Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 1st, 2010 - Gratitude

Got disconnected very often from the game, especially bs, this day (problem is not on my side as i was only disconnected from ao and most times only 1 account). View others have same problem since patch.

Thanks for the answer Means.

With that I take you feel that 190 to 200 toons that had access to Pande loot are a problem. I just want to point out that the first beast raids after SL was released involved quite a few 190-200 toons. Access at 190 was by design and not accident. It has been this way for years and not those in the 190 to 200 range are being denied.

The end result is that a good number of toons in the 190 to 200 range do have phats they can wear and now there will be a new generation of players that can't get them. S7 for all the effort to remove one item will in fact be unbalanced for those that got their phats early versus now.

My concern is this creates a hard power divide. Will we see all Pande items get a 201 level lock on them so that this hard divide in power is properly addressed? Or will FC just leave this power divide in place?

I would also think that this would prevent ever having a balanced PVP battle station that capped at 200 as you would have pande equipped versus non pande equip twinks.

I do agree that +500 NR is stupid. But access at 190 to pande is something that changes years of play history. At least consider introducing a protection only ring for pande that is locked to 190+.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Fair enough. What I did wasn't entirely appropriate...making more work for our own moderators is hardly rational behaviour. What is acceptable...and I use the term losely...behaviour from members of the player base is not necessarily "Ok" from me. I'm sorry if turning tables a bit there wasn't "Ok". I'm even sorrier that some people took themselves so seriously that they were unable to see the humor in it. Some of you work pretty much full-time trying to get under my skin. Sometimes you manage. The vast majority of the time I think I handle the collective scorn thrown at me and my team rather well. I didn't explain this (HHAB changes) earlier as other pressing issues kept me busy. Friday with Means is now written on Thursday to give the community team a chance to translate it in a timely manner...this one was finished at 10:30pm last night.
    Don't let the minority Bitchers get to you. Unfortunately the minorities are always louder (and more obnoxious!) I think the majority of the AO community realizes that you and your team are not trying to wreck the playing experience we all enjoy, and in most cases do the opposite. When an exploit or an OP item is changed those who use them will scream.

That being said there is alway room for improvement on the implemented improvements, but history has shown that YOU will make changes that need to be made. Maybe not fast enough for some of us, but changed none the less. (IE moving 150 back to the 174 bs or lowering the 215 down to 205).

All in all Job well done.

**Cue the Flaming and Butt Kissing**

Appreciate the answer, now, with serious hat on:

While not *everyone* will agree that +500 NR on a single BUYABLE item is excessive...I think we can all agree it is significant. We felt that it was too significant in both PvM and PvP at the levels it was currently available at. While we are in the process of changing level ranges for PvP and making a PvM playfield that covered the level range in question we felt we would change it. .
    I recognize this will make life difficult for players who at level 190 feel they need Beast loot. The fact that this is the gear being used seems like another small problem to me rather than something that should be further enabled and encouraged. We have further plans for this item and others that I am not prepared to share at this time. Sector 7 (new upcoming 150-200 Alien single team instance indoors playfield) will more than likely have a more level appropriate ring covering similar stats...and likely without a level lock but rather skill requirements.
    I think it is rather safe to say that mostly everyone agrees 500 NR on any single item, buyable or otherwise, is very very much and probably excessive on any level. Now, the concern here is, with the attractiveness of Notum Repulsor in the pre-205 range already (and some quite useful armor with NR in it), if you introduce a ring with 25% of HHAB's stats, nano based attacks - including perks - will become increasingly more useless in PvP from professions besides NT as the NR numbers rise exceedingly high.

In general it seems that if any single item - such as HHAB - is good enough to be a no-brainer for everyone in a particular slot, something is probably wrong. As I read the above to be more or less "TL5 HHAB inc", it's a bit worrying.

Though you did state there's undisclosed plans concerning those items. I'm probably writing this post in vain, as you're a smart bunch of people. Have a nice weekend.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Thanks for the answer Means.

With that I take you feel that 190 to 200 toons that had access to Pande loot are a problem. I just want to point out that the first beast raids after SL was released involved quite a few 190-200 toons. Access at 190 was by design and not accident. It has been this way for years and not those in the 190 to 200 range are being denied.

The end result is that a good number of toons in the 190 to 200 range do have phats they can wear and now there will be a new generation of players that can't get them. S7 for all the effort to remove one item will in fact be unbalanced for those that got their phats early versus now.

My concern is this creates a hard power divide. Will we see all Pande items get a 201 level lock on them so that this hard divide in power is properly addressed? Or will FC just leave this power divide in place?

I would also think that this would prevent ever having a balanced PVP battle station that capped at 200 as you would have pande equipped versus non pande equip twinks.

I do agree that +500 NR is stupid. But access at 190 to pande is something that changes years of play history. At least consider introducing a protection only ring for pande that is locked to 190+.
    In 2 years how many of those 190 - 200 toons will be

a) Leveled past 200
    b) On inactive Accounts
    c) Deleted

I would guess well over 75%

Just a thot

Well now that FWM is written and discussed, i hope you will have time to respond to my PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    Sadly even the population on RK 1 is shocking nowadays :/

Dont let anyone fool you that it's just people are spread out more, that's simply not true imo.
    But it is, they just spread out so much they ended up in other games. Maybe even on games that are ridiculously easy to play, but playable.

Dont worry though, with all the awsome new content they will be running back in a jiffy. PvM content for the funnies and spawncamping PvP is what we all want.

Sidenote: Replies to rudely phrased questions can be rudely phrased too. NP about that. But an answer to the question was nice.
    Last edited by Lusos101; Oct 1st, 2010 at 20:48:12. Reason: I r sloooooooow yes I r.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

*sigh*

Alright.

First off, thanks Means for getting back to us. Believe me, it's appreciated.

Still, I would wish, at least for those that want their Pande phats for Sector 7, for FunCom to at least let us *us being TL6+) have a Pande ring with absolutely no modifiers. That's all I ask.
    Last edited by Saetos; Oct 1st, 2010 at 20:57:30.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Thank you for the detailed answer on why the HH@B change was made Means.

I might not fully agree with it, but I can respect why it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    Still, I would wish, at least for those that want their Pande phats for Sector 7, for FunCom to at least let us *us being TL6+) have a Pande ring with absolutely no modifiers. That's all I ask.
    I read that, thought of a ring called "Cover your @$$" & pictured someone running around with their hand on said location, ala The Noob Comic's "Arsemode".

I agree that having a 'Pande protection only' TL6+ ring as a consolation would make the most sense .
    Last edited by tazalanche; Oct 1st, 2010 at 21:05:11.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

I have a good idea for all those worried so much about planning equipment for S7... Let it come out first!! Then you can worry about the items you'll need from Pandemonium... if a level 1 can get burden without a damn HH@B, you too can get your twinks anything else you may need from Pandemonium.

1. No point capping under Dance of Fools or Bio Cocoon anymore (Limber still works before anyone else asks).
    Thanks for removing the one last usefulness of a not-pvp-dedicated engi who refuses to be some team's blockerwhore. Seriously. Thank you. :|
    Because Race Yalm

At least they had some time of usefulness as a not-PVP dedicated profession.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Hmm, why not just return it to original state and add:
    OnWear:
    Wearer Modify NanoResist 500
    IF Wearer Level >= 201.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

1. No point capping under Dance of Fools or Bio Cocoon anymore (Limber still works before anyone else asks).
    About time..
    Martialmad - Guru

I'm sure the few that remained in DNW will be happy to transfer in two weeks after amassing huge amounts of tara(etc) loot. Wish I had the opportunity to farm an empty AO server and transfer to a populated one.

I didn't explain this (HHAB changes) earlier as other pressing issues kept me busy. Friday with Means is now written on Thursday to give the community team a chance to translate it in a timely manner...this one was finished at 10:30pm last night.
    It's good to get an actual response but we've been discussing it in the 18.3 forum for a week now, not since just yesterday.

While not *everyone* will agree that +500 NR on a single BUYABLE item is excessive...I think we can all agree it is significant.
    Personally I don't care about the NR bonus that much. It's nice but I'm more interested in the Pand access. A number of us, self included, have said different times that if it's as a result of the NR bonus, reduce or remove it. Give HH@B none, the De'Valos Protection Ring a bit and the signet ones as is or even reduce that too if required. Most would be fine with that I'd imagine.

We did not "add" another level locked item to the game...but we did change the nature of it. I do not like level locks but there was no other way to remove this from players of that range.
    It was increased though, which is almost as bad. I can guarantee you that my lvl 200 can out preform many to most of the lvl 201 or even somewhat higher chars out there, with or without a +500 NR buff item. In AO how much you put into the char can mean a lot, even more than lvls alone, at least to a point.

I recognize this will make life difficult for players who at level 190 feel they need Beast loot. The fact that this is the gear being used seems like another small problem to me rather than something that should be further enabled and encouraged.
    In general Pand items are by no means easy or even not possible to get on at lvl 200 for most. Then like with many of the things in the game some will wait until they can just pop it on with no trouble while others will come up with insane ideas that let them get it on earlier just for what may be a very minor improvement. That's a very big part of the whole skill vs lvl lock requirements thing and one of the things I enjoy most about AO. If you're going to consider making changes so a good item with high wear reqs can not under any means be put on before lvl X then you're not really in favour of skill reqs over lvl reqs.

Also it's not all that rare to see a TL5 with a Burden of Competence or what not (worn in social of course), even without zone protection people can get it. Although it then becomes even more a shift of the haves becoming even more powerful by comparison while the have nots get weaker. Providing people a more even access to things removes that. If I bugged org members to babysit my lower chars I could do it too but I'd rather not.

What I did wasn't entirely appropriate...
    What you did was no different then pretty much everyone else here. There's just some, loud; obvious, people among us who feel it is their job to point out others flaws despite their clear hypocrisy.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
    Don't let the minority Bitchers get to you. Unfortunately the minorities are always louder (and more obnoxious!) I think the majority of the AO community realizes that you and your team are not trying to wreck the playing experience we all enjoy, and in most cases do the opposite. When an exploit or an OP item is changed those who use them will scream.

That being said there is alway room for improvement on the implemented improvements, but history has shown that YOU will make changes that need to be made. Maybe not fast enough for some of us, but changed none the less. (IE moving 150 back to the 174 bs or lowering the 215 down to 205).

All in all Job well done.

**Cue the Flaming and Butt Kissing**
    you made my day...

the majority of ao community would have been happy with 150-200 and 201-220 bs.
    and the majority never cried about hh@b to be overpowered...

but they listened to the emo ppl...(and somehow i got the impression u are one of them, wanting 150-174 back because now u see what u got out of whining =))
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

500 NR is a really big boost considering what items and some buffs give you which is nowhere near that amount and HHAB is probably OP for lower players which I can agree on.
    After reading responses you all make it sound impossible to get loot anymore, you can out heal the Pande DOT (unless it was changed? which I doubt) since I know there has been level 1s in Pande before, you could have a friend out heal the DOT so you can get your item if that's just the big issue here, you better know someone who will do that for you since you shouldn't be winning those in a Raid in the first place at low levels specially Sub 200 unless it's rotting. There is no level lock on Pande so you should be happy with that and you still have a way of getting loot.
    Kamikaze "Kaitoujeanne" - 220/30/70 - Doctor
    .¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.•`
    Ice "Shivaz" Crystal - Meta-Physicist
    .¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.¸.•´☆ ¤º☆`.¸.•

If you really look at Autohead's posting history in FWM, you'll notice that the majority of his posts are troll bait in some fashion :P

He just finally got his answer in a similar way lol

Just because that he didn't mention it in his initial post didn't mean that he didn't plan on not dicussing the subject. It might have been overlooked given the large number of other things he has to look after or he was planning on talking about it next week after seeing the "questions" concerning why it was done. Now that he's answered it, you don't have to wait until next week.

Oh, btw, hi Shadowslave! \0_
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast