Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aimed shot: what should it be?

Aimed shot: what should it be?

Seeing as how we've had a billion discussions about this, and Obtena seems to be intensely defending her assertion that "the AS pistol isn't broke, AS is"

I figure maybe it's time to discuss what EXACTLY we want Aimed shot to be.

I'd like to keep this a productive thread, so, lets keep it simple. Argue all you want, but try to add something or augment an idea, but don't just say stupid stuff like: This isn't RL, it's a game. because that doesn't help the situation.

I'll start:

1. I think aimed shot must need the person to stop running for some length of time before a high damage shot can be fired off.

2. I think only weapons which could JUSTIFIABLY be aimed accurately (please soldier/army/sniper dudes help me out here), be used for aimed shots. (no SMG's, AR's, pistols, energy pistols, that type of stuff.) like, only bows and rifles maybe to start with, possibly SOME shotguns?

3. I think aimed shot shouldn't be able to be used if under attack (and in range) of a melee prof (good luck taking time to aim a rifle with someone breaking your arms with a massive hammer/sword/chuck norris/etc), or as FC has said, they can interupt the attack... I think this makes good sense.

Without AS I dont see how I could kill most evade professions...so...something with reliable steady damage.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    your an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post

3. I think aimed shot shouldn't be able to be used if under attack (and in range) of a melee prof (good luck taking time to aim a rifle with someone breaking your arms with a massive hammer/sword/chuck norris/etc), or as FC has said, they can interupt the attack... I think this makes good sense.
    And I think aiming for someone's head/heart/crotch is significantly easier if he's 1-2m in front of you...the AS should actually be faster as you dont even need to look through your scope.

And it does more damage because the closer you are the faster the bullet is travelling
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    your an idiot

It would be nice if you could choose what will AS do, after rebalance.

F.ex., yes to 3 sec aiming but... Give us several "versions" of AS, ability to shot yer arm - lowers your AR for some time, low damage, ability to shot yer legs - snare, low damage, ability to shot yer head - good ol' 30% capping AS with a small chance of stun (concussion?).
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Lisergia View Post
    And I think aiming for someone's head/heart/crotch is significantly easier if he's 1-2m in front of you...the AS should actually be faster as you dont even need to look through your scope.
    In which case it's a shot, not an Aimed shot.

I agree with OP, certain weapons just don't qualify as 'aimed'. Pistols, for instance, unless they're so long as to be rifles (without the butt) don't qualify as aiming weapons. Can you aim them? Sure. But you're not going to hit anything over 100 yards away with any precision. You can 'aim' a bazooka, just not well enough to qualify as being an 'aimed shot'.

The amount of time to 'aim' the shot strikes me as being inconsequential, long as you aren't running. We're all supposed to be uberificated by implants and stuff, so we could theoretically aim and shoot a rifle in a second.

We do, however, have to surprise our target and that means we have to conceal. We should be able to conceal multiple times (if we can duck around a corner I don't see why we can't hide even if a mob/person is still hating on us). If you can't conceal more than your target's perception than you shouldn't be able to AS, no matter what else is going on.

Shotguns and AS: no, that makes no sense. Shotguns have spray, kick, short range. They are the opposite of 'aimed'.

If you can't hit an opponent without a weapon that really doesn't check any defenses than you aren't supposed to be able to shoot that opponent. Your toolset calls for something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by If6Was9 View Post
    In which case it's a shot, not an Aimed shot.
    I AIM at a specific point, not hold my gun in their rough direction ...
    Lets count beans.

I do like your conceal/perception idea but the masters of perception are the profs you'd probably need as against most. Pretty sure it would only allow shades and agents to AS me.

Actually if balancing goes well this would work...
    Last edited by Lisergia; Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:04:12.

If they could make AS chk against evades. U could put AS on a shovel for all I cared, but make it like any other special.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Aimed shot: what should it be?
    1. Raise AS cap to 15k

2. In pvp = Locked to Agents / No 3s cast time

3. In pvm = Repeatable without having to conceal, automatic check, if your conceal skill > mobs perception = Allow another AS. I don't think agents need an addition (burst like) special added like was mentioned, even tho it might be nice.

Balanced an fixed

A bit crazy that a pure Artillery profession has one of, if not the lowest DD at end game. Oh, an raise crit bonus on all rifles! More powerful Detaunt tools, once AS is fixed. WTB weapon kit in game, that allows agents to add Silencer Proc to thier weapons.

I think alot of the problems we have now is due to professions using weapons that weren't really supposed to be in thier hands to begin with. I get that AO has an open skill system. But blurring the lines kinda ruins what some professions can bring to teams. One of the reasons I wont throw a Bigburger on my engy, ffs we do enough DD as it is.

FA = Roll Soldier / Fixer / Ranged Advy
    AS = Roll Agent

^^ Thats part of the fun of playing those professions, getting to use a weapon special most dont get to use, an not suck at it.

Too many wannabe this / that psuedo professions. Oh an ffs, give those ranged advy's thier FA support they been asking for, an strip them of AS.
    Last edited by Rubika-1; Oct 27th, 2010 at 11:35:17.

AS is only popular because it's the only way to do consistent damage against the extremely high defenses that are the norm these days. Even profs with top-tier attack rating must resort to using it because nothing else is reliable. Best way to fix it is to make other specials and regular attacks more useful.

Only way to fix Aimed Shot, in my opinion is two-fold:

1. Improve other specials (full auto, burst, fling, etc).
    2. Improve Grenade/HW/Bow type weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by quitter187 View Post
    And it does more damage because the closer you are the faster the bullet is travelling
    Um, over the kind of ranges we are talking about, that difference is insignificant. Anyways, the game's physics isn't that sophisticated.

Honestly, I think their are two things that AS needs:

1. Recharge of 40 seconds
    2. usable in PVM

FC got 50% of that right. Anything above that is just icing. Different kinds of AS would be nice. I think FC is sort of giving us that with the AS + conceal = 0 execution time. I don't think FC should give different 'damage' types of AS. That could severely impact how ranged professions PVP in a deterimental way. For instance if your AS damage doubled from conceal, then I can predict that PVP = melee running around in packs looking for ranged users to PVP with. Not sure that's a kind of segregation we want in AO PVP.
    Last edited by Obtena; Oct 27th, 2010 at 14:52:44.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Aimed Shot ...

Recharge cap for Agent -> 15s
    Recharge cap for Soldier -> 25s (not useable with FA)
    Recharge cap for MP, Crat, Doc, Trader, Adv, Fixer -> 35s
    Recharge cap for Keeper, Enfo, Shade, NT -> 100s

ALL Rifles, Bows, Pistols... with aimed shot, should have an equip delay up to 10s !
    Paragraph78 225/34/70 ( E )

aimed shot = 100% check for non agents/soldiers/ maybe mp's and ma's

85% for sold/mp/ma
    70% for agents? (possibly lower)

not like a perk check, but regular attack.

balance
    Hellrule 220/30/70 - Your future Crat Dictator
    Secretly Clan

Quote Originally Posted by Paragraph78 View Post
    Aimed Shot ...

Recharge cap for Agent -> 15s
    Recharge cap for Soldier -> 25s (not useable with FA)
    Recharge cap for MP, Crat, Doc, Trader, Adv, Fixer -> 35s
    Recharge cap for Keeper, Enfo, Shade, NT -> 100s

ALL Rifles, Bows, Pistols... with aimed shot, should have an equip delay up to 10s !
    Tell us why Soldiers should have a 25s recharge again?

Quote Originally Posted by quitter187 View Post
    Not quite true. It depends more on what kind of bullet/ammo and caliber. A fast bullet wich doesnt wiggle can go clean through your shoulder, but a slow and unsteady one can rip your arm off.

Recharge for aimed shot-> 20 secs
    Increase PVM damage to 20k (YOUR SHOOTING SOMETHING IN THE HEAD WITH A RIFLE! OFC IT SHOULD DO MORE DAMAGE)
    Usable only with a bow or rifle
    To be able to AS without a execution time, you should be in conceal AND not be seen by the target.

If seen by the target, 3 sec execution time to line up the shot and fire. If hit by a melee attack during this time, it starts a stacking debuff for accuracy (-5% accuracy per any hit [ranged or melee] hit) if accuracy is still over 80% direct hit, normal as rules apply. If accuracy is under 80% AC is taken into account. If accuracy is below 75% then AC is still taken into account and the check is Evades+AAD VS Aimed shot+AAO. All specials, including full auto, should be calculated as 1 normal attack.

Still so much faith in seeing some kind of change happen at all - its scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellrule View Post
    aimed shot = 100% check for non agents/soldiers/ maybe mp's and ma's

85% for sold/mp/ma
    70% for agents? (possibly lower)

not like a perk check, but regular attack.

balance
    Thinking 65% for agents would be about right. 85 seems good for sold/ma. I still think MP's should be grouped with the rest. Having the tigress doesn't really seem like an excuse to be a good AS profession. They are support based. MA/Soldier are combat (both with ranged/AS/etc support) and agents are obviously the superior AS profession.
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

2. I think only weapons which could JUSTIFIABLY be aimed accurately (please soldier/army/sniper dudes help me out here), be used for aimed shots. (no SMG's, AR's, pistols, energy pistols, that type of stuff.) like, only bows and rifles maybe to start with, possibly SOME shotguns?
    To me AS should only be on weapons that require 2-hands, single handed AS weapons just doesn't seem right.

AS should be the main special on said weapon also, so no FA/AS combos.
    .:: Stigman : 220 / 30 / 70 : NM Engineer (PVM 35% Crit) : I Make It, You Buy It : FIRST Omni NM Engi to hit 220/30/70 on RK1 ::.
    .:: Stigmartyr : 220 / 30 / 70 : Opi Shade (Neutral) : Piercing Princess ::.
    .:: Levinstein : 220 / 30 / 70 : Opi Agent : Sneaky Sniper ::.
    .:: Lexstein : 150 / 20 / 42 : Trox Engineer : Sector Ten : Currently the ONLY 150/20/42 Trox Engi on RK1 ::.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast