: get more people interested in RP) cause they wanna go talk to the person. How wrong am i?
    [18:08] <Saetos> Heh, well it's more confirmation
    [18:08] * lasliana nods
    [18:08] <Kintaii^> ... huh
    [18:08] <Kintaii^> Interesting thought
    [18:09] <Agrestus> I ran out of time to suggest that! I love you Ciyanid!
    [18:09] <Kintaii^> I'll jot it down - I can't say anything will ever come of it, but it isn't a terrible idea.
    [18:09] <Saetos> I love that idea
    [18:09] <Ciyanid> <3
    [18:09] * lasliana nice one me and agres forgot about it..
    [18:09] <Pheats> only issue with that I can see is its either end up being the /rp flag again or be so exclusive no one ever really sees it
    [18:09] <Denali> !
    [18:10] <Pheats> Ok denali quickly then, then Im off
    [18:10] <Agrestus> well it would provide no other reward other than an events reward to have your first and last name displayed rather than a simple on/off switch, and it would guarantee those that have it are roleplayers
    [18:10] <Ciyanid> think about the RPers that have been here a loong time. Agres, Las, i think Dabz would definately deserve one. all R.U.R should
    [18:10] <Denali> just throwing out ideas again mostly: what about tying use of displaying full names to something like "you have to tick the checkbox in your account page for RP" or "you have to turn up to an ooc meeting to get permission" so people won't just abuse it like the current flag?
    [18:10] <Pheats> but we dont just cater to RPers, not is it RPers only that turn up
    [18:11] <Masuraki> !
    [18:11] <Saetos> Denali, you could just click the box, get your name, and then drop the flag
    [18:11] * Kratto is now known as Kratto|afk
    [18:11] <Denali> i remember that neutral ID chips used to only be gotten from ARKs at meetings, for example. i realize displaying a name and spawning an item are different, but it's a thought
    [18:11] <Kintaii^> Anyhoo!
    [18:11] <Kintaii^> With alla that said... I think we can bring the meeting to a close.
    [18:11] <Kintaii^> AGAIN!
    [18:12] <Saetos> Whew
    [18:12] <Masuraki> Kintaii can i ask you something quick now that meeting is over ?
    [18:12] <Saetos> Kintaii, before you leave, can I throw you a quick question about gem cutting?
    [18:12] <Kintaii^> If we did not get to your question, or if you wanna chat some more about stuff, feel free to post anything you have any comments/questions about on the 4thW
    [18:12] <ShadowGod> heheh... run Kintaii!
    [18:12] <lasliana> cheers kintaii, sprint now whilst you have legs!
    [18:12] <Kintaii^> Otherwise, thank you guys for all showing up - I'm really glad to see such a good turnout for today. =D
    [18:12] <MstrBstrd> RAWR!
    [18:12] <Kintaii^> Masuraki, Saetos: Please send me a PM on the forums with your questions.
    [18:13] <Pheats> Thank you all for attending, remember this isn't the end of communication, as stated 4thwall, events.feedback@gmail.com and forum PM's are always there!
    [18:13] <Rimor> The bot has been shutdown.
    [18:13] <Rhus> thanks folks
    [18:13] <Masuraki> what did you mean no documintation about S h o p - o f - F o r t u n e !
    [18:13] <Namiru> Kintaii....go.....and sleep!
    [18:13] <Saetos> Alright
    [18:13] <Kintaii^> I'm assuming you have forums access, Masuraki?
    [18:13] <Masuraki> ah ok
    [18:13] <Masuraki> good night kintaii
    [18:13] <Masuraki> yes
    [18:13] <Denali> thanks for organizing this, guys
    [18:13] <Ciyanid> Thanks Kintaii and the lot And good night, sleep tight!
    [18:13] <Agrestus> good night, thanks
    [18:13] <Kintaii^> Shop of Fortune: Seriously, I couldn't find anything on the internal drives about it. So no clue wtf it was supposed to be
    [18:13] <Denali> it's been good to get the opportunity to talk to you like this
    [18:13] <Saetos> Kintaii, about to send you a PM now
    [18:13] <lasliana> cheers Pheats and co.
    [18:13] * Quits: Pheats (~snibrill@host81-153-141-99.range81-153.btcentralplus.com) (Quit: Darnit, I can't blow you all up here...)
    [18:13] <Wisewise> That shop used to be in ICC, didn't it?
    [18:13] <Kintaii^> Hopefully we can do these kinds of meetings more often from here on out.
    [18:13] <catcrab> is the meetig over?
    [18:13] <Masuraki> no inside basic shop on wall
    [18:13] <Maleachi> Yes.
    [18:13] <catcrab> ok
    [18:13] <catcrab> c u guys
    [18:14] <Kintaii^> It's been fun, and hopefully we got to answer most of your questions. =)
    [18:14] <Kintaii^> Take care y'all!

Whew, epic wall of text.

Overall, pretty satisfied. If they keep good on their promises I'll have a lot more confidence in this little affair.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Over 3hrs, yeah, long one.

I tried to read it. Honest I did. But the stuff I did read is pretty much basic kinds of things that have been covered in just about every events/player meeting since the beginning of time. Yet thanks for the log, I'm sure I'll get around to reading it all in the weeks and months to come. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Collodion View Post
    I tried to read it. Honest I did. But the stuff I did read is pretty much basic kinds of things that have been covered in just about every events/player meeting since the beginning of time. Yet thanks for the log, I'm sure I'll get around to reading it all in the weeks and months to come. lol
    what do you feel wasnt covered, and should have been?

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    what do you feel wasnt covered, and should have been?
    That's a good question right there. I don't know. Maybe something more about specifics on what exactly Events can do to help support Player run events. Maybe more about what Players can do, other than the obvious things like supporting CoT/OAM/NLCC, to help Events with their activities. I miss the complex and developing stories of years past (specifically I am think of the Legionaries) and would want to know if any Events ARKs are working or planning anything that doesn't necessarily involve the main Omni/Clan story arcs.

I've been away a couple of years and I've found it much more difficult to find any RP going on than in times past. (All this applies to rk1 as I really only play there.) Since I've been back, the only RP I've seen has been the NLCC. Channel 42 is pretty dead. And yes, I remember that summers are always slow, but it seems like core of the RP community is maybe a dozen players. I've been trying to get a hold of a number of people to try and get re-involved, but no one responds.

I think I slipped off topic there. But really I'd have liked to see a little more discussion on what each group, Player and Events, can do to help each other. Does Events want more ideas and development from players? I think it's clear the vocal community wants to see more ideas and development from Events, so what can we as player do to help that happen?

Collodion, a lot of those questions you have raised are answered in this 4th Wall forum area. Many of them via the thread right at the top with the book marked threads in it.

It is rare I cannot find RP if I want to get involved in something, on those rare occasions though it is always just a good idea for me to start up something on my own and try to see what I can talk my organisation into planning for our next event

Thanks for posting this log, unfortunately I had to bail out halfway through because it was getting way too late. Yeah I'm an old fart and need my sleep, mkay?
    Anyway, it was fun to be at the meeting. I hope to meet you people ingame sometime
    Edit: I'm on Atlantean.

Also, kudos to Kintaii and everyone else in the organisation for giving up their free time on Sunday to talk to us.
    Pinkeltje

Your friendly little garden gnome, with red pointy hat, a pot belly and an assault rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkeltje View Post
    Thanks for posting this log, unfortunately I had to bail out halfway through because it was getting way too late. Yeah I'm an old fart and need my sleep, mkay?
    Anyway, it was fun to be at the meeting. I hope to meet you people ingame sometime
    Edit: I'm on Atlantean.

Also, kudos to Kintaii and everyone else in the organisation for giving up their free time on Sunday to talk to us.
    Your welcome, I also had to step away due to wife aggro, but I read the end which I missed and overall I think the meeting went well for everyone.

Wish I coulda been there, but sadly... my place of business felt that I needed to work almost 70 hours this week.

:/ Sad panda is i.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Ukblizzard View Post
    Collodion, a lot of those questions you have raised are answered in this 4th Wall forum area. Many of them via the thread right at the top with the book marked threads in it.
    I'm very familiar with a lot of the info here on the 4th Wall and I've watched it all develop over the years in a variety of different places. The link you provided takes me to a list of info on 'how to RP' 'NLC/OTAM/CoT' 'Green Cloaks' 'ARK Storylines' 'Reporters' 'LTCs' etc. These are those "obvious things" I was referring to. It's all good info and very useful. But again, it's just meetings or activities that Players and/or Events are doing, and not really about ways that the two groups can work together to develop stories, events, etc.

Let's say for an example, I have this idea for a story that takes place in 4 events over a month. Maybe in the 3rd part I want to have a handful of nothing special mobs spawned in some remote location, maybe a dozen mid-level shades out in the middle of Newland Desert. Could/would Events be able to assist me with that? Maybe I want to go deeper than that for the final part and a have a mission area spawned with a particularly named, generic NPC spawned as the boss, who drops maybe a specific, non-important nor beneficial item. Could/would Events be able to do that?

Then there is the flip side. Say Events is planning an event around Leets. Would/could they contact the LPA that there maybe something going down in a couple of days to make sure there are members from the LPA to protest? Or other events that might require player groups to participate, like a robber in Rome caught by players from Omni-Pol. Stories started and run by Events, but the players determine the outcome (such as in the previous example where players catch the robber, but what do the players do then). (This probably isn't very clear, I can see this kind of event in my head, but not really have to describe it.)

Basically, if you are still with me, lol, how and in what ways can players and Events work together to create and develop stories in cooperation with each other to help encourage, develop and expand the community?

(I'm not sure this is entirely where I wanted to end up, and I'm even less sure that I have been even remotely coherent. lol)

My 2 creds :

- Announcing event
    Getting RPers in touch is a good idea, it may belong to the 'mysterious spying' some of us are conducting, among players it worked well. You may even request us to do something in order to get the info (ie gather a bunch of data disk that will reveal what's going on).

Also if I remember well, in the early of ark run alien invasions tehre were global broadcast on RK, it will probably attract unwanted people but heh. Maybe we can use the rp signup to enable that ?

- The storyline

It's good to know that something will happen. I think it will be critical during the balance/starter/engine patches to show how AO can go further another game. Really I only see that as a win-win scenario. This is the best fun I ever had with the game.

Oh and I keel Kintai too. Try asking the devs for a svn! You can backup items, with versioning from your desktop as quickly as right clicking them. It just require tortoise svn and a password (edit: yea on a boat it's another problem, but keeel, need pvp points!).

- Asking ARK help at event

This one is more for my fellow players : You don't need Arks to push your event, promote it maybe but not run.

Truly, from experience Ark can never what's really going on in your head and when they get things right... they didn't do much more then what you could do yourself. We end up with events going wrong or having two events at the same place. I think we together need to know better our roles, I can't understand wh someone get pissed at some volunteer guy not responding to a request when he already have a lot to do. In my opinions Ark powers are great for the fireworks (and ty for that) but the event itself is your responsibility.

I'm not saying that Ark are incompetent or useless, but it's like giving medicine to a healthy guy, doesn't help.
    Last edited by boltgun; Jul 26th, 2010 at 19:23:05.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Bolt is on the money.

Collodion, the link at the bottom of the list Ukblizzard posted should provide the information about your first question, what we can and can't do while aiding player events is sorted on a case by case basis, but will be discussed with the player involved when emails are received.

As for the second part, we may or may not direct events towards certain people, it depends if we want the event to be targeted or be a general public one... as for player driven results, almost all events (bar the general "kill the big bad mob" events) outcomes depend on the players actions, sometimes players change the events outcome whether we wanted them to or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Pheats View Post
    As for the second part, we may or may not direct events towards certain people, it depends if we want the event to be targeted or be a general public one... as for player driven results, almost all events (bar the general "kill the big bad mob" events) outcomes depend on the players actions, sometimes players change the events outcome whether we wanted them to or not...
    That's something you'll have to expect when you use PC characters. A story as complicated as Anarchy Online's can't survive if no strings are allowed to be cut or rerouted.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.