Thread: Friday with Means - November 12th, 2010 - Changes large and small

Over 9000 views in less than a day, the majority of posts filled with horror at the proposed changes. Let's see how FC reacts to that 'eh....
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Over 9000 views, but only 300 posts, I'd bet a lot of those views are from people who have no issue with the changes and did not post. As usual the whiners are out in full force, and are of course seen as a majority 'voice' since people who generally agree with what the plans are don't have a real need to post.

At least I can hope...
    Last edited by Autohead; Nov 13th, 2010 at 05:40:17.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

This is buried so deep in this thread I do not know how many people will read it.

I like the option of starting at level 50, 100, 150 and 199. But Limit it to 1 @ each level or something maybe. Also We do not know how much it will cost, so it may not happen as much as we like.

Also Paying for Victory Points and making OFAB YesDrop could lead to an indirect way to legally buying credits in the game. I can not see both happening and keeping the game's somewhat broken economy intact. One or the other.

Paying for tokens. Good idea I suppose, but you will be taking away a source of ingame income from some people.
    "Yeah when I walk as a shadow through the valley of death I will be feared as evil!"

Quote Originally Posted by blackmesa View Post
    Here's the biggest problem of it all IMHO:

Funcom created the grind and can make it easier or harder if they want. Instead, they are selling it.
    Bingo. I couldn't put my finger precisely on why I was so concerned earlier but that's pretty much it.

The solution to long-standing player concerns shouldn't be selling (or trying to sell) each player a fix; once that happens there is no incentive to resolve the underlying concerns. In fact, it becomes rational for FC to provide a cash-based solution instead of a universal in-game one. I can't see that being a good long-term plan for the players or FC. Certainly not one likely to sustain the type of veteran community AO has had for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    Over 9000 views, but only 300 posts, I'd bet a lot of those views are from people who have no issue with the changes and did not post. As usual the whiners are out in full force, and are of course seen as a majority 'voice' since people who generally agree with what the plans are don't have a real need to post.

At least I can hope...
    if you not logged and read topic with many pages - each open page count as 1 more view. So, real amount of peoples who read topic less then you see.
    So, real peoples who read this topic close to 400-600
    Last edited by Mavritanic; Nov 13th, 2010 at 06:16:45.
    The Clan Messiah statement
    You hit Nirvelle with nanobots for 7110365 points of radiation damage.
    Alternity: I never initiated a serious dialog

"... who are you, then?"
    "I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good" (c) Goethe

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\| ||\____
    |.............Vodka-Vodka..........| ||','''|'''''''\____,
    |_______..... _________________| ||__|'__|_____||<
    '''''(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''**|(@)(@)******| (@)*

Quote Originally Posted by Caighil3 View Post
    Paying for tokens. Good idea I suppose, but you will be taking away a source of ingame income from some people.
    (This post is directed at people in general)

Imo paying for Tokens is in the same league as paying for VP.

Yet there seems to be a lot more outcry about VP being buyable then tokens. Wonder why that is.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

People already buy tokens, they're called token gun bags (full backpacks full of full DCSD's).

*Overuse of the word 'full' is intended.
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Yes but that's for credits, not money.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

People already buy tokens, they're called token gun bags (full backpacks full of full DCSD's).
    ingame creds, not real money - this is diffirent

"... who are you, then?"
    "I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good" (c) Goethe

Really We're buying levels for money now?? Yea, that'll fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavritanic View Post
    ingame creds, not real money - this is diffirent
    Not to people that buy credits, and isn't that what most of you are saying buying VP will technically be? Make up your minds.

Hmm,

Consider this. These items are something that billing and the accountants got involved in reviewing and pricing of. This list of items most likely has been seen and discussed beyond the level of Means (Game Director) and I am sure he fought for and against some of them but in the end the list we are presented with is most likely one that FC sees as revenue generating. FC really does not care if 300 people leave and take there 14.95 a month with them if 1000 people spend that much monthly in the item shop.

I will even go as far as saying based on FC's quarterly report that AO has become the test bed for new and controversial additions. If AO survives it then on to AoC and TSW it will go. I mean they even mentioned this time that the in game browsing/item shops what being testing in AO. The only mention of AO in the last three quarters and it is about testing this stuff.

In the end once in motion Means and team will have a hard time pulling anything that the bean counters see as positive cash flow. At some point they will have a population that does not mind it but in fact loves it and they will spend cash in it and fatten FC up.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Oh, by the way?

Pre-packaged 'buff' items which can be used for twinking purpopses. These are already available in today's Testlive patch, but will not be going into the shop until we have additional code support for their use requirements. These buffs are designed to be used for twinking purposes only and will consist only of buff nanos you could already receive in-game from other characters (IE: targeted-cast nanos from professions)."
    If this includes Wrangles, and if it makes it into the game as such, I'm deleting Ryuahn and resigning my post as Trader professional. This is absolute **** treatment of the profession, allowing other players to purchase our nanos and our tools, the same nanos and tools that made us Traders. And with all Engineers being guaranteed tradeskillers, why even have us anymore?
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

I like where FC is heading in part of all the items you will be able to buy off the shop.

Heck if it means more money for them, they can get more people working on all the crying that is going on.

As far as the Soldier/Engi Doc's go its good to have 'em means 2 more down and closer to seeing the big picture with all profs
    Oh Yeah!

Not to people that buy credits, and isn't that what most of you are saying buying VP will technically be? Make up your minds.
    So would buying newly YesDrop Ofab then because you can buy credits then Ofab. So why is it that only buyable VP is getting massive flak?
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by julwithnumbers View Post
    AO is a great social experiment indeed, I had no idea some people (not the majority I guess) can be so vocal about concepts they are unable to grasp.

*checks the sky* Not falling, move along.
    It seems more likely that you don't understand the implications of the proposed changes

Think long and hard about not just the immediate effects, but the repercussions as well.

Everything should be considered in the long-term, not the short-term.

Also, Means? Would it be possible to add the uncontroversial nano changes into the game now, that is, the increases in duration of some nanos such as RRFE which no one really has issue with? It would be a great example of progress and I don't think increasing the durations of some nanos that currently exist would require much work.

The increase of durations is the thing I look forward to most in all the proposed nano changes, because of its comparative convenience.

so, if use your logic - next logical FC step is selling creds.

P.S. EVE online PLEX-system sounds like credit selling w/o credit selling. AO not have time codes, but this just can be purchased in game store as item.
    Last edited by Mavritanic; Nov 13th, 2010 at 09:03:52.

"... who are you, then?"

lol, too many people already doing the /rage quit dance before anything actually hits live. Test server, go test, go check it out. See what happens before all the empty threats, assumptions or whatever else people are trying to throw at Means and FC in an attempt to keep themselves stationary while the rest of the MMO world moves on.

This is turning from a discussion, into a circus, and all the clowns are crying or making sad faces.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

/quit
    Gakfearfreak 220 Adven "Main" (EndGame)
    Gakalicious 220 Shade(Uber Dd)
    Gakfixinator 212 Fixer (Bs Twink!)
    Gakmajor 174 Soldier (Bs Twink!)
    Fearfreak 175 Martial Artist (Needs work)
    Constantine 150 NT (Uber Nuker)
    Ironmaiden 60 Enforcer (Uber Twink)

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast