Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 15th, 2010 - Aliens OMG

Engie doc or halloween/AXP dailies? Seriously, people act like if engie doc is delayed, there won't be re-balance. Maybe, maybe not, but I can tell you that if Halloween stuffs is delayed, it would be completely stupid to release it a month later.

Big ticket projects = longer timelines with months of slack, compared to smaller projects with days of slack or no slack. That means they can slip with graphics, rebalance, even if it pisses you off, but they can't with halloween. That's my Fanboi excuse. It's a good one too because it's pretty much a global truth to time management in organizations.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    The only 'valid' benchmark for a graphics upgrade for AO would be if UO/Everquest or some other equally ancient MMO would attempt it. There aren't many games out there even as old as AO. Why do people think it's sensible to compare what AO devs can do to some more current games? That's just ignorant.
    Ok, now what?

AO is a current game. It was made prior to most other MMOs, but since it is active, it is a current game. If you don't want to see it compared to other MMOs, I suggest you stay away from any internet browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    Why do you not mind waiting longer then? If you could get your food at a real restaurant in under 15 minutes, because hey; McDonalds is expected to get it done that fast, cooking time isn't an issue, then why are you willing to wait longer without complaint?

Why isn't McDonalds afforded the same patience? Based on some pathetic ideal that because they call themselves fast food and others don't they should deliver the food sooner despite that, supposedly, other restaurants could do the same but don't?

Again: it comes down to personal expectations. If a burger takes 5 minutes to cook and you go to McDonalds you expect your food in 6 minutes. But a burger from a 'real' restaurant still taking 5 minutes to cook you'd wait 30 minutes (if not more) for without complaint because.... that's right, your expectations.
    McDonald's doesn't cook food to order... so if it takes 5min to cook a McD burger I expect to get it nearly immediately after placing my order because I know they have already cooked it before I even walked through the door.

When I go to a restaurant that actually cooks your food after you place your order then I expect that it takes time for the server to take my order, put the order in the computer, cook(s) to actually make it to my order, read it and start cooking it, cook it, build the plate, get server to come get the food from kitchen and deliver it to me. Then I also expect the server to follow up with me to make sure that the food meets my expectations....

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    Ok, now what?

AO is a current game. It was made prior to most other MMOs, but since it is active, it is a current game. If you don't want to see it compared to other MMOs, I suggest you stay away from any internet browser.
    "OK now what" what? I see articles about older games updating their graphics engines. Nothing in those articles invalids what I said. I think it's stupid to label AO 'current' then expect it and it's development to perform like other games. If graphics and keeping timelines are so important to people that it causes them to have a mental breakdown every time someone at FC has to eat or sleep instead of working on AO, go play those other games. It's pretty obvious we don't like AO because of it's stellar looks and it's pretty obvious that even upgrading them isn't going to make them look like a game that's been released even in the last 2 years. AO is current? That's just funny. I guess that means records and 8 tracks are current too? AO is 'old' technology, whether it's still active or not. Compare it all you want to other MMO's. That doesn't mean it makes sense to do so.
    Last edited by Obtena; Oct 19th, 2010 at 02:06:49.

Go find an actual retail store that still sells records and 8-tracks.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

Go ahead. I'll wait.
    Actually - records are available (and for some releases actually kept in stock) at many music retailers. I work at a national bookstore chain location with a smallish music department - we have 1/2 a dozen LPs that are company mandated (modeled) in stock - 1 of which being the latest Black Eyed Peas album. As for eight tracks, in the city of Chicago there are at LEAST 2 record shops I know that specialize in 8tracks and players. Several specialty companies still produce both. You can still buy new (non-DJ ) turntables at most big box electronic stores.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

If graphics and keeping timelines are so important to people that it causes them to have a mental breakdown every time someone at FC has to eat or sleep instead of working on AO, go play those other games.
    As there already are a lot of complains about the lack of players, asking the few left to leave is not a good idea..
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    From my point of view, engine is no needed to me - I like those old graphics.
    But from view of a MMORG player, highly allured by RK, I need new engine, which will get new playerbase, so - besieds of Hecks - I belive I will be able to do RK stuff, meet new ppl, help some if needed, and tbh, I can't wait till it will be live!
    This.
    blah

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    Actually - records are available (and for some releases actually kept in stock) at many music retailers. I work at a national bookstore chain location with a smallish music department - we have 1/2 a dozen LPs that are company mandated (modeled) in stock - 1 of which being the latest Black Eyed Peas album. As for eight tracks, in the city of Chicago there are at LEAST 2 record shops I know that specialize in 8tracks and players. Several specialty companies still produce both. You can still buy new (non-DJ ) turntables at most big box electronic stores.
    Records are understandable, because they're used for DJ work. It was a poor example on Obtena's part.

8-tracks are a novelty for nostalgia at this point in time, and should only be carried by specialty shops. Even then, aren't they all sold second-hand? Since, you know, they aren't made anymore. (Note that when I say not made anymore, I'm not including some middle aged guy in his garage).

Go ahead. I'll wait.
    Find a retail store that sells AO. I can wait too.

I found AO lying around in the sale bin of some electronics shop a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure you can still randomly find it from stores that are too lazy to throw it away.

I also found plenty of Tabula Rasa boxes AFTER it had been cancelled in various shops around here. I just usually went and told them that, and shortly after it was pulled out from those shops.
    GO WITH MANY BLELBINEMS

GUESS WHO (IT STARTS WITH "SWORD" AND ENDS WITH "BREAKER")

LOL

I'm sure the same is true for records and 8 tracks.

Yeah, I was just saying that it's possible to find AO in a retail store, so the analogues aren't probably perfect.
    GO WITH MANY BLELBINEMS

GUESS WHO (IT STARTS WITH "SWORD" AND ENDS WITH "BREAKER")

LOL

No Haloween Patch? Guess its back to carving real pumpkins for me and destroying them with a machette until they release it.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Quote Originally Posted by Worldofalts View Post
    No Haloween Patch? Guess its back to carving real pumpkins for me and destroying them with a machette until they release it.
    It's not Halloween yet, still over a week to go...
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

we wantz it
    we needz it
    teh preshuz
    I touched Death in a bad place.

My corporate slavery came with a shiny decoder ring.

I think comparing EVE to AO in terms of game development is a bit ridiculous. They aren't the same game and they don't use the same tools, business structure, assts, etc... There is no comparision there. Each game has different requirements and therefore, needs for different kinds of 'computer' people. I'm betting that EVE has much more complex database management than AO does, for instance.
    I'm sorry, but comparing music to AO is a bit ridiculous. They aren't the same product and they don't use the same tools, business structure, assets, etc. There is no comparison there. Each of them have different requirement and therefore, needs for different kinds of "consumer" people. I'm betting music has a much more complex physical media history than AO does, for instance.

Why don't you come up with an argument rather then reword what someone else said in some vain attempt to be ironic.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

I'm sorry, but comparing music to AO is a bit ridiculous.
    Ah, good, you're catching on ... so comparing different products is ridiculous is it? I'm glad you see it because EVE is not AO, neither is Everquest or Ultima Online, or any other game that you can post a link to to try to 'prove' that AO and FC are failing it's community.

OK, please do retort with how awful AO is, how long the graphics engine is delayed and how your expectations aren't being met .... while you continue to pay and play.
    Last edited by Obtena; Oct 19th, 2010 at 19:53:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    It's not Halloween yet, still over a week to go...
    Halloween was already patched last year before this time, they don't wait till the last minute usually before patching it which is why so many are asking for it but I hate to see it delayed because of Content reasons that have Bugs to work out and should not be rushed, I wish they woulda done them separate so we could start the Halloween Content.

WTB Info if we get to see Patch tomorrow since we're suppose to know today.
    Kamikaze "Kaitoujeanne" - 220/30/70 - Doctor
    .¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.•`
    Ice "Shivaz" Crystal - Meta-Physicist
    .¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.¸.•´☆ ¤º☆`.¸.•

Ah, good, you're catching on ... so comparing different products is ridiculous is it? I'm glad you see it because EVE is not AO, neither is Everquest or Ultima Online, or any other game that you can post a link to to try to 'prove' that AO and FC are failing it's community.

OK, please do retort with how awful AO is, how long the graphics engine is delayed and how your expectations aren't being met .... while you continue to pay and play.
    /bow

But you know he's just gona come back with something like "But AO is a game, so is EVE (etc) so they're comparable".
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast