Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - July 30th, 2010 - Go Go Community!

Why not Vhab? The MMORPG Ryzom which is commercial too, has even gone Open Source lately.
    Maybe it would not be so bad for AO to do that too.
    http://www.fsf.org/news/free-ryzom-1
    Happy employee of the Omni Tek corporation.
    I am destruction. I am creation. I am Engineer.
    Free Tradeskill Services on RK1. Includes AI Armor.

AOMover | AwesOme Script
    Open Source Licenses, enjoy your freedom

Seeing how much time it takes to patch servers, I don't want FC to do it often :P
    blah

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    I'm puzzled... What is DB doing in Ryzom?

http://www.ryzom.com/data/screenshots/karavanship.jpg
    If you look at this, it's like they have a floating city problem aswell.
    To Equip User Faction == Neutral

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    It's working for me though.
    That's great, and there are places where the model does shine. You seem to have an amount of willing beta testers (why they want to do it is uncertain to me) but the environment of programming-in-the-small seems to be very conductive to this sort of approach.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

soooo, servers are still up and its wednesday....no new playfield today or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I am sorry that the release of the "Mystery Building" has taken as long as it has. We had some significant problems getting it to work correctly (not floating...doors working etc) as no new buildings had been added for many years and the documentation of these systems left a little to be desired. However..with every cloud having a silver lining this delay gave Kintaii a chance to get the new open PvP playfield in a state ready for initial testing and we will be running some "event" type testing of this playfield on the live dimensions starting with the release of this update THIS WEEK. Possibly Tuesday but more likely Wednesday. This update will also include further tweaks to some of the daily instanced missions to make them scale *perfectly*. This update will also include new code to prevent friendly auras/aoe's from affecting your opponent in duels.
    Quote Originally Posted by heartless888 View Post
    soooo, servers are still up and its wednesday....no new playfield today or what?
    Soon™?
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by Jerusha View Post
    Why not Vhab? The MMORPG Ryzom which is commercial too, has even gone Open Source lately.
    Maybe it would not be so bad for AO to do that too.
    http://www.fsf.org/news/free-ryzom-1
    I was actually commenting on 'release often' rather than open source with my statement about not finding it suitable for AO.

From what I've gathered, pushing out patches is a time hogging task in AO.
    Best not to waste too much of FC's limited resources on patching more often.

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    (why they want to do it is uncertain to me)
    Why wouldn't they?
    Testing software and reporting bugs is a way of contributing to the development of software.
    If you had a tool you use often, wouldn't you want to help out a little to make it better?
    And of course there are those who just want early access to new features
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Aug 4th, 2010 at 15:47:58.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by tazalanche View Post
    Soon™?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarib View Post
    The Anarchy Online servers will come down for update 18.3.11 on 5th of August at 11:00 GMT / 7am EST. The downtime is scheduled to last about 4 hours.

To find out when the downtime is happening in your timezone please check this link.
    Last edited by Aimzor; Aug 4th, 2010 at 15:54:38.
    To Equip User Faction == Neutral

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Why wouldn't they?
    Testing software and reporting bugs is a way of contributing to the development of software.
    If you had a tool you use often, wouldn't you want to help out a little to make it better?
    And of course there are those who just want early access to new features
    There's 7 or so reasons why anyone would want to do beta testing... That's 2 important ones you listed. I didn't mean that it's beyond me why anyone would do that, but that the motivation in this case was uncertain to me.

If you want a "why wouldn't they": For instance, even though it would be for the greater good to help you out, with my available playtime being very scarce I'd very much just like a bot that works all the time and due to bot hosting concerns / cross-org chat functionality, deploying a new build every so often would be really painful. My hat's off to everyone who does, though (even if I don't have one in the avatar ) and specifically for you, Vhab for that great piece of software.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Actually, this was about my chat client
    Which is a bit easier to deploy and test.
    But thank you regardless.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    That's great, and there are places where the model does shine. You seem to have an amount of willing beta testers (why they want to do it is uncertain to me)
    In Vhab's case it's because he writes wonderfully clean code that is easy to read and modify. I would recommend checking out Vha.Chat to anyone interested in learning to code.
    Nelle, RK2 Clan Keeper
    Triskweline, RK2 Clan NT
    Zubrus, Grumpy Old Crat

Being OCD with your code organization is never a bad thing imo.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    Being OCD with your code organization is never a bad thing imo.
    Trim that bush.

Props to Vhab too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by If6Was9 View Post
    Trim that bush.
    Huh?
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor

Huh?
    Beware the sacrilege?
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Quote Originally Posted by ayria View Post
    huh?
    ocd
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Yes, what does OCD have to do with trimming a bush? If it's some joke I've clearly missed it
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

Yes, what does OCD have to do with trimming a bush? If it's some joke I've clearly missed it
    Trim, trim, trim.. never gets perfect, till it's all gone.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    Trim, trim, trim.. never gets perfect, till it's all gone.
    I see.

In my experience, with my own mother being OCD, she's more a "must organize everything efficiently and keep it clean" rather then a purge type till nothing's left. That's what I meant by OCD with code, clean and well documented, no doodles in the margins type thing.
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast