Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Announcement Concerning a New Anarchy Online In-Game Store

Im hoping they'll do it so that its always time vs money.

So nothing goes in that couldn't be gotten eventually anyway in game and of course, no rare or majorly game changing equipment purchasable.

Of course chances are they will want to put some otherwise unobtainable items in the store (the game companies always do as it tends towards forcing people to pay) in which case getting stuff to spend in the store with your subscription is a reasonable solution.

That said, this may break the game for me if they go overboard on the shop, I've never liked micro-transactions with my games and I never will, but I can accept them to a point.

The minute special weapons and armours start popping up and stuff that is "must have" but purchase only, that's the point I (and I dare say a fair few others) will probably leave.

And this would be a shame, AO has been a big part of my life and I'd hate to see it destroyed by some money making scheme that seems to be along the lines of "they did it so were doing it too!"

I got a feeling.

That the new player startup area will be a shop.
    Buy a box with your profession specific nanos, imps etc.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    We will absolutely be putting in XP Stims.
    You put XP stims in game.
    You see it was not a good idea.
    Some time later you put XP stims in game AGAIN, without any changes.
    You remember why it was a bad idea, nerf the XP stims screwing with people that did NOT farm it.
    Some time later you put XP stims in a freaking item mall..

I thought I have seen every level of stupidity, but guess not..

PS: Can I pay 15 EEK for items that cost 15 USD to others? Let's be fair, right?
    <Means> I always laugh when I have to type "/get sex" when debugging

[Social] Eponyx: I don't drink, yeah it is true. Can you please get that pink moose of the platform. And park the polkadot elephant to reclaim.

Uaintseenme: This is why i love Test sever so Much.
    I can wake up in the morning and think to my self, "Im going to break AO today" and should i managed to do it, I'll get rewarded for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamathefixer View Post
    But it wouldn't be a bad idea to give either a) a discount to people who subscribe for longer periods of time, or b) give cheaper items to those who are paying for longer periods of time.

Example = 5 free xp stims for a 6 month subscription (just an example)
    It seems like this example would be more inline with the existing PP program; I'm curious to see how Means & Co will differentiate an in-game shop from the "business model" of paid points.

As for the browser, I wonder about services like recipenet et al. Might they move toward solely web-based info? Might Kimi's shopping lists be more closely tied in with channels (more/different links etc)? Should be an interesting ride.

Only test items in there now. Nothing to see...but please try out some of the other code improvements and try and break them
    Ah, oh well. I'll still go to test to check and test things. The actual items not being in yet just means we'll be waiting longer to see what you'll be offering but my wait and see point still stands.

Right now it is difficult to get feedback on issues from the people actually playing the game as we need to either speak directly to the players (good but time consuming), read the forums (which isn't always a good representation of "everyones opinion") or send out surveys. Think what we could do with an in-game poll in the browser? I'm looking forward to it.
    Yes! Do it!! Been saying you guys should be doing that for some time. Good stuff.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    1. Give subscribers a small amount each month to spend in the Item shop, bonus for subscribing
    The shop will use the service points available on your billing site. All AO accounts have been receiving these points for the past 3 years. Most of you probably have more points than you realise that are unused.

Currently you get:
    1 month - 50 points
    3 months - 250 points
    6 months - 500 points
    12 months - 1200 points

To check your point total, log in at https://register.funcom.com/account/paidservice/ctrl
    A Genuine Lucien - Accept No Substitutes

yes but you forgot to say that we won´t get the 1200 paid points with your special birthday offer which included the stupid black mech.... if i would have known this before i won´t have chosen the black mech....

but at least it isn´t worst to see that you are using the service points/paid points and not new points again.

Btw will there be differences in the items in the shop and the way they charge?

Like some items (xp stims!) will be charged for the Paid Points which are on a Character and other items will be charged for the Service Points you have on the account page?

Or will everything be charged for the service points you have on the account page, meaning the almost 5000 Paid Points i have transfered ingame to buy an apartement on 2 of my characters (they were charged seperatly of course, but this leaves my other characters having high amount of points unused atm) become even more useless?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucien View Post

Seriously though I apologise we weren't able to show you the shop today. We are working on getting it fully working with Testlive and we'll hopefully be able to show it off next week.
    Speaking of billing, if you get a chance to change the automated renewal email from "your account is now frozen" to "your account is now renewed" & maybe include a receipt of the renewal purchase, plus have it come from billing@anarchyonline.com or billing@funcom.com, instead of billing@ageofconan.com it would be greatly appreciated & much less confusing when I have accounts for each game registered to the same email address.

Also, can we get individual icons for the various "Your Products" add-ons to our accounts back please? 10+ icons of the AO logo that have to be hovered over to find out what they represent is a bit silly when the individual icons were previously available.

Thank you.

The shop will use the service points available on your billing site. All AO accounts have been receiving these points for the past 3 years. Most of you probably have more points than you realise that are unused.

Currently you get:
    1 month - 50 points
    3 months - 250 points
    6 months - 500 points
    12 months - 1200 points

To check your point total, log in at https://register.funcom.com/account/paidservice/ctrl
    I just renewed for another year on October 23rd & it was only 1000 points with each yearly renewal.

This is another reason the paid points need to be tracked like any other monetary transaction in the game. Discrepancies are too easy to happen when we have no viewable record of when points are spent on items in our account or transferred to our characters.
    Last edited by tazalanche; Nov 6th, 2010 at 12:31:28.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by ElBoogy View Post
    yes but you forgot to say that we won´t get the 1200 paid points with your special birthday offer which included the stupid black mech.... if i would have known this before i won´t have chosen the black mech....
    I just checked and you do get the points if you buy the anniversary offer, there was a mistake though. It was only giving 1000 instead of 1200, that is fixed now (and I credited everyone who bought it with the extra 200 points)

Quote Originally Posted by quitter456 View Post
    XP Stims - too powerful to be traded among players, just powerful enough to milk subscribers via PP.
    $ for XP. The social stuff, fine. But XP for $ is only just the beginning.

Meh. I think this is about it for me and MMOs in general. Eve is going that way too.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

I just checked and you do get the points if you buy the anniversary offer, there was a mistake though. It was only giving 1000 instead of 1200, that is fixed now (and I credited everyone who bought it with the extra 200 points)
    Thank you VERY much.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Oh ok than i was mistaken, i got told i won´t get PP for the anniversary offer.

But what is with my other question Lucien, can you tell us something about it yet, or do we have to wait?

Will the Items in the Store charge our Characters PaidPoints account or our Account-Account (stupid choice of words erm)... so for example, i transfer 500 Service Points ingame to my account, every of my characters get 500 Paid Points, can i buy Item A which costs 400 Points with my Advy and Item B which costs 300 Points with my Doctor because the toon is charged and not the account, or can we only get items with the Service Point we have on our account and not transfered ingame yet, which will result in Ingame Paid Points became even more useless.

Seeing as this is kinda the trend with MMO's these days it shouldnt really surprise anyone. If you want to stay in the market you need to adapt to it.

Having played DDO extensively (and World of Tanks) I can see why the market has turned this way.

With DDO in particular it seems a great way to generate extra revenue off the customers that dont mind paying extra.

For my own part I think many people overreact. You can CHOOSE to put some extra money into the game, and actually I think those who dont should thank those who do, because in the long run a game needs to stay financialy viable. If a game doesnt generate any money, then the plug will get pulled fast. So I think this is a good way to keep AO for a long time to come.

As an aside, please please please spend some of the money on a new "clean" default server for AO 2.0 (new engine). I think the new players/returning players might want a clean slate.
    Ingame names;
    Slayertank 220 enf | Slayerbabe 200 adv | Mythic 175 mp
    Xziztenzia 180 doc | Loveleet 205 engie | Babita 175 crat
    Slayershade 59 shade | Savio 213 NT (main) | Anlor 201 mp
    Slayerfixer1 213 fixer | Bjirk 220 sold | Murder101 178 trader |

Oh no. Oh nonononono.

Seriously. Any form of 'In-Game' shop is just BAD. AO WILL die from it.

As has been stated already, the European playerbase will just up and leave, we have been paying an extortionate amount of money for our subscription for a very long time and we put up with it because of our love of the game, but this... may break the camels back.

This is a classic 'Please Sir, can I have some more' scenario.

Really Means, I would suggest you pull some numbers from somewhere and make a portfolio and go throw it at the FC higher ups. Get them to fund a few more members into your team so that you can roll out the changes sooner and get the advertising started as that would be a much more worthwhile endeavour than creating something that is universally hated in every MMO.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by ElBoogy View Post
    Oh ok than i was mistaken, i got told i won´t get PP for the anniversary offer.

But what is with my other question Lucien, can you tell us something about it yet, or do we have to wait?

Will the Items in the Store charge our Characters PaidPoints account or our Account-Account (stupid choice of words erm)... so for example, i transfer 500 Service Points ingame to my account, every of my characters get 500 Paid Points, can i buy Item A which costs 400 Points with my Advy and Item B which costs 300 Points with my Doctor because the toon is charged and not the account, or can we only get items with the Service Point we have on our account and not transfered ingame yet, which will result in Ingame Paid Points became even more useless.
    This, will we be using PP that we transferred to our characters or the ones that we haven't yet transferred?

All AO accounts have been receiving these points for the past 3 years. Most of you probably have more points than you realise that are unused.

Currently you get:
    1 month - 50 points
    3 months - 250 points
    6 months - 500 points
    12 months - 1200 points

What? None of my accounts have ever got free points except the ones that used some special upgrade offer and that was one time bonus ofcourse.
    <Means> I always laugh when I have to type "/get sex" when debugging

[Social] Eponyx: I don't drink, yeah it is true. Can you please get that pink moose of the platform. And park the polkadot elephant to reclaim.

Uaintseenme: This is why i love Test sever so Much.
    I can wake up in the morning and think to my self, "Im going to break AO today" and should i managed to do it, I'll get rewarded for it.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal View Post
    What? None of my accounts have ever got free points except the ones that used some special upgrade offer and that was one time bonus ofcourse.
    It only applies to full accounts currently, shadowlands and free accounts don't get points.

Edit: nevermind, I have just realized how many passwords I have in regards with AO. Username, accountname, forumname...

My appologies to Lucien and anybody else who might went into fit because of original post
    Last edited by Trgeorge; Nov 6th, 2010 at 15:28:58.
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

Quote Originally Posted by Xziztenzia View Post
    Seeing as this is kinda the trend with MMO's these days it shouldnt really surprise anyone. If you want to stay in the market you need to adapt to it.

Having played DDO extensively (and World of Tanks) I can see why the market has turned this way.

With DDO in particular it seems a great way to generate extra revenue off the customers that dont mind paying extra.

For my own part I think many people overreact. You can CHOOSE to put some extra money into the game, and actually I think those who dont should thank those who do, because in the long run a game needs to stay financialy viable. If a game doesnt generate any money, then the plug will get pulled fast. So I think this is a good way to keep AO for a long time to come.

As an aside, please please please spend some of the money on a new "clean" default server for AO 2.0 (new engine). I think the new players/returning players might want a clean slate.

DDO, acctualy at is base works very well for this type of payment, AO not so...

Still, if you are going to do this, please get someone to consider disparity between euro-payers and rest... At current 1-1 rate it just isn't fair, I accept that we might have to pay the VAT, but no more...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Would love to buy social, and handy stuff

Sometimes we miss out Halloween or Christmas due to IRL, but XP? It's ehm...

Can always just make the leveling faster, increase xp on mobs, buffs, renew things and so on...so we not buy xp

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast