Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Massively.com Interviews Means!

Funcom employee Massively.com Interviews Means!

It's Anarchy Online month over at Massively.com, and Justin "Syp" Olivetti (AKA The Game Archaeologist) recently sat down with AO game director Colin "Means" Cragg for an interview looking back at some of the history of Anarchy Online and chatting about the future of our favourite sci-fi MMORPG. To read more, visit the following link: Massively.com Interview with Colin "Means" Cragg

*Insert mass praise for a browser here*
    Hi I'm Carl!

Browser sounds very interesting... may i ask for iTunes/Winamp Plugin then once you are at work

Wow, new engine beta this year! Cool!

Old!
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

An in-game browser is something I've wanted and may have even asked for before. So hearing that it's in the works is good news.

Although in reading that interview I get the feeling the interviewer didn't look into things in advance enough to realize that Means was not the original game director at launch. Then presuming it was an interview as it makes it sound like rather than a mailed set of questions when he found that out a few questions in didn't adjust his questions or intro accordingly. With many of the questions centering around way back then things it sort of threw the whole thing off.

great news!
    220 crat
    196 MA
    140 Enfo
    85 Doc
    75 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    Old!
    I wasn't here at the time
    Scene :: Meta-Physicist :: 220/30/70
    Scenetoo :: Trader :: 204/28/52
    Scentinal :: Enforcer :: 165/22/33
    Scenato :: Keeper :: 136/16/25

AO Universe - by players, for players :: former general of Omni-Pol

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    An in-game browser is something I've wanted and may have even asked for before. So hearing that it's in the works is good news.

Although in reading that interview I get the feeling the interviewer didn't look into things in advance enough to realize that Means was not the original game director at launch. Then presuming it was an interview as it makes it sound like rather than a mailed set of questions when he found that out a few questions in didn't adjust his questions or intro accordingly. With many of the questions centering around way back then things it sort of threw the whole thing off.
    Yeah, it did feel quite awkward when the interviewer didn't catch on and kept going with his line of "tales of the past" questions.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Yeah, it did feel quite awkward when the interviewer didn't catch on and kept going with his line of "tales of the past" questions.
    That was probably one email of questions sent in one go as it often happens with magazines. Plus I believe that, as disastrous launch was, what happened in 2001 isn't really the first concern for today. I still appreciate all that was done this month (there is a message from Gaute in the memory page!).
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

beta meens testserver no? tho i doubht it wil be out this year..

Well depending on implementation you might be able to use the beta client to connect to to live. Probably not a good idea tho.

It should be client side only but we are talking about AO so..
    blah

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    For any good interview involving AO, the first thing that must be covered is the crappy launch, it appears to be journalism 101.

At least 25% of the interview was a total waste. I could ask far better questions.

Boy: "Mr. Owl, how many threads do we need to start for this?"

Mr. Owl: "Let's find out. One, two, three. Three."

Announcer: "How many threads DO we need to start for this?
    The world may never know..."
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Thread number 2 is the German translation

Quote Originally Posted by arctictiger View Post
    Thread number 2 is the German translation

Actually, it is not a translation of either of the other two threads that I linked to in my previous post. It is its own separate thread about the article, it just happens to be in German. Not to mention that some in that thread pointed out that there were many other threads referring to the article too.

In case anyone was unaware from looking at them, thread one and thread three that are linked in my previous post are both in English.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

IMHO, the Archeologist needs to get a shovel and dig some facts about AO, like previous interviews with Colin, to actually ask something NEW.

"Hey, how was the launch? oh you weren't there, ok.. so how was the game when it started? oh was that the same period of time I asked about before? oh... how about a bit after that? no? ok, you been in AO for 7 years, what were you doing in AO... 9 years ago"...

Even in an email interview (which I have done), you NEED to make sense of the interview, specially if you going to claim you "sat down" with AO's Game Director and then appears to have asked him lousy questions one after another.

Does this guy ever heard of a follow-up? ok that question didn't work, based on this answer over here, let me ask a different question in a SECOND (wow) email and see if I can make things flow better.

For the first impression, didn't like the interview, the reporter could have done a much better job, since he claims from previous articles to be a veteran player of AO from years past.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

we are working on incorporating an in-game browser into Anarchy Online and are looking forward to the interactive events we can get started once we have access to that kind of flexible technology.
    EVEaaaaaaaaaaaaNTS !

yeah

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast