Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: schedule ???

Giving a big picture never killed nobody. Making you think what happened this week is it, never ran very far.
    Last edited by Ocene; Aug 20th, 2010 at 16:42:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Giving a big picture never killed nobody. Making you think what happened this week is it, never ran very far.
    *takes deep breath* I agree.

Even a rough, undated, overview of what order things are being done in, like which documents are due next etc, would be helpful.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Omutb View Post
    *takes deep breath* I agree.

Even a rough, undated, overview of what order things are being done in, like which documents are due next etc, would be helpful.
    Maybe it's not possible to implement for games or upcoming changes but, some people apply percentages for the amount of completed for each patch, change, content in the game, maybe some people want to see just how much closer FC got with their projects for example Engine xx% Rebalancing patch xx%

I guess it's our nature as players that we are 1) impatient 2) crave for new content --- changes --- mechanics. This especially applies to us 220/30/70's who are main toon-centric (as in they got alts but they are almost always known for using a specific character).
    Unlimited "Millerna" Rifleworks (220 / 30 / 70) Agent

How hard is it to say:

"It's September.

We're planning to iron out all the profession re-balance spreadsheets by Xmas. With a little break for Halloween. Lya's sangi patches are too good to miss out.

From there we will start focusing on the new Noobie Island while some additional engine work is still taking place. You will love this new Noobie Island.. it looks like Borealis.. but better.

We will issue a BETA of the re-balance in a single patch in February. With a follow up patch on March. Noobie island will go in BETA in APRIL, and we hope you all will give us feedback on it.
    The engine is finally shipping in September. I know it's one more year to wait.. but you will love the results. We worked on the too-asian side of things too ...."

Not hard you see?

How hard is it to say:

"It's September.

We're planning to iron out all the profession re-balance spreadsheets by Xmas. With a little break for Halloween. Lya's sangi patches are too good to miss out.

From there we will start focusing on the new Noobie Island while some additional engine work is still taking place. You will love this new Noobie Island.. it looks like Borealis.. but better.

We will issue a BETA of the re-balance in a single patch in February. With a follow up patch on March. Noobie island will go in BETA in APRIL, and we hope you all will give us feedback on it.
    The engine is finally shipping in September. I know it's one more year to wait.. but you will love the results. We worked on the too-asian side of things too ...."

Not hard you see?
    First!

(Best FWM ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

-Great idea-
    I agree with OP and Ocene.. having a timeline where the upcomming things are listed such as rebalancing, new engine, new noob starting area, quest updates and whatsoever (even if there will be changes and no exact date can be estimated) would be a really great thing, since as of now, we dont really know where we stand. It would also be a good idea that FC keeps a track of what they plan and well if it couldn't have been done in time, to readress it in the next FWM and say "We havent been able to do X because of XYZ". Example... if i remember correctly, Means stated that he would like to show us a new vid of the engine.. and if that guy's sig is right.. its been like over 28 weeks since then.. at least saying that they couldn't have done it for these and those reasons would be good.. instead of just ignoring it and doing as if they hadn't said it.

wtb FwO (Friday with Ocene)

Edit...

Second!

Actually, with the exception on one statement from Kintaii saying not to ask about the engine, FWM has been completely devoid of any mention of it whatsoever since July 9th (unless you count tacking pictures of heads on the end of a post as mention of the new engine). So that's seven straight weekly updates without a single mention of the progress on the engine. That leads me to one of three conclusions:

1) Means is tired of the bitching and has decided not to say anything until they have something concrete to show.
    2) Work has stopped on the new engine while all developers are gathered together to finish off rebalancing documentations, new daily missions, and the APF playfield.
    3) Work has just stopped on the new engine and they haven't figure out how to tell us yet....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

How hard is it to say:

"It's September. We're planning... [snip for lots of timeline stuff]

I know it's one more year to wait.. but you will love the results. We worked on the too-asian side of things too ...."

Not hard you see?
    Not hard to say at all...

...if you don't have to keep to it at all, if you don't have to deal with the effects on customer satisfaction when the order, timeline etc need to be changed many times along the way, if you don't also have to deal with 3rd party sites and magazines making life hard for you too, if you don't also have to deal with the expectations of sites/shops that sell the game etc etc etc...

...especially when you know that due to the size of change and the small team you've got, it's highly likely that things will change considerably over time - just as external forces caused huge changes to the GFX timelines which ended up with the base engine being used being changed, the timelines being changed, the interactions with other planned changes causing issues etc etc etc....

Damned if you don't - but even more damned if you do.

X

Quote Originally Posted by XtremTech View Post
    Not hard to say at all...

...if you don't have to keep to it at all, if you don't have to deal with the effects on customer satisfaction when the order, timeline etc need to be changed many times along the way, if you don't also have to deal with 3rd party sites and magazines making life hard for you too, if you don't also have to deal with the expectations of sites/shops that sell the game etc etc etc...

...especially when you know that due to the size of change and the small team you've got, it's highly likely that things will change considerably over time - just as external forces caused huge changes to the GFX timelines which ended up with the base engine being used being changed, the timelines being changed, the interactions with other planned changes causing issues etc etc etc....

Damned if you don't - but even more damned if you do.

X
    I didn't mean to be arrogant...it's just my 15 years of Software Engineering coming out... and I'm the biggest fan of these guys running our game from a theater. Behind our backs.
    I'm actually confident they will make the Xmas deadline I wrote.

April for the new Noobie Island sounded good to me too.

Let's see by then if I had a feel for this team..and if we all trusted them.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyk View Post
    Example... if i remember correctly, Means stated that he would like to show us a new vid of the engine.. and if that guy's sig is right.. its been like over 28 weeks since then..
    27 going on 28 to be exact, but who's counting!

Oh that's right, I am!
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

I didn't mean to be arrogant...it's just my 15 years of Software Engineering coming out...
    I honestly didn't read it as arrogant either. My response is probably just my 15+ years of project management coming out... .

X

Here are just a few of the timeframe related comments that were made in-game on Apr 2nd, 2010:

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Posting some snippets from the Friday in-game talk with Means on RK2. I went through the chat and posted the questions with answers..so some of the timestamps are out of order. It was a nice chat and pretty awesome of Means to make himself available like that to the community in my opinion. Enjoy!

(14:04) Dagget: what the current estimate of the time, starting next week, that it will take Bejing to do the heads?
    (14:04) Means: Dagget: HOPEFULLY before new engine is done :P

(14:04) Cromage: Also, will the textures of char body be enhanced?
    (14:05) Means: Cromage: yes..just like the heads

(14:05) Dagget: the impression I got from the December letter was that it woudl take 2 months, starting in january but then TSW and/or RoTG bumped the head project down the list
    (14:05) Means: Dagget: 2 months sounds about right

(14:14) Cromage: Teh ultimate question: Can we expect the new engine this year?
    (14:14) Means: Cromage: Yes
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12