Thread: Friday with Means - November 12th, 2010 - Changes large and small

Looks like a grab for cash imo.. Wringing the game dry before it dies :/

VP/PvP issue could easily have been solved with extra vp's for AI mishes.. Same goes for the veteran levels with vet points.. OB packs lol, as someone else already said, guess I can drop my 2nd subscription now.. Selling Items too, wtf!

Are some players so loaded in rl they can just keep spending on toon after toon.. Christ! we pay a bloody subscription don't we.. Vets got basically jack all for their long service.. Vet points are worth nothing ig, but more rl cash gets you the world :/

Poor choice of game changes imo.

Heh looks like AO is going to be the first game to charge money BOTH for subscriptions AND ingame stuff >.<
    Techno "Calamite" Witch -- 220/22 soli crat
    Hbar -- 220/28 nano NT
    Electropanic -- 170/17 opi NT
    Insanenomore - 174/17 soli engi
    Darksmile -- 220/21 nano enf
    Drifting -- 150/8 nano MP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    got more, but don't remember their names

Engineer dont need nanoskill, hmm...

real credit for 199 char?dont need that. I have the tools for lvling to 200 in RK, WTS froob 199 Character. 15billion, pst
    Last edited by Ceenah2; Nov 13th, 2010 at 15:11:23.
    Ceenah 220/30/66 PvM NT @ Newcomers Alliance
    Eeenah 199/0 Froob NT @ Newcomers Alliance

Thumbs down

Less time to play doesn't make it right to buy 199 toons. I don't have much time to play with a family around but the new toons I make gets where I want them eventually. And that's the main fundament in every game to make progress. Some things are fun and some are boring in every game but the satisfaction after your done is one of the reasons for even playing games.

You will get a lot of ppl lft for inf mish but what about the 80% of the game beneath inferno?
    People that don't want to pay for toons will be forced to do it cause there won't be any teaming going on in ely, ado etc etc

Why not try to implement changes that gives new players (more money) rather then try to get already paying customers to pay more.

Back a while ago after a long break, happy i'm just paying by the month now.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    lol, too many people already doing the /rage quit dance before anything actually hits live.
    It's not /rage quit.

Fundamentally, Means is telling us that we can now pay NOT to play the game...but I can already do that for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Siyra View Post
    So would buying newly YesDrop Ofab then because you can buy credits then Ofab. So why is it that only buyable VP is getting massive flak?
    It's selling power, like selling BoC and ACDC. You can't buy credits either, kinda...sort of.

Some items in pande and LE shop should be a little hard to get and then then nonspecial ofab armor + weapon yesdrop hm? I am so bored after my hundreds of panderaids, but...

What are we gonna do in this game if we can suddenly skip all pvm/pvp? Chat?

Quote Originally Posted by coopio View Post
    Why not try to implement changes that gives new players (more money) rather then try to get already paying customers to pay more.
    New engine and some advertising would fix AO's financial problems imo. But that requires money investment.

Making the game completely free with all expansions would be another way to draw new players. And to make the game F2P they'd have to do THAT first, and introduce the shop AFTER.

FC doesn't seem interested in attracting new players at all, and that only leads me to one conclusion. This is very sad
    Techno "Calamite" Witch -- 220/22 soli crat
    Hbar -- 220/28 nano NT
    Electropanic -- 170/17 opi NT
    Insanenomore - 174/17 soli engi
    Darksmile -- 220/21 nano enf
    Drifting -- 150/8 nano MP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    got more, but don't remember their names

This @#$% is giving me a headache, why do I keep reading these replies!? I CAN'T STOP QEOUFHRIWUYGRWRKM 3425IOJ2TI53UJIOGETG5UEJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marshalart View Post
    Ummm, really? Lesser advanced players? Tell that to crats with their +100 aad back and +50 aad helm, wont see an endgame crat not wearing those.
    Or shades with +75 piercing gloves.
    Keepers with like 3/4 of the pieces giving massive 2he buffs.
    Docs with nice nano init boosts in sleeves.
    MAs with 75 Evade in pants.
    (all assuming ql 300 penulti etc etc)
    and so on...
    Perhaps OFAB as a whole is not a "supreme" armor, but for sure a lot of professions have at least one piece that is by far the best option in game. There are definitely parts that make it not a 'lesser advanced' players armor.
    Yes, it was ment for that. They added a lot of greater additions to it later on tho. Specials.

If you practically sell the armors by offering VP for PP where you gonna stop?

Why should I or other pvp-geeks have to grind pande over and over and over again and others skip BS?

With VP I think it's going too far cause they sell power and takes away players/splits.

Sorry to repeat myself; But it's imo better to just make the basic armor/weapons yesdrop. The effect of decreasing the grind for players are absolutely met. Then they just have a few items they have to go into the battlestations to get.

Voila'

/PS
    It's also ways to make pvp a liiitle more comfortabale for newbies.

You need rootgrafts, blind rings, free-movements etc and maybe making it easier to come by could help? Lets say making them drop a little bit more around/make rk-missions more relevant etc.

I would love BS-restrictions removed from meds in LE-shop. That gives people choice of means to obtain should they dislike pvm or pvp.

As for now we can pay to skip having to play their content altogether, just lol
    Last edited by Lletah; Nov 13th, 2010 at 16:00:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    Over 9000 views, but only 300 posts, I'd bet a lot of those views are from people who have no issue with the changes and did not post. As usual the whiners are out in full force, and are of course seen as a majority 'voice' since people who generally agree with what the plans are don't have a real need to post.

At least I can hope...
    Wrong, I don't post much on forums but I read them on a regular basis. Does that mean I am happy with the changes?

Means said there will be no powerfull items that you can buy with dollars:

Clan Merits - Double Sun:
    User Modify Max health 950
    User Modify Run speed 210
    User Modify Nano programming 210
    User Modify Computer literacy 210
    User Modify Concealment 140
    User Modify Max nano 950
    User Modify Offense modifier 45
    User Modify Defense modifier 60
    User Modify Projectile damage modifier 20
    User Modify Melee damage modifier 20
    User Modify Energy damage modifier 20
    User Modify Chemical damage modifier 20
    User Modify Radiation damage modifier 20
    User Modify Cold damage modifier 20
    User Modify Fire damage modifier 20
    User Modify Poison damage modifier 20
    User Modify Experience modifier 7

Looks powerful enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by coopio View Post
    Less time to play doesn't make it right to buy 199 toons. I don't have much time to play with a family around but the new toons I make gets where I want them eventually. And that's the main fundament in every game to make progress. Some things are fun and some are boring in every game but the satisfaction after your done is one of the reasons for even playing games.
    Couldn't have said it better

Quote Originally Posted by Superflare View Post
    who can afford to spend houndreds of hours leveling the toon when having a family and a full time job? In my opinion getting all the stuff for your toon is more than enough grind.
    Just decrease the grinds and shorten the gap between casual players and dedicated ones.

The LE stuff was intended exactly for doing that!
    Flaw: They made it hard to get and it's currently a grind aswell to get 5-6 armorsets (1 set of QL 25, 1 set of ql 50, 1 set of ql 150 etc) of fully upgraded casualgamer-armor/weapon which it is supposed to be...see a design flaw that should be resolved instead of selling power? ^_^

Can add that sometimes it outperforms AI-armor/other armor/items as a designflaw...

It should be performance-gaps between, lets say totw-twinks and people with a ofab-stuff on their charracters.

But you do ok as soldier for example without AI-armor, QL 300 symbs and Xan rifle. Ofab shortens gaps which makes the game enjoyable for people with less time to play...but lets make non-special LE gear yesdrop/super easy to get instead of selling the whole shop-content for PP?

Win/Win between pvp'ers, pvm'ers aswell as casual players and active players. =)

Imo, instead of buying levels + VP we can make xp/axp/research even faster by giving small VP-rewards from a quest for example and then ultra-decrease cost on some already upgraded (maybe) ofab armor/weapons... and throw more tokens around overall in encounters/quests!

If you have lost a level 50 BS, the vp-amount u get should enable you to buy something...a token or a stim.

Then potent XP-stims can be for those who already have 220's from before.

As it is now it's ridiculous...

Selling power, making encounters void for people and making it antisocial by selling profession-buffs. I think not imo...

Edit:
    Convenience-items I would like for those who already have a 220 charracter is garden/sanc-keys (or if you have done the quests on a charracter) and some way of shortening down some quests like AI3, Ado/Scheoul-quests and similar...
    Last edited by Lletah; Nov 13th, 2010 at 17:02:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggeh View Post
    What?
    What

I haven't read everyone else's comments, so I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but I really don't like the idea of being able to BUY tokens. I think too many of us earned our tokens the hard way and being able to suddenly buy tokens removes a rite of passage in the game.

As a compromise, I would be willing to allow players who already have a 220 level character to buy tokens for their alts. Since you are limiting level packs to people with 220 characters then it shouldn't be difficult to also limit token buying to people with 220 characters.
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Superflare View Post
    What
    You talk about not having time to play and yet you have 4 220's, one of which is 30/70. Doesn't make much sense...
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ... I'm certain there will be some items some might find objectionable...but I am sure we can all agree the free to play market has moved on without us quite some time ago and I feel we can no longer afford to not offer these services...
    This is troubling me now.. I went back and re-read the initial posts.. When did AO's primary market change from being the best Sci-fi Subscription based MMO to a Free to Play MMO?

As far as I know, (I've only been here since early 2005), but didn't the game start out as totally subscription? Didn't they add froob's in later as a *special* way of promoting the AO experience in order to get more subscriptions?

Sorry Means and FC.. But if you guys want to sell a 'Free to play' MMO.. Go make a new one and leave our subscription model alone! I don't think I'm alone with these sentiments either.. After paying the subscription for 6 years I actually feel quite put out that you feel the need to re-badge Anarchy Online as a Free to Play and add a micro-payments system on top of our regular subscriptions!

Quote Originally Posted by lyledesol View Post
    This is troubling me now.. I went back and re-read the initial posts.. When did AO's primary market change from being the best Sci-fi Subscription based MMO to a Free to Play MMO?

As far as I know, (I've only been here since early 2005), but didn't the game start out as totally subscription? Didn't they add froob's in later as a *special* way of promoting the AO experience in order to get more subscriptions?

Sorry Means and FC.. But if you guys want to sell a 'Free to play' MMO.. Go make a new one and leave our subscription model alone! I don't think I'm alone with these sentiments either.. After paying the subscription for 6 years I actually feel quite put out that you feel the need to re-badge Anarchy Online as a Free to Play and add a micro-payments system on top of our regular subscriptions!
    ^This
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

I believe what Means is saying there is the in-game Advertisement revenue in game for Froobs isn't quite cutting it anymore, and they need additional sources of income. If AO had a larger subscription population, this wouldnt be an issue, but with the low ammount of paying players currently things aren't as good as it was say some years ago. Thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubika-1 View Post
    I believe what Means is saying there is the in-game Advertisement revenue in game for Froobs isn't quite cutting it anymore, and they need additional sources of income. If AO had a larger subscription population, this wouldnt be an issue, but with the low ammount of paying players currently things aren't as good as it was say some years ago. Thats all.
    I have to answer that with another Means quote from the Shop thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Saying we can't afford to ignore a possible revenue source is not the same thing as saying we are on a "tight balance". The game is easily financially viable at the moment..but I would like to put it in the position of being viable for ten MORE years. This obviously means considering and planning our future and business models accordingly. The world is changing and we need to as well. It is nice to be in the position of making these choices on our terms and not having them made for us.

We ALL want the same things for AO.
    Planning for AO's future is one thing.. Introducing micro-payments now is not planning, it's doing, and not doing well in the eyes of a large proportion of it's paying customers.. Imho that is..

" The game is easily financially viable at the moment..but I would like to put it in the position of being viable for ten MORE years. "

Is going micro-payment the best way for the game, or the best way for FC?
    Last edited by lyledesol; Nov 13th, 2010 at 17:26:14.

As far as the AO Store goes. I have no problems myself with what is being offered. Personally I don't think I will ever buy a boosted toon, or vp. As they are dead easy to get /achieve already with as fast as you can level a toon, and earn vp.

I'll definately support AO in the item shop with some social swag for my toons. Hopefully this addition will help keep AO going for another good while, until they make AO 2

Gogo Dev team!!

Just don't go throwing AC/DC's or BoC's in the shop an all is good

I have to answer that with another Means quote from the Shop thread...
    Ya well, I can attest that too this...

Popular games now have millions to toss around on expansions an whatnot. I think the current Dev team is doing a good job with what they have to work with, which I know is no where near what these "other" games have budget wise.

Someday I wouldnt mind seeing a big expansion down the road. More high level raid zones developed (along the lines/size of Pande in both encounters/phatz). I enjoy raiding more than any other activity in game, thats just me tho... More GM's to run events in game. More artists so we can have new pet/monster models. More folks to handle petitions, ect... Alot of things I think get taken for granted.

I can only imagine what AO could achieve if they could afford to have twice the ammount of staff to work on things for the game. Not to mention a nice hefty raise for all the hard work they put in, an all the whines from us on the forums! heh
    Last edited by Rubika-1; Nov 13th, 2010 at 17:36:37.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast