Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - August 13th, 2010: Friday the whatnow?

everything sounds fine and dandy buuuut, i still want to be able to tab everyone, having to ctrl tab makes it really a pain since all we ever do is pvp other omnis on RK1

is there anything you guys can do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    Based on what evidence? BSs were mostly dead at the launch of LE ...
    I don't know where you have been, but after LE launch BS was lagging and crashing, because there were huge amounts of people inside. Just after some time when crybabies started to whine how much time it takes to farm stuff, FC increased VP rewards and brought PvMers to BS
    i R not spik engrish

Red face Where Is of No Concern

Sounds like a face saving attempt to put BS out of it's misery and replace it with the new pvp playfields. I think pvp in its present form just does not cut it, so where is of no concern to me.
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.
    New content does not have to make old content obsolete.

The only PvP that exists in this game is forced upon players who dont want to do it. Forcing players to do things they dont want is a very good way of loosing customers.

Honestly, I think it is a huge mistake to create new content instead of fixing the existing one. Specially new content that is of interest to almost no one.
    We need a good PvM game with fun PvP. Fix the PvM part, with a very intense focus on retaining new players. Fix the PvP to make it enjoyable for all, which is a long term process (because it can not allow any setups that give obvious advantages).

The PF that gives the most VP is going to survive. The other one only has a chance if it gives something else then VPs. For both PFs to survive they need to be good for diferent things. Your choice mister game developer. Trust me, im a doctor.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Way of fixing the BS issue:

1. I think the new pvp map should be separate and yes, this will cause an influx of people to that map rather than BS.

2. The reason for the loss in numbers at BS has come along way before the arrival of a new pvp map. What really needs to happen to balance out the areas populations is for BS to also be revamped. As a beginner pvper on TL5 BS, I am already a bit bored of the same surroundings over and over, and I can only imaging what the longest playing PVP members of the AO community have to say about it's mundane quality.

:: Suggestions :: [Disclaimer] I am not a programmer nor am I a video game design expert, let alone an MMORPG map creator so I do not know anything from those view points, all I can suggest are based on my player experience.

1. Different Maps in Battle Stations- Tired of the old Star Trek capture the flag motif? --Me too. Maybe a new space layout or something alien (since that seems to be the rage these days).

2. More customization - With other games that are well into the PVP category, there are separate queue systems that operate, one for arranging a team to play against in a let's say 5v5 kind of situation (which encourages team play and allows people to really settle scores in BS by being able to compete with those you truly find yourself rivaled against), as well as a "random" queue which places you into a predetermined match by matchmaking.

3. More scenarios - Capture the flag is a great game -- if you're at summer camp. In the future there have got to be other ways of competition, whether it's collecting something, killing someone, or just having some other objective other than zerging bases and spawn camping until your little blue or red meter hits 500, and then you sign up for another indulging round of the same thing over and over.

Note: Again, these are just suggestions that may make playing in BS more inciting and give equal competition to the population that would then move to the open area pvp zone if BS stays the same. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by artist989 View Post
    3. More scenarios - Capture the flag is a great game -- if you're at summer camp. In the future there have got to be other ways of competition, whether it's collecting something, killing someone, or just having some other objective other than zerging bases and spawn camping until your little blue or red meter hits 500, and then you sign up for another indulging round of the same thing over and over.
    Personally, I like the "hold an object" type matches. There is an item, let's call it a Sacred Notum Chalice, that sits on a pedestal in the Core. Each side rushes to pick it up. Once it is held by either side, the point ticker starts. If the person holding it is killed, it drops to the floor, the ticker stops, and it can be picked up by anyone else. Something like that promotes more team work and fun in BS. But I digress...

New and improved BS maps, scenarios, etc. would really revitalize Battlestation. But I'm not sure it would actually draw more people in. I'm divided on whether to tie the new PF to BS. I'd hate to see Battlestation die, but I also think that one of the most discouraging things about Battlestation is how quickly you get wtfbbqpwnt as a PvMer going up against similar level PvP twinks. So, if you make the new PvP PF enticing to those PvPers and draw them away from BS (which most of them don't think of as "real" PvP anyway), then it might not be so disappointing to the PvMer that usually spends 80% of their BS time in decon, and the rest sitting in an APT somewhere. Of course, that means that you're going to have to find a way to get them in there in the first place so that they can see it's safe to go into the waters again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Ultimate solution: make BS 75% zone full of leets which drop tons of VP, so PvMers can easily farm OFAB (which is PvM armor, not PvP as intended). In new miner zone remove VP completely, but make reward as glowing epeen, more you kill, it grows bigger. All happy
    i R not spik engrish

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Do you guys think we should tie the new PvP playfield to the BS or not? And if we do, should we force people to join the BS after signing up if they're using this playfield? This is a tough decision on all fronts, so by all means share your opinion here in the thread. =)
    In my opinion, the best solution would be to send the BS queue to the new playfield sometimes and the normal BS sometimes, essentially making the new playfield a new BS map like people have been suggesting for years. It keeps things fresh in my opinion, and ensures that both areas get used. It'd also be a lot of fun after a few rounds of normal BS, to go into a crazy FFA brawl.
    Craized - 220/30 Adventurer
    Haized - 220/30 Adventurer
    Medpills - 220/24 Doctor

Redemption

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Amazingly enough...
    tl;dr

But seriously.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

When I originally suggested an arena in which players could enter to fight and be stripped of outside buffs I also suggested they be stripped of all equipment - essentially entering a default avatar, with default nanos and weapons, temporarily - so that the contest would be one of skill, not twinking .... and considerably less cheating possible.

BS got about half of that right. Still, if pvp'ers think they'd do so well against pvm'ers in a fight of raw models I'd like to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by heartless888 View Post
    everything sounds fine and dandy buuuut, i still want to be able to tab everyone, having to ctrl tab makes it really a pain since all we ever do is pvp other omnis on RK1

is there anything you guys can do about it?
    I think it should be mandatory that everyone in there is tabbable regardless of side. Last time I went in it was entirely omni (I'm not kidding, every single person), plus me a lone Neutral. Guess who was the only person tabbable, and therefore ganged up on by 4-8 people everytime I got out of grace period? Meantime, I would poke around this zone in sneak and watch the Omnis just standing around looking at eachother (except for the SM ranged advies who were killing the SM trader).

There's not enough chaos in there with only tabbing opposite faction people. It's a 0% zone for a reason, but the description upon entering is wrong. It's not mayhem.
    Quote Originally Posted by If6Was9 View Post
    When I originally suggested an arena in which players could enter to fight and be stripped of outside buffs I also suggested they be stripped of all equipment - essentially entering a default avatar, with default nanos and weapons, temporarily - so that the contest would be one of skill, not twinking .... and considerably less cheating possible.

BS got about half of that right. Still, if pvp'ers think they'd do so well against pvm'ers in a fight of raw models I'd like to see it.
    This would at least be a fun PvP event for FC to host.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by nubbs View Post
    Test has a low low low population right now.
    Gates I have seen you there, brief

...snip...

Here's two old posts of mine that are still very much valid as to the point where these issues have been and still are the reasons why I don't "waste" my time on test server:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Logged on there a few times now, but wtf do I do there???

1. Walk around ICC looking for bugged polygons/textures???
    2. Are there any particular things that needs checked/"debugged"... Like a list???
    3. Do "they" expect me to play on test as if it was a live server??? At the risk of a character wipe at any given point in time!
    4. Why do I have to earn bugsy points to get various kinds of buffs/gear/advantages in order to test FC's new/old content???
    5. Why do I get a sense of having to earn the right to test their game for "free", when I'm actually paying FC to do so, by having to pay for my expansions in order to do test it???

Some meaningfull answers to the above questions, might help me decide to spend some time on test to the supposed benefit of everyone... Even if I have to pay FC to be entitled to test/debug/whatever their game.

This post is not in any way intended to be hostile or anything, but the way it works REALLY makes no sense to me whatsoever, and makes it really hard for me to decide to spend time on Test, when the alternative is spending time on live having fun with friends and helping them, as well as helping my org run and so on and so forth...
    Exactly...
    Gimme a list of priority things to test and I will donate some time to do it...

Let's take the raid interface for example...
    How do I test that?

When I log on to test I may see 1-2 people running around by themselves, Do I just send a (raid) invite or what am I supposed to do...

Is there anything like a list of things that is missing to be tested?... Is there anything like a list of bugs/issues/whatever that needs to be confirmed?

Is there anything like a list of things/bugs/issues/exploits already tested/confirmed???

I'm willing to help out, but I dont wan't to waste my time running around like a headless chicken, with no goal or greater plan...
    Last edited by Mekh; Aug 14th, 2010 at 00:18:49.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

5th page ftw

also:

*gives kintaii a beer*

given that people are still unsure of testlive here is an Official thread by the Bug hunters given information towards it, http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=390224 ---- its kindof getting old with all these Testlive attacks you all are doing towards us, if you think you can do a better job then please come on there and find bugs in content that we are supposidly missing.... we are players just like you, we are volunteering our time to try and make this a greater game, so please stop attacking testlive its my server always will be, I am happy being there, I am happy seeing the things before everyone else, I am happy to help funcom into making it a better game funcom does their job, but with such a great deal of content isn't it better to have volunteers to help do it? so that way you can focus on so much more?
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Krattonomic View Post
    given that people are still unsure of testlive here is an Official thread by the Bug hunters given information towards it, http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=390224 ---- its kindof getting old with all these Testlive attacks you all are doing towards us, if you think you can do a better job then please come on there and find bugs in content that we are supposidly missing.... we are players just like you, we are volunteering our time to try and make this a greater game, so please stop attacking testlive its my server always will be, I am happy being there, I am happy seeing the things before everyone else, I am happy to help funcom into making it a better game funcom does their job, but with such a great deal of content isn't it better to have volunteers to help do it? so that way you can focus on so much more?
    I am not attacking the people helping out on test server and I never will...

but... I am attacking the way test server is run... See my post above.

EDIT:
    You actually DID take your time to answer those as best you could once.... but the part in red is really what is my biggest turn-off by far with regards to spending time on test server.
    Last edited by Mekh; Aug 14th, 2010 at 00:17:57.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

I am not attacking the people helping out on test server and I never will...

but... I am attacking the way test server is run... See my post above.
    everyone is able to log on freely, yes those that dont follow rules there do get punished, and by those means they are no longer able to log onto testlive, other then that theres always the given right to be on there, and do as you please, idealy yes we can lose our characters at any given time, but there has not been a major character reset since around 2002, so thats not been mentioned and probably will never happen again, the transfer character deletes havnt been happening from my knowledge, the content to be tested on there well we have been asking for lists of what needs to be tested from time to time, and its been said that it is best to test everything cause one code can break another code, so its always best to test everything on there.... but we cant always test everything with such a low population

Who are you talking to?
    Veteran of Equilibrium

everyone that is unsure of why we exist Wrangeline, theres reasons as to why testlive was born... im just not entirely sure, I just know im there to play and to test content

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    VP is gasoline!
    It helps get the fire started

VP attracts random people, random people attracts PVP'ers, PvPers and random people attract more PvP'ers.

VP just helps it get started and stay active more often.
    Yes. There needs to be an incentive to do things for most people - for some it's getting a five figure kill count, but not for most. Since the content also needs people to keep it alive, ways of keeping the people there are required.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    Based on what evidence? BSs were mostly dead at the launch of LE...

It's completely untested and nothing we've seen so far shows it to be a fact.

Also you shouldn't use gasoline to start a fire. At least not a controlled one.
    Back when LE was launched, even the 175-199 battle station would run several times. I know because I was there, all it took was a few shouts on OOCs to get the people in there and though most of us were total noobs it was exciting. I know for a fact the 50-74 battle station had its heyday, and 20-49 is still trying hard, with 150-174 strangely having picked up in activity really a lot from the beginning of June. So much for "mostly dead", unless you want to really define that in a way that suits you. The dead-ness nowadays comes from a declining population, a game structure that encourages stops at certain level ranges then rushing to the next and boredom&issues with the BS layout.

Also, diesel fuel is better for starting fires. But gasoline makes it really interesting, and that's what I am looking for, at least - excitement. Sure, even on a hardcore PvP twink, there are some opponents where you just know you're going to die, but there is much chance for exciting, heart-racing moments for anyone.

Though I do understand some people would rather not PvP at all. After all, in any PvP engagement that is carried out to the end, there is a flat 50% chance you're the one dead, rather than the 1% chance that is the norm in PvM. Some people don't like that. But then again, in this case it's the age old argument: Why whine about PvP areas? You can do quite well without the benefits that can be gained from those - towers and contracts are not decisively necessary for PvM, neither is OFAB unless you're planning some weird PvM twink, in which case you can happily farm your VP in LE missions. After all, PvPers need to do their PvM as well, PvMers have the choice not to do any PvP if they so desire.

Signed, someone who likes both PvM and PvP.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

I have been on Test server from time to time but I never find myself doing anything productive. The problem lies in this kind of stuff:

we have been asking for lists of what needs to be tested from time to time, and its been said that it is best to test everything cause one code can break another code, so its always best to test everything on there...
    FC should give a list of new changes every time test server receives a new patch. Players should have access to whatever they need (that a normal player would have access to) to test anything they can think of surrounding those changes. FC should not expect that players being given such a list will keep them from testing other stuff that "one line of code might affect".

A MMO is just to complex of a game for players to test willy nilly. There has to be some focus going on or else people will do what I do. Which is to log in there once or twice a day for a few weeks only to have no pertinent info to work with and such. The only reason I was able to do anything remotely productive at all the last time I was on test was because I had read FWM on forum and knew that test server had just received the new daily missions. So I knew I could try them out and provide some feedback. Beyond that, I never had anything to work with when I logged onto test server so I didn't get anything productive done.

The people playing on test server are awesome though. Very helpful and fun to talk to. Just wish that whoever is ultimately in charge of that server takes a more structured and focused approach to testing so that people like me can feel useful and not feel so lost
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Aug 14th, 2010 at 00:34:56.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast