Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: New Engineer Nano Changes!

Sorry Kintaii.

But you unleash like 5 documents, and ask us to review them.

Then you say not to think of them with the current game mechanics.
    Ofc we look at the docs and we go WTF, because all we know is the current mechanics.

*taking a breath*

What are those new mechanics?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    Why shouldn't an engi go squish when a 2nd mob shows up? I don't think it's unreasonable ... they have two pets, snares, etc... In otherwords, they have other ways to deal with adds. Why does blinds need to get a nerf in PVM? I would like to think it's because it's a pretty OPed nano.
    Because that's not how engis behave today.. just like Enfos, soldiers, advys, crats, docs, MAs, Fixers, and more.
    It's not something that MUST be nerfed as part of the Rebalancing Act.

Why shouldn't an engi go squish when a 2nd mob shows up? I don't think it's unreasonable ... they have two pets, snares, etc... In otherwords, they have other ways to deal with adds. Why does blinds need to get a nerf in PVM? I would like to think it's because it's a pretty OPed nano.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Pet's and snares dealing with adds. Wow.

Pet snare = AoE aura. It happens when it happens, not when "oh look that mob needs to stop moving, let me press this button." Two pets? To do what? One can tank, yes. You hope. The other is strictly for damage and falls over if you look at it strongly enough. Yes yes, pets are getting "reworked". To do what exactly, tho. Without knowing the exact details this is just pure speculation and having learned from history, I will NOT bet optimistically on the part of Funcom getting them right. If you think the blind aura is overpowered you don't understand how it functions.
    Waiting for a cure.

well pets are supposedly becoming much stronger and on par with players, plus improved healing means even the dog shouldn't topple over.

As for the snares I think the point was to send pets to attack use the snare causing the pet to snare the mob next to it.

Not perfect but in most of the cases multiple monsters is a miss-pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenotric View Post
    well pets are supposedly becoming much stronger and on par with players, plus improved healing means even the dog shouldn't topple over.

As for the snares I think the point was to send pets to attack use the snare causing the pet to snare the mob next to it.

Not perfect but in most of the cases multiple monsters is a miss-pull.
    Using snares as add management usually involves you running around like a moron trying to survive and hoping that the adds stay interested enough in your pets to stay close enough to them for them to be snared while frantically trying to keep your pets alive while the ones who are still interested proceed to clobber them. It's not pretty. Since the subject is add management whether or not we're dealing with a bad pull is irrelevant.

As for pets being on par with players, which players are we talking about exactly? Offense has been addressed, saying they should have offense on par with "high AR professions". This is still murky language. Defense hasn't really been addressed, however.

Anyway, it's rather narrow to view the blind aura as simply a tool that's only used in a soloing situation. It's a godsend in a raid when crap hits the fan and also makes for generally smooth sailing under normal conditions. A couple of hits not hitting as hard or possibly not even at all every minute is worth it. In the current form that the developers have postulated, we may as well not have it.
    Waiting for a cure.

well it shouldn't be soo much of a running around randomly any more, set pets on em, when pets are in range hit the button, pets cast the snares on the target, target stays near pets while pets proceed to taunt them every hit.

Each pet will cast it and each will land it (with the checks it has currently)

Basically shifts the tanking role off the engineer (who kept agro via taunt from the blind aura) onto the pets, I dare say the engineer could tank 1 mob so if the dog gets bulked up a bit theres a chance that at least 3 mobs would be doable.

Not many classes can really survive 2 let alone maybe 3.

Not a clue, i aint funcom, but I'd expect they'll both be able to take a beating at least, if they can't then its something to give feedback for.

As for raids, well funcom of clearly stated their wanting to make raids more challenging. The new iteration is more for when your confident in your pets agro gathering (from trimmers etc) and want to bolster its defence by making it reduce the enemys chance to hit it.

That said I'd love to see an adjustment made to the blind proc, namely a taunt added to it as well.

When pets are in range hit the button, pets cast the snares on the target, target stays near pets while pets proceed to taunt them every hit. But the Mobs will continue to slap and hit you even if you are out of range of your pet.
    /fixed
    Happy employee of the Omni Tek corporation.
    I am destruction. I am creation. I am Engineer.
    Free Tradeskill Services on RK1. Includes AI Armor.

AOMover | AwesOme Script
    Open Source Licenses, enjoy your freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Mostadio View Post
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Pet's and snares dealing with adds. Wow.

Pet snare = AoE aura. It happens when it happens, not when "oh look that mob needs to stop moving, let me press this button." Two pets? To do what? One can tank, yes. You hope. The other is strictly for damage and falls over if you look at it strongly enough. Yes yes, pets are getting "reworked". To do what exactly, tho. Without knowing the exact details this is just pure speculation and having learned from history, I will NOT bet optimistically on the part of Funcom getting them right. If you think the blind aura is overpowered you don't understand how it functions.
    That's a nice story but I guess you missed the part where AOE blinds getting nerfed. Welcome to your new reality. Glad you think it's funny that you will have to find non-easymode ways to deal with adds. You might think it's reasonable that an engi should be able to tank multiple adds with an AOE blind, but it's not.

I don't understand how it functions? Why? Because it's so infinitely complex you need years of schooling and meditation in Tibet to reach enlightenment to understand it? Sorry, no, I get it. It's not that hard a concept.
    Last edited by Obtena; Nov 30th, 2010 at 01:54:15.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Because that's not how engis behave today.. just like Enfos, soldiers, advys, crats, docs, MAs, Fixers, and more.
    It's not something that MUST be nerfed as part of the Rebalancing Act.
    I don't think it's relevant to change or not change something because 'it's not how stuff behaves today'. That's the whole point of the re-balancing. If AOE blinds are getting nerfed, it's because the present AO dev team doesn't think that's how that tool or engis should behave.

It's beyond me why people think it's reasonable that AOE blinds should enable them to tank adds as an engi. An engi, by concept, should never tank anything. Just look at the class, it's crystal clear. It's the whole reason they have pets with agg trimmers, snares, pet damage increase buffs and pet heals. It's not a stretch to conclude that pets should be your personal enfos that you control.
    Last edited by Obtena; Nov 30th, 2010 at 02:04:07.

Engie's need the blind aura to do pvm because thinking of practical ways to do pvm takes effort. 10 adds in a cluster? Rush that sucker, because thats how professions that start with "En" and end with "er" are played.

That's a nice story but I guess you missed the part where AOE blinds getting nerfed. Welcome to your new reality. Glad you think it's funny that you will have to find non-easymode ways to deal with adds. You might think it's reasonable that an engi should be able to tank multiple adds with an AOE blind, but it's not.

I don't understand how it functions? Why? Because it's so infinitely complex you need years of schooling and meditation in Tibet to reach enlightenment to understand it? Sorry, no, I get it. It's not that hard a concept.
    This right here proves that you really have no idea what you're talking about. Engineers don't pop blinds and suddenly have mobs serving us coffee and giving us foot massages. It is not easy mode. We have the lowest capping evades of any profession in the game and our only defense is mediocre HP and a bio cocoon that vaporizes in seconds. I feel really bad that I have to spell this out to you. We don't throw up blinds and tank "many mobs". Since you can read a database you'd see that it breaks on damage. This includes reflects and damage shields which are on us 100% of the time. Even in a full set of CSS an engineer will not break 1700 evades. An average engineer has about 800 AAD. Blinds remove 1200 AAO until whatever is blinded hits us, our pets, or we, or our pets, hit it. If you think this is OP, you really need a wake up call. Again, DVP doesn't make things easy. If anything, it makes what is easy for other professions barely possible for us.
    Waiting for a cure.

Right, so my question is why not nerf it? If it's not working in any meaningful way anyways. Other profs don't need it to tank and they have damage shields too even when you do use it for others. From where I sit, it was always a rather useless nano yet for some reason, people are QQ about it's nerf? Yeah. Like I said, I know how it works, I use it. I can also read the database. It breaks on a sneeze or a fart. Broken junk tools have to go.
    Last edited by Obtena; Nov 30th, 2010 at 02:26:34.

Right, so my question is why not nerf it? If it's not working in any meaningful way anyways. Other profs don't need it to tank and they have damage shields too even when you do use it for others. From where I sit, it was always a rather useless nano yet for some reason, people are QQ about it's nerf? Yeah. Like I said, I know how it works, I use it. I can also read the database. It breaks on a sneeze or a fart. Broken junk tools have to go.
    While it doesn't make things easy, it does help. Quite a bit. You know, you can have advantageous tools without them being OP. In fact, for years, engineers have been begging for DVP to get BOOSTED so it's less crappy than it is. FC seems to want to do the opposite.
    Waiting for a cure.

In tight situations it does help enforcers tank multiple mobs more effectively. This is best done by the engineer and the enforcer coordinating their behavior (i.e. "I've taunted this stuff plenty, refresh blind now").

It allows engineers to pretty much ignore green adds that would demolish us due to our low evades without it, which most professions can also safely ignore. The green spirits around Conflagrant Spirit are a nice example of this. All four of my 220s can ignore those adds, but when we lose the blind aura, my engineer will not be able to.
    <Lazy> who knew ao f*rum denizens were such homophobes?

Lordstage Free to do anything
    Byracka iddqd
    Battlespork Eats what he kills
    Bloodforbaal Utter bastard
    Pinealgland Too weird to live, and too rare to die
    Dagenham Radioactive courier
    Fascinated Elderly nature enthusiast

Again, that's nice, but it's hard to see how AOE blinds that fits reasonably into the engi toolset anyways. It's not a stretch to see why it's getting nerfed. Even the method that you have to get the tool to work in a semi-functioning way isn't intended. It's a pulsing aura, but no one waits for the pulsing, they just spam it for maximum effectiveness.
    Last edited by Obtena; Nov 30th, 2010 at 02:37:10.

Again, that's nice, but it's hard to see how AOE blinds that fits reasonably into the engi toolset anyways. It's not a stretch to see why it's getting nerfed. Even the method that you have to get the tool to work in a semi-functioning way isn't intended. It's a pulsing aura, but no one waits for the pulsing, they just spam it for maximum effectiveness.
    So because something works differently than you would like it to, it should be nerfed?
    Waiting for a cure.

Than I would like it? Replace that with "how FC would like it" and maybe you are going somewhere. Am I a puppeteer? Do I have a little stage with FC Dev marionettes? I'm saying I can see why it's been nerfed from the POV that AOE blinds just don't fit the concept of engis. I'm flattered you want to make this about me, but it's not. FC are putting these things in place, don't make me your scapegoat because I happen to agree with it. I'm not seeing alot of objectivity around here. AOE blinds are a poorly implemented tool used in a nonsensical way to get some crippled functionality from them in order to make up for a broken pet tanking toolset.

Maybe most engis are happy with a situation that they need massive AOE blinds that break on anything to get a half-working method to tank stuff with their pets. I know I'm not.
    Last edited by Obtena; Nov 30th, 2010 at 04:22:14.

Than I would like it? Replace that with "how FC would like it" and maybe you are going somewhere ... I'm not suggesting and implementing these changes, FC is. Am I a puppeteer? Do I have a little stage with FC dev marionettes? NO. I'm just saying I can see why it's been nerfed from the POV that AOE blinds just don't fit the concept of engis.
    Call it smoke grenades. Solved.
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

Situations where current aoe blind is useful:
    - managing low level adds (up to green ones). Other profs can safely just ignore them.
    - mongo+blind actions on large scale encounters (apf42, 35, pande), nice support for enf
    - soloing via blinds = attack mob, when pets low on hp stop attack, blind and heal pets, repeat
    Situations where "new" single target nerfed blind will be useful:
    none

Understand?
    RK1: Amickson 220/30 ENG - equip, Aztea 220/30 MA - equip, Adirae 220/30 ENF

Is there a way to completely set Obtena on ignore?
    He's like technogen 2.0 - no clue what he's talking about, just trolling and trolling and trolling...

really would like to filter his comments out of threads =)
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast