Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - August 13th, 2010: Friday the whatnow?

Dear Kintaii,

I haven't read what others has posted, but if you want the pvp area to be active with alot of people in it, you're just gonna have to disable teams weather you want it or not.

I see people every single day saying "ooh the new pvp area sucks, it's just clan vs omni, they all team up and zerg on one poor guy all together"

And sadly, many people are that "poor little guy", they just dont enjoy it, and that "poor little guy" can be a hardcore pvper, but still a hardcore pvper can't face a whole team of hardcore pvpers, thats just how it is, so just by disabling teams, this new playfield would get alot more attention and players in it, and mabey then, you can even make the playfield bigger, cause ppl sign up to BS cause that's the only pvp they can find (except for duels, NW, and bor pvp) if you dont count on them, theres no other place to pvp, where ppl actually pvp anymore, except for pvp area, but! that place will be dead very soon, trust me.

Fix it ASAP.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

I am totally for the way they have the AoC Testserver but where as one server has that, I dont get why they havnt approached that for AOs Testserver
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    stuff
    Every now and then we get some new enthusiastic BH who is going to change things like post patch notes (if they get some info from FC that is) and other stuff that people are complaining about.. usually lasts for week or two...
    It is kind of stupid that we have no clue about new stuff unless it's something big.
    I just accidentally found lock equipment option for example..

EDIT: I'm not blaming Bug Hunters for anything, they are volunteers just like other players on test.. it's FC that has to change things on test
    Last edited by Suicidal; Aug 14th, 2010 at 00:54:51.
    <Means> I always laugh when I have to type "/get sex" when debugging

[Social] Eponyx: I don't drink, yeah it is true. Can you please get that pink moose of the platform. And park the polkadot elephant to reclaim.

Uaintseenme: This is why i love Test sever so Much.
    I can wake up in the morning and think to my self, "Im going to break AO today" and should i managed to do it, I'll get rewarded for it.

My issues with Testlive don't stem from any special rules or worrying about getting kicked out, or any kind of disagreement between myself and other testers.

My issues stem from the fact that we are basically being told, by Funcom, that for starters we have to pay them to test their stuff. There's work, where you get paid to do stuff, there's volunteering where you do stuff for free... then there's Testlive where you pay someone else to allow you to work.

Now many of us are willing to put this aside and go test anyway because we love the game and want to see Live working properly, and I'm sure there's those who want that chance at a sneak peak at new and upcoming things.

But once we're there there is no kind of useful structure set in place to help us.

When I test my code I do just that - I test what I wrote. We know leveling works, we know looting works, we know equipping things works, what we don't know is if the new content works. So why do I have to first level, and loot, and gather money and equip things and twink things (largely by myself thanks to a low population where at times you're one of a handful people on the entire server) just so that I can go test the new content? (Yes I know of the transfer to testlive, that however does not guarantee someone has a toon in range or the type of gear needed to effectively test things, how does transferring a 220 from Live help test level 15 dailies?)

Do you think Funcom does it that way internally? Do you think when they build a new PF or add in a new function that their GMs or whoever tests the stuff rolls a new level 1 toon and starts from scratch up to the point where they can test this new content effectively?

No, they jump right to it. They rig their character with whatever gear and level they want.

Am I saying to give us all GM powers when we're on Test? No, but something that allows us to set our level and gear (without the rest of the GM powers) would be perfect. (breed and prof also would be even better)

But what about those people who'll just play Barbi and build their best setup and test it in duels with others? Boo hoo. Yes there will be twits who use it just to have some fun, but it's not hurting Live and if it breaks something - hey look, they found a bug while on Testlive!

At the same time it would allow those of us who are serious about testing to get any gear we want so that we can test stuff like Collector (example, I know it's already on live) with tip top gear and the ideal professions and then levels of less ideal gear and profession mixes so that we can give feedback needed to truly make it a challenge, while still possible, to everyone without needing to farm Bugsy points and gather a huge crowd of multiple professions and levels.

Perhaps I'm being to idealistic.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Siyra View Post
    no you actually arn't and they have this system already in place on Age of Conan, when I see Lindelu again or even Metaing ill ask if its possible if we could get one for our testlive, although the way Testlive is ran, is how its been ran since it was created....
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

Actually test live is not being ran like it was at first. I was there from Pre-NW thru AI. I lived through the character wipe. Pre-wipe toons had been adjusted in ways that you could never get on the live server. These super toons were just as much a problem as the now under powered toons are. That is why it was wiped. There is still the wipe notice and why in the forum archives for those that have access to the testserver section if you want to check it out.

Don't take this wrong but the toons that live on testlive are pretty underpowered compared to a good deal of the top toons on live. And this is common across all level ranges. It is why people say that instances turn out easy and PVP is not balanced.

And in the 3 years I played on test we had 1 yes 1 PVP event and it was not to test anything with a patch it was Middlewolf wanting to who was the toughest toon on that night at like 2 AM EST.

As for having a testlive toon. On live I can take a TL5 toon and in a week be fully equipped in 225-250 Ofab. On Testlive I need some stupid amount of bugsy points to get the same armor because the BS does not run. It could be a month or more to get my armor. The same can be said about any equipment that is the norm on live it is just a pita to get on testlive. So unless I copy my live toon over and transfer everything over to my testlive toon I could be months before I get to a point where I can be equipped the same.

FC's method of running the testserver is really preventing content getting tested like it is played on live. And that reason is why I came back to RK1. I was tired of playing a different game on testlive then RK1/2 was playing.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Now, of course, this could potentially come with its own set of issues; naturally there's a chance that it will split the populace some, making BS run a bit less frequently. However, either way we go, there's that chance, and honestly it seems like its greater (and more annoying) if we go the route of forcing people to sign up for BS just to get to the new area. We've been reading the feedback posted in the 18.3 forums and this is a topic that's already come up quite a bit, with opinions from both sides of the debate. Since we can go either way at this point and nothing's written in stone, this is a chance for you guys to weigh in on what you think and how you feel about the situation. Do you guys think we should tie the new PvP playfield to the BS or not? And if we do, should we force people to join the BS after signing up if they're using this playfield? This is a tough decision on all fronts, so by all means share your opinion here in the thread. =)
    There are more issues involved that would determine the best course of action beyond the PVP playfield and BS. My reply will be longer than your OP, so I hope you actually read this far so it was not a complete waste of time.

If more PVM oriented and fast paced means of VP acquisition is instituted:
    In this case, Battlestation would no longer be relevant in its current state. The PVPers would focus on the open PVP playfield while the PVMers would never enter any of the PVP areas. The battlestation daily mission would not be enough to encourage players to attend either, and would be better off changing to a "kill a miner in the pvp zone" mission. With no PVMers attending battlestation, the likelihood of Battelstation starting is non-existant and the zone would become dead and unused as it is at several title levels now.

PVPers do not like a good battlestation round ending, PVMers do not like spending the entirety of the time in battlestation being hunted down by player killers. As PVPers are not opposed to doing the pvm VP content either, the main appeal of where they go will obviously be the best source of active pvp. Including shops, treatment labs, HP and NP regain areas, etc, you are encouraging the pvpers to "loiter" in a zone that caters to their desires, but you have not established a reason for people to participate with better ways of gaining VP available.

The pvp zone still seems to lack PVM appeal, but pvpers will not complain as long as they know how many players are actively inside their respective zones and players are actually participating. Unfortunately, they may feel flagging in borealis and attracting attackers is still their best means for finding pvp.

PVP zone = low attendance.
    BS = low to no attendance.

Forcing or seperating the two areas would be irrelevant.

If no fast VP gain PVM option was introduced:
    This is highly unlikely but would dictate player actions. PVMers hate being farmed by PVPers, and whether it is from being forced to do battlestation for VP or forced to participate in the PVP zone for VP, they will be dissatisfied regardless of the location as they are now. As battlestation requires less PVP encounters and PVMers can hide under the protection of mechs and turrets, the PVMers would be likely to follow their same routine of wait until 150-170 or 220 and try to farm their VP at battlestation.

The pvp zone would only be populated by sparse pvpers as killing the same few people over and over again can get tiresome. Occasionally gankers will attempt to kill groups of other factions that may linger in the pvp zone, but do not expect large groups of pvpers who do not need the VP to constantly populate the area.

So, curious pvmers would wander in, then never return after being hunted down by a few pvpers as they wander the zone. PVPers would get bored of the low population, and would maintain battlestation attendance at the only active level ranges with a few groups farming the pvp zone as if it was a pvm area.

PVP zone = low attendance.
    BS = current attendance (low to moderate).

Forcing attendance in the PVP zone would discourage PVMers from doing either let alone leave the safe areas. Seperating the zones does nothing to encourage participation beyond our current levels.

If a PVM style fast VP gain option was incorporated into the PVP zone:
    PVMers want a fast method of gaining VP but do not want to PVP to acquire it. This is sensible as the majority of the VP rewards are equally or better suited for PVM rather than PVP. PVPers generally exist in two mindsets at pvp zones like battlestation; one mindset likes any target that increases their score and simply allows the player to kill them, and the other mindset involves players who seek challenging opponents to defeat. If there was an option that could incorporate a PVM style into the PVP zone, it is likely you make the two prominent pvp mindsets happy, but you also promote a third mindset that you generally see at tower wars and tarasque.

The third mindset are pvpers that like making use of multiple toolsets, ie groups of players, to accomplish a goal against other groups of players. With a fast VP gain in the PVP zone that also required team work, you would appeal to many players. The PVMers would be able to farm, but would be hunted by the first group that simply wants pvp scores. The second group would linger around the PVMers to kill attackers, but they generally could care less about killing them (if you monitor BS rounds, you will often see groups of skilled players simply grouped together chatting and occasionally pvping, letting pvmers or weaker players pass). The third group would attempt to organize the PVMers and skilled players into groups that could protect the farmers. Hopefully, you would even cause groups of PVMers with PVP protectors forming to battle over areas. You would, in a sense, create small scale "turf wars" in the PVP zones. Battlestation attendance would be non-existant, but each level of the PVP zones would likely be active as groups would be created for the goal of PVP zone participation and farming.

A simple method of doing this could be a Lord of the Void style mob that requires a group to take down, which would be vulnerable to attackers unless others are also protecting them. Raid Interfaces should not be allowed obviously (afk VP farming would be an issue I assure you), but I think people would generally be satisfied with this option. It does not have to be static either, but could move around the zone to different locations causing increased danger and possiblity of encountering other players (prevents static farming).

PVP zone = High attendance
    BS = No attendance

Forcing BS attendance would make the PVM encounter inneffective and would discourage players. Seperating the two would cause battlestation to completely die out.

The problem here, however, is the number of players that would want to protect the "open-pvp" style of this zone and eliminate any essence of pvm that even battlestation currently has with mechs and turrets. There would also be PVMers that would undoubtedly left out of the faster VP gain, so the issue would be players who would gain VP slower than they could currently but I do not think that is honestly possible asside from the groups that organize "VP farms".

There are more possibilities, and probably more accurate assesments of the options. Either way, it will be the VP acquisition that will likely determine participation in the pvp areas regardless of forced BS attendance or not. There is the option of introducing specific rewards for participation beyond the current VP and a single PVP mission, but I do not know how much you guys are willing to incorporate into what still seems to be an open pvp area. I would still highly reccomend a method for players to know the number of participants in a pvp zone, even those outside the level ranges.

An observation I would like to note heavily based on current live testing, when lower level "med-suit gimps" were being beacon warped into the zone and many other pvpers were able to see but not attack them, a lot of people wished they could bring their toons inside just to kill them. If you get people farming the pvp zone, you will make others want to participate and stop them. Just make the zone worth attending and people will use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Actually test live is not being ran like it was at first. I was there from Pre-NW thru AI. I lived through the character wipe. Pre-wipe toons had been adjusted in ways that you could never get on the live server. These super toons were just as much a problem as the now under powered toons are. That is why it was wiped. There is still the wipe notice and why in the forum archives for those that have access to the testserver section if you want to check it out.

Don't take this wrong but the toons that live on testlive are pretty underpowered compared to a good deal of the top toons on live. And this is common across all level ranges. It is why people say that instances turn out easy and PVP is not balanced.

And in the 3 years I played on test we had 1 yes 1 PVP event and it was not to test anything with a patch it was Middlewolf wanting to who was the toughest toon on that night at like 2 AM EST.

As for having a testlive toon. On live I can take a TL5 toon and in a week be fully equipped in 225-250 Ofab. On Testlive I need some stupid amount of bugsy points to get the same armor because the BS does not run. It could be a month or more to get my armor. The same can be said about any equipment that is the norm on live it is just a pita to get on testlive. So unless I copy my live toon over and transfer everything over to my testlive toon I could be months before I get to a point where I can be equipped the same.

FC's method of running the testserver is really preventing content getting tested like it is played on live. And that reason is why I came back to RK1. I was tired of playing a different game on testlive then RK1/2 was playing.
    Finally someone got it.

And to those that say it works, I have one word for you : Collector.

I was on first team to "beat it" on Test Live.. Hey! DAMN me for not trying using /stuck or doing it 20 times in a row to check the loot table...

Like it was said before, give me rewards on LIVE for doing stuff on the Test Server, and I totally agree with the basic idea of objectives/goals/whatever needs to be tested so we dont run around like headless chickens.

To CoT : these are not personal attacks on you guys. I can understand that you like the community so much there, that you dont mind running around in 220s with persisting symbs and Predator armor.. but that doesent reflect the reality of the player base.

Now this may be over simplifying things a bit but if you allow BS stims to be used in the new playfield but do not give VPs in the new playfield eventually you will have both running fairly regularly.

Now until the hardcore PvPers manage to burn through their massive excess amounts of VPs you will probably only see the new playfield running but once things reach a balance where VPs are needed for stims then you will see an increase in activity on BS.

Now this still doesn't really do much to address the issue of BS at lower TLs but that was an issue before anyway and this will just give those interested in PvP at lower TLs an additional opportunity to achieve this.
    Malcom Ciafardoni
    Circle-G Inc. - The Past. The Present. Your Future.

I'm not a gimp, I'm a trade skill Trader.

I think that development team really has no clue what people do because they want to and what they do because they have to.

I go to TL7 BS only to do my daily. I don't like it. I hope for 4 capping so round ends sooner. If I'm bored I may run around healing people and ubting pets. When omni spawn camps I often alt-tab between game and web page just to keep myself from going afk and let them farm my toon. I just want my daaily mission.

I can't say if BS is boring or not.

I suppose this might go into a new topic in Game Suggestions but I think it ties in with what Kintaii was asking about regarding linking the new PvP playfield and battlestation. Would linking, or not, harm one or the other?

I will forgo the easy and obvious comments about harming something that is already dead (BS) and instead try to suggest a way to make it "not-dead".

The core problem for me is that BS never runs. In one sense, this doesn't matter as PvP is, far and away, the least important part of the game to me.

But, I think I'd like to get some OFAB gear. For that, I need VP. To get VP, I need to join BS. Here we are back again at the core problem.

My suggestion: give people a reason (a reward) for signing up for BS.

It might work something like this. I sign up for BS and a kind of "trickle-charge" of VP begins. An hour later and I'm still sitting in the queue but 100VP have accumulated and are transferred to my account. A second hour and another 100VP and so on. If, after several hours, I give up and log off, the waiting hasn't been absolutely for nothing.

If, at some point, I get an invitation to join BS and decline it, I lose the VP that have accumulated and get kicked from the queue.

I use 100VP simply as a nice round number to illustrate my idea, not because I think it's the right amount.

At most Title Levels, BS is currently dead. But it's Rubi-ka and that means death doesn't have to be permanent. On the other hand, it's possible that Funcom thinks there's nothing really wrong with BS and it's only, perhaps, the low game population that is to blame.

Forget "Field of Dreams", building it doesn't always mean they will come. From time to time, and I think this is one of those times, you need to sweeten the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    (no more bacon wrap).
    I really liked this "Bacon Wrap", reminds me of my breakfasts, priceless.

PS. Remember to fix Bacon Wrap in 3 craters
    Last edited by Ocene; Aug 14th, 2010 at 05:15:01.

Dead or dying BS still a problem ?
    Want a simple solution ?

REMOTE SIGN-UP

Can't really get much easier than that. People are lazy. If they can just hit a /LFT style button for BS signup, you watch the numbers rise.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii
    Racheloblade dropped in to check out the office and look at some of the new stuff we're working on; even got to show him the new engine
    So we have to organise some kinda coffee tours to Norway to get a view on the engine ?

Anyways, nice report, keep it up ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Gatess View Post
    Finally someone got it.

And to those that say it works, I have one word for you : Collector.

I was on first team to "beat it" on Test Live.. Hey! DAMN me for not trying using /stuck or doing it 20 times in a row to check the loot table...
    Exactly, you were on probably the ONLY team to try it there....

thank you for taking the time to bother to try to make sure it was working. If you sent in Bug reports around that experience, even better.

Fact of it all is that no one else bothered.

It was there, on testlive (albeit incomplete) for people to evaluate. very few did so.

as was mentioned, over the years, we have had a few diligent BH's and gm's who would post patch notes for us so we had some idea what we were supposed to be looking into at any given time. it never lasted and truthfully, with a major patch there might be a revision patch every day, the patch notes need to come from each of the devs and be compiled by someone who then has to post it somewhere. It just doesn't happen most of the time.

unrelated:
    oh by the way, no one is making you pay to test, you can roll a froob.
    Last edited by nubbs; Aug 14th, 2010 at 07:52:47. Reason: added unrelated at bottom
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

Scrap BS totally and replace it with the PF. Also bring back the old title system. Also merge the servers ffs, I mean seriously, think longer term than the next pay cycle.

On the subject of test server. Why not clear the german server and turn it into a test server? Anyone could just create new toons from startup screen. Not being able to transfer toons may be an advantage.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Quote Originally Posted by nubbs View Post
    unrelated:
    oh by the way, no one is making you pay to test, you can roll a froob.
    While this is true they're still adding a lot of paid content in need of testing as well as even things Froobs can do (ie dailies) need testing by a paid person too to make sure it isn't to easy for them. Thus, in many cases, it is required to have a paid account to test.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

why not have bs give an item after round is over (unique) that when right clicked gives a buff that lasts for an hour. make it scale for level too. the example below would be for 210-220.

(example)

Badge of honour
    (right clicking this badge will give a one hour enhancement to your abilities)

all damage types +100
    aao 50
    aad 50
    heal delta 25
    nano delta 25
    runspeed 100
    Swimming 100 (lol)
    Strength +5
    Stamina +5
    Sense +5
    Agility +5
    Intelligence +5
    Psychic +5
    complit +25
    treatment +25
    melee init +25
    ranged init +25
    nano init +25
    phys init +25
    -2% nano cost modifier
    -5% skill lock modifier
    perception +50
    conceal +50

personally i think pvp area and bs should be separate. but, if you wanna keep bs running (and maybe make it run even more) add a real incentive/gasoline like what i've suggested above, and remove vp from pvp entirely. add vp reward to alien missions, equal to what you would get in a battlestation round for your level (if you get a token, you also get a vp token that gives vp. if you get no token for not completely whole mission, no vp reward for you either).

adding stuff like this (maybe suggested buff is OP'd) is common sense, and I know i would join battlestations everyday, many times a day just for a good buff, regardless if for vp or to get a buff for pvp playfield that i could stack with 12 man buff.

my 2 cents/creds
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Quote Originally Posted by Siyra View Post
    ...snip...
    Definitely not... With stuff like that in place and some more coordinated efforts towards testing I might go there to help as well, but I won't as it "works" now.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast