Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO Universe Developer Interviews #3: Flaptoot

Funcom employee AO Universe Developer Interviews #3: Flaptoot

In the third of their series of developer interviews, AO Universe has sat down with the awesome Flaptoot to discuss his background, his interests, and what he's been up to in the two years since joining the Anarchy Online development team.

To read more, visit the following link: http://www.ao-universe.com/viewtopic.php?t=4207
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

interesting stuff!
    didnt know there was any dev on the AO team that hadnt played (or heared of O.o ) AO before being hired.

keep em coming!
    Greetings,

Ellarisa
    Darkellarisa 220/30/70 Engineer equipment pvp // Alien Deaths: 353
    Crazyella 220/30/70 MP equipment // Alien Deaths: 90
    Stabbingella 220/28/67 Shade equipment // Alien Deaths: 45
    Farming alien deaths since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidstriker View Post
    And Ella said, "Let there be robots," and there were robots. Ella saw that the robots were good, and he separated the light from the dark. Ella called the light "Slayerdroids," and the dark he called "Gladiatorbots." And there was Automations, and there was Warmachines- the second day.

nice read, curious about those updated bodies and how they look bugged
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

yea, nice interview, it surprises me that FC would hire someone who's never played the game before.. xD I guess it worked out good in the end anyway

yea, i'd like to see some kind of video when the new bodies are attached to the heads in action.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

Funcom employee

I should note that, as an artist, Flaptoot's unfamiliarity with the game is actually an asset to his position. MstrBstrd is a former player and very intimate with AO's setting, but when dealing with conceptual artistic direction (which is something that Flaptoot tends to focus on) having a pair of eyes that *isn't* 'locked in' to the previous look/style/feel of AO is quite important - Having a fresh perspective is something that helps keep the game's visual style growing, and Flaptoot's work has been fantastic thus far. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

like i said on IRC: i didnt say it's not possible or even a good thing, i'm just saying that i'm surprised

also about the bodies: will a skinny opi female buff look like a butt now or will it still look lik a box?

Greetings,

Ellarisa
    Darkellarisa 220/30/70 Engineer equipment pvp // Alien Deaths: 353
    Crazyella 220/30/70 MP equipment // Alien Deaths: 90
    Stabbingella 220/28/67 Shade equipment // Alien Deaths: 45
    Farming alien deaths since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidstriker View Post
    And Ella said, "Let there be robots," and there were robots. Ella saw that the robots were good, and he separated the light from the dark. Ella called the light "Slayerdroids," and the dark he called "Gladiatorbots." And there was Automations, and there was Warmachines- the second day.

Very nice read, gotte love the interviews Sounds like a dreamteam to work in :P Keep 'n commin!
    The key to happiness is self-delusion. Don't think of yourself as an organic pain collector racing toward oblivion. - Scott Adams

Programmer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code

Jesus paid for our sins - now let's get our money's worth

Quote Originally Posted by darkwalkx View Post
    Sounds like a dreamteam to work in
    I think so too which is why I want to work with them, even just answering phones and making coffee. However, I don't want to move there, I want them to move here. I have brought this up several times. So far my pleas have been met with silence.
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

keep trying, I'm sure you one day walk out of your home, facing a new funcom HQ at the end of the street!
    The key to happiness is self-delusion. Don't think of yourself as an organic pain collector racing toward oblivion. - Scott Adams

Programmer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code

Jesus paid for our sins - now let's get our money's worth

Quote Originally Posted by darkwalkx View Post
    keep trying, I'm sure you one day walk out of your home, facing a new funcom HQ at the end of the street!
    This is what happens in my dream of Funcom World Domination!!!

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

nice iview even if we'd lub to see some pix !
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

We love us them pix!
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

"During my interview Means asked me if I'd played it (we were standing in the AO office then, I was given a tour) to which I promptly answered "No." and quite enjoyed the silence afterwards."

I can imagine
    /Jekonam | 220 ma
    /Jekoslap | 220 crat
    /Jekoblack | 220 sold
    /Jekoblastah | 164 trader
    /Jekolandsubt | 158 doc
    /Jeko | 150 fixer
    /Jekonuke | 150 nt

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    I should note that, as an artist, Flaptoot's unfamiliarity with the game is actually an asset to his position. MstrBstrd is a former player and very intimate with AO's setting, but when dealing with conceptual artistic direction (which is something that Flaptoot tends to focus on) having a pair of eyes that *isn't* 'locked in' to the previous look/style/feel of AO is quite important - Having a fresh perspective is something that helps keep the game's visual style growing, and Flaptoot's work has been fantastic thus far. =)
    On the other hand, i hope you have guidelines regarding design style so as to maintain some continuity with the original designs...there is a lot of the early AO design stuff that has a unique 'signature' flavor to it.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Another comment from that interview that has me concerned:

" The new bodies look stunning when they are all just relaxing in 3DS Max, so I could show you that - but it would be a lie since they don't behave the way I want them to in the client yet. My mom told me not to lie, so sadly you'll have to wait until a majority of the animations don't make the meshes cry."

That sounds like the need to possibly redo character animations, which would be several orders of magnitude more involved than the head rework currently under way.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    Another comment from that interview that has me concerned:

" The new bodies look stunning when they are all just relaxing in 3DS Max, so I could show you that - but it would be a lie since they don't behave the way I want them to in the client yet. My mom told me not to lie, so sadly you'll have to wait until a majority of the animations don't make the meshes cry."

That sounds like the need to possibly redo character animations, which would be several orders of magnitude more involved than the head rework currently under way.
    It would be a lot easier to spend more time making the bodies work with the animations rather than spending even more time trying to make the animations work with the bodies.

It may be that a few animations are changed slightly because a few of them just refused to work with the new body-types but in any case, I doubt that they would redo all or even most of the animations, if any.

I personally don't worry about that. I think Flaptoot is just voicing his frustration with something that he and most other people expected to be an issue. I'm sure he will get it done soon enough. It's just fiddly work >.<

(disclaimer: I'm no expert on these things. I'm just thinking out loud here )
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    It would be a lot easier to spend more time making the bodies work with the animations rather than spending even more time trying to make the animations work with the bodies.

It may be that a few animations are changed slightly because a few of them just refused to work with the new body-types but in any case, I doubt that they would redo all or even most of the animations, if any.

I personally don't worry about that. I think Flaptoot is just voicing his frustration with something that he and most other people expected to be an issue. I'm sure he will get it done soon enough. It's just fiddly work >.<

(disclaimer: I'm no expert on these things. I'm just thinking out loud here )
    My reaction was that Flaptoot was just "Scotty-ing" us. In short he's making things sound worse than they really are (I'm giving her all she's got, Captain) so that when it's all complete we can sing his praises.

Member, GSP Dancers

Quote Originally Posted by vallikat View Post
    My reaction was that Flaptoot was just "Scotty-ing" us. In short he's making things sound worse than they really are (I'm giving her all she's got, Captain) so that when it's all complete we can sing his praises.
    Haha, yeah

Also reminds me of Rodney McKay from Stargate Atlantis
    Veteran of Equilibrium

So all we need to do is to somehow make Flaptoot fear for his life, and the solutions come out of nowhere? Cool!! *waits for Flaptoot to log ingame*
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

*threatens Flaptoot with an orange*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast