Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - September 17th, 2010 - No footage for the greater good

Where is the engine? If said engine is so awesome (as attested to by some who raided FC) then why can we not see a glimpse of said awesomeness?

The battle stations must be too big to let fail in the eyes of FC. You could do things to improve their appeal to other ranges but it has been suggested many times and it ignored in favor of haphazardly implementing a new batch of levels ranges. If BS PVP was so awesome and retaining so many players to this game, the things would be running already wouldn't they?

can we get a video of the engine instead of q&a? idec about anything but the engine. infact if i had to choose engine or rebalance, i would choose engine. but rebalance needs to come first i know, due to new player base, but i just want a peek. we have waited so long and yet, we still have no idea on the list of things to do. please quit worrying about bs. pick something and stick with it. or make a ffa bs for everybody crying with original pvp ranks and proper pvp lvl ranges.

k thanks
    220/30/70 OMNI SOLDIER - Tyler "Tyfow" Fowler SMG/PDKP -First!
    220/22/64 OMNI BUREAUCRAT - Iliek "Vaporeon" Mudkipz

Thumbs up Q and A

Quick answers as I was there at Q and A; please correct me or if I forget somethings.

New Engine - a small chance before Christmas - Defo 1st Quarter 2011 - The reason being is the engine is the streamlined version for AoC and the dev team in AoC are in the polishing stages, but this causes some glitches as AO was not the original intended for this development, however God rays (Crepuscular rays/Jacobs Ladder) are found in AO and not in AoC, also something not generally thought to be possible in DX9, however this IS AO and I saw it so prepared to get blinded.

Graphic textures : over 300 thousand different textures so the graphic guys are going blind updating as many as possible and they look good. Flaptoot I think was going a bit stir crazy working on several hundred grey flat tiles for Borealis .

There is going to be an ongoing process of updating the graphics, so if any of you out there want to really help in future and you are a graphic artist be a Docaholic and start offering your services, after all you may just save Flaptoot's sanity

There were lots of other questions which I will remember later.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned.

just lol at 175-214 BS range... this is rly not balanced - just imagine 214 twink killer vs 175 toon...
    bump for 101-150 BS range - ppl would have a lot more fun there
    215-220 is better idea since there will be less VP leachers
    151-174 will be cool if it can be changed and seriosly 175-214 range is just ridicilous

IMO, just have the 210-220 BS.

Leave all other VP related PVP to the new PVP instance, where people can just come and go, and it'd make things a lot, lot, lot simpler.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    It is not our intention to ruin areas of the game that are enjoyable to the specific people who actually use them...so here are the *new* suggested level ranges:

10-30
    31-60
    61-100
    101-150
    151-174
    175-214
    215-220

The goal was to broaden the level ranges to offer access to points and participation. The first version had this brought down to 6 level ranges...the new version will have seven with preferred twinking destination levels occupying the top space of most level ranges.
    BTW, last two could use some additional tweaking, perhaps...

175-213
    214-220
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

my question from the Q&A

To Kintaii and Means
    Refering to our talk at the later part of the Q&A regarding weapons and how they look.

I for one love the vast amount of different items in AO and specially how many of the weapons look. A few examples are the classic support beam, banjo, dining chair, hellspinner, ban'zohr hammer, etc.

So getting straight to my question / request - I wondered if A) you could sneak in some creative weapon textures in future updates, like the example i pointed out here (http://yfrog.com/102hbopj), or examples others have pointed out in this thread (http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...2&postcount=13.)

Alternatively my question B) if it is possible to implement a weapon rebuilding kit (similar to the one for the perennium weapons), so you would keep the stats of you current weapon - but change the looks to.. say a chainsaw, parkbench, mech leg, etc.

Folofal

Couple of things I just remembered - When challenged on the whole issue of research and caps to level 9/10, it was apparent that this is being looked at, as Means said " If you get a toon to 220/30/70 you don't want to say.... I am never doing that again!!"

The idea is apparently to get more people to experiment with other classes and breeds adding variety and fun to the gameplay experience.

Also, the majority of questions were raised by Mardonge - President of Unlimited High Society on Rimor and also NoKeeper, so could someone please kick them to post their questions /remembered responses here

Also as part of one of Nokeepers questions about the Excaliburs End and the hidden room the Devs talked about lots of hidden Easter eggs in the environment, including a whole encampment deep underground on RK. I happened to mention the City *hit in Omni Entertainment becoming of course City Exit which is a good example of the little visual jokes...

150 twinks will roxx !!!!

Questions:

Procs:
    Is there any plans on reworking how procs work? For some professions they work fine, but for others not so much. Let me give an example:
    Enforcer, defensive procs - If I do my work good and tank lots of mobs, my defensive procs fire more often than if I tank less. This gives my a reason to improve my tanking skills and my ability to tank more mobs.
    Doctor, defensive procs - If I'm in a good team, I'll never see my defensive procs trigger. The only hope I have to see them, is to actively try and steal aggro from the tank and tank myself. Not really in the spirit of the profession. This gives defensive procs very little value.
    Enforcer, offensive procs - If I hit the mobs faster and more often, my offensive procs fire more often than if I don't. This gives me a reason to improve my AR and my inits.
    Doctor, offensive procs - If I do the traditional doc job and heal, UBT and DoT, I'll never see my offensive procs fire. Only if I work on my AR and weapon inits will I see my offensive procs fire. This encourages me to not to work on doctor related skills, but on weapon skills.
    So basically what I mean is, that for tanks defensive procs are nice, not really for others. For high weapon AR professions and professions who's main purpose is attacking the enemy offensive procs are nice, not so much for healers and CCers.

Profession skills:
    If a soldier or keeper work on his primary skills, i.e. weapon skills and weapon specials, he'll do better at his primary job, to do damage. If a doctor or MP work on his primary skills, i.e. nano skills, he'll be (almost*) just as good at his primary jobs as if he didn't. This leaves almost all professions to focus only on meeting the requirements for their highest nanos and then on weapon skills (speaking PvM here, there are few exceptions in PvP).
    What I basically mean here is, than there's no benefit in working on your nano skills beyond a certain point, your nanos performance is never improved. Where on weapons you almost always see a benefit in increasing your skills, since it will almost certainly up your damage output.

*of course a nano user will land his/her nanos slightly more often, but in most PvM situations even 500 more nano skills won't matter much, since it's most often a matter of innate resistances (in %) and not a NR threshold that needs to be overcome.
    Why play melee when crat pets can do your job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldebeast View Post
    Simple, why the melee hate?
    ...Melee people/pets are needed...

Quote Originally Posted by Klanbear View Post
    Quick answers as I was there at Q and A; please correct me or if I forget somethings.

New Engine - a small chance before Christmas - Defo 1st Quarter 2011 - The reason being is the engine is the streamlined version for AoC and the dev team in AoC are in the polishing stages, but this causes some glitches as AO was not the original intended for this development, however God rays (Crepuscular rays/Jacobs Ladder) are found in AO and not in AoC, also something not generally thought to be possible in DX9, however this IS AO and I saw it so prepared to get blinded.

Graphic textures : over 300 thousand different textures so the graphic guys are going blind updating as many as possible and they look good. Flaptoot I think was going a bit stir crazy working on several hundred grey flat tiles for Borealis .

There is going to be an ongoing process of updating the graphics, so if any of you out there want to really help in future and you are a graphic artist be a Docaholic and start offering your services, after all you may just save Flaptoot's sanity

There were lots of other questions which I will remember later.
    Engine at Xmas? or even 1st quarter 2011. I don't believe it one second. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Engine at Xmas? or even 1st quarter 2011. I don't believe it one second. Sorry.
    Ocene not having faith in FC? I refuse to believe (it one second).
    Last edited by tharss; Sep 20th, 2010 at 03:15:39.
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Klanbear View Post
    New Engine - a small chance before Christmas - Defo 1st Quarter 2011.
    there was a good chance we were going to see a video of new engine in a couple weeks, and that was what like 30 weeks ago? ergo, a small chance before christmas = yay, i won the lottery without even buying a ticket kind of chance.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Quote Originally Posted by Worldofalts View Post
    there was a good chance we were going to see a video of new engine in a couple weeks, and that was what like 30 weeks ago? ergo, a small chance before christmas = yay, i won the lottery without even buying a ticket kind of chance.
    I found ten dollars in the street once. Does that count?
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

As typing-penance for my lack of vigilance in watching hardware (in addition to losing my cameras and personal footage) I will be answering these questions again...please post your questions here and I will complete them for next week.
    The only question that matters is that after 8 years of faithful vigilance, protecting this spot from all who would defile it...why is the tower on the omni ent platform still not named after me?

It is my home more than any rubi-ka or jobe apartment, more than any other spot in rubi-ka or in the shadowlands. It is the first of the impressive structues that made an impression on me as a little noob Mp all those years ago when I took shelter in its shadow. Before I could fly and back when a lowbie owning a yalm was nearly unheard, of I took my respite in its shadow. And now in the days when I could rest comfortably in orbit amongst the stars.....the last view I want to see when I close my eyes and first thing I want to see when I open my eyes is the view from the top of the tower of omni ent.

Please give Davias the tower he deserves as a long term loyal Omni employee!
    Sometimes, you just have to charge in with both hands blazing and hope they drop before you do.

I won't join your org, but I may join your cause...for a price

All must bow before receiving my blessings

10-30
    31-60
    61-100
    101-150
    151-174
    175-214
    215-220[/url]
    why not make it 175-220. it allows people in lvl 175-209 range a good way to actually farm vp. adds cannon fodder for 220's. i see it as a win win situation.

Id bring my lvl 180-190ish chars to it be fast way to get vp to gear them out in ofab.
    Drlongfellow - 220/25 Doc
    Longfellow - 220/23 Enf
    Majorguns - 220/27 Fixer

Actually 175-220 is not a bad idea.

151-174 BS just wont run. There are many pvp oriented toons in that range but most of them are so bored by BS that they dont even sign up and just hang around terminals looking for duels. 150 were and are tl5 BS fuel, once they are gone, BS wont run anymore.

Its very easy to say what BS ranges work nowadays; 150-174 and 210-220. Why? Because there is something to do in pvm! 150 have their lowbie APF so its worth twinking. 220 is endgame. Now lets think about 151-174 BS range. What can i do as a 170 character in terms of pvm? Nothing. Conclusion: good bye tl5 BS.

My suggestion:
    100 (or 101 it doesnt matter)-150,
    151-200 with hhab changed/removed.

Whta IS NEEDED to make things go smoother:
    1. people that log off should be kicked out of queues,
    2. sides should be equal; if there are only 6 people on one side, only 6 of the other join, not 12 as it is today,
    3. remote access to BS terminal. It could be a tool bought with VP or just lft window option,
    4. way to determine if you are still in BS queue without the need to click BS terminal so one could sign up and go away/afk without having to worry that he will miss invite.
    5. BS terminals should be placed in same playfield, so people signing up for one and waiting hopeless in queues could ask for duels or just watch people from different ranges.

annnnnd

6. THE BEST IDEA EVER!!! If there is 100-150 and 151 - 174 BS why not make it 100-150 and 150-174 so 150 guys could join both?
    Last edited by Ciekafsky; Sep 20th, 2010 at 08:03:57.
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

There's a big difference between Ocene and myself, he does not believe what he cannot see, touch and feel, does that makes him an AO atheist?

For all those who do not believe in the 2nd coming of AO, please make a new part of zone in Inferno called Gehenna where they can fall through the geometry into a pit filled with fire for all eternity whilst admiring the pretty fire graphics and god rays - pew, pew

Seriously, myself and nearly 100 others saw with our own two eyes a working version of the engine, not alpha version, beta version but a version that could be released with the exception that it is still under development by another team and therefore needs to be checked against AO codebase which is an "unbelievably" clunky affair.
    The date of release is therefore "set" by that other teams efforts, the team from my limited understanding are making use of the time to update as many of the graphic assets as reasonably possible hence my other comment about the need for a much larger graphic team

I reckon that the 215-220 change isn't a good idea. If any BS should run constantly it should be the endgame one, and it shouldn't have people taken out of it.

I like the idea above of a real low end to the last BS, I know I would bring along any characters I had in the low end for a laugh and to get some VP that isn't otherwise easy to get. Plus, it would just be awesome to have a heap of people running around in there.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast