Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - November 12th, 2010 - Changes large and small

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    I believe these are already available and in game for those professions, the shop bought ones look like they're just a more convenient way of getting access to them.

Honestly from what you've said you make as much sense comparing Apples to RPG's.
    Ah no, I mean others apparently can use them. That's where the comment after that list came in.

Disclaimer: The following is my personal opinion, and does not represent the views of AO Universe or it's Staff.

Now, let's get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Tokens:

Token packs will be available from the shop in different amounts. This is an item that has been long requested by the community as it represents a very significant time investment to most players. The end-game boards themselves will not be available and will still need to be obtained in the normal fashion.
    Alright, before dailies this may have been unbalanced, but at the rate in which anyone can do dailies... my 220 enfo has 5.2k tokens, he was powerleveled and most of those tokens are from dailies, he is still not finished with research so I guess I will get close to 6k tokens when he is done. Highest tokenboard: 2.5k, enough said.

Tokens:Victory Points:

A great many people enjoy PvP, while at the same time a great many people do not. Points will be available in the shop for those who would rather avoid the experience altogether. At the same time Basic OFAB armor pieces (not upgraded) will become Yes-Drop so can be sold by players with large surplus amounts of VP.
    People who don't really enjoy PvP (me among them) will be glad to see this option. However I could have run LE missions to get my vp. I still went to bs 'cause it was faster to get and even tho dedicated PvP'ers would destroy me a bit. Since I don't care for PvP titles, it only bothered me once in a while. PvP Daily made getting vp easy, I have 50k vp on my 220 enfo, and all I did was dailies and I got all I need already, the vp is just sitting there.

The only reason I could see PvP'er dislike this option... well, less easy non-PvP'er targets and more skilled PvP'ers to actually have to deal with, more work for an epeen title, yeah, tragic. Borealis is full of hardcore PvP'ers, want a title, go get it.

PvP'ers will make a profit with the massive amounts of vp they got selling ofab.

XP Stims:

Experience Constructs will be available in the shop for those who want to progress quicker and enjoy the game at their own pace. This is another item that has been long requested by the community. The best benefit available from the store will top out at 20% for 4 hours. These will not stack with previously available Anniversary buffs.
    When the anniversary stims were around (and YESDROP) peeps made millions, some even billions farming them. Without this an experienced player can hit 220 in a week or less, so at 20% all the time, what does that save? a day? It's far from unbalancing or unfair.

This is most likely an option for a casual player who doesn't have as much time to play AO than his friends/orgmates but wants to try and keep up with them a bit. It gives a bit more xp, doesn't make you uber, won't help you in raids because levels without gear = gimp.

Reset Points:

This is the overwhelming number one request we have had from the community for years and as such is available in the store. (These are also available for VP, Credits and Loot in other areas of the game and as such their presence in the store is a convenience option.)
    #1 Reason why people reroll (and sometimes new players quit AO over), wrong choices in IP distribution. Yes, plenty of options ingame as-is to fix this if you got the time to do it. If you on the other hand rather spend that time doing something else, this is a fair alternative.

Past Social Items and Veteran Items:

Limited time social items from the past will be available in the store as "replica" items. Players who want the look of, for example, the Hockey Mask but were not present at the time of their release will be able to obtain the appearance of these items without actually owning the "real" status icons of the past. Most of these items were available free to veterans present at the time of their release...future players who want these will have to invest points to get them.
    Social, nobody should have an issue with this.

Items not available NOW...but planned for in the future:

Time Limited Access (passes) to expansion content for free players.

Level packs (Boost to 50, Boost to 100, Boost to 150, Boost to 199). These items will only be available to accounts that already have a 220 Character as an option for those who want to play another profession at end game but do not have the time or inclination to replay the lower level end of the game another time.

Pre-packaged 'buff' items which can be used for twinking purpopses. These are already available in today's Testlive patch, but will not be going into the shop until we have additional code support for their use requirements. These buffs are designed to be used for twinking purposes only and will consist only of buff nanos you could already receive in-game from other characters (IE: targeted-cast nanos from professions).
    Froobs getting a taste for expansions? good marketing. Same as test driving a car before you make a purchase. Well done.

Level packs,already available on a few MMO's. If you are a 220 and didn't get powerleveled, then you should have enough game experience to handle a 199 toon. It's on the player to learn the profession, not FC. Could this make a few more 220 noobs? possible, but I had 3 220's already when I started my enfo, would have loved to save 199 lvls of grind. Still, 199 without any gear, far... far.. far from uber. At best a vet saves a few days of grinding, at worst... a noob 220 has a 199 toon which is naked, without gear and locked out of some quest because he is too high level, heh.

The "Old" Phasefront Vendors and the Points already in-game

The "Old" vendors currently in-game will remain in-game and will not be removed. You will still be able to buy previously released vehicles etc from the old shop on any subsequent characters you create with the points you have already transferred in. The points that will be used in the "new" store will come directly from your Account and will not need to be transferred into Anarchy Online to purchase items. This is in part due to us starting to share a new "Funcom Points" currency with the rest of the Funcom games and the intention is for or customers to be able to use their points in any current and future title we have. In getting into the new currency sometime during the next week all the points in your account will be multiplied by 1.2 to get in sync with the new "value" of the points...so don't be alarmed/surprised to see more points in your account.
    Good business, means (no pun intended) more cash for FC and hopefully to continue investment in AO (Dev Team) for the coming years.

The Browser

As I mentioned in the previous "Store" thread the new Store is essentially an in-game browser. Currently it will be locked to only the store pages until we can take care of some stability and security concerns we have but we are looking forward to the many different uses we can put this technology to. I can't wait to offer a poll to the users currently in-game...or to have the customer service functions taking place in this browser...or even to have a giant Alien advisory board in major cities to warn of ongoing events. It is going to be great...but security and stabilizing the browser has to be first.
    Good stuff, would <3 to see a fully functional ingame browser, so I can check official forums, org site, auno, youtube, facebook, etc etc. Yeah, there will always be a chance of some malicious 3rd party site that would try and trick gamers, but those have been around for years. Chain letters anyone?

Use common sense, and we should be ok.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    Ah no, I mean others apparently can use them.
    Ah, thank you for the clarity, that is a different matter, and I'm uncertain whether I like it or not...
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    I hope all you 220 pvp types are looking forward to having a bunch of naked, power leveled 215 neuts mostly afk in BS swapping sides to who ever seems to be winnig at the time to farm vp they can then sell on.
    Ugh, worryingly believable.

so being able to have a matching set of something in social will be nice.
    I made QL3 AI armour for social 2 days ago! Dammit!

Sheffy?
    Different Sheff on different server, name is coincidental ;p
    Sheffsam (200/0 Agent) E - Drsheffsam (200/0 Doc) E - Sheffsammy (200/0 NT) E - Sheffie (200/0 Trader) E - Sheffix (200/0 Fixer) E
    Sheffs (220/30/70 Doc) Crit - Nabcake (220/30/70 NT) Cheap & Effective - Sheff (220/30/67 Agent) Equip Undecided
    RK2 Neutral - Grey Area

Quote Originally Posted by Lusos101 View Post
    So you have a lot of toons. You "worked" hard for them and dont want to "work" anymore? Good for you. There are games where the "work" part doesnt exist. You log on and play. They belong to the generic category of "Games you didnt play yet and may have fun trying out". I suggest you give them a shot. I for my part would never touch a game where I have to work for something. I much rather prefer games where I can just find something fun to do.

And yes, people who just want to sit comfortably on the couch and do the same easy things over and over again without guts to face challenges or novelty are lazy in my book. VERY lazy.
    You do love shifting those goal post dont you lol... So in your initial post you say ppl are "lazy elites". Now you put "work" in parenthesis as if somehow that "work" didnt count. Oh wait now I get it, since it invalidated your initial argument you had to move those goalposts again and denigrate the "work" as well lol. Make up your mind, am I a "lazy arrogant elitist" (you sure know how to win friends and influence people you old charmer) or did I "work" to get my toons?

AO has been fun for me since 2001 thanks mate, been enjoying it tremendously which is why Im still here. Please dont suggest any course of action for me again since you know nothing about me, my life, what I like, and what I do. You did the same thing last time, and Ill repeat what I said last time again... if you have to put RL assumptions about another person you dont even know in a forum post about an online game, you epically fail.

Cya Pal!
    Innervoid 220 / 30 / 70 MA (sadly no longer teh main man cos MA haz no lub)
    Thedarknight 220 / 30 / 70 ADV (name reset FTW)
    Shrektehogre 220/ 30 / 70 KEEP (Prolly the Main, maybe)
    Enemywithin 220 / 30 / 70 AGENT (RAWR)
    Lastsamurai 220 / 30 / 70 SOL (6th 220 FTW!)
    Innerpeace 220 / 30 / 70 CRAT (First Calmer)
    Stargazer 220 / 30 / 70 MA DOC
    Abyssgazer 220 MP (8hr CM lubbin/all around MP gamp)
    Misterscott 220 ENGY / Deaconfroste 220 SHADE / Vforvendetta 220 ENF / Haljordan 220 Fix

ok perhaps we should all quiet down and get back to complaining rather than ripping on each other

Quote Originally Posted by enfsatangirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xatgunner View Post
    You must have at least 1 character of level 220 to use this feature.
    And you haven't seen the price of it yet.
    I don't think there will be too many people that will use this function: paying for real money to level up.
    (now that i read again it actualy makes no sense at all what you are saying, i think you didn't read Means' post correctly)

I'm liking the changes i see here.
    The balance thing is going through great progress too. how many profs left to balance?
    This+Balance+new startup area+engine. AO will be played by many people i tell you

i understand what he was saying but i gess u dident

they are making so that u can power level a character to 199 and put on basic ofab armor and buy tokens vps if u like that fine but i dont .

and what i was saying is that they can just fix so that we can choose evry thing on the characters when we start a new one . then they dont need to do more in the game ever just sit and watch when the game dies
    hmm i started to understand that as well after reading a few comments now..
    I'm not too happy with that...that's even worse than an OST-kite-dsharknoob-sol. At least those have ran to ely kitehill and inf cata..and picked up a weapon.

I think the level buying is a bad idea.. (yes i'm speaking against myself now)
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

not gonna read wh0le thread

ao turning into pay more to win game is bad idea
    lvl buying is lol i remember Means saying not long ago that would never happen lol
    Rapped 220/30/70 Enforcer game over equip retired
    Rapzilla 220/30/70 Adventurer game over equip mr newb?
    Mayhemia 220/30/70 NT game over equip Fixer's best frand
    Rippli 220/25/70 Soldier new equip BS junkie
    Amazinghorse aka Rippped 170/24/42 Agent equip new OP tl5 tool
    Rappjr work in progress
    Rippped 207/30/70 Agent fastest AI30 Ever?

General of Quetzfags // General of The Asylum

Level packs (Boost to 50, Boost to 100, Boost to 150, Boost to 199)
    The way this stands atm this wont be a feasible option for any serious player, atm ppl with finished endgame toons that roll a new future 220 have certain lvls they stop at on their journey to 220.

1st is lvl 60 for totw 2nd is lvl 100 (maybe) for foremans then onto lvl 150 for sec10 then to 199 for sec7 and on to 220.

lvling straight to 199 will make the grind at 199+ even harder and not enjoyable.

I would suggest being able to stop at certain lvls on the speeded up ao journey to take advantage of ao's lvl locked instances.

A slider in the range thats been bought and able carry on to the next choice lvl when you're ready instead of straight to 199 etc.

Also i think 220 could be included in that list but the req. should be to have a 220/70/30 toon already.
    Shamen 220/30/70 soli/solja
    Izgimmerjoo 220/30/70 nm nt
    Roycegracie 200/30/68 opi ma
    keeledjoo 171/23 atrox/advy
    fixsham 150/16 opi/fix
    shamsenf 95/10 atrox
    shamensmp 86/9 opi
    shamography 213 engie tradeskiller
    samydavisjnr 116/10 trader

TSW
    Dragon "Isham" hammer/chaos/shottie on Daemon
    Dragon "Starzy" assault rifle/blade on cerberus

Wow... I am so glad I saw this before I changed to 1 year subscription with 2 accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaloot View Post
    I hope the special edition ofab helmet and rings will be yes-drop so i can buy them with all the VP i have on my endgame chars for my alts.
    It would be a shame if they aren't!
    Gracee e : Blooop e - SPIRIT

Hard to say if i really like this ive never been a big fan of micro transactions

paid levels isnt to bad
    paid tokens are great for me i hate most of everything that gets me tokens
    paid VP thats iffy id rather just have a better PvE way like everyone else :P

i wanna get my 215 neutral army ready xD
    Dochollie 220 Opifex Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconfrost View Post
    You do love shifting those goal post dont you lol... So in your initial post you say ppl are "lazy elites". Now you put "work" in parenthesis as if somehow that "work" didnt count. Oh wait now I get it, since it invalidated your initial argument you had to move those goalposts again and denigrate the "work" as well lol. Make up your mind, am I a "lazy arrogant elitist" (you sure know how to win friends and influence people you old charmer) or did I "work" to get my toons?

AO has been fun for me since 2001 thanks mate, been enjoying it tremendously which is why Im still here. Please dont suggest any course of action for me again since you know nothing about me, my life, what I like, and what I do. You did the same thing last time, and Ill repeat what I said last time again... if you have to put RL assumptions about another person you dont even know in a forum post about an online game, you epically fail.

Cya Pal!
    Hu? Wut? I mean, really, WOOT? You can read right? And you can understand what you read? Yes? Because it seems you dont. What goal posts? Are you trying to use the "Chewbacca Defense"?

I say it for the last time. This game, if it wants to survive, should not cather to a few veterans who log on to farm a few bots or a have a laff in the BSs. That will not bring new players into the game, quite the opposite.

PS- You sure lol a lot. And "last time", like now, I made no assuptions about other peoples lives. Maybe "metaphoric couches" are to much for you? Or you still are butthurt because I pointed to you that your many accounts are irrelevant to the validity of your arguments?

DISCLAIMER: My use of the words "lazy veterans" is not intended to offend people who like to play the game and have done so for a long time. It is meant only for those who consider that even powerleveling toons is already to much of a bore.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Thumbs down

Can only buy a 199 toon? Bah, it's so damn hard to level these days, make it 220 pleax! Good thing we dont have to worry ab tokens at least, Visa ftw. But but... how am I supposed to compete with just Ofab, and its way more usefull for some profs than others... let us buy AI armors too! Oh and add Touch of Marius to that twinkbag, so we dont have to bother thinking how to get them on.

Oh but wait. Need ai tech 3 for that. So plx add a way to buy AI levels too - people could feel cheated otherwise! And symbs ofc, cant go without those. Altho maybe some of the buyers wouldnt even notice the empty slots on that one tab...

- - -

On a serious note... just lol. Read about the xp stims last week, already felt pretty annoyed about those but wouldnt have been that game ruining for me, would still have people to level with, even if some would do it a bit faster. These proposed buyable levels, VPs (wtf?) etc just feel like April 1st but sadly seem real... think twice please. Do you really want people to skip much of the content, and at same time make leveling (at lower levels) even harder for new players than it already is? And most of all, make it more LONELY? Yes you can do dailys if no luck with teams, but this is an mmo after all. Giiive $ or level alone isn't really the best way to advertise imho

Two thumbs down for most of the suggested items available. Xp stims, social items and maybe tokens (long time vets can already use their vet points for those) would be tolerable for me at least. Time-limited access for froobs is great as well, good way to give a feeling what paying gets you. "buff items" sound pretty ok too for twinking purposes. But buyable levels, buyable VP... they ruin the whole point of this game. It's like you are allowing people to pay to not have to play - sure it's a good business i guess (lol) but you have to understand the effects on normal gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    Went to testlive, the items aren't in the items shop (still just an image of a trox) but here's some of the new items in the DB.

"Replica" OFAB, AI, Beast, etc... armour for social.

Selling prof tools for real money with no listed prof locks:
    Crat tool:
    Portable Bank Terminal
    Portable Bank Terminal - Seven Days
    Trader tool:
    Portable GMS Terminal
    Portable GMS Terminal - Seven Days
    Grid nanos:
    Instant Grid Conversion Beacon

Ok, now a ways back Means expressed concern about taking away from the toolset of some profs by putting an exit at the end of an empty mission area. But I guess selling that tool and others that anyone can use for real money is perfectly fine then?
    I have to say, not a fan of this. Maybe it's a knee jerk reaction but it looks like watering down profession specific toolsets to me.

Also, I don't appreciate that the alternative to PVP for gaining VP is handing over more cash to FC. People have wanted a viable method in PVM for years - this feels a bit like those serious PVMers are being mined for cash instead. However, I know plenty of people who can barely stomach the BS missions and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate this option being taken from them. So it's probably better than nothing but I don't think that makes it good.

I don't care one way or the other on the leveling for cash. *shrug* Idiots will determinedly not learn their prof regardless of how they gain levels. And I *like* TL 3-5 so I'm looking at it going "why would you want that?" Might be nice for setting up twinks though - you don't have to spend any ip until you're at your final level and gearing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconfrost View Post
    lol... so let me get this straight, if PVP'ers with hundreds of thousands of VP (that NONPVPERS dont have and have no reasonable expectation of EVER attaining) buy OFAB armor and sell/give it to alts thats ok...

But buying VP and then having the temerity to spend that VP on items for a 199 pre-lvled toon is game destroying?

Try again...
    Hi, welcome to the grown-up world. Let's put that in a different context.

lol... so let me get this straight, if Bill Gates with hundreds of thousands of millions (that NONBILLGATERS dont have and have no reasonable expectation of EVER attaining) buy expensive s**t and sell/give it to friends thats ok...

But robbing a bank and then having the temerity to spend that stolen money on items for a 199 pre-lvled toon is game destroying?

This is not Hello Kitty Online. This is not a fair game. Regardless of your repeated assertations about what you get up to, the game itself is PVP oriented. Everything in PVM is designed to feed into PVP. If you don't play half the game, and therfore put in half the work, but still charge 10 dollars to your Visa and then get what the rest of us worked for... yes, we will be slightly miffed.
    Last edited by Means; Nov 12th, 2010 at 19:56:06. Reason: removed abuse
    Hellcom "Stillian" Receptionist | Eternalist | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution
    Agent "Lilmiz007" Isbeak | Finalizer | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution
    Style "Heldale" Attack | General | Squad Commander of Primal Evolution

|| Primal Evolution ||

guys! let's not rip on each other! you really want the mods to come in here and whoop everyone?

Yes
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Funcom employee

I'm gettin' close to it, so I suggest the personal infighting and bickering come to a screeching halt. ;P
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

/wtb powerlevel to 220 so I can buy toons in my preferred level range pst

Interesting changes as well as the reactions. I will just say that rewards should be something you earn rather than pay for. If tokens really drop like rain now ( have never done a daily...) then I guess it doesn't matter but still, these were rewards from your side and purchasing in lieu of earning them just feels wrong.

Not an active subscriber so feel free to ignore me but keep in mind, there are a lot of us who *could* be active subscribers. I would probably re-sub just to buy a nice agent buff toon if I had a 220 which I never will because I solo too much and hate OST and leach teams.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast