Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - September 17th, 2010 - No footage for the greater good

Nerf, second page.

Agreed with the above, 175-214 is ridiculous. I propose 175-205, 206-214 and 215-220. Not perfect, but still...

I like 150 being at the top of a BS level range, I've always enjoyed TL4 characters. I hope that range is active.
    Tacharnan - 220/27/70 neut Advy, NEPA [s]
    Argo - 210/23 neut Fixer, NEPA
    Argottus - 183 omni Fixer (froob)
    DrZhivargo - 153/11 neut Doc, NEPA
    Tacharkeep - 150/9 omni Kipper
    Argoleech - 106 omni Tarder (froob)
    Argomp - 73 neut MP (froob), NEPA
    Tachargo - 55/6/14 neut Fixer, NEPA

RK2 | TLFivePlus | Omneut

Seventh!
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Quote Originally Posted by Argotach View Post
    I propose 175-205, 206-214 and 215-220. Not perfect, but still...
    That's not very different than what it already is. I think the new level ranges are a thousand times better than what was originally proposed. Many 175-214 people will either be leveling or for S7, without much reason for people to make twinks at 214. Though a large range, still a lot better than before and I think better than what's available now.

Any plans on merging RK1 and RK2 btw? Would make even the more odd BS ranges probably run on lot more regular basis. Also bump for the new BS level ranges like em, besides that point of maybe lacking numbers to make em all run actively. S10 150 twinks missing from 151-174 will be also very noticeable in numbers there.

But overall, big bump!

bah, when? I just reached 210 and now i gotta work for 215 for the fun bs. oh well.. grind
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

Quote Originally Posted by Animistic View Post
    Any plans on merging RK1 and RK2 btw? Would make even the more odd BS ranges probably run on lot more regular basis. Also bump for the new BS level ranges like em, besides that point of maybe lacking numbers to make em all run actively. S10 150 twinks missing from 151-174 will be also very noticeable in numbers there.

But overall, big bump!
    I think that thats something thats best saved until 3 months after balancing and the new engine... Fairly fail to kill a server now just to have to start up a new one in a year due to over population -.^
    While waiting leaves merging as a possibility if we dont get a influx of players..
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

I was not present at Q&A session in Oslo, but would love to ask about possibility to give players some way to track history of renamed toons. Here are explanations why we need it and some ideas how it can be sorted.

New BS ranges look fine with me, 101-150 should be active cos of sec10 toons, 151-174 cos of active tl5 toons, and 175-214 hopefully cos of new apf. So looks good all in all.
    President of Mayhem (OTC)

Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    I think that thats something thats best saved until 3 months after balancing and the new engine... Fairly fail to kill a server now just to have to start up a new one in a year due to over population -.^
    While waiting leaves merging as a possibility if we dont get a influx of players..
    Yeah good point, but meanwhile im bit scared how much my beloved TL5 BS will run with all the 150 out of the picture.

215-220? Good-bye TL7 BS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    Why would it be goodbye? Just welcome change so less of useless 210s sitting in APTs around, or being tab+Q instagibs.

LOOOOOTS of 220 endgame toons out there up for some pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliveerz View Post
    Well Fu fc, you screwed up again, come with some good suggestions instead of bad ones, the 175-214 is just redicolous, sure ppl say "Ooh a good tl5 twink has a chance vs a tl7 dude" the thing is, if that tl7 dude wanted to spend some time twinking it, it will kill the tl5 everytime, no matter what.
    You cant make everyone happy. If you wanna make it fair and give all toons chance, then BS ranges how they are atm are perfectly fine! But as we all know, there is no chance atm at all for anyone 175-209 to get into active BS, so isnt it better to give people who want VP and dont mind to die at least chance to get in active BS?

What tl5 twinks you talking about here? Ever saw 174+ tl5 twink?
    President of Mayhem (OTC)

One more shot at BS ranges.

My questions are directed at your post. There's three, not too long ones, plus a big aggregating one.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    the *new* suggested level ranges:

10-30
    31-60
    61-100
    101-150
    151-174
    175-214
    215-220

The goal was to broaden the level ranges to offer access to points and participation. The first version had this brought down to 6 level ranges...the new version will have seven with preferred twinking destination levels occupying the top space of most level ranges. Regardless of where these level ranges are put there will be twink characters built to occupy these spaces...removing twinking is not part of our plans as it is such a significant part of AO. While this may not be perfect in the eyes of everyone I do agree with the people I spoke with this weekend that this will be closer than our previous suggestion.
    Once more, about these ranges. There are a few things I would like to challenge.

101-150. I understand this is a tricky range to work with. However, I do believe it will stay quite dead except when S10 toons get to work on their VP. This will be, in my opinion, very rare. The effect is more noticeable in the next range:

151-174. This range actually got no "love", it got a nerf. Right now, on RK2, it is indeed running constantly. However, at many times it's really close to having only 6 participants on one side. Of these 6+ participants, a lot of the time at least 1-2, sometimes more, are S10 toons (I like going on mine as well and don't feel gimp in the company). This change will mean those people won't help make it run. Is there a chance the range's low level would be left at 150?

The other issue for this level range is the top limit. 189 sounds like a more useful top level lock, if people in the same relative power are to be included. I know some tool sets are opened up at 175, but they are not overly dramatic things, compared to HHAB and TL6 locks at 190. Level 175-189 people really have little tools to play with 214s. So, what was the reason for not including people up to 189 in this BS?

On BS's in general, are you willing to consider some sort of static run speed buff (Totw beacon warp blocker style) for each BS instance that would help the lower battle stations out, or must we wait until run speed changes come to pass?

Now, the big question is: Are you still willing to rethink these ranges, considering that these changes would still result in the most popular non-TL7 actually losing entrants and not gaining them?
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Pretty much, it barely runs as it is during my play time, cutting 5 more levels worth of people out of the picture surely isn't going to help.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Well those new BS lvl ranges will get BS a bit more crowded and i hope more interesting cose green guys gonna run around capping like crazy or maybe again we gonna see mech wars on BS, who knows.
    Also ETA on engine is by the end of the year afaik, and will hopefully bring more population to AO so those lower lvl BS's will be more active.
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

Isn't it possible to make BS-Ranges overlapping?
    Or at least, that someone could join the next higher BS.
    At level 207 someone could choose to participate at the 215-220 BS while 175-214 isn't running.

What are the next steps of the engine development ?
    The grass still arrived ?
    Borealis features tweaking well on the engine ?

No, any range the 220's are included in will be active, period.
    I do think that 175-206 and 207-220 would be a better split, though.
    207 twinks exist for PvP outside the BS and won't be changing so they'll get to both pwn some higher ppl who are simply leveling in the BS, while getting pwned by the 220's there.

As for questions:

1) Is the engine development now in lockstep with the AoC engine? A while back Sil indicated that since AO had different requirements it was following an independant development path, but comments from last week suggest that changes applied to the current AoC engine are also immediately migrated over to the AO builds.

2) Since we are apparently going to have a duel client (much like Eve had for a while) will the older client use the same assets as the new client but 'simplify' them to a workable visualization? Or will it have to run with some or all assets duplicated and use a set directed to it? An example being, would the new heads be shown running under the old client?

3) Is the old client getting some tweaks? You mentioned how text was rendered under the old engine as being rendered as a resource hog and that the new client won't have that issue - is that sort of improvement something that can also be applied to the old client?

4) I am sure by this late stage your engine coders can tell you some baseline requirements for the new engine, like, does it require Shader 2, or can it work with Shader 1; stuff like that would be helpful for those who have older equipment and really want to be able to use the new client but need some advance alert as to what sort of graphics card they need (minimally) to handle the new engine. And, yes, I understand the difference between 'running the new engine, period' and 'running it well with lots of features turned on'

5) Is there any sort of timeframe on new, additional Daily missions, including Shadowlands and team missions (not counting the alien missions that will reappear in conjunction with Sector 7). The current Daily Mission structure is nice but desperately needs filling out with more variety of missions.

6) Is it still your intention to have the new 'New User Experience' up, running, and debugged on live before the arrival of the new engine (and correspondant advertising)?

Last edited by Dagget; Sep 17th, 2010 at 16:07:43.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    Pretty much, it barely runs as it is during my play time, cutting 5 more levels worth of people out of the picture surely isn't going to help.
    True, but you will be able to farm your VP's at lower levels. and if you really want to PvP just go in new PvP playfield or flag yourself
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

the new level ranges will kill the bs on rk2.
    (hardly enough ppl atm for 150-174, part the sec10 and the pvp twinks and u got: no bs at all in those ranges).
    guess the only bs range that will run steady will be 175-214 - and that will be like "wtb anti afk script vs oh a grey - splat - oh a grey - splat! aso...)
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    No, any range the 220's are included in will be active, period.
    on rk1 maybe.
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast