Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So really what is wrong with people

So really what is wrong with people

Look I know and understand a lot of people in this game don't like RP.
    Me I personally PvP and most of the pvpers, but ya don't see me going out of my way to grief and ruin peoples time.

So I have to ask what the hell is wrong with people. Ya don't like rp, okay that's find nobody is asking you to get involed rp do anything, but why grief the players and arks that want too.
    Really are you that sad in your life you need to belittle others to feel better about yourself? Someone talking in the street really isn't effecting much. So why all the hate.

Please don't give the "dude it's just a game chill out" answer. If you were playing a game of baseball and someone ran onto the field, grabbed the ball and started running around, odds are most would beat him with a bat.

I mean I'm really puzzled by this. If you don't like something move along. No instead people have to act like jerks (note using nice language for the forums). And really what point are you proving.
    I know I"m going to either get flamed or ignored no this but come on.

Seeing as how RP is a facet of the game just like PVP, and griefers are interfering with the spirit of the game. Maybe some of those players that have to, spam chat, hug on the ARKs stand on top of them. Do everything in their power to ruin the event, should be banned for 24 hours.
    Ya know maybe I'll put that in game suggestions. As it would seem some people in this game like to make sure they ruin things for others.
    I don't PvP becasue my rlpeen is big enough so I don't need to make up for it with my epeen.

"Ahhhhh that was a good dinner. Now it's time to hit the playground and watch the little girls."

Quote Originally Posted by FoosballX View Post
    If you were playing a game of baseball and someone ran onto the field, grabbed the ball and started running around, odds are most would beat him with a bat.
    Yup, and the lack of an effective in-game baseball bat is why people continue to act the way they do.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Eh, just petition them and politely either warn them before you do it or say you have.
    Clan
    Elder - Leader of the Wasteland Nomads.
    Scavenger - Tech-dealer in the Wasteland Nomads.

Omni
    Doctor Beynon Benedict - Head of Medical Personnel in the Department of Investigations.

Neutral
    Paul Sate (Pulsate) - Stylish, intelligent and egotistical criminal mastermind. Member of Black-Net.

Tough to respect RP'ing or RP'ers - even though it's always been in this game. Originally the game was designed to have a story arc with evolving, staged RP'ing events... until a PO'd crowd visited one event and said, basically, 'quit messing with our world'.

Playing the game is actually RP'ing, basically, though I can understand both the desire to take it one step further and the desire to ridicule those who do. Basically, unless you do it in confined circumstances you're inlvolving the people around you. They may not want to play along. The only situations I've heard of where it doesn't sometimes pull social agg is when the entire server is dedicated to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

I just unfriended you on Facebook for making this post.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Ugh.... I meant to post this on Life on Rimor, but wasn't thinking and just out of habit I went to Buzz instead.
    However I see it got warped to The 4th Wall, which I'm not sure how effective it will be here, considering most that read and post here don't grief events. And it was really more a question to the rimor community since the event happened on Rimor.
    oh well
    /pulp

Oh damn Pants, and here I was getting ready to send you invites to help me on my farm and in my mafia.
    I don't PvP becasue my rlpeen is big enough so I don't need to make up for it with my epeen.

"Ahhhhh that was a good dinner. Now it's time to hit the playground and watch the little girls."

Quote Originally Posted by FoosballX View Post
    Oh damn Pants, and here I was getting ready to send you invites to help me on my farm and in my mafia.
    YoVille, Yo.
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by If6Was9 View Post
    Tough to respect RP'ing or RP'ers - even though it's always been in this game. Originally the game was designed to have a story arc with evolving, staged RP'ing events... until a PO'd crowd visited one event and said, basically, 'quit messing with our world'.

Playing the game is actually RP'ing, basically, though I can understand both the desire to take it one step further and the desire to ridicule those who do. Basically, unless you do it in confined circumstances you're inlvolving the people around you. They may not want to play along. The only situations I've heard of where it doesn't sometimes pull social agg is when the entire server is dedicated to it.
    So you're saying, that it perfectly acceptable for someone to be a jerk if they don't like something.
    I mean you realize that if you're going out of your way to annoy someone, or ruin something it's harassment. The desire to ridicule others and trying to spoil thing for them usually comes from an inferiority complex of some kind. It's a way to prove how much better then are by acting like a jerk and putting people down.
    The reality is people do this cause there is no consequence what's so ever. Granted people will always break rules and push the limits; however when there's nothing you'll get more people willing to act like jerks.
    I don't expect people to respect or like RP if they don't; however, asking people to show some kind of decency and just move a long isn't much to ask. Not to stand around trying to ruin things.

Professional trolls like If6Was9 don't help.
    But aren't entirely at the root of the problem.
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

When did this happen? AO players liking each other enough to form mobs?
    A.W. Morgan, Esquire
    Rimor
    West Athens
    Apartment Complex 4/Door 4

I guess they are role playing terrorists or anarchists.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    your an idiot

Tough to respect RP'ing or RP'ers - even though it's always been in this game.
    Wrong sandbox, dude.

We have several ways to deal with griefers and this time around we tried to do it without bloodshed (yeah, I know, a radical new idea for us) by simply teleporting them out of vicinity range and asking them to stop in tells in the vain hope that they get the message.
    Sadly, not all of them got the message. Next time we will definitely use the more drastic measures we have available and not hold back, this will include getting our Operations Department to talk to the griefers in private.

Still, despite the few griefers I do think that this public appearance by the controversial Administrator Lonare went rather well.
    Coordinator Maleachi,
    Events Team (Advisors of Rubi-Ka)

Maybe I'll have better luck asking in this thread

What actually was this event? Was it a speech?

I really think that "more drastic measures" is a backwards way to deal with the problem. If the event was a speech, it was basically just the wrong event in the wrong place.

For most of those people, what's "wrong" with them is that they just want to be involved. But when they can't get involved because the event requires that people sit and watch text spam that they don't understand. The most fun way they see to get involved is following the people who actually seem to be having fun - the humpers.

I've talked to soo many griefers who were just trying to take part, and once they understood how they can do that without pissing people off too much, they did and they had fun. You can't do that with a speech in Borealis, where everyone is passing through. In the simplest sense: you spammed them first.

IMHO...

Spamming people with text they don't care about/understand and expecting them to behave and keep quiet under threat of "getting our Operations Department to talk to the griefers in private" is not the way to get people involved.

Doing spectator events away from the main crowds and taking events to Borealis where people can actually take part is the way to get people involved.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

The event itself was not a speech and personally I dislike speech type events myself, mostly due to the reasons you stated.

Administrator Lonare made one of her public appearances as the "face" of Omni-Tek in Borealis, ready to answer any and all questions fielded by the populace and to hear all the complaints. The goal of course was to show that Omni-Tek is not an oppressor, but a benevolent helper that wants to improve the situation in Borealis. Interaction was what we wanted and got from most of the attending players.

The thing that still baffles me after all the times I have seen such behavior is that people could have easily avoided the event (no shouts, only vicinity and just 2-3 short playfield broadcasts) and instead chose to actively go out of their way to try to disturb it via non-RP means. To me it's just common sense to walk away if I do not like something and not try to actively disrupt it.

The "more drastic" measures will be kept appropriate. My take on some possible ways to deal with them is to teleport them away if they grief (ie: remove them from the premises), maybe to a corner of the PF or into a lake to calm them down instead of just moving them out of vicinity range.
    Coordinator Maleachi,
    Events Team (Advisors of Rubi-Ka)

Ahh. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I suppose the majority of Bore are not anything like as in-awe of LTCs as some of the RP community and just don't have anything like the respect for them that a lot of the RP community would expect. I bet even Means gets humped when he goes out to answer questions.

Equally, I do believe that quite a few people who do that are trying to be involved but not understanding what's acceptable. For an established RPer, it'd be considered acceptable to heckle an event like that and shout some mild abuse. Humping etc. is only a few stages removed from that kind of mild disruption. Unfortunately it's contageous.
    Last edited by Redesine; Aug 27th, 2010 at 13:46:18.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

I dont think it has anything with not understanding, I think is has more to do with being a complete and utter idiot.
    If I go to a meeting and dont understand what the speaker is saying, i dont go over to the speaker and start humping him.
    It's simply a matter of commen sence
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Redesine View Post
    Maybe I'll have better luck asking in this thread

What actually was this event? Was it a speech?

I really think that "more drastic measures" is a backwards way to deal with the problem. If the event was a speech, it was basically just the wrong event in the wrong place.

For most of those people, what's "wrong" with them is that they just want to be involved. But when they can't get involved because the event requires that people sit and watch text spam that they don't understand. The most fun way they see to get involved is following the people who actually seem to be having fun - the humpers.

I've talked to soo many griefers who were just trying to take part, and once they understood how they can do that without pissing people off too much, they did and they had fun. You can't do that with a speech in Borealis, where everyone is passing through. In the simplest sense: you spammed them first.

IMHO...

Spamming people with text they don't care about/understand and expecting them to behave and keep quiet under threat of "getting our Operations Department to talk to the griefers in private" is not the way to get people involved.

Doing spectator events away from the main crowds and taking events to Borealis where people can actually take part is the way to get people involved.
    I'm really not sure if I should be offended by this or not.
    First off I'm not new in anyway to rp. Some of the "vets" here really only have a few months on me in game time. And seeing as how most who have posted here have been to many events, yes may get upset by griefers and the same understand and expect it's going to happen.
    This was not a case of someone wanting to be involved and not knowing how, or just someone being silly. This was more a case of a few people really going out of there way to be annoying.
    Standing on top of someone so they're covered, and when teleported off just come back and stand right back on top of them is usually a sign they're trying to be a pain.
    Also people spamming vicinity with a large number of <br> to clear the chat screens is also a sign that someone it trying to be a pest.

Saying that it's okay for people to be annoying and harass others is just sad. And really speech event or whatever, if it needs to take place in an area to make sense, then that's where it should be. I don't think asking people to have a decency to I don't know walk away cause they don't want to be bothered, isn't too much to ask. But saying "well you have to expect this so we need to do things other places" is really kind of a sad and weak attitude just in general.
    If someone is going out of there way, and it's clear they're going out of there way to ruin an event. Then it's harassment and it should be dealt with as such. Maybe if there was actual punishment of some kind people wouldn't do it so much.

And I also like the teleport into the middle of a lake. Or rooted in a corner of the pf somewhere for a few hours.

I knew my opinion would be controversial, but really no offence is meant in any way, Foos.

I wasn't there so I don't know the details - that's why I was asking. No-one answered in the other thread so I came here. My opinion is that getting angry and trying to find new punishments or exclusion for people who don't behave the way you want them to is not the best way to deal with the issue.

In my experience, the best way by far is to involve them somehow. There's been quite a few very busy events that I've seen in Bor with little to no griefing because everyone could take part. So before getting angry and devising ways to exclude anyone who doesn't act the right way, maybe consider if there's an issue with the event or intended audience.

Unfortunately no event ever "needs to take place". That they do is great, but an ARK event shouldn't serve itself or even the hardcore RP crowd. If some of the suggestions in these threads were implemented, then you'd have events where 2-3 people max are taking part and anyone else who happens to be in the area gets silenced in the chatserver or is banned for the duration of the event.

So I'm sorry, RP crowd. My views on the issue are obviously not held in high regard. But someone had to say: sorry guys, some people just don't like the style of RP that you do. Either you can hide events away from everyone, you can exclude and punish everyone else but those two things amount to the same thing. Why not try to find some middle ground? Try to include everyone and don't get so upset when someone acts like a prat.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Not liking something does not give you a valid reason to then harass people participating in it.

If you don't like it, just ignore it. Goes for anything in the game, you may not like that someone is killing mobs you wanted to kill, doesn't give you the right to log a higher character and kill them all until the player quits, and if someone did that to you, you'd want to complain and you'd be entitled to.

What were talking about here is not people that didn't like RP not wanting to join in, but people who are ACTIVELY trying to disrupt other peoples gameplay, it may not be killing mobs, hurling direct abuse or anything like that, but its still harassment and nothing can condone that.

As for not doing RP in certain zones... well that's ridiculous, why should one group of people dictate where other people can play? Specially when it comes down to it the cities are more set up for RP then they are for PvP or such.

Just because "some people wont like it" doesn't mean people aren't allowed to run their events there specially as those that don't like it should be able to just ignore it as it tends not to force involvement. Saying that griefers should be expected if doing so is just saying that "yes these group of people are people that will harass you for trying to play the game" as such those people need to be taught that its unacceptable behaviour rather then just accepted as "thats what happens"

No other form of harassment is condoned so why should this be?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast