Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - August 6th, 2010 - Preemptively Recursive

I miss Cz
    i R not spik engrish

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    I got to disagree with you there....
    Just a tiny correction about your AO epitaph:
    People quit gaming for RL matters not because of ''..release broken stuff''.

Quote Originally Posted by mocs View Post
    However, some quit because of both given reasons.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

ive quit a few times back way when... when there was so much broken content.... but now I know why some things are broken when they are released instead of fixing it before it goes live....
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

Of course people quit online games because of Real Life, however I was here during the BAD YEARS... and at the time I had hundreds of people who I knew and most who left usually would tell me the reason... broken game was about 90% what got them to move out of AO.

Others couldn't afford the game (back before the Froob option), or just decided to try a different style of MMO (went to fantasy genre), others went with the few free-to-play MMO's at the time (which were too asian, heh) to save cash.

And then there was those who would jump ship because a new shiny MMO would come out.

I have the hope that we may regain some of the players who left after the new engine is out, to give AO another chance and maybe fall in love (gamer <3 ofc) with it once again.

In 2001, the graphics were awesome, if they were updated I think that feeling could be recreated, specially for those who have been gone a while.

Pray to the gaming gods...

“Frag not in malice, nor in anger for acts of revenge are of little or no profit to you or your team. Instead go forth with a ready-ness of mind and commitment in your heart to forget ones self and act in the best interest of all. Judge not thy camping brother for it is a legitimate military strategy in the real world, but employ him to see that he is in fact, not in the real world and should embrace the way of the gamer. Thou shalt not spawn kill for this is a grievous sin committed by only the most desperate of gamers. Follow this guidance brethren and it shall come to pass that the gods will bless your thumbs and steady your cross hairs. Amen”

I am the AO Archbishop of the Church of Gaming. Bow to Pope Ethan the First!
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Pray to the gaming gods...
    All 6 of my mates that I've introduced in unique life of AO since 2005 have given up playing for reasons related to real life:
    - you can't fed your baby with one hand and Tab+Q with the other,
    - monthly payment plan for a service that represent 1% of your time is ''money leak'',
    - demanding jobs or focus on college or even dramatic life turnovers.
    The sad thing is you can't get these guys back to AO whatsoever.
    That's all my knowledge about how people quit the game.

Happy Birthday Means!
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

All 6 of my mates that I've introduced in unique life of AO since 2005 have given up playing for reasons related to real life:
    - you can't fed your baby with one hand and Tab+Q with the other,
    - monthly payment plan for a service that represent 1% of your time is ''money leak'',
    - demanding jobs or focus on college or even dramatic life turnovers.
    The sad thing is you can't get these guys back to AO whatsoever.
    That's all my knowledge about how people quit the game.
    - If someone is holding a baby while playing AO at the same time, they have a problem, I'd drop the baby... j/k
    - Going out to see a movie these days cost at least $20 and it's 2hrs (if you lucky), which is about 0.13% of your time, and even playing AO casually, would cover the cost of entertainment.
    - RL work and studies should come first.

Kids grow up, people find time for new entertainment or going back to some old ones which were fun, and people who work/study do find down time to relax and that could include AO on a casual basis.

But, it don't mean they would, just that they MAYBE come back with the new graphic engine if they are even aware of it when it comes.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

On the subject of the invisible walls in the new PvP PF, I agree with an above poster that the visible walls should accurately reflect the paths you can take.

My proposal is simple. Make obvious walls that can be seen through. For reference: think something like the laser walls from the Obi-Wan + Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul fight scene.

If you wanna be oldschool, chainlink fence that's simply taller would work well.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post

4. More landmarks that make it obvious at quick glance where you are without having to look at the map.
    So can we expect a playfield map for this playfield?
    If so, it would be nice if you could include one for the actual BS.
    Shuzzy bureacrat

like broken wallets, and stupid jobs that require you to come in at dumb times ><
    AO: ▐ Renamed 220/30 adv▐ Giit 200/30 NT game over setup▐ Somethiing 199/21 Confused Sold▐ Sixunder 158/21 tard ▐ Eightup 150/20 flex▐ Giitjiit 57/6 NT▐
    FFXIV: Giit Paradisian - 50 CNJ/White Mage - Hyperion server

Quote Originally Posted by Frubaliscious View Post
    like broken wallets, and stupid jobs that require you to come in at dumb times ><
    Saturday 6pm-6am
    Sunday 2pm-10pm
    Monday 6am-2pm

I'm still trying to figure out when I'm supposed to sleep. It would annoy me much less If I had two 14 hour shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    Saturday 6pm-6am
    Sunday 2pm-10pm
    Monday 6am-2pm

I'm still trying to figure out when I'm supposed to sleep. It would annoy me much less If I had two 14 hour shifts.
    theres a lil bit of time to sleep inbetween. but you're not allowed to do anything else! no eating either!

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

that pvp playfield still has people in there? Worth reinstalling AO for?
    Freshman $oulez 220/25 atrox bureaucrat
    Freshman $oule$oldier 220/29 nanomage NT - Stuff (outdated)
    Freshman Duratrox 220/20 Kung fu master

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    that pvp playfield still has people in there? Worth reinstalling AO for?
    There are people there but I dunno if it's worth reinstalling AO for. The area is not very big and it's crammed with buildings so you are constantly trying to fight people that are zipping around corners and tight corridors. I guess it depends on how much fun you personally will get out of that setting when there are no rules or goals in the area.

When I first heard about the zone, I thought it was going to be an actual zone with open landscapes and such, where these buildings was just a small part of it. I also thought the mobs that drop VP would be higher level and would take at least a good alpha to kill. As it is, it's just this small square area crammed with buildings and gray mobs that die to 1 hit. Those that are after VP are just going to get chain killed and thus not have much fun getting that VP while PvP'ers are chasing each other around the buildings trying to land roots or get unrooted or cast nanos or use specials in the split second you have before your target vanishes behind yet another corner.

To me personally this area, in its current form, is a "dicking around area" more so than a PvP zone. People enter, dick around for a bit (clan vs omni 99% of the time) and then leave when the they get bored or when the enemies get bored. If you go back often for more dicking around depends on how much fun you personally think that is

I guess it's kinda fun to go there with a couple of guildies/friends and kill some omnis for a while but it's also repetitive when you kill that level 217 crat for the 17'th time or you start chasing that snare/root-spamming fixer around corners for the 15'th time. Killing a fixer in there is hard.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

I love dicking around I was watching pendorum on megavideo and after my 72minutes of watch my download is already over and installing see you soon ingame Have a feeling its gonna be a blast with my agent sneaking around
    Freshman $oulez 220/25 atrox bureaucrat
    Freshman $oule$oldier 220/29 nanomage NT - Stuff (outdated)
    Freshman Duratrox 220/20 Kung fu master

Ninetyeighththth.
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT

Quote Originally Posted by Beornin View Post
    Ninetyeighththth.
    pwnd
    AO: ▐ Renamed 220/30 adv▐ Giit 200/30 NT game over setup▐ Somethiing 199/21 Confused Sold▐ Sixunder 158/21 tard ▐ Eightup 150/20 flex▐ Giitjiit 57/6 NT▐
    FFXIV: Giit Paradisian - 50 CNJ/White Mage - Hyperion server

Quote Originally Posted by Beornin View Post
    Ninetyeighththth.
    can i has your stuff nao?
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast