Page 1 of 16 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Announcement Concerning a New Anarchy Online In-Game Store

Funcom employee Announcement Concerning a New Anarchy Online In-Game Store

I am typing this as I see a group of you outside with torches.

Earlier than we expected a first version of the in-game browser I have mentioned in the past will be coming to TestLive at some point this evening. Currently this browser is locked to displaying only the up and coming Anarchy Online In-Game Store until we can sort out some technical and possible security issues that arise from visiting sites outside our control. It is also intended that this will be used to improve the current petition system to allow for faster and more efficient customer service. The uses of this technology are going to free us up to do a lot of different things we have wanted to do for years.

That being said I just said "Item Store". Before anyone gets upset (probably already too late) speculating about us selling BOC or RBP in this store let me assure you that the general guidelines we set out years ago of not selling "power" for money is still very much in force. The items/services available from the store will focus on social and convenience uses only. I'm certain there will be some items some might find objectionable...but I am sure we can all agree the free to play market has moved on without us quite some time ago and I feel we can no longer afford to not offer these services. It is also important to mention that NO..the engine guys have not been developing this browser...it has been licensed from a third party company and in no way has affected development time in this area. Staff associated with the balancing effort have also spent zero hours on this initative.

Many of the items that will be available are ones that have been requested for YEARS at this point. "if you guys sold this I would buy it!" It is early yet, but when we have a complete list of all intended items we will post it for proper review and discussion.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

OK, fears are qualmed a bit for now, but those torches were lit for a reason.

Tread carefully - if this backfires, seeing as how you've admitted AO is on a tight balance, this could literally mean the end of AO.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

I agree with Saetos, however I can definatley see where you guys are going with this.

On the note of the in game browser almost on live, that sounds awesome! I can't wait for it, and will definatley be a good mechanic in the UI of the game.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    OK, fears are qualmed a bit for now, but those torches were lit for a reason.

Tread carefully - if this backfires, seeing as how you've admitted AO is on a tight balance, this could literally mean the end of AO.
    Saying we can't afford to ignore a possible revenue source is not the same thing as saying we are on a "tight balance". The game is easily financially viable at the moment..but I would like to put it in the position of being viable for ten MORE years. This obviously means considering and planning our future and business models accordingly. The world is changing and we need to as well. It is nice to be in the position of making these choices on our terms and not having them made for us.

We ALL want the same things for AO.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

well Means if i wouldn´t know you i would go raging and buy some torches... but Oslo is too far at the moment so i will rather wait what items will come into the store, i hope you really know the difference between F2P(Itemstore) Games and AO, which is #2 on the list of MMO prices (you should be thankful to Square/Enix because FF14 is more expensive, 10€ Basic account 'with 1 char plus 3 more € for every other character hehe), but well ok i will just wait for whatever there will come.

If it is only some social items with not too much relevance for the game i think it is fine and acceptable, as long as i will never be able to buy some Ac/Dc like stuff in there (well ok if it was ONLY me who could buy this it would be something different hehehehehe).
    Last edited by ElBoogy; Nov 5th, 2010 at 19:51:15.

first page? yay

Edit: I litted up my torch, started swimming from the netherlands, but the torch went out.
    Note to self: Torches are not sea-proof

Don't think it's too bad, you can ignore the shop if you want to.

The ingame browser will change a lot.
    Will this also be beneficial for the scripters among us?
    Last edited by Xatgunner; Nov 5th, 2010 at 19:50:26.
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Saying we can't afford to ignore a possible revenue source is not the same thing as saying we are on a "tight balance". The game is easily financially viable at the moment..but I would like to put it in the position of being viable for ten MORE years. This obviously means considering and planning our future and business models accordingly. The world is changing and we need to as well. It is nice to be in the position of making these choices on our terms and not having them made for us.

We ALL want the same things for AO.
    Alrighty

And yes I am excited about the in-game browser. I'm just kinda worried about something like this, is all.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

What would we expect. New social armor, perhaps flashier yalms, or pets something like Blizzard's Store for WoW?
    220/30 - Spartanx9. Back for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquihana
    Haquihana: And Spartanx9, I dont usually spend much time in the soldier forums.. you all don't make enough rucus (NOTE: this is not a message of approval to go cause unjust trouble)
    Sounds like i need to cause some trouble I kid i kid

Bikes/hoverboards bought for PaidPoints are already at borderline - some toons use Adrenaline/Endorphin factory in HUD1 and so can't switch it to Yalm and back at any time, so it gives unfair advantage / bit of "power".
    Single issue like this still might be tolerated cause everyone who pay for 2 months can afford it with "free" PaidPoints, but even adding more things like this might have dramatic consequences if amount of such items reach critical mass.
    Candle645 - Soldier, 220/30/70; Arieel - Keeper, 220/30/70; Candleadv - Adventurer, 220/30/70; Candlemech - Engineer, 220/30/70; Candlekicks - Martial Artist, 215/26/67; Candlegrids - Fixer, 126/15/max; Candledoc - 200 uber froob

I think its really ok and good for the game (if you look to the future).

Its ok as long as there are no items / things that will affect the game balance at all.

(example: xp stims / rare ingame loot)

Good to hear Means that you think and look into the future of AO. I always was a bit worried about the financial situation of AO and how long this game will exist.

So I´m happy now cause I shouldn´t worry to much about AOs future as long as its in your hand.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Nanowolf View Post
    I think its really ok and good for the game (if you look to the future).

Its ok as long as there are no items / things that will affect the game balance at all.

(example: xp stims / rare ingame loot)

Good to hear Means that you think and look into the future of AO. I always was a bit worried about the financial situation of AO and how long this game will exist.

So I´m happy now cause I shouldn´t worry to much about AOs future as long as its in your hand.
    We will absolutely be putting in XP Stims. This is the perfect example of items that have been asked for by the playerbase. You can choose to spend your time or your money in how fast you choose to level. These items have dropped in the past and have not broken "game balance". Someone who used the previously dropping stims is not in any way more powerfull than someone who didn't.

Rare loot will absolutely not be available in the store.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Quick question, if you are able to answer it at this time:

Will this new browser be advanced enough to play youtube videos and such (just as an example) or will it be a basic and restricted kind of browser?
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Well Xp Stims are okay for me, but only if you don´t remove the actual leveling speed so we are forced to buy them because we would otherwise need 100 Infmissions for level 219-220, but i don´t think this will ever be the case.

When can we expect a little overview of available Items Means? and will you maybe be discussing them with us so if for example 99% of the playerbase would be against an item in there to change it?

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    I'm just taking this as a wait and see thing. I'll check test tomorrow to see what's there.
    Only test items in there now. Nothing to see...but please try out some of the other code improvements and try and break them
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

breaking things is the special ability of most of us hehe

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by ElBoogy View Post
    Well Xp Stims are okay for me, but only if you don´t remove the actual leveling speed so we are forced to buy them because we would otherwise need 100 Infmissions for level 219-220, but i don´t think this will ever be the case.

When can we expect a little overview of available Items Means? and will you maybe be discussing them with us so if for example 99% of the playerbase would be against an item in there to change it?
    No we won't be changing leveling speed. If anything we will be increasing it at some level ranges.

We'll get the list out as soon as we can. But I am glad you mentioned "99% of the playerbase". Right now it is difficult to get feedback on issues from the people actually playing the game as we need to either speak directly to the players (good but time consuming), read the forums (which isn't always a good representation of "everyones opinion") or send out surveys. Think what we could do with an in-game poll in the browser? I'm looking forward to it.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

you could log in and ask anyone hehe but yes with a browser it will be much easier for you.

I hope this will improve overall ao experience because it gives you more possibilitys to reach the playerbase for RP-Stuff invitations (Party invitations) or things like this.

"until we can sort out some technical and possible security issues that arise from visiting sites outside our control."

Please keep in mind how important this is. Adding something like Flash might sound good to the boss, so he can have fancy moving pictures and sounds, but it's a massive security hole, and you would really have to stay on top of keeping it patched as a new vulnerability arises each week. Some kind of 'safe browsing' option is essential: no scripting, no cookies, and no way for private data to be sent to third parties. Please take the time to do this right.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    We will absolutely be putting in XP Stims. This is the perfect example of items that have been asked for by the playerbase. You can choose to spend your time or your money in how fast you choose to level. These items have dropped in the past and have not broken "game balance". Someone who used the previously dropping stims is not in any way more powerfull than someone who didn't.

Rare loot will absolutely not be available in the store.
    Okay... xp stims wouldn´t hurt the balance thats right. I even thought about another game at the same moment and was scared about it *laugh*

I even get pwned by myself when I think about other horribly failed online games with item stores which has really destroyed the balance.

AO is different.....thats really good. I trust in you and your team so I also shouldn´t have to worry too much about this....

Page 1 of 16 12345678910111213141516 LastLast