Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - August 13th, 2010: Friday the whatnow?

Funcom employee Friday with(out) Means - August 13th, 2010: Friday the whatnow?

Amazingly enough, for a Friday the 13th, not a whole lot has gone wrong today. This amazes me on several levels - Not that I'm a superstitious man by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems that most days of my life tend to suck in general so the fact that this one hasn't been anything dire makes it stand out regardless of the date. We even got the chance to show a player around a bit today - Racheloblade dropped in to check out the office and look at some of the new stuff we're working on; even got to show him the new engine, despite the fact that Parsed is unfortunately out sick today. Despite a few bugs that have cropped up in the last week or so, he seemed to really like what he got the chance to see - At any rate we now have at least one more person in the world who knows that the thing really does exist.

It's been a really busy week for me personally, as I've been cranking out work on the new PvP playfield like mad. This has been my first real step into doing worldbuilding (IE: actually 'creating' playfields) and I gotta admit it's been a total blast; MstrBstrd and Flaptoot both have been huge helps in getting me aquainted to the... er... "nuances" of working with TIDE (our worldbuilding software), and despite the fact that it can be a bit obtuse at times I really have enjoyed messing around in there and getting a chance to actually shape the world as I see fit. There have been tons of changes to the playfield, which will hopefully be hitting Testlive early next week (and with any luck actually seeing Live shortly there-after). Here's a brief list of what you guys can expect to see in the new version:
    • HP/NP regain inside the tower area.
    • Improved and expanded teleportation into the PvP area (seriously proud of this one, for real).
    • Banking and Surgery Clinic terminals inside the tower.
    • More distinct 'areas' within the zone.
    • Warping into the playfield has been removed (no more bacon wrap). Whoops. >< See post here: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...&postcount=169
    • Improved building collision - Still no jumping on top of the buildings, but you will be able to run underneath the overhangs and such.
    • No more fence near the 'junkyard' area!
    • More 'types' of Notum Miners running around with different pathing - They carry the same loot and are the same level, but at least now you'll see more than just the one regular Solitus Male wandering about.
    • More lights!

And a host of other little changes here and there. The playfield's really starting to get polished and it's about ready for prime-time; the next version we release to Live will still be just a testing version to make sure that we've got the last of the major bugs squashed out and then our next release after that should be the finalized version. I should note that there's still no shop in the tower area - This will be coming, but we're still working on getting the playfield set up to where you can use the various BS healing kits and such in there, so I didn't want to add the shop in until we have that working. There are a few other things we're working on spurned from the new area which will have a much larger influence on the game in general but I'm going to keep those quiet for just now as they're really dependent on getting code in the right spots - You'll have to wait to see what we've got up our sleeve on that front.

One thing I wanted to mention, though - Initially we talked about this playfield serving as a "waiting room" area for the Battle Stations. Now that we've had the playfield out on Live and have watched people going through, we're starting to rethink that a bit. Here's the thing - The only 'fair' way to tie this new playfield into the BS system is to *force* people to (A) sign up for the BS to get there, and (B) force people to *leave* and auto-join the BS when it runs. Now, in a perfect world, what would happen is that everyone would sign up, go kick it in the new playfield for a bit, and then go do a round of BS once it starts up. However.... I know you people. What's going to happen with that setup is that when the BS starts to run, people will just abandon ship - If we don't force them to join the BS, then it'll start and instantly finish due to a lack of people. If we *do* force 'em to join, they'll just accept the Deserter hit and end up grinding garbage eventually. This isn't fun for anyone - Not the people who want to join the new area, nor the people who just wanna start up a round of the BS. So we're thinking very heavily about separating the two and keeping the new area completely untied from the Battlestation, not forcing anyone to sign up for one just to be able to do the other.

Now, of course, this could potentially come with its own set of issues; naturally there's a chance that it will split the populace some, making BS run a bit less frequently. However, either way we go, there's that chance, and honestly it seems like its greater (and more annoying) if we go the route of forcing people to sign up for BS just to get to the new area. We've been reading the feedback posted in the 18.3 forums and this is a topic that's already come up quite a bit, with opinions from both sides of the debate. Since we can go either way at this point and nothing's written in stone, this is a chance for you guys to weigh in on what you think and how you feel about the situation. Do you guys think we should tie the new PvP playfield to the BS or not? And if we do, should we force people to join the BS after signing up if they're using this playfield? This is a tough decision on all fronts, so by all means share your opinion here in the thread. =)

While on the topic, I also want to thank everyone who's been running around in there and helping test the area/offering feedback. The amount of feedback we've gotten on the area has been fantastic, and most of it very valuable; getting the opinions and thoughts of the player base is always worth-while for us, particularly to me as a designer, and it's one of the reasons I really do wish we had more folks showing up on Testlive whenever we release a new update. Seriously, feedback *does* count for a lot when we're doing stuff like this, and the more feedback we receive the better the final product we can release to live. So if you haven't before, I'd really like you guys to consider checking out our Testlive forums, duplicating a character or two, and heading over there whenever we release a content update. Help *us* help *you*.

One thing I'm sure a lot of you guys are curious about: More Rebalancing documentation. Sorry to say we don't actually have anything this week, though - Between the big July Vacation Month thingy and other stuff cropping up at the office, work there has been slowed down just a bit. The Enforcer doc has been up for our Professionals for a couple of weeks now and is already being tweaked by Genele based on feedback, with the Fixer document set to go out to the Prof crew on Monday. With any luck next Friday will see Means tossing out both the Fixer and Enforcer documents for you guys, along with the finalized version of the long-awaited "Nemesis Nano" document. So yeah, next Friday should be pretty busy for you guys. =D

Aaaaaaaaaaaand... uh... hrm. Yeah, ok, that's about it I guess. Should be enough to get you guys settled into some calm, rational, mature discussion (read: ninteen posts of "first/second/3rd/89th" followed by six pages of people (A) wondering where the new engine video is [no i dont have it] and (B) trolling). Hope your Friday the 13th didn't completely blow, hope you have a great weekend, and we'll see you guys again soon. Cheers! =D

PS: Since I know someone's gonna ask, no, Means is just fine and was in the office today. Just had to dash out a bit early and was running really short on time, so I volunteered to take over the post. Nothing to worry about, The Man is just fine. ;P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

in before too asian
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

too asian
    blah

too asian

edit: god damnit.
    I love AO but I'm never that good at it!
    SL rocks.

Wall of text, se first post.

Wow, that's a lot of text!

not first

Kintaii you should start to show us shiny blinky pics every time, this will attract people more than text of wall.

but nice to read that

first page? now to read it...

Edit: Read it, great stuff! - Looking forward to this. A thing to consider is the "problem" clan dont attack clan, omni team with omni, issue. Is this mayhem or what?
    I dont like the idea to force people to do BS just because they want a 2nd way to obtain VPs or just kill time chillin with friends. But maybe have some sort of system that those that sign up for BS and join new pvp field while waiting to get BS running, get an advantage over people that just sign up to BS. What that advantage can be (200vps?) or something is for you to think about

Oh, btw I love my new Means's T-shirt =)
    Last edited by Xymlior; Aug 13th, 2010 at 16:30:49.
    First NT in AO to loot Alien Combat Directive Controller

First!

DHO! xD
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    One thing I'm sure a lot of you guys are curious about: More Rebalancing documentation. Sorry to say we don't actually have anything this week, though - Between the big July Vacation Month thingy and other stuff cropping up at the office, work there has been slowed down just a bit. The Enforcer doc has been up for our Professionals for a couple of weeks now and is already being tweaked by Genele based on feedback, with the Fixer document set to go out to the Prof crew on Monday. With any luck next Friday will see Means tossing out both the Fixer and Enforcer documents for you guys, along with the finalized version of the long-awaited "Nemesis Nano" document. So yeah, next Friday should be pretty busy for you guys. =D
    Thanks for clearing that up, i was just about to go, but heeey what about that stuff?!?!?!?!......
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

First page

Offering people the choice to join the new PvP area when they sign up for BS is a good compromise, surely? So they don't have to if they don't want to.

And make it so people can still enter the area without signing up for BS...

--Argo
    Last edited by Argotach; Aug 13th, 2010 at 16:24:56.
    Tacharnan - 220/27/70 neut Advy, NEPA [s]
    Argo - 210/23 neut Fixer, NEPA
    Argottus - 183 omni Fixer (froob)
    DrZhivargo - 153/11 neut Doc, NEPA
    Tacharkeep - 150/9 omni Kipper
    Argoleech - 106 omni Tarder (froob)
    Argomp - 73 neut MP (froob), NEPA
    Tachargo - 55/6/14 neut Fixer, NEPA

RK2 | TLFivePlus | Omneut

Orangutan!

Hmm, was I supposed to say an ordinal number here?
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

quite honestly see some nice stuff here
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

/yawn

Thankfully, every day that passes is another day closer to SWTOR launch.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Well, on the subject of the new PvP PF i have this to say:
    I'd like to have a dialy hit of app. 1.2k VP once per day ( like the BS-daily) on a 150 toon, i would like this to be gained through PvM, i dont mind working for it a bit.
    Being farmed by PvP geared toons 15 mins per day is a craptastic way of ending my AO-day.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    /yawn

Thankfully, every day that passes is another day closer to SWTOR launch.
    Love you too, dude.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Now, of course, this could potentially come with its own set of issues; naturally there's a chance that it will split the populace some, making BS run a bit less frequently. However, either way we go, there's that chance, and honestly it seems like its greater (and more annoying) if we go the route of forcing people to sign up for BS just to get to the new area. We've been reading the feedback posted in the 18.3 forums and this is a topic that's already come up quite a bit, with opinions from both sides of the debate. Since we can go either way at this point and nothing's written in stone, this is a chance for you guys to weigh in on what you think and how you feel about the situation. Do you guys think we should tie the new PvP playfield to the BS or not? And if we do, should we force people to join the BS after signing up if they're using this playfield? This is a tough decision on all fronts, so by all means share your opinion here in the thread. =)
    YEs, tie them together, in the sence of upon bs join you get auto placed in the pvp area and if you later choose to /afk out of bs you get the deserter nano that makes you stay outside of the fun for 15 mins, i don't see any downside to this really
    You're not supposed to go in there as an easy way of farming vp, if you want to do that there are other ways, although slower...
    Last edited by nanoforcer; Aug 13th, 2010 at 16:28:22.
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

I know the whole idea of forcing people to join in on BS sounds a little bit to Control Freak, but it is a way to make sure BS does not die of due to having no volunteers for it. I was able to play around in the new PVP area, it was much fun and I gained a ton of VP I found it faster to get VP in the new area more so then a 20 min round of BS.

So maybe instead of "Forcing People" To join BS before the PVP area. Maybe there should be a little reward for signing up for both. You Sign up for BS, and you can either go in the PVP area or you can go about your business in another way.

Rewards could be from VP, XP, Tokens a shirt that says "I got pwned?" hehe :P ? idk... The whole idea of forcing me to do something turns me off :P

=^-^= End Rant
    Luckystarr ~ Luckyhealz ~ Luckyrepairs ~ Luckycloverz ~ Luckysuffy ~ Luckyemo ~ Luckybuff ~ Lucky ~ Luckysneak ~ Luckybank ~ Luckylucky =^-^=

first page!
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Now, of course, this could potentially come with its own set of issues; naturally there's a chance that it will split the populace some, making BS run a bit less frequently. However, either way we go, there's that chance, and honestly it seems like its greater (and more annoying) if we go the route of forcing people to sign up for BS just to get to the new area.
    Any thoughts of changing the BS daily mission so that when the BS goes the way of the Dodo, it will not take the daily with it? Maybe modified to something about promulgating Anarchy or something?

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast