Thread: Friday with Means - November 12th, 2010 - Changes large and small

Quote Originally Posted by freor View Post
    it's no longer the same game many of us have fallen in love with over the years when your real-life wallet starts to buy you power. And it's not hard to see where this is leading. Some time ago means stated they would never ever sell anything other than social items for real money. Last week we heard about xp stims for $ which were originally removed from trading due to "being too powerfull". Now they reveal tokens, vp, reset points being for sale too. Buyable levels in the horizon. Really... It doesn't take einstein to figure out where this leads.
    qft.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpeline View Post
    Well if this goes thru I guess it is bye bye Ao, hello heck-noob online. I'm not interested in paying for this kind of game where you can buy levels, equipment and tokens.
    I'll wait to see if this really goes live, but if it does. Bye bye AO
    Who knew a positive could have come from such a negative idea.

*thumbs up*
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Flipyap View Post
    As I stated earlier: More people buying lvls = less people for me to team with between 1-200.
    I really really doubt that. My opinion is that the people who will buy level-packages are the same people that prefer to pay credits for pocket-tank leveling. The people who love to run around and team will still do that.
    Ingame names;
    Slayertank 220 enf | Slayerbabe 200 adv | Mythic 175 mp
    Xziztenzia 180 doc | Loveleet 205 engie | Babita 175 crat
    Slayershade 59 shade | Savio 213 NT (main) | Anlor 201 mp
    Slayerfixer1 213 fixer | Bjirk 220 sold | Murder101 178 trader |

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Who knew a positive could have come from such a negative idea.

*thumbs up*
    hehe
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    Having transfered a fr00b toon to a paid account not too recently (he was level 113), I personall shudder to think of starting a toon at lvl 199. Yes, you can immediate have your 1K board and a full set of OFAB armor/weaps. But dem caps. Unless you start at lvl 199/le 8/AI 17, it's still going to take you awhile to get up to snuff. At least if you are doing those as you go along, it doesn't feel like quite so much of a grind. Daily missions help of course, but starting a toon clean at 199 is not as awesome as it might sound.

At AI0 it takes 1 AI Daily to get you to AI3, in 5 days you should be around AI10.
    A couple of hours being kited in Inferno Spirit room, and your lowbie research is fixed.

The AI daily missions are stupidly easy. Soon there will probably be a "loot service" for S7 NODROP weapons, and you can fund buying those by selling OFAB armor.
    Then you got a OFAB equipped toon with a S7 weapon (or anything else that would be better/cheaper) and you can go farm S7 for creds.

So in under a week you can have a decently equipped 199 toon, doing S7 to farm more creds and AXP. And the only thing that had to suffer was your VISA buying 10k PP.

Great damn concept FunCom!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    I’m not saying I’m totally sold on the idea in general but I think the effect of buying levels on lower level players finding teams is being vastly overestimated. If someone has a 220 and they want a new twink of a given level- 60, 100, 220 etc... they’re not going to casually wander around joining teams of noobs to get there. They’re going to be powerlevelled and blow past low level players in hours if not minutes.

This change won’t make things better for low teams, but I can’t see it having much negative effect either. I can’t imagine that there are currently hoards of 220s rolling new twink toons every day- slowly leveling alongside new players up to their desired level. I suspect it’s not all that common that a 220 rolls a new toon for the express purpose of twinking at a given level. How many 220s do this in a given day that we’d be robbing the low level players of their experience and wisdom by letting them jump ahead 50-200 levels?

If someone does roll a new toon- to try out a new profession for example, there’s nothing that says they will automatically use the paid-level method. The experienced players who have 220s and want to take their time leveling and actually playing a new toon- while teaming and helping new players- will still do that. The people that will actually help new players won’t be using the “buy-level” method.

If someone wants to powerlevel to a specific level, you’re not taking anything away from new players by letting him just BE there. You can’t force twink-minded people to level slowly with new players. They aren’t doing it anyway.

No I don't expect them to level up slowly alongside the newbies. I expect them to have a well equipped toon that brings random newbies along for the ride while leveling up. And this isn't an unrealistic expectation. When I was a newbie in the subway, totw, ely heck teams, there were often well equipped players that teamed with me for no particular reason other than they don't lose anything by doing so. Along the way I learned from them.

Now that I myself have made new toons with funds to back them up and time spent getting them good equipment, I have done the same. If I'm alone leveling in totw, subway, or killing ely hecks I will pick up anyone I see, no matter their equipment or experience. I don't really lose any xp and it helps them out. I'm sure that other people do this too.

The point is, 220s that would be willing to buy a high level character would otherwise be leveling up their character along with others, especially at low levels when there aren't great options for powerleveling. And those low levels are the most important ones for the newbies. Most people would want to avoid the level grind at the beginning, but forcing them to do it as we have been doing for the past 9 years inadvertently helps the newbies, even if those people aren't going out of their way to help them. It's just easy and convenient to help newbies if you're the same level as them.
    Last edited by LyrLazarus; Nov 12th, 2010 at 22:16:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Xziztenzia View Post
    I really really doubt that. My opinion is that the people who will buy level-packages are the same people that prefer to pay credits for pocket-tank leveling. The people who love to run around and team will still do that.
    I disagree. I would probably buy a level package if it existed, but I don't pay credits for pocket-tank leveling. I often level with newbies at the beginning and help them out if I can because it's convenient, though I would prefer to skip the whole grind. I'm sure there are others like me. I don't think level packages would be good for AO.

If I could just point something out... You would still have to pay for all the stuff in this new shop, not everyone can afford or is willing to spend money (what will probably be a large amount) on insta-levelling to 199 or whatever.

I certainly would, but then, you are unlikely to ever see me levelling the normal way anyway as I don't have the patience..

buying a level 199 char wouldnt be so bad if they could get rid of duel logging

"People that can afford luxury will buy it, but in the airplanes case they aren't buying reduced traveling time, the passengers all get there at the same time."

As of today this is correct, but not long ago this was not the case. You DID have a luxury travel-form with the Concorde trans-atlantic flight :-)

Regarding the argument of "now we buy creds for real money"...really? What you are saying is that you buy VP to buy OFAB to sell ingame for creds? First of all the OFAB market will get crowded...fast and prices will fall. Second, we dont know the price for VP yet so who knows how much it actually costs. I doubt very much that this will have the impact people try to argue here.

Have none of you entrepeneurs figured out how this will impact prices for armor-upgrade bios? I am dead certain that the market for upgrade clumps will be HUGE once this goes live. So if you want to make a buck, you might want to farm some.
    Ingame names;

Btw you FC guys might want to add "micro-transactions" or something in the reason for canceling list on the account page to get more accurate feedback...

Quote Originally Posted by LyrLazarus View Post
    The point is, 220s that would be willing to buy a high level character would otherwise be leveling up their character along with others, especially at low levels when there aren't great options for powerleveling. And those low levels are the most important ones for the newbies. Most people would want to avoid the level grind at the beginning, but forcing them to do it as we have been doing for the past 9 years inadvertently helps the newbies, even if those people aren't going out of their way to help them. It's just easy and convenient to help newbies if you're the same level as them.
    I put it to you, that most 220's that would be willing to buy a high level character EVERYTIME would probably not be one of the people that would be around helping others level, but instead be one the people with OST/NT kites that just power level up there characters ignoring others.

Sure it may have a slight effect, may get one or two people to buy a character that they would have otherwise have leveled up normally, but it won't remove them all, clearly by the noise made a lot of people dislike the idea of buying and then you have plenty of people that can't afford to do fanciful things like purchase game characters.

Personally I think the things that will have the biggest impact on the game will be the purchasable VP and the non-prof locked prof tools.

Fixers await eagerly their first grid nano's, crats can go through some extensive farming to get their mobile bank and traders like their portable gms.

Now thats thrown to the crappers as people can just buy them from the store straight away, no effort, no reason just removing some rather nice perks from classes that don't really have that much going for them these days.

I remember fondly being invited to teams because they knew that I could aid the team getting around missions as well as give some nice minor buffs... those where the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriang View Post
    buying a level 199 char wouldnt be so bad if they could get rid of duel logging
    You seriously want Funcom to block people's ability to log more than 1 account? You are aware that many of the people using more than 1 account is actually paying full subscription on 1 or more of them? Personaly I pay full subscription for 2 acccounts pluss 1 with the limited SL status (5euro a month). Hate to break it to you but why would Funcom shoot themselves in the foot and limit people to only 1 account (and hence likely only 1 subsciption)?

And if they even tried I will bet you a billion that people will find ways to bypass this which offcourse opens up another can of worms in 3rd party aplications.
    Ingame names;

Quote Originally Posted by Xziztenzia View Post
    Have none of you entrepeneurs figured out how this will impact prices for armor-upgrade bios? I am dead certain that the market for upgrade clumps will be HUGE once this goes live. So if you want to make a buck, you might want to farm some.
    Yes demand will increase greatly, but so will supply as people like you expect there to be a lot of money in it :P

I would say that prices won't change that much then. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if bios prices went down as more suppliers appear and compete in prices, considering there aren't many suppliers now and so the current supplier/suppliers are basically monopolists that have a lot of freedom to set prices high.
    Last edited by LyrLazarus; Nov 12th, 2010 at 22:26:19.

Hehe, id love to buy a level 199 - froob.

Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

How much longer until people can start buying 220 and ai lvls+research? Guess the patch after the introduction of paid terminals.

This will just be the start.
    Toyhazard 220/30/70 Engie
    Dwix 220/30/70 Fix
    Deathwalkerz 220/30/70 Advie
    Deathsrow 170/24/42 Advie
    Rowsofdeath 161/22/42 Fix
    Buckket 118/11 Agent
    Lemonparty 85/9 Tard
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I can't code in better leadership for the Clan faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    Hehe, id love to buy a level 199 - froob.

You'd need to have a level 220 on that froob account though to be able to

Well, its been some nice years with a game I liked a lot. I believe my relationship with fc is mostly over, but who knows. I've tried games where you can/must buy every little thing and I dont like it, but maybe ao will prove otherwise. Perhaps..
    And no, this isnt a rage/emo quitwhine. Ao isnt the game I bought and started to play. It was my first mmo and I liked it before I was finished talkin to that beautiful nurse on the crashed ship. I never reached the island on my first char because my settings was wrong, I could see only 1 meter
    But the game has changed a lot in my time, I cant imagine how its changed for them real vets, but for me it have gone slightly downwards, and those changes announced now does look like the final blow to a sinking ship. For me.
    I cant dismiss the feeling that there is and have been a long time plan about these changes, a feeling that make me think some people havent been honest with me.
    Obviuosly it doesnt have to be the game's fault and it is more than probably impossible to know though I believe if fc have kept themselves to improving and not changing I would probably like it still. But its hard to be sure about such things. Its sad.
    I am already dowloading games that I will try out and though I know I will never find another ao, maybe there is a game somewhere that will give me those laughs and nice moments like I had in ao.
    Best of luck to you all, Im sad to say I think you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavritanic View Post
    DDO-store (just nice).
    Bull****.

DDO store sold weapons and armour and would cap your levels until you bought a special token from them (or got lucky to find one from a boss) as well as blocked access to 90% of the zones until you paid for them. Granted it didn't sell levels which I don't agree with unless under strict regulations but the DDO store is far from "just nice".

@ general comments opposed to selling of VP: (I've not had the time to read the whole thread)

Bugger off whiners. VP is not a PvP reward it is a reward obtainable via PvP; you do not hold claim to it and for to long has Funcom sat on their asses and let your incessant crying leave out a fair number of people from being able to enjoy content that they pay for. That it (will) now comes at an extra is less then ideal but acceptable.

I do not feel sorry for you, nor do I care about what river of tears you can (/have) poured out in this thread about how Funcom should keep VP exclusive to PvPers. Many of you don't even use it, I've heard some even claim they have over a million VP, which seems to me then that the only reason you want VP to remain as is is so that PvMers still come to BS to be your cannon fodder and not because you don't want them having Ofab based on some claim that it's "PvP armour".

Be your own cannon fodder for once. Maybe then you'll realize why lots of people dislike PvP.

@ selling levels:

Funcom, I advise against it unless it's limited to lower levels and require a 220 on the account. As I saw when skimming the thread: games are meant to be played, you destroy the very nature of the game when you remove the need to play it. I know there's plenty of people who only care about 220 and it's plain to see that you agree with that sentiment on many occasions as we've seen content added to that range while others lay stagnant and boring, and probably the cause of quite a few failed new toons and newcomers. Who wants to level up in such a boring and annoying grindfest of a game? If you're an alt they'd just go play their main, a newbie would more then likely quit.

Selling levels to get past these gaps isn't the solution, adding fun, repeatable, content there in quantities so that it doesn't become a grind is. Nobody wants to do hecklers forever, daily missions help a lot but what do people do for the rest of the time they're on that day? Go back to the routine and still hate leveling a new toon.

If you don't care about super fast leveling, as is evidenced by proposing the selling of levels, why even put lockouts on dailies? Let people do as many of them as they want in a day; at least then they work for their +50 levels in a day rather then just write a cheque.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dummy View Post
    Well, its been some nice years with a game I liked a lot. I believe my relationship with fc is mostly over, but who knows. I've tried games where you can/must buy every little thing and I dont like it, but maybe ao will prove otherwise. Perhaps..
    And no, this isnt a rage/emo quitwhine. Ao isnt the game I bought and started to play. It was my first mmo and I liked it before I was finished talkin to that beautiful nurse on the crashed ship. I never reached the island on my first char because my settings was wrong, I could see only 1 meter
    But the game has changed a lot in my time, I cant imagine how its changed for them real vets, but for me it have gone slightly downwards, and those changes announced now does look like the final blow to a sinking ship. For me.
    I cant dismiss the feeling that there is and have been a long time plan about these changes, a feeling that make me think some people havent been honest with me.
    Obviuosly it doesnt have to be the game's fault and it is more than probably impossible to know though I believe if fc have kept themselves to improving and not changing I would probably like it still. But its hard to be sure about such things. Its sad.
    I am already dowloading games that I will try out and though I know I will never find another ao, maybe there is a game somewhere that will give me those laughs and nice moments like I had in ao.
    Best of luck to you all, Im sad to say I think you need it.
    I'm not sure you know what a rage/emo quitwhine is, cos you just nailed it

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast