Thread: How do I get involved?

How do I get involved?

OOC

Hey all,

I'm a newb on Rubi-Ka. Maybe you recognize my name from Atlantean or perhaps the meeting from last Sunday. Anyway, I've been looking around the cities and logged onto Channel42 every day since a couple of weeks, but I just can't seem to find a way to get involved. My org isn't about roleplay. I don't know any rp'ers. Channel42 is so quiet, I'm beginning to wonder why people log on there in the first place. I've contemplated on saying something on there, but.. what?

I've read guides, I've tried looking up background stories (the ones on ao-universe, are they up-to-date at all?) but this hasn't helped me much. I was kinda hoping to get to know people via the meeting last Sunday.

So, my question: How does a newb get involved in rp on Atlantean?
    Pinkeltje

Your friendly little garden gnome, with red pointy hat, a pot belly and an assault rifle.

Hi!

I'm afraid I don't play on RK1 anymore although I did start my AO career there and was a little bit involved in RP... So maybe I can be a little helpful.

It's great that you discovered ch42, though it's understandably difficult to get involved with if you don't know anyone since it's mainly IC. So other things...

You could try joining a more RP-friendly org. I'm sure most, if not all of them, accept alts so you wouldn't need to leave your current org. There's a list of RP orgs on RK1 here, if you haven't seen it. It may be a little out-of-date, but I'd guess a fair few of them are still around.

You may want to keep an eye out for ARK LTCs, since RPers often kind of gravitate towards them when they're around so it can be an easy way of introducing your character at a small social gathering. I think (I may be wrong) Ch42 sends an alert when an LTC logs on, or you could stick them in your friends list so that you can look up the character that logged on on the LTC list to find out where they might be and then "accidentally" bump into them and whoever else might be fawning over them.

RK1 also has a regular OOC meeting for RPers in reets retreat called the green cloaks meeting, so it might be worth heading there to introduce yourself.

Another thing you could do, even if your org isn't into RP, is go along to one of the IC meetings (CoT/NLCC/OAM). Though I personally find them a bit dry and serious and not something I'd recommend to a newcomer until they've had some more casual, lighthearted, fun RP with friends.

If all else fails of course, roll an RK2 character. I know various RP-oriented orgs more than happy to snatch up a newcomer (hint, hint)

Hope that was in some way helpful.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Cant say what's the situation nowdays, but year or two back (cant remember) when i got into RP, i just joined 42, listened, kept on walking around Bore / Newland / OA / WA. After a while, i started to talk to people if i saw them somewhere / on 42.

And to the question, what can you say on 42? Ofc, depends on your own character what he / she likes to talk about or is he / she social etc.. But.. It's hard to say any topics. Good way is to say hello and maybe ask how everyone has been? Or curse how bad weather it is in Borealis for example.

Im not that good with giving advice.. I hope this helps even a bit
    *Giggle*

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    Now that my /RP partner is back, I'm sure stuff will pick up a bit. <3
    ~[[ Trying to be active on forums. ]]~

July is kind of slow time any way....

As a clanner you can poke your head in on a CoT meeting. there is one coming up this saturday, it can be horribly boring at times though. How ever you could meet and make contact with a few folks.

Unfortunately there is very little going on clanside these days.
    Point Blank

Yep. Usually, i find myself to be the only clan on 42. Buuuut, who knows, changes might be on their way
    *Giggle*

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    Now that my /RP partner is back, I'm sure stuff will pick up a bit. <3
    ~[[ Trying to be active on forums. ]]~

Yeah I noticed lots of omni on 42.
    Thanks for the response guys, I might drop in on that CoT meeting. No worries, I'll sit quietly in the corner.
    Pinkeltje

Your friendly little garden gnome, with red pointy hat, a pot belly and an assault rifle.

It's summer. At least that's what I keep telling myself. And it's almost always slow in AO during July and August. I tell that to myself too. But stick with it. I have several ideas I'm kicking around and maybe one of these days I'll finish fleshing one out and get it rolling.

It's not like the old days, pre-/rp, where people would come up to you at random and rp. Matter of fact if it wasn't for the randomness of rp, I probably would have never even know you could rp in a mmoRPG. lol

I'd say the bar outside Neuters 'r Us in Newland is one of the most active places for casual RP, although even when camping that chances that you'll meet anyone are quite rare. Some LTC's like Fishmen and the Why Not crew hang out there though. Leileena is usually somewhere in Newland, and up for a chat if I'm not duellogged playing some other char.

As suggested, Green Cloaks is a nice meeting to attend if possible. You get in touch with other roleplayers in an OOC fashion. There you can see what events are being run and possibly get involved in one.