Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - August 27th, 2010: (re)Balancing Act

ibta not bad for a quick read
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    I also wanna take a few minutes to thank Chrisax and crew of the Testlive Squad, who've recently been putting in work on creating a 'floating object/visual error/worldbuilding bug' tool for the team, which has been a *massive* boon for us. His site tracks bug reports created around floating objects and other worldbuilding errors/issues in-game and gives us an easy way to look at visual issues in-game and fix them when we have the opportunity to do so (if we've gotta re-export Milky Way anyway, might as well take care of the floating trees in there while we're at it, after all).
    Any chance something like this could be used to locate the mission entrances that have been bugged ever since AI release?

excellent. more false hope coverd in lies muhahaha...

Quote Originally Posted by Xeenah View Post
    Link to Chrisax's website pwetty plix?
    FYI, It's a password-locked dB.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Azama View Post
    excellent. more false hope coverd in lies muhahaha...
    Yeah, no, sorry, all of the above is the straight dope. You assume I have the *energy* to lie - I'm too lazy for that. ;P The truth is way easier.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Funcom employee

Many cookies to Darkbane for starting up this initiative tracking down and eliminating geometry issues and those darn floating trees!

Linde
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

Been a long time since we heard anything about the engine...
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    Any chance something like this could be used to locate the mission entrances that have been bugged ever since AI release?
    Talk to Chrisax. The dB was originally created for floating objects but can handle other locational glitches.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Not *that* long today - Under 1200 words, even! (yes, i count this as an accomplishment)
    Still a wall of text! <3

But a very nice one.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Sweet changes!

First time im first to be first. WEEEEEEE.

How bout starter up experience and stuff? Word, no word?
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Many cookies to Darkbane for starting up this initiative tracking down and eliminating geometry issues and those darn floating trees!

Linde
    QQ, yup pesky trees dont ya think?
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

But about them Enforcers - Not quite as much positive feedback on that end.
    Could you have expected any different, considering you're making an effort to make them less dominating in PvP? I don't see how the rather obvious negative reactions could possibly make you rethink your decisions.

could someone less blind than me say what has chaged in the enfo nano ?
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

so, since last week i got completely ignored, ill just ask again:

any chance for a confirmation if 50% NR check on Program Override was intended or just a Typo in previous weeks fixers file?
    Last edited by Insane666; Aug 27th, 2010 at 16:48:42.
    The most obvious MB on Rubi-Ka
    Insane666 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Soldier Insanity669 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage Doc Insanity699 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage MP
    Insanity696 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Bureaucrat Insane669 ( 220/30/70 ) Solitus Fixer Insanity666 ( 220/30/70 ) NanoMage NT

Insane699 ( 164/22 ) Solitus Trader Insane969 ( 150/20 ) S10 Trox Smurf

Omni-Tek
    Hells Hero for a decade, now a Punk
    spreading insanity all over rk, since 2005

So last week saw us toss out the Fixer and Enforcer nano change documents. On the up side, most everyone seemed to like the Fixer changes. =D But about them Enforcers - Not quite as much positive feedback on that end. So today we're tossing out what is pretty much version 5 of the document with a bunch of additional tweaks and changes based around what you guys have had to say. I should note that this version of the document still doesn't include The Plan™ we have regarding Enforcers and being able to catch up with their target; still waiting on confirmation of code support before we start talking about this one to a wider audience. That said, if we *aren't* able to do what we want code-wise then we'll definitely be looking into alternative solutions to the issue using more normalized parts of the AO abilities. Hopefully this will work, though, as I think it's something that quite a lot of you would really enjoy seeing as an addition to your toolsets. =) MA's got Zazen, Keepers have received Clarion Call - We wanna be able to give Enforcers something unique as well.
    What it sounds like to me is you are all still sitting before the starting line for implementation, Enforcer still hinging on a piece of code? But if that doesn't work as you said we'll get a band aid maybe another pistol.. but this one can have +2k RS! Hm wait too much ranged advy lub, make it 2hb! When I near normalized all I can think is generic, bland, gray. Enforcers were unique, unless I'm mistaken about mongo and rage nanos and others have similar tools, but right those are OP... but in what scenario are they OP, they were added to keep up with changes in PVM encounters and yes a setup 220 enf today is nothing like it was 3 years ago but neither are the endgame raids, getting away from three or more team raids to one team (instanced apf/pande, collector, vort/mitaar/12m).

I also think it's important here to state, again, that this *is* an iterative process, and we will continue making changes/alterations where need be both during the process of designing the rebalancing and past the point where the changes hit the Live dimensions. This isn't something where we're just tossing stuff out and saying "Here you go, enjoy it or not, we don't care" - Quite the opposite. We do take feedback seriously, and even though I won't claim that we'll always agree on all of the feedback we receive our goal is to make AO a more entertaining, engaging experience at the end of the day. To do that we are making sure we are dedicated to tweaking, adjusting and altering our work until it's *right*, and if this means further adjustments after it's been unleashed into the wild then so be it. Together, with the feedback from you guys and with the work from us, we *will* make this work.
    What we saw with the enforcer docs was quite funny the amount of uproar of changes deemed necessary by your team, and ingame a few enforcers I had spoken with plainly stated were the changes to go through they'd see no reason to continue with the toon, enforcer has been a high def/mobile profession with ok offensive tools. However if I take this right as with things in the real world, it is typically the one who whines and cries the loudest that receives attention. I will be sure to bring my binky and bottle to the soldier discussion ;P

I've also heard a lot of people on the forums raising concerns that we've 'forgotten' about PvM during this process and are focusing solely on the PvP balance of the game; far from it. PvM is actually a larger part of our design effort than most people seem to know. In this process of balancing and normalizing profession toolsets/stats/abilities one of our primary goals is to make the PvM aspect of our game more engaging for players of all levels while making the individual professions of AO feel as though they can actively contribute to a team-based environment, something that a lot of our current classes lack in many ways. That said, our goal isn't to destroy the soloing aspect of the game either, not in the slightest; as bitnykk put it over in the Balance Discussion forum, our goal isn't to provide "less solo action" but "more team action". We don't want to destroy that aspect of our game, simply enhance it, and with the changes that Genele and crew have been working on I think we're working very solidly towards that goal.
    Well this part is quite simple really, when you say you are "normalizing" tool-sets/stats/abilities and with the changes shown in the docs so far, it would stand to reason that currently a Enforcer who can complete encounter X or dyna X, after having their tool-set "normalized" will be at a disadvantage compared to today's Enforcer, so does that not mean you will infact be making our toons weaker compared to how they currently perform?

In further rebalancing news we still don't have the nemesis nano changes quite ready for public viewing yet, but they should be going up for the Professionals early next week - Work there has been slowed down a bit by both the changes we've been working on to the Enforcer document but also the work happening for the next profession in the pipeline: Bureaucrats. Genele's already started in on their nano document and we should have that out for the Professionals late next week as well (barring any disasters) with a public release shortly there-after. Again, when reading through these, please remember that we *are* open to changes and will listen to feedback given - We won't always *agree* with said feedback, but I hope that the changes to the Enforcer document show you guys just how vital gathering feedback is during this process. =)
    I do have one very serious question regarding the person(s) doing this work, does Genele actively play, raid, pvp, duel, or take part in normal day to day life as a player might? (Only example I could use as only name you put out there). From the sounds of it next week might be very shocking to crats.

Otherwise on the team Lindelu has been hard at work on the new Alien Daily Missions and is getting close to time for testing with them. To start there will be six individual missions, scaled across all level ranges, and a couple of team missions tied into the new Sector 7 playfield. As Genele has been keeping herself busy with the rebalancing work I myself will be giving her a hand with creating a few of the bosses in the new playfield, and I've got a few interesting ideas up my sleeves already. The Sector itself looks really great and is very different in terms of theme from the rest of the alien sectors already in-game; I think you guys will like what we've managed to come up with thus far once it gets out to the live dimensions.
    Awesome new stuff to do is always very welcome, I'm not sure if has been asked or stated yet, will Sector 7 a open play field like sector 10 or will it be instanced as 13/28/35 currently are? I know more than few making toons for this sector and can't wait to try it myself.. although I'm not sure I will be when it opens, it would be nice to know where in the "re-balance" this falls since starting a toon now might be useless by the time it's "normalized" tool set is shown.

Work on the open PvP playfield is more-or-less finalized at this point, with the official final name of the area being "SBC-Xpm Site Alpha-Romeo" (long name, but it's there for a reason i promise). What remains right now is working on separating the playfield for the individual level ranges in-game and otherwise shipping it out for the Live dimensions. There's still a couple more interesting things happening here which I'll leave Means to talk about when he's ready, but it should hopefully make you guys pretty happy overall - Some definite improvements on the horizon. =)
    Any word if there will be a run buff or smaller version of the play field available to lower levels? It is a HUGE play field and without 2k+ run speed it's really not fun. Can't say I've had the chance to really PVP in there since last patch as it's been more or less empty... wanna see my screenshots of engie's warping in lowbies... I've gotten more of those than kills or deaths.

I also wanna take a few minutes to thank Chrisax and crew of the Testlive Squad, who've recently been putting in work on creating a 'floating object/visual error/worldbuilding bug' tool for the team, which has been a *massive* boon for us. His site tracks bug reports created around floating objects and other worldbuilding errors/issues in-game and gives us an easy way to look at visual issues in-game and fix them when we have the opportunity to do so (if we've gotta re-export Milky Way anyway, might as well take care of the floating trees in there while we're at it, after all). So major thanks to Chrisax, Dagget, Phoenix and all the guys who've put effort into the tool - You guys rock. =D
    Sweet gogo Anarchy Online players, you guys are awesome and keep the game going if any of you have rk2 alts /tell gaveup for some lub :P

Gotta say there's some nice things coming up, I wish the re-balance thing woulda been flushed but c'est la vie at least the way things are going it'll be my kids that have to deal with those changes not me :P Would be nice to get more info on the engine since it's one of the only things that will bring people back, btw wow players can stay in wow, ao players should come back to ao :P
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

Just 2 minor notes about the fixer document of last week (didn't have the chance to comment then)

1. The composite debuff nano (nano/abilities) are both -20, while I think the nano should be -20 but the attributes -12, to match the rest of the generic buffing / debuffing nano's.

2. Don't remove/overwrite the armor summon nano. I use it quite a lot and it would really suck to be without it.

Kintaii is a genius in writing very short messages

at least he knows how to write and get attention hehe

"There's still a couple more interesting things happening here which I'll leave Means to talk about when he's ready, but it should hopefully make you guys pretty happy overall - Some definite improvements on the horizon. =)"

Bah cryptic!
    Wtb info asap
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Yeah, no, sorry, all of the above is the straight dope. You assume I have the *energy* to lie - I'm too lazy for that. ;P The truth is way easier.
    in that case: why is there no new video of the new engine yet?

(know u won't answer, but i couldn't resist =))
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast